What's new

Chris Shelton - Critical Thinker at Large - YouTube channel

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
[video]https://youtu.be/mTgrbrUhoXI[/video]

Scientology's Dark Side: An Interview with Tony Ortega
Originally posted on YouTube on July 18, 2015

Tony Ortega is a journalist who has worked for over 20 years to expose Scientology's dark underbelly and Gestapo tactics. He not only publishes a daily blog called The Underground Bunker (http://tonyortega.org) but has now written a book called The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, available on amazon. Tony has been doing an international book tour promoting his book and stopped off at The Secular Hub here in Denver, where I was privileged to interview him about his book and Scientology in general.

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
[video]https://youtu.be/yJ8wP5QmrKU[/video]

Critical Thinking #14
Originally posted on YouTube on July 19, 2015

The latest in my ongoing series where I answer questions left for me in the comments section of my Q&A videos or sent to me by email at [email protected]. This week the questions I take up are:

(1) After Going Clear and the media backlash, the image of the church is all but destroyed. However shadow organizations, such as Narconon, still lure in unsuspecting public. What other organizations exist that the public should be made aware of?

(2) Is there any chance of the COS becoming a hot political item, perhaps being championed by a particular politician? Isn't it time a well known politician took a stand and made it clear to the COS that it's living on borrowed time and needs to initiate its own reforms or face investigation?
(3) Does Dave have any humanity or kindness in him? I mean look how he has treated Shelly. Do you think that he may have been a decent person if he hadn't become a Scientologist or if he would have still been a little arsehole but maybe on a smaller scale?
AND
I'm interested in learning about David Miscavige's 'human' side - and whether he even has one - because I don't believe anyone can be all bad or all good. Is he ever seen to laugh - like a proper side-splitting laugh - or does he, as I picture, only do evil Mutley snickers into his sleeve while watching high ranking publics' videoed auditing sessions? Has he ever been known to show
kindness to anybody? Is it the worst-kept secret amongst the Sea Org that Laurisse Stuckenbrock is more than a glorified PA? Has anyone seen them skipping, holding hands, through the detritus of Tom and Nicole's wildflower meadow? Does David Miscavige ever 'give' or does he only ever 'take away'?

(4) Did you recall much in the way of past lives in your auditing? Any past life that was really outrageous or incredible? Did the memories feel real? And now that you're out, what are your views on the past lives that you remembered?
(5) Hi Chris, you said that believing there is no god is a belief that requires faith... what about Russel's Teapot and the knowledge that belief is a comforting and pleasant thing for poor, rather smart mammals that are burdened with self-awareness and knowledge of their future death? In science there is never certainty, (theory of gravity) but the evidence and the historical evidence seem to show that religion and the idea of god is man-made, and therefore although not 100% certain, the default position until data supports the hypothesis of theism, is atheism.
I know atheism is a dirty word these days thanks to militant atheists, but what are your thoughts on being tolerant of non-harmful belief but not believing?
(6) Being as the CoS believes that the universe is trillions of years old instead of the 13.5 billion it actually is and given the whole Xenu story in OT3, how does the CoS deal with natural history as has been deduced through science?

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
[video]https://youtu.be/aVGyTi0F4NA[/video]

Label Me, Negate Me, Hate Me
Originally posted on YouTube on July 22, 2015

Across social media, news and entertainment, generalized labels are be used to foster intolerance and hatred towards those who we do not understand or care to find out about. This creates irrational thinking, keeps prejudice in place and prevents true understanding.

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
[video]https://youtu.be/5YUfhRZ3iro[/video]

Critical Thinking #15
Originally posted on YouTube on July 25, 2015

The latest in my ongoing series where I answer questions left for me in the comments section of my Q&A videos or sent to me by email at [email protected]. This week the questions I take up are:
(1) I had good friends in the Sea Org. After I left, it was impossible to have any contact with them anymore. Many of them would be getting on in age now so my question is what do they do with Sea Org members who become an assisted care problem, or for some reason is too old to be of use? I know they off-load them, but surely they don't just kick them to the street, as that would be bad PR. What public assistance would these guys be able to get after a life of almost no wages nor Social Security? What happens to them?
(2) I became fascinated with Scientology about 8 years ago. My brother took a few courses in Orange County in the early 80's when he was about 20 years old and still living with my parents. 20 years later, my brother and I grew up, married, had families, etc. Our dad was sick so I had his mail forwarded to my house. Next thing I knew, on a regular basis, mail, flyers, full color magazines and pamphlets began flooding my mail box, all addressed to my brother. I knew enough to not contact COS because I'd heard horror stories from friends. I moved to a new home in 2007. My home phone number is not listed but one day, my landline rang and the caller ID said COS. I usually ignore calls, but answered this one. The person asked for my brother. I yelled at the guy that he was creepy for calling me since my brother and I haven't lived in the same house since we were kids. I told him that my number was registered with donotcall.org and that I wasn't interested in his cult. He laughed wryly, I hung up.
Here's my question: WTF? How did they manage to get my phone number and why would they even bother? Do they get ANY people to return this way? What a colossal waste of time and resources. Pretty horrible PR, right?
(3) Okay, so, if Scientology shuts down tomorrow, just goes bankrupt and ruined and completely gone, are you worried that someone would leak PC folders? Would there be legal boundaries or protections to prevent such leaking?
(4) Chris, why can't members see that "COB" isn't trying to bring new people into the church? Do they truly not see that the buildings are getting bigger, but not anything beyond that is being done? They have to realize that there is no real push to expand COS. Also, does Dorf on cults go by COB to be more like LRH?

(5) Why is it that most in Scientology feel like they have all the answers to life? More so than the rest of us? Thank you.
(6) Thank you so much for the highly important effort you put into your channel! I love watching your videos. My question is this: I've heard A LOT about the poor conditions and harsh treatment experienced by Sea Org members, for example in Flag or Int or Saint Hill etc. I've read about the limits on having a cell phone, a car, watching TV, keeping a passport and so on. But what about Sea Org members who occupy certain positions in local orgs? I've met some of them and they have cell phones, Facebook pages, and some use cars. Does that mean that these SO members have it better then those at higher orgs? Are they treated less harshly? Are they too sleep and food deprived and have heaps of pressure?
(7) Over the course of your career in the Sea Org, how much of your typical week or month involved indoctrination activities as opposed to working on projects? In other words, how frequent were group meetings, video screenings, or other activities designed to solidify your loyalty to the cause, the group identity, LRH or Miscavige? Was the volume of indoctrination fairly constant over the years, or were there periods of greater intensity?
(8) Chris, what do you think of one who enters Scientology now to get the benefit of the lower end of the bridge (and bail before it gets kooky and expensive)? Thanks!
(9) Hi Chris, When I listen to your videos you create the impression of being a person that is extremely well educated, with a useful knowledge of many subjects. You don't sound at all like a robot that has been sheltered from reality for years in the fantasy world of LRH's nonsense. In a recent video you quoted H. L. Mencken. I'd be surprised if anyone else in the scientology world has even heard of the man.You also recommended "Demon Haunted World." I can't imagine anyone actively in the Sea Org discovering that such a book exists, much less reading it Your videos are succinct and clear. There is no hint of, scientology jargon. How did you acquire such an abundant vocabulary, and learn to use it so well? What was your education and experience before joining Scientology? Have you simply voraciously consumed scientific and skeptical material since leaving Scientology, or did you have a scientific background that was always in the "background" even when you were in Scientology? I'm curious about this because you sound so level headed today that is seems impossible that you, (the only "you" that I've encountered) could have stuck around in Scientology for more than about 2 days before saying, "this is a load of crap, and I am OUT OF HERE!"

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

I love Chris Shelton's videos. What a superb title on that one (POST #43 THIS THREAD):

"LABEL ME, NEGATE ME, HATE ME"

Just Chris' title alone immediately inspired a theme song for his video--and Scientology--and Dr. Hubbard, mankind's greatest friend.

Here goes, to the tune of Nirvana's "Rape Me":

Rape me, rape me my greatest friend

Rape me, [STRIKE]rape[/STRIKE] reg me again
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one

Hate me
Do it and do it again

[STRIKE]Waste[/STRIKE] Declare me
[STRIKE]Rape[/STRIKE] Disconnect me, my greatest friend

I'm not the only one
[STRIKE]I'm not the only one[/STRIKE] I just attested to Grade one
[STRIKE]I'm not the only one [/STRIKE] I just attested to OT one
I'm not the only one who's 1.1

[video=youtube;_tntLGee5AI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tntLGee5AI[/video]

Last edited:

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
[video=youtube;JVXGAUMK7UM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVXGAUMK7UM[/video]

A Peek Behind the Curtain of Scientology - Part I

Scientology is a destructive cult, but how do its members fall for it and why? This is the first part of a critical analysis of the most key policy in all of Scientology, titled Keeping Scientology Working, and how this policy creates a cult mindset.

Billy Blinder

Patron with Honors
Good vid Chris. Looking forward to part 2. :thumbsup:

Here's some food for thought since you mentioned the us vs them mentality installed by Hubbard, as well as hisself self-aggrandizing. Also, the recent Nick Lister interview on Tony O blog where Nick talks about the recruitment process in which SO members really pump up how bad psych's are, etc.

The images belows are from the Source of Life Energy lecture series back in 1952. You'll have to click on the images to get a bigger picture. As you know, all staff and public are now to do "The Basics" and this series of lectures are on "The Basics" lineup. I don't know why I remembered these two short paragraphs by Hubbard, probably because as staff & public I was in disagreement with the IAS Status donations and also the Ideal Org dono thing, red flag for me.

Marty Rathburn even mentions in one of his interviews by media how Hubbard only wanted a game in attacking the pysch's, or something like that.

Lots of questions can be raised in these two paragraphs. And as Veda likes to say, Hubbard thoughout the years fine tuned his "black magic" or something like that.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 29
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 34

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
[video=youtube;sm22oDjMWpY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm22oDjMWpY[/video]

Critical Q&A #16

(1) I want to thank you for your videos! I also have a question for you. I was raised Christian, however, more and more I am seeing the hypocritical nature of most dedicated Christians that go to church for bible study and services on Sunday. I do not attend any church as I feel that a “group think” dynamic is dangerous. I don’t like being told what to believe. I have a “faith” but it is a personal faith. My question is why do so many Christians judge others so readily when they claim to be “saved by grace?”

(2) Nice video with Tony. Love your Q&A Videos. Some questions: Can you give us a history of where you were on staff and what were your posts? Have you apologized to anyone you wronged while on staff? How did that go?
(3) Hi Chris, do you think that the new Scientology TV network to be opened by Tom Cruise will be effective in gaining sufficient members to staff the all extravagant ideal orgs, or is it more likely to be just be another waste of Scientology parishioners’ money? I for one hope that it’s an expensive flop, but I can’t help wondering whether a vast continuous promotion ‘we have the answers for your mental health and the betterment of mankind’ is all that’s required to increase public acceptance and turn the tide.
(4) Hi! I made a comment on your Q & A video #5, in which I mentioned Scientology’s Life Improvement courses. I enrolled in a Personal Values & Integrity Course, and it was going along fine–I mean, I agreed with everything up till…I ended up skipping to the end of the materials one day, because I’m rebellious that way, and discovered that the last question was to write up all my overts/sins from the beginning of my life! As if that is even possible! Would you please address the real purpose of these courses (for one, intel-gathering)?
(5) I am a frequent visitor to the Underground Bunker. Recently, the comments section has been repeatedly trolled by users who attack people in The Bunker, and delete their posts to make the user look crazy when they reply. The current troll, “Ghost of Gon” has not been deleting, meaning the trolls are getting bolder. I and other Bunker users believe the Church of Scientology is putting the trolls up to it. Users have been decent and not stooped to their level, but it is trying.
Does CoS still have Staff or Sea Org trolling websites critical of Scientology? What is the reasoning behind this? Aren’t they afraid that the trolls will start poking around the internet, get the truth and turn Tory Magoo on them? Are they so full of themselves that they can’t see the danger?

(6) I have followed you since the inception of your channel. I must say that in videos at your site and elsewhere you “look” healthier and happier as time goes on. Congratulations! If an individual’s folder or file holds any confidential confessions, how do these remain as such when many workers can access or handle a folder? I see the cult begging for help with the enormous, outdated paper filing system. Moreover, can I assume that celebrity or important public scientologists’ folders are kept out of reach?
(7) How do you and other ex-Scientologists generally feel about the fascination that many never-ins like myself have for the subject of Scientology? Have you personally ever been bothered by the intense public interest? It’s no secret that there are a ton of people who follow breaking news in the weird world of Scientology with popcorn-munching, wide-eyed fascination. They (WE, let’s be honest) devour your videos and blog, as well as books, videos and websites put out by other ex-members, The Underground Bunker, “Going Clear” etc. And chances are, they end up sharing this interest with THEIR friends, some of whom inevitably become hooked themselves. That’s arguably a good thing, since the more exposure there is to the abuses of this tax-exempt organization, the more likely that they might be forced to change their ways and/or the more potential new members will stay away. But while I’m sure that you appreciate people’s interest for that reason at least, I also can’t help but wonder if it can feel a little weird that so many strangers are so intrigued by tales of your own personal abuse and suffering. Does it ever… well… seem a little creepy sometimes?

Chris - I need to tell you something about KSW #1 that you, and 99% of scientologists don't know.

Back when I was on the SHSBC at ASHO in Temple, on one of my trips to cramming, I was talking with Peaches Pook about that very PL. She told me about how it got on all of the checksheets. She was on the ship back in I guess the 70's before it got rereleased. She was going through the mimeo files and she ran across the 65' version of the pl. Pretty much, no one was aware of it's existence, or if they were, paid it hardly any attention. But she read it, and started putting on her student daily Reports to Ron how she was doing with the different points - like today my 2 was in but I could improve on 7 etc.

After a few days of this, her sup asked her: what in the hell is this 2 and 3 and 6 etc you writing in your reports? So Peaches showed her the pl. A few days later - it was rereleased by Hubbard, who had read her reports and knew exactly what she was referring to.

And the rest is history.

Mimsey

Leland

Crusader
Chris - I need to tell you something about KSW #1 that you, and 99% of scientologists don't know.

Back when I was on the SHSBC at ASHO in Temple, on one of my trips to cramming, I was talking with Peaches Pook about that very PL. She told me about how it got on all of the checksheets. She was on the ship back in I guess the 70's before it got rereleased. She was going through the mimeo files and she ran across the 65' version of the pl. Pretty much, no one was aware of it's existence, or if they were, paid it hardly any attention. But she read it, and started putting on her student daily Reports to Ron how she was doing with the different points - like today my 2 was in but I could improve on 7 etc.

After a few days of this, her sup asked her: what in the hell is this 2 and 3 and 6 etc you writing in your reports? So Peaches showed her the pl. A few days later - it was rereleased by Hubbard, who had read her reports and knew exactly what she was referring to.

And the rest is history.

Mimsey

Where is this Peaches Pook......I wanna kick her ass...:biggrin:

Peaches was hot! I had a crush on her - Smart! Oh yeah. I'd follow her anywhere. But. It wasn't to be. Plus she would have been a cougar if we did date. Rowww,

Anyway, We were true believers Leland, so what did you expect? She'd shred it and the original? As if!

But now you know a fun Scientology trivia fact, if anyone wants to make a Scientology Jeopardy game.:hattip:

Mimsy

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Peaches was hot! I had a crush on her - Smart! Oh yeah. I'd follow her anywhere. But. It wasn't to be. Plus she would have been a cougar if we did date. Rowww,

Anyway, We were true believers Leland, so what did you expect? She'd shred it and the original? As if!

But now you know a fun Scientology trivia fact, if anyone wants to make a Scientology Jeopardy game.:hattip:

Mimsy

Was she OT III and a student on SHSBC in 1975 (Temple street)?

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Go get 'er :biggrin:

285411_2136708330558_2232898_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/peaches.pook

Her cult cookie cutter Home page is not working - is she out?
http://home.oursites.net/peachespook/

Last available service known
Peaches Pook PTS/SP Course Source 169 2005-08-01
http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/p/peaches-pook.html

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
[video=youtube;DyLS7fakmRo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyLS7fakmRo[/video]

A Peek Behind the Curtain of Scientology - Part 2

In this second half of an analysis of Scientology's most core policy, called Keeping Scientology Working, we look at what it is about Scientology that drives its members into such a fanatical frame of mind that they would forsake their jobs, families and entire life in order to follow L. Ron Hubbard's words.

Billy Blinder

Patron with Honors
[video=youtube;DyLS7fakmRo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyLS7fakmRo[/video]

A Peek Behind the Curtain of Scientology - Part 2

In this second half of an analysis of Scientology's most core policy, called Keeping Scientology Working, we look at what it is about Scientology that drives its members into such a fanatical frame of mind that they would forsake their jobs, families and entire life in order to follow L. Ron Hubbard's words.

excellent.

It also falls in line with the tread here called Opening Pandora's box, the betrayal of the early actual founders of the tech in which hubbard stole, and created a mind controlling cult, called KSW 1965. I'm not saying Clear or OT exist, just providing a timeline, and I do not know if you have read the tread.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?33-OPENING-PANDORA-S-BOX-Part-One

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
[video]https://youtu.be/RNC2PXur8cE[/video]

Critical Q&A #17

The weekly show where I take up and answer questions people have left for me in the comments of my Q&A videos. The questions I take up this week are:

(1) Could you elaborate on touch assists? I do not hear it mentioned often but to my understanding it is actually one of the more unbelievable bits of hogwash the church tries to sell you on.

(2) Hi Chris thanks for all the information you have presented so far. I was curious about some of the OT material and found that LRH handwritten material hard to read (very poor handwriting). My question: For the lower level up to Clear, does he have a lot of handwritten material for the courses? If so how does anyone understand that horrid handwriting?
(3) It's maybe not fair of me to say the following, since I've never been in a cult and have a background in science rather than anything like religion. But what I see a lot as I watch online videos goes something like this: High level Scientologist acts like an evil piece of trash. Then he blows. Starts criticizing Scientology. He seems to feel no remorse for what he did, no need
to apologize, and all the critics seem to place the blame entirely on Scientology the Cult. Isn't there a place for taking personal responsibility here?
It seems like Miscavige and the dead LRH are blamed, but everyone else is just a cult victim. It's like blaming all of WWII on Hitler, and none on the people who carried out the evil. I understand that there's pressure not to leave the church, but with no guns stopping people, it's hard for me as an outsider to have that much sympathy for people who have clearly done evil. And if people
truly have so little capacity to act and think for themselves -- to even log onto a library computer in the corner to see what the opposition is saying about them -- what does that say about us as a species, our potential, our future? Are you an optimist about the species?

(4) I'm in the middle of Jenna Miscavige's memoir and I keep coming back to this central question: What is the deal with the E-Meter? Many times I've heard people describe their sec-checks and say that their answers were only secondary to what the needle was saying. I understand that most if not all Scientologists fully believe in the E-meter's accuracy but in your experience how accurate is it really? Are you able to trick it? Did there ever come a time when you were being audited and the E-meter was objectively giving a false reading? If that does happen how does the church explain it? Bad auditor? Faulty tech?
(5) I just now finished watching the HBO documentary, 'Going Clear' (I had read the book about a month ago) and I cried for all the individuals who have fled yet talked of the shame of being so taking with the cult. The sadness of those who can't communicate with those who remained in the cult just broke my heart. My question to you is did you as well experience that shame and hurt? You seem so together and confident now and I'm so pleased that you weren't 'ruined' as a
person because of your experience with the cult. You've turned a bad thing into something positive that teaches others. Do you still have moments of 'pain' caused by the cult?

(6) Great channel, I've recently become a never-in self declared SP. I'm a bit of an entheta junkie. Do you know if there are any movie plans in the works? I'd love to see Blown for Good written and directed by Paul Haggis, starring Jason Beghe as David Miscavige, if Tom Cruise blows in time maybe he could be cast as Marc Headley.
Also, I'm really curious to know your take on Tommy Davis? Did he blow or route out? My guess is that he routed out and will never risk being declared an SP and being disconnected from his parents and in-laws.

(7) Chris, when I was in Scientology, I knew that the RPF was a program that "bad" Sea Org members were sent to, but I always assumed it was something that lasted a few weeks to a few months. I didn't find out until years after I left Scientology that people spent YEARS on the RPF!! I've known some Scientologists who said there were parts of the RPF that they felt they really benefited from. Sometimes, people actually do their whole Bridge up to OT V, other times,
they do the False Purpose Rundown.
One ex-Scientologist told me that the RPF was like BDSM without a safety word, in that while you are dominated and degraded and forced to be submissive, there were potentially good things you get out of it. In the BDSM community, some people are willing to pay 150.00 an hour to be dominated and degraded, and it's all for fun, but on the RPF, you really are a slave and degraded, there is no safety word for when things get too intense and you need to stop, it can get too heavy, and it can be hard to get out of. Was there any part of the RPF you enjoyed or you felt you benefitted from? And do you agree with the BDSM analogy?

Bad Sign

Patron
Good vid Chris. Looking forward to part 2. :thumbsup:

Here's some food for thought since you mentioned the us vs them mentality installed by Hubbard, as well as hisself self-aggrandizing. Also, the recent Nick Lister interview on Tony O blog where Nick talks about the recruitment process in which SO members really pump up how bad psych's are, etc.

The images belows are from the Source of Life Energy lecture series back in 1952. You'll have to click on the images to get a bigger picture. As you know, all staff and public are now to do "The Basics" and this series of lectures are on "The Basics" lineup. I don't know why I remembered these two short paragraphs by Hubbard, probably because as staff & public I was in disagreement with the IAS Status donations and also the Ideal Org dono thing, red flag for me.

Marty Rathburn even mentions in one of his interviews by media how Hubbard only wanted a game in attacking the pysch's, or something like that.

Lots of questions can be raised in these two paragraphs. And as Veda likes to say, Hubbard thoughout the years fine tuned his "black magic" or something like that.

Great reference. Reminded me of some cognitive dissonance I use to have. Scios. use to say, "when in doubt ask yourself, what would Ron do?". Well he wouldn't let anyone run his life and dominate his own will. He would start his own religion(cult) and do whatever the fuck he wanted to do.

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
[video]https://youtu.be/XpVKMj5Sm04[/video]

Lloyd Evans is an ex-Jehovah's Witness and now an advocate against the destructive cult practices of that group. He has a YouTube channel under the name "John Cedars" and a website at http://jwsurvey.org. For the last three years he has been campaigning hard, doing excellent work to expose the crimes committed in the name of religion.

Lloyd and I decided to collaborate to compare the practices of Jehovah's Witnesses and Scientology, since they are both destructive cult practices which follow the BITE model as described by Steve Hassan in his book Combating Cult Mind Control.