What's new

Scientology's music is crazy

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Your story has a very high cringe factor for me and I'm sorry you had to experience that.

I have to relate this quick story so you will understand why that building, big blue, always gave me the willies when I went to visit Charley.

The first time I visited I entered from the Northeast side. Something about the building just seemed creepy to me. When we left we went out the South entrance. As I was saying goodbye to him I looked up and realized where I was. My mother had cancer and in 1970 I visited her there at that very hospital after her surgery. I was 13. One year later she died there.

I told Charley about it but no one else in Scientology. I just didn't want to go through the drama and the auditing and whatever else they would have put me through to "fix it". God how I hate that building.. Okay, thanks for listening :)

I have edited the above post to clarify that this excerpt was about Jesse Prince. The point I was trying to make is that even the transition from a talented fun loving musician to something like what Jesse describes would be possible there.

I am sorry that you must associate the building with the loss of your mother. Perhaps I can put a more positive perspective on it. This was originally built as a specialized hospital for tuberculosis at a time when it was extremely difficult to treat. The quality of construction and architectural design was first rate for the period and many famous people went there. Dealing with the treatment of illness, birth and death is a messy and emotional business but many lives were started there, helped, and ceased in spite of a sincere desire to heal. The institution that replaced it is held in very high regard world wide.

It is an ungracious treatment of a respectful legacy that it should be colored like something out of a carnival and used to indoctrinate people into such an abusive belief system - kind of like a grand old art deco theater reduced to showing XXX matinees.

Bost_Bobby

Patron with Honors
I have edited the above post to clarify that this excerpt was about Jesse Prince. The point I was trying to make is that even the transition from a talented fun loving musician to something like what Jesse describes would be possible there.

I am sorry that you must associate the building with the loss of your mother. Perhaps I can put a more positive perspective on it. This was originally built as a specialized hospital for tuberculosis at a time when it was extremely difficult to treat. The quality of construction and architectural design was first rate for the period and many famous people went there. Dealing with the treatment of illness, birth and death is a messy and emotional business but many lives were started there, helped, and ceased in spite of a sincere desire to heal. The institution that replaced it is held in very high regard world wide.

It is an ungracious treatment of a respectful legacy that it should be colored like something out of a carnival and used to indoctrinate people into such an abusive belief system - kind of like a grand old art deco theater reduced to showing XXX matinees.

I sincerely thank you for the history of that building. It does make a difference and helps make the load a little lighter for me. Perhaps it will come full circle and end up being a building that will again help enhance and prolong life rather than what it does presently which is suppress life.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I sincerely thank you for the history of that building. It does make a difference and helps make the load a little lighter for me. Perhaps it will come full circle and end up being a building that will again help enhance and prolong life rather than what it does presently which is suppress life.

I do hope that helps. The building is an innocent victim also. This shouldn't be permitted to color the memory of your mother in any way.

The property will eventually be sold and the building will be demolished forthwith. I'd guess that the required earthquake retrofits in themselves are enough to total it on paper. This will all fade away like a bad dream.

Bost_Bobby

Patron with Honors
I do hope that helps. The building is an innocent victim also. This shouldn't be permitted to color the memory of your mother in any way.

The property will eventually be sold and the building will be demolished forthwith. I'd guess that the required earthquake retrofits in themselves are enough to total it on paper. This will all fade away like a bad dream.

It does help so thank you. The memories of my mother do not involve that building. My memories include such things as sitting on her lap in my step dad's Jeep pickup with my brother between the two of us and my step dad on our way to Disneyland or Marineland and her complaining that I have a cracker ass. I did not understand what she meant until I grew up :) Skinny boy with boney ass. How can a memory of a building supersede that memory?:roflmao:

Thanks again.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Every time somebody posts another copy of 'Thank You' by LHR, the black hole just outside our 'galux-ee' gains four cats, and every time an unwitting person clicks on the vid at least one kitten dies.... STOP THIS MADNESS PLEASE!

:p

Me~ Just miserable 'cause I watched that video and sure enough had to drive around for three hours today with that miserable album floating around the peripherals of my ol' brain-pan (commonly known as 'ear-worms'), it actually took another modern horrid song to break the auto neuron links between the cells of my internal library. Gah!

The 'Power of Source' has a redeeming quality that many have yet to appreciate, 'universal clearing'. In all seriousness consider this~ Its 3AM, your big party is over, food is gone, everyone is half (or totally having fun) baked, stealing your tomorrows beers, and it is time to shut it all down and get some rest. Why behold! A copy of one of LRON's mesterpieces! Played at a hefty volume, well, voila, not only will your house be empty of parteh guests within the half hour, not only will most vermin shun it for a week or so, but very few will ever return. It truly is a rare, rare piece of LRon 'tech' that utterly works! Thank you :bow:

:cheers:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Every time somebody posts another copy of 'Thank You' by LHR, the black hole just outside our 'galux-ee' gains four cats, and every time an unwitting person clicks on the vid at least one kitten dies.... STOP THIS MADNESS PLEASE!

:p

Me~ Just miserable 'cause I watched that video and sure enough had to drive around for three hours today with that miserable album floating around the peripherals of my ol' brain-pan (commonly known as 'ear-worms'), it actually took another modern horrid song to break the auto neuron links between the cells of my internal library. Gah!

The 'Power of Source' has a redeeming quality that many have yet to appreciate, 'universal clearing'. In all seriousness consider this~ Its 3AM, your big party is over, food is gone, everyone is half (or totally having fun) baked, stealing your tomorrows beers, and it is time to shut it all down and get some rest. Why behold! A copy of one of LRON's mesterpieces! Played at a hefty volume, well, voila, not only will your house be empty of parteh guests within the half hour, not only will most vermin shun it for a week or so, but very few will ever return. It truly is a rare, rare piece of LRon 'tech' that utterly works! Thank you :bow:

:cheers:

Like LRH's musical creations, the "Can We Ever Be Friends" tape was also difficult to comprehend by those of us who simply couldn't grasp the nuanced and sophisticated techniques contained therein which were solidly based on LRH's superior understanding of human nature. I listened to the tape carefully but thought it was weird and would further upset my already greatly distressed parents. Acknowledging that it wouldn't have been released without LRH's explicit approval and that it surely must work to help my parents appreciate Scientology and my lifelong dedication to the Sea Org, I dutifully mailed it off to the folks..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqMeMOUzdZs

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Oh thank you BB, I'd forgotten that one! Nothing quite like playing nutty music of protagonist to get your point across, a masterful move I'd love to see repeated, um, like honing up on lRon crazy and keep thinking outside of the box. Too funny and weird as usual :eyeroll:

:hysterical:

tmangrove

Patron
There is only one word to adequately describe L. Ron Hubbard's singing. I saw this word on a weird soda blog (as in, cheddar cheese-flavored sodas, etc.). There is a word he uses to describe the worst-tasting ones of all. That word also works here.

That word is "vomitrocious". :nervous:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
There is only one word to adequately describe L. Ron Hubbard's singing. I saw this word on a weird soda blog (as in, cheddar cheese-flavored sodas, etc.). There is a word he uses to describe the worst-tasting ones of all. That word also works here.

That word is "vomitrocious". :nervous:

For some reason, whenever I hear that, the corresponding image I get is him doing the sex rituals with Jack Parsons. Do I need auditing for that?

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel
The saddest part of this is that many of the people involved DID have music talent. Not just Chick Corea... Travolta can sing, but you wouldn't know it from that tuneless, plodding dreck.

Also, I've been anti-Co$ since the mid-80s. HOW IN THE HELL HAVE I MISSED WATCHING THE "L RON DROPPED THE BODY" ANNOUNCEMENT?

The music is a special kind of atrocious, which only adds to the creepiness of Young Davey's flat affect and our knowledge this the very last time he'll have to introduce himself to a Scieno crowd.

Going to sleep with the light on...

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
The saddest part of this is that many of the people involved DID have music talent. Not just Chick Corea... Travolta can sing, but you wouldn't know it from that tuneless, plodding dreck.

Also, I've been anti-Co$ since the mid-80s. HOW IN THE HELL HAVE I MISSED WATCHING THE "L RON DROPPED THE BODY" ANNOUNCEMENT?

The music is a special kind of atrocious, which only adds to the creepiness of Young Davey's flat affect and our knowledge this the very last time he'll have to introduce himself to a Scieno crowd.

Going to sleep with the light on...

If that music selection was the most befitting for the Founder's memorial, I wonder if it will now become tradition for any future similar events?

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel
Looking forward to David Miscavige's funeral to find out :coolwink:

(Here's hoping those reports of his excess drinking are true.)

tr8theta

I Love Kitties
Nicely done, classy with the reference to Lisa at the end.

I was always slightly curious about the Apollo Stars.

Now I'm not, thank you :thumbsup:
Just ran into this...it's 8-10-2018 and I don't know if you'll ever get this message...but now I'm curious (slightly LOL) as to what it is you would have liked to know about The Apollo Stars...and if there still exists a bit of curiousness...now here's your chance to speak with me, TR (bongo player) member of The Apollo Stars. I'll answer any and all questions honestly. Warmest Wishes PS. I am NOT active in SCN nor the Sea Org (I routed out in 1981 from the RPF)

TomKat

Patron Meritorious
Travolta can sing, but you wouldn't know it from that tuneless, plodding dreck.
Actually, Travolta cannot sing a lick. I heard, from someone in the music biz at the time, that when he was recording the vocals on that hit song of his in the 80s, his PRODUCER had to sing unison over all Travolta's tracks because his voice was so weak!

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
The best part of the Apollo Stars album "The Power of Source" was it forced me to see the horrified dismay in the eyes of my professional jazz musician friends and once upon a time roommates when I brought the album over and played it for them.
What I was hoping, being that the music nauseated me, was that they would find redeeming aspects to the "music" that I had missed and thereby rehab my appreciation for Hubbard which was waning fast after hearing the best music he could conjure up from his whole track.
Instead I finally began to come to terms that it was all just a horrible scam and I'd see the piggish/psychotic look to his face and eyes in the most recent photos of him trying to pass for a film director and I couldn't get away from Scientology fast enough!
It was a complete farce and then I knew, in part due to The Power of Source album tipping the scales of perception.
It was little more than a shitstorm calling itself "the dawning of a new day" and I felt humiliation for ever having been seen as a known associate of it.
"What must my friends & relatives REALLY think of me" I bemoaned?

Last edited:

tr8theta

I Love Kitties
Look at it this way...no music group who ever became famous for their skilled musicianship and well loved songs and top notch performances started out being totally tight knit. Even the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra (any era of bands) ALL had to start rehearsing together and take whatever skill levels they had as individuals (a group is only as talented or skilled as it's weakest link or player) and rehearse and rehearse and rehearse until they morphed into a well oiled machine, humming beautifully with all gears totally synchronized. What most folks don't know or realize (and I'm NOT trying to make excuses - just stating fact) - is that we had only been 'playing together for a very short time - getting to rehearse only part time while performing our other post and ship duties. We were comprised of some very talented, mature musicians and some not so skilled younger musicians. Our flute player was only an 11 year old kid (Kenny Campleman). I myself had never been in a band and I "learned" my bongo playing "skills" by "drumming" with my fingers on top of metal file cabinets. (I was Mimeo Files I/C). Even a world renown heart or brain surgeon had to start out dissecting cadavers and making stupid mistakes. And btw...that statement that we had to pay LRH $1.00 for each mistakenly played musical note is absolutelt NOT true. (Heck , if it were true we would all have become broke! LOL)

The POS album was regretfully recorded way too pre-maturely. It'ss album cover is horrible (yeech, puke) and NO it absolutely does NOT reflect the best of what we eventually became as time went by and as we started rehearsing full time and really DID become very skilled with very well developed "chops". THAT'S when you should have heard us as we performed in every port, in parades, on radio and on TV with rave reviews. What just about everyone who has ever listened to the POS album (and either puked or perhaps even liked it- the reviews were then and still continue to be very mixed) don't know is that many months later...even perhaps a year or so later we did record again in a major studio many excellent sounding tracks, both original compositions and those belonging to other well known groups, but these were never mixed nor released as what would have been our 2nd album. THOSE TRACKS were the professional quality of musicianship you (as well as we) were DENIED and never got to hear nor for anyone to compare to the POS. THEN the "tune" that many POS trashing critics have "sung" would be very different. What truly upsets me is that I had a one of it's kind in existence audio cassette of one of our rehearsals with about 15 songs on it you guys have never heard...which, like a dope I lent out to someone and never got it back. Had I gotten it back I would have uploaded it to YouTube for everyone to hear and enjoy and take note of the vast improvement.
I'm 68 years old now and that still bothers me to this day.
Please feel welcome to comment both pro or con - any and all questions are welcome.
Tom Rodriguez - Apollo Stars Bongo Player.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Look at it this way...no music group who ever became famous for their skilled musicianship and well loved songs and top notch performances started out being totally tight knit. Even the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra (any era of bands) ALL had to start rehearsing together and take whatever skill levels they had as individuals (a group is only as talented or skilled as it's weakest link or player) and rehearse and rehearse and rehearse until they morphed into a well oiled machine, humming beautifully with all gears totally synchronized. What most folks don't know or realize (and I'm NOT trying to make excuses - just stating fact) - is that we had only been 'playing together for a very short time - getting to rehearse only part time while performing our other post and ship duties. We were comprised of some very talented, mature musicians and some not so skilled younger musicians. Our flute player was only an 11 year old kid (Kenny Campleman). I myself had never been in a band and I "learned" my bongo playing "skills" by "drumming" with my fingers on top of metal file cabinets. (I was Mimeo Files I/C). Even a world renown heart or brain surgeon had to start out dissecting cadavers and making stupid mistakes. And btw...that statement that we had to pay LRH $1.00 for each mistakenly played musical note is absolutelt NOT true. (Heck , if it were true we would all have become broke! LOL)

The POS album was regretfully recorded way too pre-maturely. It'ss album cover is horrible (yeech, puke) and NO it absolutely does NOT reflect the best of what we eventually became as time went by and as we started rehearsing full time and really DID become very skilled with very well developed "chops". THAT'S when you should have heard us as we performed in every port, in parades, on radio and on TV with rave reviews. What just about everyone who has ever listened to the POS album (and either puked or perhaps even liked it- the reviews were then and still continue to be very mixed) don't know is that many months later...even perhaps a year or so later we did record again in a major studio many excellent sounding tracks, both original compositions and those belonging to other well known groups, but these were never mixed nor released as what would have been our 2nd album. THOSE TRACKS were the professional quality of musicianship you (as well as we) were DENIED and never got to hear nor for anyone to compare to the POS. THEN the "tune" that many POS trashing critics have "sung" would be very different. What truly upsets me is that I had a one of it's kind in existence audio cassette of one of our rehearsals with about 15 songs on it you guys have never heard...which, like a dope I lent out to someone and never got it back. Had I gotten it back I would have uploaded it to YouTube for everyone to hear and enjoy and take note of the vast improvement.
I'm 68 years old now and that still bothers me to this day.
Please feel welcome to comment both pro or con - any and all questions are welcome.
Tom Rodriguez - Apollo Stars Bongo Player.
I wouldn't ever have had the thought, oh they'd have been better if they had a different bongo player. You were not part of the problem, the problem was at the top, not you. I would in fact have to commend you for how fast you were able to pick up playing the bongos, but I must admit that I no longer recollect the individual instruments. I just remember there being no melodies or hooks anywhere to be found. They certainly were not sing along songs. What I remember was just a non stop wall of disjointed notes being blasted out like everyone got paid on a per note basis and in how much they could inject total chaos into the mix so as to drown out any melody if it were to suddenly raise it's lonely head.
You weren't the problem man, glad you found your way here.
And I want to apologize for inadvertently offending you when you were not to blame leading me to realize I ought to be more thoughtful about that an off hand remark can hurt someone that you don't even realize is out there reading your post, or my post as the case may be.

Last edited:

tr8theta

I Love Kitties
I wouldn't ever have had the thought, oh they'd have been better if they had a different bongo player. You were not part of the problem, the problem was at the top, not you. I would in fact have to commend you for how fast you were able to pick up playing the bongos, but I must admit that I no longer recollect the individual instruments. I just remember there being no melodies or hooks anywhere to be found. They certainly were not sing along songs. What I remember was just a non stop wall of disjointed notes being blasted out like everyone got paid on a per note basis and in how much they could inject total chaos into the mix so as to drown out any melody if it were to suddenly raise it's lonely head.
You weren't the problem man, glad you found your way here.
And I want to apologize for inadvertently offending you when you were not to blame leading me to realize I ought to be more thoughtful about that an off hand remark can hurt someone that you don't even realize is out there reading your post, or my post as the case may be.
There were two saxophonists, trombone, trumpet, flute, rhythm guitar, bass guitar, drums, bongos and occasionally upright bass.
Everybody is entitled to their opinions about art, music, movies etc...and that's exactly what they are "opinions" nothing more. BTW, I never considered myself to be "part of any problem" but I agree with you that the problem was at the top. For someone who supposedly had such high standards and expected nothing less than perfection how LRH could have recorded that album and allowed it to be released with such a horrid album cover to boot defies my understanding of who and what I thought him to be. Um...also I did not feel offended in any way by your post. Thank you for your comments.
TR

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Actually, Travolta cannot sing a lick. I heard, from someone in the music biz at the time, that when he was recording the vocals on that hit song of his in the 80s, his PRODUCER had to sing unison over all Travolta's tracks because his voice was so weak!
They triple tracked his vocals, or even more tracks than that, to where he sounded like a chorus and it softened and fuzzed out the edges of the lyrics to such an extent it no longer sounded like a human singing, just too much fakery in producing him.