What's new

Monique reportedly fires her legal team.

Anonycat

Crusader
No, but Marty was instrumental in raising funds for others to help with legal costs, Debbie Cook and Claire and Marc Headley. He also produced a a document which he published accounting for all the money send to him.

Funny that. When Debbie did her e-mail thing, I made and ran a sockpuppet account on Facebook, which Debbie and I (and Team Debbie), would chat in PMs with. One day, Debbie and I were chatting, and she complained to me about her legal bill, and gave me the exact amount she owed. I said, well Marty has raised -- I forget now the amount, but thousands of dollars -- for you. She had no idea! She asked me for a link, and I gave her a link to his blog, which documented his fundraising for her, completely unbeknownst to her. Marty is a trippy guy!

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
Funny that. When Debbie did her e-mail thing, I made and ran a sockpuppet account on Facebook, which Debbie and I (and Team Debbie), would chat in PMs with. One day, Debbie and I were chatting, and she complained to me about her legal bill, and gave me the exact amount she owed. I said, well Marty has raised -- I forget now the amount, but thousands of dollars -- for you. She had no idea! She asked me for a link, and I gave her a link to his blog, which documented his fundraising for her, completely unbeknownst to her. Marty is a trippy guy!

I know your point is that Marty didn't mention it to her before he started raising money, but I find it hilarious that someone would talk about legal issues with a sock puppet :) Must have been a very very good sock.

Anonycat

Crusader
I know your point is that Marty didn't mention it to her before he started raising money, but I find it hilarious that someone would talk about legal issues with a sock puppet :) Must have been a very very good sock.

No one rocks a sock like yours truly! We actually made friends through it, and she asked me for advice, like media connections I have, which she could use to speak out. Getting to know her, and she me, was a great time.

Edit: I was completely honest with her regarding myself, and she knew I was Anonymous, and in support of what she did regarding the e-mail.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Time for me to air my Marty out-rud again, couched as a humorous aside.
I wonder if I could assert a lien on any recovery. Marty's share, that is. :hmm:

By 1988 Marty had raided LRH's former ranch several times and absconded with a treasure trove of auditing folders and research notes. He knew by then (with total certainty I'm presuming) that OT 9&10 did not exist in any way, shape or form. However, that did not stop the RTC, which he was the head of at the time, from sending out an information letter in '91-92 from its office about OT 9&10 and regging money for the non-existent fantasy levels.

Possibly, that's a fraud he was directly complicit in. :whistling:

I wonder if I can get my $32K back from any future proceeds. Marty's share, that is. Can I get in line?
I know better. Just like to get in some well-deserved licks now and then. :coolwink: :shrug:

This is all one Holy WTF? for me. :confused2:

TX Lawyer says kinda where I'm at...The Folks that got you here are the best bet to get you the rest of the way. :coolwink:

Oye Effen Vey...It's not my shot to call and Gawd knows weeze don't gots all of the story. I'm sure Mosey has had enough of this crap already and that's her prerogative and we'll just have to wait and see how all this shakes out...There's always more to the fox than the tail. :ohmy:

Poor Monique...She, like the rest of Us, had no idea what she was stepping into and I wish her the best. :yes:

However, IL2K, going "Mutual out-ruds" with your "Marty out-rud", :hysterical: let me paraphrase/restate what I have Posted numerous times on ESMB over the last 6 or so years re: Spinnin' Marty:

I personally knew and interacted with Marty. I read his Blog for awhile (but had too much pride to buy his books). I didn't trust Marty back "in the days", I don't trust Marty now and never will, no matter what. Marty has Posted on the Net far too many bald face lies, self-serving prevarications and outright falsehoods about good and decent Folks I personally knew, events I personally witnessed and history that I personally lived and has never retracted, redacted or regretted ONE of those statements as he's "Walked his Path" to "Truth", "Enlightenment" and "Righteousness". :no:

Having said all that, when you get your $32K I'll throw you the biggest, bestest, bawdry bash you've ever seen.:clap::buzzin:

Face:)

Last edited:

Balthasar

Patron Meritorious
Originally Posted by Marty on his blog (emphasis in red mine)

....I have a record of every person who made donations to the Indies defense fund through my paypal account and by check mailed to me. I do not have addresses for you. For purposes of my record keeping I need to issue checks for refunds. If you want your money back from the Indies Defense Fund I collected the initial monies from please send your name and address to me at [email protected] along with the amount you donated and I will issue and mail you a check from the defense fund account. Please have patience since as you can see the account is nearly empty.

Accounting

14 Checks and cash payments received: 3,400.00

72 Paypal donations: 9,665.00

less 3.2% Paypal handling fee: (309.28)

Total received 12,755.72

Disbursements:

Check R Jeffrey retainer 13 Feb 5,000.00

Check R Jeffrey retainer 27 Feb 5,000.00

Rinder Tampa/S.A. round trip airfare Jan 996.85

Rinder Tampa/S.A. round trip airfare Feb 996.85

Check to R Jeffrey 12 March 600.00

Total disbursements 12,593.70

balance Indie Defense Fund 162.02

And I think that a bus fare would have been more appropriate
Marty's entire post can be found here

Last edited:

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
So in today's post by Tony, the 2nd post about the dismissal of the attorneys, he's saying that he thinks Ray J and team will get 40 to 45% of any out-of-court settlement, if one is made.

So we'll have to wait and see if #1, the case is dismissed, and #2, if we see Marty and Monique driving around in a Lambo, lighting cigars with $100 bills. Then we'll know, hey, not so insane after all.

Of course, I would love to have seen a rousing trial and huge monetary victory in Monique's favor, with the outcome setting a legal precedent for all critics of Scientology who are harassed by CoS, be they ex-members or like Monique, just related to ex-members or critics. However, just look at the Wollersheim case to see how it can drag on for years, and then with the initial award being first delayed and then reduced a lot. Who would want to go through that for a cause that really isn't theirs -- Monique not being a Scientologist, ex-member, or critic -- if she had other options.

That's why I think if CoS absolutely refused a settlement through Ray J, but offered an out-of-court one, they (Monique and Marty) made a good decision if Monique did not want to go through a trial that could potentially last for years without them seeing a penny.

It seems like if Miscavige does an out-of-court settlement, the first thing that we'll happen will be Marty's blog will disappear, or at least never mention anything relating to Scientology or court cases again. I would think Miscavige would make him delete the whole thing.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
If I recall correctly, Before the IAS was something called the legal fund to help Mary Sue and the GO fight the legal battle. It was cleverly morphed into the IAS. Mick knows the history.

So, all scientologists who donate to the IAS, are actually donating money to lawyers in future court cases, should somebody sue the COS (IAS = legal fund, and not the shore story of helping mankind)

The kicker is, for example, if one Bob Duggan who has donated millions to the IAS, should he have a change of heart, why all the money he donated would be used to sue or counter sue him to settle or STFU. That's why it's called Sea Org reserves.

the same money Bob Duggan donated to the IAS would be used to counter sue him.

Very good points Gib.

I believe that what really Keeps Scientology Working - is this viscous little game of high ranking officials blowing, Scientology harassing them, Ex members suing Scientology and Scientology paying them millions of dollars to keep their pie holes shut in exchange for blood money (all extorted and manipulated out of members who were financially ruined and did it to save the planet:whistling:)

This was one of the most painful truths for me personally to face...how the money is used to Keep Scientology Working. It is evil beyond belief.

I hope someday someone can take Scientology down in the courts - weather the storm and expose this evil little cult.

I am not saying I could do it but I never rose to a high ranking position - I obnosed the evil destruction of lives so I bailed. I can attribute it to living a life, running businesses and experiencing things before Scientology. I had my own personal integrity in place that Scientology could not manipulate.
The young people don't have that so they get stuck in the Scientology trap.

I am not judging Marty or Monique or anyone - just stating what I deem to be facts.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
I totally get wanting to settle. Jeez, I could not have gone the distance Monique has gone.

I don't get firing your attorney in the middle of litigation.

Unless it was because of Ray Jeffrey's brown corduroy suit jacket. It was awful.

And it's not libel because it's true. :)
I believe NOTHING happens in these lawsuits that Scientology does not want to happen - of this magnitude. It hooks up with criminal attorney's who know how to work the system.

Remember - LRH says "criminal minds think alike"...

She probably was told she would get more money if she dealed directly with the cult.

Look at Brian Culkin...he threw people under the bus to get his blood money back and he got it all back...

So evil - so nasty...Scientology - the smallest religion but biggest and most evil cult in the 21 st Century

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
So in today's post by Tony, the 2nd post about the dismissal of the attorneys, he's saying that he thinks Ray J and team will get 40 to 45% of any out-of-court settlement, if one is made.

So we'll have to wait and see if #1, the case is dismissed, and #2, if we see Marty and Monique driving around in a Lambo, lighting cigars with $100 bills. Then we'll know, hey, not so insane after all.

Of course, I would love to have seen a rousing trial and huge monetary victory in Monique's favor, with the outcome setting a legal precedent for all critics of Scientology who are harassed by CoS, be they ex-members or like Monique, just related to ex-members or critics. However, just look at the Wollersheim case to see how it can drag on for years, and then with the initial award being first delayed and then reduced a lot. Who would want to go through that for a cause that really isn't theirs -- Monique not being a Scientologist, ex-member, or critic -- if she had other options.

That's why I think if CoS absolutely refused a settlement through Ray J, but offered an out-of-court one, they (Monique and Marty) made a good decision if Monique did not want to go through a trial that could potentially last for years without them seeing a penny.

It seems like if Miscavige does an out-of-court settlement, the first thing that we'll happen will be Marty's blog will disappear, or at least never mention anything relating to Scientology or court cases again. I would think Miscavige would make him delete the whole thing.

AN out of court settlement is simply a financial agreement without a judge and/or jury. It is done by attorneys.

Ray would be entitled to a percentage of any settlement as he was dismissed without cause. His own conduct was not why he was dismissed. He spent several years working on this case incurring expenses.

Keep in mind that Ray negotiated an out of court settlement for Debbie Cook, so he is used to negotiation with the C of S.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
AN out of court settlement is simply a financial agreement without a judge and/or jury. It is done by attorneys.

Ray would be entitled to a percentage of any settlement as he was dismissed without cause. His own conduct was not why he was dismissed. He spent several years working on this case incurring expenses.

Keep in mind that Ray negotiated an out of court settlement for Debbie Cook, so he is used to negotiation with the C of S.

What you wrote does actually lay out my own puzzlement at this situation. Her lawyer had, seemingly, shown in the Cook case that he was solely interested in the best result for his client (and for himself of course) and not interested in addressing the larger "CofS" issues or at least, only in the pursuit of the case.

It would appear that Monique has let them go without suggesting that the lawyers did anything wrong.

The only scenario that I can think of that makes sense would be that the cofs approached them with a settlement and the legal team figured that the offered 'range" was way below what they could expect to get later on and recommended turning it down. Maybe Monique decided it was just time to cut the crap, get a meaningful settlement and get out of town.

I am not sure that Marty's blog could even be included in the settlement could it? It is not a part of monique's case and does not belong to her.

Terril park

Sponsor
What you wrote does actually lay out my own puzzlement at this situation. Her lawyer had, seemingly, shown in the Cook case that he was solely interested in the best result for his client (and for himself of course) and not interested in addressing the larger "CofS" issues or at least, only in the pursuit of the case.

It would appear that Monique has let them go without suggesting that the lawyers did anything wrong.

The only scenario that I can think of that makes sense would be that the cofs approached them with a settlement and the legal team figured that the offered 'range" was way below what they could expect to get later on and recommended turning it down. Maybe Monique decided it was just time to cut the crap, get a meaningful settlement and get out of town.

I am not sure that Marty's blog could even be included in the settlement could it? It is not a part of monique's case and does not belong to her.

This makes more sense to me than any other scenario. Perhaps they could have negotiated about the amount of settlement. But that may have already happened.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Coming soon: Ronnie Miscavige's book, Jesse Prince's book, Jamie de Wolfe's documentary. All of which will presumably result in the media wanting comments from Marty.

Maybe Miscavige has decided the time is right to get him to shut up and for DM to cut his losses he's insisting on Marty firing his legal team so they can't claim another win against the CofS.

stanczyk

Patron

That does make sense.

I only hope Marty doesn't intend to negotiate any eventual settlement himself. His own high opinion of his intelligence and abilities has been demonstrated many times in the past but is far from obvious to me. I have a horrible feeling if things proceed further without legal representation Monique is going to lose out and a terrible deal struck which will only benefit the cult.

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious

Are you sure about that? In all of the dozen articles I just looked up in the Tampa Bay Times and Village Voice, Debbie's settlement is referred to as a "court settlement." The words "out-of-court settlement" are not used once for the settlement that Ray J negotiated for them. Ray J or Debbie did not disclose the amount of the settlement.

Edit: I get it now. Court settlement and out-of-court settlement are the same thing.

Last edited:

freethinker

Sponsor
The Chris Shelton quote is the biggest reason I'm pissed that they are bowing out. It isn't just Scientology's First Amendment rights, it was a huge First Amendment issue affecting all religions and First Amendment rights. Not just the CO$, but every religion in America and because the CO$ doesn't just give up, except in the form of settlement, this could have gone all the way to the Supreme Court and resulted in a major decision regarding the First Amendment.

This is why I'm pissed about it because it became far beyond Mosey and her rights but the rights of everyone regarding the First Amendment. Once you open a can that big, it is your obligation to carry it through because it isn't just about you anymore.

I don't care if Mosey was in Scientology or not, she brought an issue with enormous ramifications to the line to be decided upon and dropped it. In dropping it she left everyone in America flat on a very crucial issue that may never reach this stage ever again and if someone can talk her out of it before the motion is decided, that would be the best thing for everyone as well as her.

Mosey made this far bigger than herself to leave it now.

Chris Shelton (Galactic Patrol > Jefferson Hawkins • 3 hours ago From Tony's page by Chris Shelton: Re: Red I think that is precisely why she is withdrawing - she wanted CofS out of her life - NOT to fight with them. Also Tony's post of update #3 was just plain crass. I wouldn't want to give him the time of day if he posted that about me. Mimsey

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
Are you sure about that? In all of the dozen articles I just looked up in the Tampa Bay Times and Village Voice, Debbie's settlement is referred to as a "court settlement." The words "out-of-court settlement" are not used once for the settlement that Ray J negotiated for them. Ray J or Debbie did not disclose the amount of the settlement.

Yes, I'm sure. She was giving rather shocking evidence about The Hole and then the case ended, and she was bound by the agreement, the contents of which are confidential but it's fairly safe to assume that she signed a gagging clause.

It should be kept in mind that SHE was the defendant in this case, so assumptions could be made.

Of course it wouldn't be disclosed the amount of the settlement as it would be sealed.