What's new

Hello to All Who Just Watched Going Clear! :wave:

johnAnchovie

Still raging
Hello. Today I watched Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief.

I was in scientology for 20 years. I am in my 7th year of working my way out of the installed phobias, the black and white thinking, and the mess my life became due to my years in the cult.

I loved the way the documentary was constructed. It's a huge subject to tackle. A fine piece of work, capturing what being a scientologist is really like. It is, by far, the best documentary I've seen on the subject - and I've watched them all as part of my recovery.

It is a very layered documentary - there is a lot in it. People who have never been exposed to the cult are being introduced to some very serious, very real, aspects of cult life. As an ex-scientologist, it brought back a lot of memories of what it was like to live in a cult bubble and be truly devoted to Hubbard's strange ideas. The depictions of the e-meter and the euphoric feelings around e-meter auditing (counselling) triggered me a little, and I felt tinges of old shame flicker deep inside.

I was very moved by the ex-scientologists in the documentary. I sat here, nodding, saying "yeah, I know what you mean. I know exactly what you mean."

It has been a big day and it's going to take me a while to process all that the documentary presents - and represents.

I feel throwing my arms into the air and roaring from a mountain top "I feel heard! I feel a fresh sense of vindication."

My sincerest thanks and love to all involved in the making of this documentary. From my heart to yours, may we all find peace.

I do not know what else to say. I feel utterly inarticulate. I can't seem to string sentences together or find anything funny to say. I think I just need to be quiet and still.

Tonight I just wish I had not wasted most of my adult life in the cult of scientology. Tomorrow I'll dust myself off, get back up, and keep walking further into my new life. It does get easier, I promise.

What a lovely, thoughtful, honest and vulnerable statement. Thanks.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Originally Posted by sallydance --snipped--

I do not know what else to say. I feel utterly inarticulate. I can't seem to string sentences together or find anything funny to say. I think I just need to be quiet and still.

Cool.

Reminds me in a way of Face's reaction. . .

Reminds me in a way of my own reaction...

I am back to posting junk as though "business as usual"--but saying nothing at all about my feelings about the documentary, yet.

As I mentioned to a cool friend of mine, I am somewhat still "inside" of that film.

I don't know what I think of it yet. And I don't know why I don't know.

I am, I guess, still floating atop some vibe that the documentary seems to hold things aloft with. I don't really know what it is. . .wait, i keep repeating that. lol

So curious.

tetloj

Silver Meritorious Patron
Haven't seen doco yet but just wanted to share my little realisation from today (regarding exes)

People leaving Scientology experience shame and the antidote to shame is being able to speak openly about your experience with a compassionate and non-judgmental audience.

While ESMB/WWP/OCMB/the Bunker have provided a place for exes to talk about their experiences in a reasonably safe environment, this probably has not been possible in the wider world to many.

This doco is a huge move in the direction of all exes being able to talk about their experiences without shame - to colleagues, new acquaintances etc. Maybe even potential employers when big gaps in work history are noticed (ok - that might be going too far!)

What a relief.

Of course all this is possible because of those individuals who have been opening up, bit by bit over the years.

If you read the tweets today it is clear that most people understand that Scientology did something bad to good people. There were still some of the usual 'never-happen-to-me' and 'just-like-all-religions' but they were in the minority.

The tweetiverse is telling exes - you have nothing to be ashamed about.

:arose:

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Haven't seen doco yet but just wanted to share my little realisation from today (regarding exes)

People leaving Scientology experience shame and the antidote to shame is being able to speak openly about your experience with a compassionate and non-judgmental audience.

While ESMB/WWP/OCMB/the Bunker have provided a place for exes to talk about their experiences in a reasonably safe environment, this probably has not been possible in the wider world to many.

This doco is a huge move in the direction of all exes being able to talk about their experiences without shame - to colleagues, new acquaintances etc. Maybe even potential employers when big gaps in work history are noticed (ok - that might be going too far!)

What a relief.

Of course all this is possible because of those individuals who have been opening up, bit by bit over the years.

If you read the tweets today it is clear that most people understand that Scientology did something bad to good people. There were still some of the usual 'never-happen-to-me' and 'just-like-all-religions' but they were in the minority.

The tweetiverse is telling exes - you have nothing to be ashamed about.

:arose:

Thank you for this. It really helps. I want to write more about shame and vulnerability. Not tonight, my brain is in over-load.

“If we can share our story with someone who responds with empathy and understanding, shame can't survive.”
Brené Brown

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I've known this stuff for years, to have it condensed into a 2 hour no ads film for the general public was amazing. Especially for it to be shown to the American people, a country that sees the word church and treats the group with respect, respect that hasn't been earned. This was an Historic moment and I felt privileged to have been there watching it live on my little lap top in the little old UK.

The staff at OSA will be watching this film so they can 'handle' members. I do hope many of them 'cognite' and leave.

Goodbye church of scientology!:yes:

JustSheila

Crusader
The movie had quite a deep impact on me, too.

In the last few weeks, events in my own life have come to a sort of ending. I should be thrilled, happy, excited about starting a new life, but I haven't been feeling that way, even though I want to feel that way more than anything.

Twice in the last week or so I lost my temper with some people on ESMB. It was odd. Not that I'd lose my temper (I do that sometimes, oh well) but more the subject that made me lose it. Trying so hard to understand and relate to others that I went way beyond my personal convictions in doing so. Hmmm.

Was I depressed? Was I sick? Was something wrong with me? How many times have I asked myself these sorts of questions since leaving Scientology? How many times have I looked inside myself for an answer? Maybe, instead, the problem was that I ask myself these kinds of questions so frequently.

This past weekend I'd gone to Sydney's festival of colours. It was relaxing, fun, entertaining. There were yoga demonstrations, so I participated in one. It had a remarkable effect on me, because of one simple yoga thought, "I am not guilty."

Yeh. That one needed a few days to sink in.

It means I owe no apologies, that I don't have to spend my life making up for some imagined wrong. It means I am fine just the way I am, and if anyone doesn't like it, well, that's their choice and it doesn't mean it affects me unless that person is someone close to me. They can have their views and I can have mine. Even if it is someone close to me, if I've done my best and I'm still doing my best, then I am not guilty.

It's amazing sometimes the way some of our most noble actions can be twisted by others. Guilt is something imposed on us by those that blame. Those that blame the most, that gossip the most, criticize the most and do their best to control us aren't the ones who worry about whether their own actions are good or not. Miserable and empty, some can't even conceive of the idea that anyone would just spend years sacrificing their time and efforts to benefit another person, family member or group. So they accuse. Accuse the good-hearted person of having bad intentions; they take good deeds and find a way to make them appear bad. They ostracize, criticize, alienate. They form cliques just to let others know they aren't welcome, they treat others as inferior only in order to feel superior. They are jealous of those who can give from the heart and criticise them, always, for not giving enough to everybody all the time. It's something they can't do, but we're nominated to be their hearts and do all their good acts for them while being bashed for it.

They use our hearts to control us with guilt for all the things we couldn't do, didn't do perfectly. It is never enough. So we worry about what's wrong with us, always thinking we're inferior.

Watching Going Clear really brought that concept home:

I am not guilty.

Thank you, Alex Gibney, for showing this to the world.

Now I can have some self confidence again.

whoisxenu

Patron with Honors
Just saw it. Best thing - Spanky Taylor injected a glimpse of what drew people to it; also she seems such a nice woman to be utterly crushed by the robotic ass*oles like that guy in the disconnection video that surfaced today.:hug::console:

Biggest surprise - they left out Hubbard's complete College and HS records fakery and his claiming to be a nuclear physicist, etc.:nono:

Purple Rain

Crusader
I am not offended by the idea that you think it was "flawed". I just don't see it that way. I see that it is what it is and in a two hour time span I am sure A LOT was left on the cutting room floor and a definite path was followed with all audience members taken into account, least of which (in my opinion and rightly so) were former members. That would would be a silly audience to commercially cater to, being so much smaller than the public at large.

No two-hour documentary will include everything. A comprehensive series on this cult could go for a whole season, with many episodes.

I just wish that HBO would release the 4 hour docudrama on Hubbard. There must be a real market for it now this has whet the world's appetite.

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
:happydance: :welcome2: :happydance:

I just stood up. It gives me the giggles how high the guest numbers are. Normally, always, to any given time of day, the relation between members and guests was 1:10, not diverting from that for more than 20%. And look at that:

ESMB said:
There are currently 1139 users online. 35 members and 1104 guests