What's new

In Memory Of ... a New sub Forum

M

Moderator 3375

There is now a new sub forum called In Memory Of ... under the main forum People and their Individual Experiences with Scientology.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/forumdisplay.php?131-In-Memory-Of

The thread Memorials Thread/RIP was started in 2008 and is now reaching a thousand posts, making it very difficult to find news or information on individuals. That thread is now closed.

You can now start a new thread in this new sub forum for any memorial notice, and a name in the title will help it be found.

There may be some Memorial threads in different forums on ESMB that haven’t yet been moved, if you come across one please send a Moderator Alert (small triangle beneath the post) so it can be moved into the new sub forum.

Thanks
Moderator 3375

Last edited by a moderator:

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
Dear Mod,

I appreciate the notification.

I believe the RIP Thread is an extremely important aspect of our community.

That deserves special attention.

Is it a matter of cost?

I believe that I'm speaking from our collective hearts when I ask if there's a way for the RIP thread to have some sort of a special dispensation.

Please, can you explain the technical ramifications?

I'm old, but can I help?

Humbly tended to mankind on this date :omg:

M

Moderator 3375

Dear Mod,

I appreciate the notification.

I believe the RIP Thread is an extremely important aspect of our community.

That deserves special attention.

Is it a matter of cost?

I believe that I'm speaking from our collective hearts when I ask if there's a way for the RIP thread to have some sort of a special dispensation.

Please, can you explain the technical ramifications?

I'm old, but can I help?

Humbly tended to mankind on this date :omg:

Yes it is a very important thread. I'm not sure what you mean by "special dispensation"?
The thread has been made sticky and will always remain visible at the top of the forum.

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
This new forum is much appreciated.

(However, when I first saw the title In Memory Of ... a New sub Forum I thought the new sub forum was cancelled and that there was a post memorializing it. Oops.)

Helena

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
This new forum is much appreciated.

(However, when I first saw the title In Memory Of ... a New sub Forum I thought the new sub forum was cancelled and that there was a post memorializing it. Oops.)

Helena

I was at a real estate agent and I saw a "For Sale/Sold" sticker on a sign. I asked the agent if that house was sold. He told me no, it was a "For Sale" sticker that he'd sold.

I know how you feel.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
If anyone has time I think an alphabetized list of all names in the old thread (with dates, location, cause of death if known) would be really appreciated if posted here in this thread. I know it's a big project, but a running spreadsheet file would be great. This is different from the "why are they dead" list.

It's really two different categories, people who died because of the cult, and people who just died from whatever cause, old age, etc. Yes, it is a judgment call in less obvious cases. Undue stress can kill, and being in the cult is stress.

Maybe combine all in one list, without the judgment call? The "cause of death" column could let people make their own conclusions.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

ethercat

Cat in flight
Thoughts?

Ideally, there would be a separate thread for each of the people from the big thread, but it's too big of a job for us (staff) to take on.

However, someone(s) who wanted to volunteer could create those threads in the "In Memory Of..." forum by quoting the initial post from the big thread into a new thread (2 methods below), which would cross-reference back to the point where it started in the big thread in case people wanted to read more of the comments made about that person. Any future comments could then take place in the new thread.

FWIW, if you (anyone) want to start a new thread from a post in an existing thread, you can click the speech bubble with the quote marks in it and a plus sign to the far right of the bar at the bottom of posts (to the right of the "Reply With Quote" button), and it will mark that post as one you want to quote. Then go to the right subforum, start a new thread, and you will have the option of using the post you've marked as a quote in the new thread.

What I have done in the past is just hit the "Reply with quote" button, copy what's in the edit box, start a new thread, then paste.

The advantage of the first method, although it's more complicated, is that it will let you quote multiple posts into one post. The advantage of the second method is that it's simple, and it works.

ethercat

Cat in flight
Chris Kasle, ED Foundation and Dentist of Cincinnati / Kentucky Church of Scientology - DIED suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 60.

This is not the place for new memorial threads, so any posts of that sort will be moved to the In Memory Of... forum. If it becomes a frequent occurrence, we'll have to close this announcement thread.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
You should change the link on the last post in the old thread to the proper thread, because that's how I ended up here.

M

Moderator 3375

It was confusing thanks for letting us know.
I also added the link to the forum in the opening post.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
If anyone has time I think an alphabetized list of all names in the old thread (with dates, location, cause of death if known) would be really appreciated if posted here in this thread. I know it's a big project, but a running spreadsheet file would be great. This is different from the "why are they dead" list.

It's really two different categories, people who died because of the cult, and people who just died from whatever cause, old age, etc. Yes, it is a judgment call in less obvious cases. Undue stress can kill, and being in the cult is stress.

Maybe combine all in one list, without the judgment call? The "cause of death" column could let people make their own conclusions.

Thoughts?

I don’t think it will ever happen but it would be interesting to see a study of cancer and age of death in the Scientology population compared to other groups.
_____
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology

Epidemiology is the study and analysis of the patterns, causes, and effects of health and disease conditions in defined populations. It is the cornerstone of public health, and shapes policy decisions and evidence-based practice by identifying risk factors for disease and targets for preventive healthcare. Epidemiologists help with study design, collection, and statistical analysis of data, amend interpretation and dissemination of results (including peer review and occasional systematic review). Epidemiology has helped develop methodology used in clinical research, public health studies, and, to a lesser extent, basic research in the biological sciences.[1]

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I don’t think it will ever happen but it would be interesting to see a study of cancer and age of death in the Scientology population compared to other groups.

The problem with Scientologists is that they tend to not see conventional MDs for regular checkups and tests. The reason that people live longer these days is that they get the health care to spot health issues before they become BIG health issues.

I recently had a routine doc visit that resulted in finding a condition that would likely have killed me in a few years if untreated.