What's new

PAC 1977 Rock Slam RPF - Wayne Marple

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Dunny. iPad doesn't like the word and keeps correcting me. :blush: :duh: sorry Apple fans, this is a hard adjustment for a DOS user. apologies for typos.

our-aussie-dunny_o_634574.jpg

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
(I had said that I would post any references of Wayne Marple if I found them and I have found some so I'll post them in a series. These are partial cut and pastes so please follow the links to see the full text, TOBB)

http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/letter-cadet.htm

Some time around late 1976, Wayne Marple was sent to PAC (Pacific Area Command) with orders from Hubbard. The mission was dubbed "A Commodore's Mission" and was run from Flag as FMO 1674. (FMO means Flag Mission Order). Wayne had another "missionnaire" by the name of Jack Dirmann as his "Mission 2nd". Jack's wife at the time was Irene Dirmann, who was the Commanding Officer at ASHO Day, which was the "org" I was working in.
Wayne, as the FMO 1674 1st, ordered a mandatory briefing for all Sea Org staff. The order was given that all staff were to report for a briefing by the "missionnaires"; the briefing was to be held in the Saint Hill Special Briefing Course courseroom of ASHO after dinner. At that time, ASHO located at 2723 West Temple Street in Los Angeles. This was prior to the LA area "orgs" moving into the old Cedars of Lebanon Hospital Complex (aka Big Blue, or Pacific Area Command) in Hollywood, where ASHO is presently located.
During the briefing, Wayne announced that he and Jack had purchased a property and a building which was to be the new location for the Cadet Organization (this is the name of the "org" for children of Sea Org parents). Soon the Cadet Org was to be moved from its current location on Melrose Avenue. Wayne explained that the new facility was in a location quite a distance from ASHO and the other PAC "orgs". He informed us that due to the distance from the "org", parents would not be allowed to live with, nor would they be allowed to see their children every day.
It would "cut across production" too much, he explained. The Sea Org was busy "clearing the planet", and if parents were to spend time driving to and from the new Cadet Org in order to spend an hour per day with their children, it would simply not be "the greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics".
After all, the "highest purpose in the universe" is being a dedicated Sea Org member and helping "the Commodore" achieve the Sea Org's "purpose" -- "getting ethics in on this planet and the universe". It would hurt "production stats" if parents were "off post" each day to spend time with their children.
We were told in no uncertain terms, that "counter intention" to the "Commodore's orders" would result in severe punishment, such as assignment to the "Rehabilition Project Force", or "RPF".
"This *IS* the Commodore's intention", Wayne commanded, in a "Tone 40" voice, "and *no* counter-intention will be allowed to cut across the Commodore's orders." Wayne further informed us, in no uncertain terms, that "no HE&R would be allowed" (HE&R means human emotion and reaction) since that is a "response from the reactive mind".

I would have been a child at the Melrose when this occurred (I would have been 4). My mom would have been at that briefing, as she was ASHO staff at that time. I did not know that this happened back then. I remember that we were moved from the Melrose to the Fountain building (which is straight down LRH Way, next to the parking structure) and we were there for some time, then the ATA (at corner of Fountain and Berendo) was purchased and the older kids were sent over there and that was made into the Cadet Org (I would not have been at the Fountain building too long because you could be a Cadet at age 5).

I find it very very hard to understand how a parent would put up with this (Now that I have a 5 year old and 2 year old). My mom not only allowed us to be separated and barely ever see us, then shortly after she was sent to the RPF, helped do all the work on the PAC building (big blue), then was deemed incorrectly assigned to the RPF and just kept on in the Sea Org. This year she will "celebrate" 45 years in the Sea Org.

I just don't understand the attraction whatsoever. After living it for 32 years, I was happy to walk away.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
<snip>

I just don't understand the attraction whatsoever. After living it for 32 years, I was happy to walk away.

Yes, my feelings entirely. I was a public for over 15 years and had many, many staff/SO recruitment interviews but I never gave in.

I even remember one interview when I was asked what I would do if I had a choice of either joining the Sea Org or leaving Scientology.

I said I would leave Scientology. Even though I was a believer in the tech I thought the Sea Org, as an organization, was nuts.

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
I noticed a perverse sense of pleasure that many folks had when doing all-nighters and enduring lower ethics conditions; much like the 'esprit de corps' some knuckleheads feel when experiencing boot camp. It takes a certain kind of mental makeup to be a long-timer in the SO, meseems.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
I noticed a perverse sense of pleasure that many folks had when doing all-nighters and enduring lower ethics conditions; much like the 'esprit de corps' some knuckleheads feel when experiencing boot camp. It takes a certain kind of mental makeup to be a long-timer in the SO, meseems.

True, but I think in the case of born and raised in Scn (or the Sea Org), one would join because they know nothing else, and have no idea about anything about the real world (surprisingly there are quite a few of those in the Sea Org still). I endured 17 years in the Sea Org (joined when I was still a child at age 15) before I finally decided I had enough and left and had to learn about everything. It was worth it.

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
True, but I think in the case of born and raised in Scn (or the Sea Org), one would join because they know nothing else, and have no idea about anything about the real world (surprisingly there are quite a few of those in the Sea Org still). I endured 17 years in the Sea Org (joined when I was still a child at age 15) before I finally decided I had enough and left and had to learn about everything. It was worth it.

Hooray for having the flexibility of mind to leave. :thumbsup:

I can't imagine what it would be like to be raised in those circumstances and indoctrinated in that stuff from birth. Often what we experience when very young tends to become set in concrete and the thinking patterns arising from that are difficult to change.

:)

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi Cat's Squirrel.

PAC Base = Pacific Area Command Base .......I think.

Also know as.....Big Blue....and "The Complex"

It is the old Cedars of Lebanon Hospital buildings complex in Los Angeles....

There a lot of " Church Organizations " there..... ASHO, LA Org, AOLA, FOLO, and others....

Edited: Don't know much about it....but the Sea Org....has divided up the world into different " Command Areas..." LA is home to the "Pacific" one....

Just a side note. The US Military has a similar set up....( at least the Navy does....not sure about the Army or others....)

I suppose Hubbard must have copied this.

The US Navy Commanders of these "zones" have huge budgets...and rule them as "fiefdoms...." so to speak...

Hate to talk of the Sea Org and the US Navy in the same post.....doesn't sit right...but as Hubbard was in the US Navy for awhile....I can't just ignore the similarities.

FOLO (Flag Operations Liaison Office) was the regional extension of the Flag Bureau and it was located on the ground floor of the Main Building. That entry across from AOLA on the corner of Fountain and N. Berendo Ave./Hubbard Way went straight into FOLO.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.095...!1e1!3m2!1sX3r1vBK_f9opj3nKdzZ_pw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Collectively the orgs in the Los Angeles area were part of PAC (Pacific Area Command) but FOLO was the administrative anchor. However, in reality FOLO was a servant to the CMO (Commodore's Messenger Org) where DM was a young MOD (Messenger On Duty) for R at the time. It would have been virtually impossible for an MOD to not know the intimate details about the PAC RPF and an MOD wields a lot of authority in the name of LRH.

Around this time there were surveys being conducted on the potential future name of the Complex and the one being emphasized the most was "Pacifica". To my recollection there were problems with this name though. Maybe it was my own perception, but it seemed kind of contrived and like the name had already been favored by someone involved with the survey and they were just trying to back it up with the survey. Like Flag, the Los Angeles orgs were now all in one place where it clearly was a "Base" per public perception as well as organizationally, therefore "Pacifica Base".

There was no internet at the time and I recall making an extra effort to look it up. All I could determine was that it was Spanish for the Pacific Ocean or as an adjective it meant peaceful. I remember thinking, "So why not just say "Pacific", that is what we do say after all?"

Apparently at some point somebody at the top pulled this old survey out, dusted it off and proudly baptized the Complex as "Pacifica Base".

Leland

Crusader

PAC....was loosely used to name "the Complex..."...and used perhaps incorrectly as interchangeable with Big Blue...or "the Complex"

I never knew where it was....but assume at PAC Base....there is an actual PAC office somewhere.

Don't know the extent of the regions that PAC is over....

Each Org at the Complex.....had a Commanding Officer.....

But at one point in the 90's....there was a guy, that the Public was introduced to at some briefing as the "actual" PAC Commanding Officer.

He was about 6 feet.....WASP type......and what struck me....wore very finely crafted, aviator style eyeglasses....the frames of which were EXTREMELY delicate...as to be almost not there...or invisable. It struck me that he might have been embarrassed that he had to wear glasses at all....

I use to see him walking around the Base once in a while.

I don't know the signifigance of the Cult's use of the word BASE.....as opposed to Org. I suppose BASE is a collection of building or compound....as in INT Base....

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Paulette Cohen.

Though she was just the scapegoat.

LRH ran this whole evolution personally. Bitty Miscavige was in charge of it. (I read the advices.)

We seem to be figuring out that this scapegoating was standard operating procedure. If you proceed from the premise that "Source" was infallible, then by definition someone else must always be responsible for the big mistakes and bad PR.

It also explains why Comm-Evs (Committee of Evidence) come across more as tribunals.

So for the benefit of our readers, if I got this right: Paulette Cohen was just an auditor who was given the task of verifying on the e-meter R/Ses (Rock Slams) which were being systematically culled from staff PC folders under the order of Wayne Marple who was the IC (In-Charge) of an LRH Mission. After up to 200 staff were assigned to the RPF for R/Ses it was later determined that Paulette had mistaken innocuous Dirty Needle reads for the very serious R/Ses.

Is that a correct assessment?

Can we assume that Paulette was also assigned to the RPF?

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Holy smoke. And this post below certainly gives the lie to all those people (including FZers, and I've met some of them) who say that LRH was a decent and principled guy and everything in the Scn garden was rosy until DM turned up and ruined everything.

Thank you Cat's Squirrel! There are contributors here who go back much farther than myself and there are quite a few who go back to the pre DM period. However, even for someone like myself who witnessed the PAC RPF in the 70s, it was a revelation to hear Hana Whitfield describe the way the RPF was applied previously on the ship. I think it is fair to say that most of us at the time thought what was happening in PAC was an aberration that would be ultimately resolved and never repeated. Now we know it was routine and LRH was the prime creator and instigator.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/04/23/se...ibe-l-ron-hubbard-in-a-leaked-1997-interview/

I personally do not understand or know the FZ but anyone who is still a cheerleader for LRH needs to understand this history. While in the SO, you just don't go around seeking or stirring up gossip and you sure aren't conducting internet research to find out what is happening around you in other orgs or up-lines. So even within the bubble there are bubbles within bubbles. It is amazing that 30+ years later I can now find out more than I could on staff at the time. So even veterans who were at Flag or Saint Hill during the 1970s PAC RPF may not have known what it was really like.

Veda

Sponsor
Patterns

We seem to be figuring out that this scapegoating was standard operating procedure. If you proceed from the premise that "Source" was infallible, then by definition someone else must always be responsible for the big mistakes and bad PR.

It also explains why Comm-Evs (Committee of Evidence) come across more as tribunals.

So for the benefit of our readers, if I got this right: Paulette Cohen was just an auditor who was given the task of verifying on the e-meter R/Ses (Rock Slams) which were being systematically culled from staff PC folders under the order of Wayne Marple who was the IC (In-Charge) of an LRH Mission. After up to 200 staff were assigned to the RPF for R/Ses it was later determined that Paulette had mistaken innocuous Dirty Needle reads for the very serious R/Ses.

Is that a correct assessment?

Can we assume that Paulette was also assigned to the RPF?

It seems unlikely that anyone hasn't seen these quotes, but here they are just in case. :)

From a 1986 interview of Martin Samuels, former Mission Holder, and founder of the Delphian School:

Hubbard operated according to a couple of key patterns.

The first pattern involved basically decent well intentioned people... no one was able to rise in the organization to a point of any real proximity to him, without being attacked and vilified...

The next pattern: It's reap and rape. Hubbard would let the reins loose. He'd let people believe they really could get on with it... He'd let people believe they really could prosper to the full extent of their own ability, and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

And, with that kind of freedom, prosperity does occur, Inevitably, though, he'd come along and rape and pillage and rip off and take what had been produced. The most dramatic example of this was '82, '83, when he 'raped' his most decent people in management along with the mission holders, and looted the entire mission network.

And look at this pattern... He surrounded himself with absolute hooligans as 'managers'; guys who beat the shit out of people. This man, who 'is this OT, the author of Science of Survival, completely able to predict human behavior', surrounded himself with ruthless people - like Miscavige - who got there because they emulated Hubbard's savagery. They emulated his total willingness to completely break, use, and discard another person.

And then after their hands were so bloody - and the only reason their hands were bloody was that they were doing what Hubbard wanted - when it finally started to get to the point where it couldn't be tolerated by people anymore, Hubbard wiped them out. Then he said. 'My God! I didn't know!' Scapegoat. He even did that to his own wife, who went to jail in his place...

An excerpt from Russell Miller's interview of David Mayo, from August 1986:

...From time to time, Hubbard would cancel such activities like the chain locker, and blame it on someone else... He would start such pronouncements with, 'It has just come to my attention...'

And for those who feel that while Hubbard may have had anger management issues, the auditing tech and the "Bridge" were sacrosanct, there's this from a 1989 article on Clear by David Mayo:

It was PR and marketing considerations that led Hubbard to decide that certain people were 'clear' at a certain point...​

And some more from the 1986 Miller interview of David Mayo:

He told me he was obsessed with an insatiable lust for power and money. He said it very emphatically. He thought it wasn't possible to get enough. He didn't say it as if it was a fault, just his frustration that he couldn't get enough.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

When the order and emergency story came down lines you were either on-board with it or in trouble. What generally appeared as 'esprit de corps' was just a lot of self reassuring ra! ra!

Lets hear 3 Cheers for LRH! Hip, Hip! Hooray!

F. Bullbait, "Booooooo!".

Not going to happen.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Apparently at some point somebody at the top pulled this old survey out, dusted it off and proudly baptized the Complex as "Pacifica Base".

Yeah. I was there for ten years and never thought of the P in PAC as anything other than Pacific, as in ocean, as that made sense. I remember once seeing a fancy blue sign saying "Pacifica" and thinking huh?

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Dunny. iPad doesn't like the word and keeps correcting me. :blush: :duh: sorry Apple fans, this is a hard adjustment for a DOS user. apologies for typos.

Kill autocorrect and have a party!

From the iPad Home Screen, go to Settings and tap on General.
Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and tap on the Keyboard setting.
Slide to set Check Spelling and Auto-Correction to ON or OFF.

:party:

Paul

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah. I was there for ten years and never thought of the P in PAC as anything other than Pacific, as in ocean, as that made sense. I remember once seeing a fancy blue sign saying "Pacifica" and thinking huh?

Paul

Exactly! It was a real "Huh" moment back then and it is now. I guess its Pacifica Base for the staff and Pacifica Bridge for the public. I get a kick out of that, like what do the public make of it? "Oh, Bridge - that must be that catwalk thing between ASHO and the Main Building."

I'm expecting it to get renamed "Pacifica Mecca", but then they will need to replace the cross with a crescent moon and star.

Leland

Crusader
When the order and emergency story came down lines you were either on-board with it or in trouble. What generally appeared as 'esprit de corps' was just a lot of self reassuring ra! ra!

Lets hear 3 Cheers for LRH! Hip, Hip! Hooray!

F. Bullbait, "Booooooo!".

Not going to happen.

Yes!

Sometimes difficult for a "Public" to get that the Sea Org....was a MILITARY organization.....and ran on Orders...and Command hierarchy.

Leland

Crusader
Exactly! It was a real "Huh" moment back then and it is now. I guess its Pacifica Base for the staff and Pacifica Bridge for the public. I get a kick out of that, like what do the public make of it? "Oh, Bridge - that must be that catwalk thing between ASHO and the Main Building."

I'm expecting it to get renamed "Pacifica Mecca", but then they will need to replace the cross with a crescent moon and star.

Paul

I had thought is might be a nod to...and trying to include the Latins in the make-up of Los Angeles....But

In Spanish, Pacific is Pacifico.

Latin words can designate masculine by a word ending in O....and feminine ....with a word ending in A.

So the Cult....seems to have, with the use of Pacifica.......not understood that Latins would take this as Feminine....and a miss spelling of Pacifico....in their language...

Or they copied the name of a Chrysler....of the same name...

Last edited: