What's new

Jediism Rejected as a Religion in the U.K.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
177,000+ Jedi's in the U.K. are disappointed because the Charity Commission for the U.K. and Wales rejected an application for charitable status submitted by the Temple of the Jedi Order.

Daniel Jones, leader of the Church of Jediism in the U.K., told the BBC he was confident “Jediism’s status will change in the next five years.”
The commission’s decision is “not what anyone in the Jediism community wants to hear, when you have churches like Satan and Scientology with charitable religious statuses,” Jones said.

Full Article: http://religionnews.com/2016/12/20/star-wars-jedi-rejected-as-religious-group-in-uk/

Note: I have no idea as to whether this organization actually possesses any of the characteristics of a cult or not. I just placed it into this sub-forum as I couldn't think of a better one to place it in.

If they really are determined to get identified as a religion perhaps they should contact the Church of Scientology to see if they offer a seminar on religious cloaking? :coolwink:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Wow!

Amazing!

According to their membership in UK..
the home of LRH and one of his precious legacy to the parishionners,
Jediism has about 100 times more members tahn $cientology :duh:

There is certainly a way to make a lot of money with it...:eyeroll:

Demented Hubbatd

Patron with Honors
A Star War religion? The movement started as a joke, I do not think that its followers take it seriously. Perhaps. the joke went too far and in the direction that the court didn't like. But I do not think they are serious about choosing the tiny creature as their god or demi-god or something like that.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Imagine when a self-appointed totalitarian leader take on..

The parishionners beatings with the saber of light :duh:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
A Star War religion? The movement started as a joke, I do not think that its followers take it seriously. Perhaps. the joke went too far and in the direction that the court didn't like. But I do not think they are serious about choosing the tiny creature as their god or demi-god or something like that.

I've only seen them describe themselves as a nontheistic religious movement. What are you referring to about "the tiny creature"?? :confused2:

tesseract

Patron with Horrors
But I do not think they are serious about choosing the tiny creature as their god or demi-god or something like that.

It's not about Yoda, it's a kind of deism and animism.

A Star War religion? The movement started as a joke, I do not think that its followers take it seriously.

This is also correct. :wink2:

I for once see no reason to take the metaphysics and archetypes (NOT the plot, or explanations about midi-chlorians) any more or less readily into consideration as inspiration for one's "spiritual journey/development" than those archetypes and schizoid tidbits depicted in OLDER legends and mythologies. Also, the movies aren't all. If delving into the Expanded Universe, and particularly novels, one might realize the metaphysics of Star Wars are well thought-through. So many single authors have contributed an interesting bit here and there, exploring the possibilities, all trying to keep it consistent.
This aside, we all know it's fiction and it doesn't have to be "respected", which is why generally, IRL Jedi (the odd fanatical fan aside) treat the Star Wars mythology very different than a lot of monotheists treat their "holy book" - with so many desperately trying to oversee or reconcile the blatant contradictions-! With Star Wars, a mythology which we have watched being created and expanded, it's going to be a lot easier, emotionally, for those who want to "meditate on it" (which is what Jediists actually do). I say pick what you want, and discard the rest. Oh wait, that's actually Sith philosophy... :p

JustSheila

Crusader

Tiny creature like a cockroach?

I have a confession. I have a secret fantasy about L Ron Hubbard:

best-hit-cockroach.jpg

JustSheila

Crusader
It's not about Yoda, it's a kind of deism and animism.

This is also correct. :wink2:

I for once see no reason to take the metaphysics and archetypes (NOT the plot, or explanations about midi-chlorians) any more or less readily into consideration as inspiration for one's "spiritual journey/development" than those archetypes and schizoid tidbits depicted in OLDER legends and mythologies. Also, the movies aren't all. If delving into the Expanded Universe, and particularly novels, one might realize the metaphysics of Star Wars are well thought-through. So many single authors have contributed an interesting bit here and there, exploring the possibilities, all trying to keep it consistent.
This aside, we all know it's fiction and it doesn't have to be "respected", which is why generally, IRL Jedi (the odd fanatical fan aside) treat the Star Wars mythology very different than a lot of monotheists treat their "holy book" - with so many desperately trying to oversee or reconcile the blatant contradictions-! With Star Wars, a mythology which we have watched being created and expanded, it's going to be a lot easier, emotionally, for those who want to "meditate on it" (which is what Jediists actually do). I say pick what you want, and discard the rest. Oh wait, that's actually Sith philosophy... :p

Well that was quite the unique opener for a Newb if I ever saw one. You're kind of all over the place with the New Age stuff so excuse me if I bow out of this thread because I had quite enough of that with the Scientology garbage, but welcome anyway. :welcome2:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow!

Amazing!

According to their membership in UK..
the home of LRH and one of his precious legacy to the parishionners,
Jediism has about 100 times more members tahn $cientology :duh:

There is certainly a way to make a lot of money with it...:eyeroll:

They could go on a funds and clothing and food and shelter TREK to help rescue and temporarily support the victims of Scientology and or other cults.

They could call it ' Revolt, Revulsion and Rescue of The Evil Scientology cult by a real , really expanding True Charitable this Sector Space Org.

It might even yield them charitable status exempt from paying taxes earned by action in the trenches rather than extortion in the courts.

Religious status God NO, and God knows he,she and we have had enough of Faux Forces. Especially ones where John Lobb shoes and copper rods are sacraments.

tesseract

Patron with Horrors
Well that was quite the unique opener for a Newb if I ever saw one. You're kind of all over the place with the New Age stuff so excuse me if I bow out of this thread because I had quite enough of that with the Scientology garbage, but welcome anyway. :welcome2:

My first post was about Shelly Miscavige.
Don't know how it sounds for you, but I'd like to clarify that I do not like New Age, esoterics, pseudoscience, or anti-science stuff. Quite the contrary...
As to Star Wars, I'm "just" a fan. As such I heed a certain sympathy for the Jediists and understand what they're trying to achieve.
Furthermore, the words schizoidity and spirituality are almost interchangeable for me. That doesn't mean that I reject that, I am merely sceptical of people who tend to swallow (mostly quack and eso) concepts "wholesale".
:)

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tiny creature like a cockroach?

I have a confession. I have a secret fantasy about L Ron Hubbard:

best-hit-cockroach.jpg

Ahh yes the new and positively appropriate version of boots in the sky.

Can I make a suggestion for a confidential level 3&8 advanced version with 2 large ones and many roachbot offspring....

Behind INTBASE gulag bars.?

Veda

Sponsor
177,000+ Jedi's in the U.K. are disappointed because the Charity Commission for the U.K. and Wales rejected an application for charitable status submitted by the Temple of the Jedi Order.

Full Article: http://religionnews.com/2016/12/20/star-wars-jedi-rejected-as-religious-group-in-uk/

Note: I have no idea as to whether this organization actually possesses any of the characteristics of a cult or not. I just placed it into this sub-forum as I couldn't think of a better one to place it in.

If they really are determined to get identified as a religion perhaps they should contact the Church of Scientology to see if they offer a seminar on religious cloaking? :coolwink:

For some reason the Jedi have a hard time being taken seriously.

[video=youtube;7CzbXA53I24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CzbXA53I24[/video]

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Is that a shooop or another trademark infringement done for profit?

I'm 90% sure it is NOT a shoop. I can't say for sure that it is a trademark infringement, although the CoS didn't seem to take issue with the violation of trademarks, unless it involved someone else doing it to them.

They seemed to have made frequent use of the Star Wars theme. Here's a few things I found in a quick search:

star_20wars_20EMAIL_202.jpg

unnamed_5.jpg

Tony Ortega posted a video here of scientology using Star Wars for a fundraiser in Saint Hill:
[video]http://tonyortega.org/2013/02/12/scientology-does-star-wars-thats-no-moon-its-a-fundraiser/[/video]