What's new

Spoilers***My Scientology Movie*** Look away now

phenomanon

Canyon
You have not provided any proof of your opinions. Why should I believe what you posted?

I ask those questions from the POV if I were a lurker just coming out from scientology and researching the internet and happened to land here on this tread. If you have not followed what Marty has said, then how can you claim such things such as Marty does not feel remorse he has caused nor his lack of responsibility for the atrocities that were committed under his watch? You make these claims based on a documentary?

If you don't follow Marty and have not read what he wrote in rebuttal, how can you give an opinion about it? That's a flunk on investigative reporting of stating facts.

If you know of actual incidents, then do tell.

Yep! As I stated , it is my opinion based on the Documentary.

Boomima

Patron with Honors
As a never in and watching in a theatre with about 400 never ins, I can assure you the crazy was well felt. The TRs - nuts! Catherine Fraser- psycho! Security guards, squirrel busters and 'documentary cameramen' - whacko!

Andrew Perez's performance as David Miscavige - devastating (although much of the audience have only the briefest of clues who he is).

Marty came across as a bully, thug and sore loser.

And the audience found the whole thing ridiculous and funny.

ETA - obviously I didn't poll the whole audience - I am going by the audible reactions of the audience at given points in the film

I think if you are an ex you might not see how bizarre the basics about Scientology would seem to someone from the outside.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
All true, Racecar. I also was mistaken about Marty with children after '86. As mentioned on Marty's blog as well as Tony's, he intentionally distanced Nicole Kidman's children from her and encouraged them to disconnect from their mother.

However, someone not publicly showing remorse doesn't mean they don't experience it. I knew a man who held so much guilt for his past that he was sure when he died God would destroy him utterly and completely. Inside, he hated himself so much he wanted to completely stop existing forever. Outwardly, though, he was a complete &*hole.

Nobody actually knows what goes on in someone else's head. Public remorse is the socially correct thing to do, but not everyone does it. I have very little tolerance for Marty's tough guy routine; it has always seemed fake to me and still does. I don't know if he does it on purpose, if it is an automatic reaction, a condition or what and I don't care. Trying to figure him out is such a terrible waste of time. Those he has helped since he left are understandably easier on him. I'm far more concerned about the rifts between the various ex groups and watchers groups going on right now and think it's important not to add fuel to that. That's damage we can do something about. I'm in the 'ignore Marty and it will go away' camp.

So as far as the movie goes, I'm not offering any interpretations or opinions about what Marty thinks. I wouldn't know.

I totally agree. We don't know what Marty feels. He may be hiding his regret out of pride or shame.

I think if you are an ex you might not see how bizarre the basics about Scientology would seem to someone from the outside.

I agree. There is a post above where we have a direct account of the impact it has had on a large number of never ins. Louis documentary offered a perspective that we have not yet seen and he should be commended for it. He looked deep and David Miscavige and deep at Marty and the role play that captured the activities at the Int Base was unique and shocking, particularly to a never in.

Tom DeVocht's revelations about the FBI raid were an excellent insight into the mindset of those at Hemet. Tom told the FBI that there was no point going in and trying to free them. They wouldn't go. Then he talked about why.

There have been consistent complaints that the documentary didn't cover enough. The same claims were made about Going Clear. A complete documentary on Scientology would be at least 12 full length feature episodes.

IMHO this was the most psychological and personal documentary we have seen to date.

Gib

Crusader
I totally agree. We don't know what Marty feels. He may be hiding his regret out of pride or shame.

As I highlight in red, that is a appeal to emotions, pathos. What I am trying to do is an appeal to logic as opposed to you using an appeal to emotions.

"Ethos is an appeal to ethics, and it is a means of convincing someone of the character or credibility of the persuader. Pathos is an appeal to emotion, and is a way of convincing an audience of an argument by creating an emotional response. Logos is an appeal to logic, and is a way of persuading an audience by reason."

All three can be used in "argumentation".

http://www.cherriporter.com/docs/introductiontorhetoricandargument.pdf

Aristole believed logic was the best, hence we have critical thinkers.

ETA: Aristole in his time did not have documentarys or movies. That adds a whole new paradigm to our present time scene with the battle against the cult, including the internet. There can be missing info in documentaries as well (this statement by me is an appeal to logic).

Last edited:

Free Being Me

Crusader
As I highlight in red, that is a appeal to emotions, pathos. What I am trying to do is an appeal to logic as opposed to you using an appeal to emotions.

"Ethos is an appeal to ethics, and it is a means of convincing someone of the character or credibility of the persuader. Pathos is an appeal to emotion, and is a way of convincing an audience of an argument by creating an emotional response. Logos is an appeal to logic, and is a way of persuading an audience by reason."

All three can be used in "argumentation".

http://www.cherriporter.com/docs/introductiontorhetoricandargument.pdf

Aristole believed logic was the best, hence we have critical thinkers.

ETA: Aristole in his time did not have documentarys or movies. That adds a whole new paradigm to our present time scene with the battle against the cult, including the internet. There can be missing info in documentaries as well (this statement by me is an appeal to logic).
Oneone's post is speculating about emotions, not appealing to emotion. See the difference?