What's new

Banned Ted Talk on ESP

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
If 1000 people took part in a remote viewing experiment and 999 got nothing but one person got it totally correct:

Some people, perhaps most people, would say 1 out of 1000 is pathetic therefore this experiment should be ignored.

Others, like myself, would say "That's incredible. I want to know how he did it.".

It takes all sorts to make a world.

tesseract

Patron with Horrors
Regarding ESP / PSI, I am a sceptic, even to the point that hardly anything can convince me anymore, but I have no vested interest to belittle or ban parapsychology. On the contrary. Call me romantic if you want...
But like with love, I've become careful, even inhibited. It's all a matter of personal disappointments.
In the past, mostly but not exclusively pre-internet, I have believed in some rather convincing results, to later having suffered - and I chose that term deliberately because that's what it meant to me - the no less convincing debunking. While personal anecdotal proof indicates for me that ESP / PSI might be real, I am, sadly, at the point that I say that nothing out there, no hearsay, no results, can convince me anymore.
They could lie. They could forge stuff. And they have a very good motive for that, one that always stays valid: attention, fame, even minor ad revenues.
After all, I can't read their minds... :wink2:

Yet all that doesn't change that I'd still prefer PSI to be real.
I say screw it, I now want my own scientifically accomplished anecdotal proof.
Proof that I might not ever be able to share with anyone in a way to convince them, but that's totally okay. It's meant to be proof that serves the only purpose to convince me. And one other person.
Let's do this. If anyone is up to this and would like to plan some experiments, write me a PM.
:wink2:

You and Mimsey need to get all your ducks in a row if you're going to convince us mainstream muppets Rog. Here's what Mimsey wrote a few posts ago in this thread.

This has always been my contention, that we all have these abilities, which the speaker discusses.

Just sayin'. [noparse];)[/noparse]

Did you watch the video? It's helpful to have a meaningful discussion if both parties have.

Tesseract is correct - the results could be false,however, this guy worked for the US government for 23 years working on remote viewing. Is it possible he could string them along that long?
Mimsey

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
Did you watch the video? It's helpful to have a meaningful discussion if both parties have.

Tesseract is correct - the results could be false,however, this guy worked for the US government for 23 years working on remote viewing. Is it possible he could string them along that long?
Mimsey

Oh, the US government!

Just the paperwork alone should take 25 years to complete.

Then it takes an act of Congress to get rid of any dross. :wink2:

:)

RogerB

Crusader
If 1000 people took part in a remote viewing experiment and 999 got nothing but one person got it totally correct:

Some people, perhaps most people, would say 1 out of 1000 is pathetic therefore this experiment should be ignored.

Others, like myself, would say "That's incredible. I want to know how he did it.".

It takes all sorts to make a world.

Good, healthy attitude, TE.

In my career as an athlete since when I began as a toddler, one thing has stood out to me, and that is: there is always something than some guy/kid can do that others "can't" . . . this across many different sports.

So, being a kid and wanting to make your way in life, what of the following attitudes or beliefs/opinions/conclusions do you think makes sense, or otherwise is stupid?

1) that's impossible nobody can do it.
2) It's a trick and fraud, I'll not even bother to think about it.
3) Hmmm, I wonder how he does it?
4) Hmmm, I wonder if it is possible for me to do it?
5) Hmmm, let me figure out how he does it and see if I can . . .
6) OK, I am getting there, I can do it a little bit, but nowhere near as well as him.
7) Hmmm, learning the tricks of the trade, I find I can do it as well as he does.
8) That's piss easy, anyone who wants to can do it.

:biggrin::biggrin:

The above from the top of my head . . . youse can add whatever "thinking," non-thinking or automatic dismissal responsesyou feel apply to the posts on this thread :melodramatic:

RogerB

Crusader

Mimsey

That little bit I highlighted in Mimsey . . .

Ummm, well, anything can, possibly be, false due to fraud or honest error . . . but as you say, he was doing his work under the watchful eye of scientists and in coordination with and based upon their research protocols as appointed and funded by the military . . . thus one can only conclude that the results were the actual results.

Next come the analysis and interpretation of the results.

And it is here two things can occur: a) prejudiced opinion and expectation can unwittingly skew the "findings" or b) the findings are exact and proper but those who did not do the work refuse to accept the findings as accurate as they contradict the prejudicial opinions or beliefs of a person looking at the other's work.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Errr, guess what we see a lot of on threads like this.

As a note: The Russians have their own successes reported in this kind of endeavor. And, as I have noted, there is the international organization advancing knowledge of this phenomenon and forwarding the abilities of regular Joes in the community to do remote viewing . . . thus, for them that can do it, they can do it!

But for them that don't do it because they don't believe it is possible: well, they are right: they cannot do it!:duh::duh::duh::ohmy:

Nothing to see here . . . move along:biggrin:

Regarding ESP / PSI, I am a sceptic, even to the point that hardly anything can convince me anymore, but I have no vested interest to belittle or ban parapsychology. On the contrary. Call me romantic if you want...
But like with love, I've become careful, even inhibited. It's all a matter of personal disappointments.
In the past, mostly but not exclusively pre-internet, I have believed in some rather convincing results, to later having suffered - and I chose that term deliberately because that's what it meant to me - the no less convincing debunking. While personal anecdotal proof indicates for me that ESP / PSI might be real, I am, sadly, at the point that I say that nothing out there, no hearsay, no results, can convince me anymore.
They could lie. They could forge stuff. And they have a very good motive for that, one that always stays valid: attention, fame, even minor ad revenues.
After all, I can't read their minds... :wink2:

Yet all that doesn't change that I'd still prefer PSI to be real.
I say screw it, I now want my own scientifically accomplished anecdotal proof.
Proof that I might not ever be able to share with anyone in a way to convince them, but that's totally okay. It's meant to be proof that serves the only purpose to convince me. And one other person.
Let's do this. If anyone is up to this and would like to plan some experiments, write me a PM.

Ok - let's do an experiment. First a quick explanation. Rupert Sheldon wrote a book called "The Sense Of Being Stared At" and he discusses all sorts of PSI phenomena, from dogs who know when their owners are coming home (even though at different times, by different vehicles, which eliminates sound or time related clues), tests of knowing who is calling them, ( simply tell 3 friends to chose among themselves who is going to call you at a certain time, and when the phone rings, you write down who it is before you pick up the phone) and the sense of being stared at.

That is when you stare at someone and they feel your stare, and turn around or look up to see you. Most people have experienced it, either as the person being looked at or the looker. There is no easy non-psi explanation for how that works, since there is no physical clue being given by the person doing the staring.

In his book he gives statistics of the results and they exceed chance. You can buy it from Amazon, new or used - the latter if you don't feel you want to support the author with your money. https://www.amazon.com/Sense-Being-Stared-At-Unexplained/dp/1620550970

But, back to the experiment. Here's a link- go to it and give it a go.

http://www.sheldrake.org/participate/online-staring-experiment

Good luck - Mimsey

THE SENSE OF BEING STARED AT and Other Aspects of the Extended Mind

Rupert Sheldrake, Author

Extending the line of thought propounded in his Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home, Sheldrake continues his investigations of perceptions that don't seem to correlate to our known senses. It's a project that carries risks of which he is well aware ("[t]o go against this taboo involves a serious loss of intellectual standing, a relegation to the ranks of the uneducated"), and is careful to base his arguments on sustained research. Using a database of more than 4,500 case histories of "apparently unexplained perceptiveness by people and by nonhuman animals," Sheldrake investigates a wide range of psychic phenomena, organizing his inquiries by specific media. One chapter covers "Telephone Telepathy," whereby one can be thinking of a person who then calls or can "actively induce" someone to call. He also covers cats who rush to the phone when it is their owner on the line, but of particular interest are the studies and anecdotes presenting evidence of other sorts of telepathic or psychic communication between children and parents, as well as the tales of dreams and visions that seem to have predicted the tragic events of September 11. Some of the material fails to convince (such as the woman who says her husband can sense the correct Trivial Pursuit answer if she thinks about it), and some readers may wish that Sheldrake had more fully dealt with selective memory and retrospective narration where details are unconsciously embellished. Nevertheless, the title chapter is extremely convincing, dealing with those moments in which we "know" someone is looking at us, and turn around to find it to be so: Sheldrake has data on response rates that differ as to place, gender and type of gaze (curiosity, sexual desire, anger, etc.), and goes on to devote a whole chapter to "Surveillance and Wariness." A nine-city author tour and a radio campaign may further sway skeptics.

https://booklife-resized.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/[email protected]

b050074fc7ca88a5b746b2c0de46c901-w204@1x.jpg

That little bit I highlighted in Mimsey . . .

Ummm, well, anything can, possibly be, false due to fraud or honest error . . . but as you say, he was doing his work under the watchful eye of scientists and in coordination with and based upon their research protocols as appointed and funded by the military . . . thus one can only conclude that the results were the actual results.

Next come the analysis and interpretation of the results.

And it is here two things can occur: a) prejudiced opinion and expectation can unwittingly skew the "findings" or b) the findings are exact and proper but those who did not do the work refuse to accept the findings as accurate as they contradict the prejudicial opinions or beliefs of a person looking at the other's work.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Errr, guess what we see a lot of on threads like this.

As a note: The Russians have their own successes reported in this kind of endeavor. And, as I have noted, there is the international organization advancing knowledge of this phenomenon and forwarding the abilities of regular Joes in the community to do remote viewing . . . thus, for them that can do it, they can do it!

But for them that don't do it because they don't believe it is possible: well, they are right: they cannot do it!:duh::duh::duh::ohmy:

Nothing to see here . . . move along:biggrin:

Hi Rog - I think what he discusses is real, but there are plenty who won't bother watching the video. Sure there is a possibility he could have scammed the Govt. - hell, Hubbard scammed me for 40 something years. I hate to think how much money I gave them over the years, paying enough money to get me and the wife get on OT 7 and become a patron with honors ( $120K us)

I agree it is a skill set that improves with use. The longer I was on Solo Nots the more I was aware of who was calling me. Why would that be? In solo nots you are communicating with the BTs telepathically. Whether or not BT's exist is besides the point, everyday you are in session, listening for telepathic communication. Many, many times I will be thinking about someone, and the cell phone will ring with that person on the line.

My argument, which is dirt stupid, is: If I can do it, then you can. I will say it is an easily invalidated skill since there are many who attack it as coincidence or serendipity. I have noticed when I am attacked for my views and get frustrated or buy into their convincing arguments, it happens less frequently (knowing who's calling)

But if you never try, you will never find out.

Mimsey

RogerB

Crusader
Mims . . . lots to comment on here . . . .

Hi Rog - I think what he discusses is real, but there are plenty who won't bother watching the video. Sure there is a possibility he could have scammed the Govt. - hell, Hubbard scammed me for 40 something years. I hate to think how much money I gave them over the years, paying enough money to get me and the wife get on OT 7 and become a patron with honors ( $120K us)

:biggrin: I am reluctant to tell you this Mims, my man, but I was lucky to get it cheap!! Way, way cheap. No membership shit or Patron Gloriousness shit . . . I forget the maybe $5,000 and no extra cost for C/Sing . . . though Review at that level (they got me for sec-checking when they found out I did the op for MSH) was $10,000 an intensive.:grouch:

I agree it is a skill set that improves with use. The longer I was on Solo Nots the more I was aware of who was calling me. Why would that be? In solo nots you are communicating with the BTs telepathically. Whether or not BT's exist is besides the point, everyday you are in session, listening for telepathic communication. Many, many times I will be thinking about someone, and the cell phone will ring with that person on the line.

:biggrin: Actually, what I didn't recognize, was that I ran out of BT's, as in BODY thetans . . .
I was off into the "ether" dealing with spiritual connections where ever they were/are, even in earlier universes:melodramatic: 12 fuggen years of it . . . why not? according the "standard tech" I was operating on . . . it was my unflat level!!!:duh::melodramatic:

Yeh, Hmmmm, fact is, it is "un-unflatable" it is an action that can never be flattend as there are an infinite number of spiritual connections to be had or perceived "out there" . . .

In an earlier post I wrote about discovering the earlier universe in 1977. . . it did not exist in Hubbard's tech. I wrote up lines and the existence of earlier universes was then added to the OT3 and NOTs correction lists . . .

My argument, which is dirt stupid, is: If I can do it, then you can. I will say it is an easily invalidated skill since there are many who attack it as coincidence or serendipity. I have noticed when I am attacked for my views and get frustrated or buy into their convincing arguments, it happens less frequently (knowing who's calling)

Mimsey

My observation is that it is indeed native to us all, but the problem is that in our western society/culture, since "modern science" has taken over with its "teh physical universe is all" mantra, a lot of our native spiritual attributes and abilities have been invalidated.

And it is a pretty simple proposition, I lectured on it in the 2009 FZ conference in Pasadena It's the point where the individual flips below the "Power Split" and goes negative and anti to himself and all the former positive positions and powers.

Indeed, for the last 6 weeks or so, I have my Sweet Virginia at home looking for a new job. I'll spare you all the details, but in essence she limped out of the position she had priorly due to destructive management above her. During that 6 weeks I gave her daily coaching and processing to recover to her her spiritual powers, abilities and awareness that had gotten invalidated in hte earlier job.

For any who want to know the results, you can read of the sequence of wins and recovered abilities posted by her on our Knowledgism forum . . . anyway, to cut the long story short, she and I, using our spiritual perception (a form of remote perception) we piloted her into the amazing job offer she received yesterday paying well into the "6 figure" level $12.2 K above the last job she had when she was happy. Interestingly enough, I told her earlier in the week the job offer she would get/accept would pay the amount this one pays except that I was $0.2K off . . . I even got the location in Manhattan where it exists.

Yep. My wife cogged she was mocking it up to run, had a multi dial blowdown and floating TA. Scanned the body, saw nothing, and ended session, never to pick up the cans again. When I see people on the level for years, tens of years... (Whole track dating joke) I am fairly certain that's what's going on.

The Pilot was into earlier universes in his tech writings. I was talking to Ken (the Pilot) years ago and he said when he exteriorized from this universe, it reduced to the size of a puff ball of cotton in his hand.

As far as these being native abilities, it is what it is. I meant to add, when I effort to guess who is calling me it happens less, when I am not concerned about proving the ability, it happens more frequently. Funny how the ability hides itself.

Happy fourth to all.

Mimsey

RogerB

Crusader
:biggrin: Err, from an Aussie who has learned to appreciate "The Fourth" happy Fourth Mimsey!

Ozzie Boz. :biggrin:

George Layton

Silver Meritorious Patron

Mimsey

Is it worth arguing that some tech of scientology will lead to a greater awareness if even ONE person gets sucked into a life devoured by scientology because of reading that there is some value that people THAT HAVE ALREADY GONE THROUGH IT have gotten out of it?

Is it worth arguing that some tech of Scientology will lead to a greater awareness if even ONE person gets sucked into a life devoured by Scientology because of reading that there is some value that people THAT HAVE ALREADY GONE THROUGH IT have gotten out of it?
Good point - my view of Scientology is this - I didn't have a bad time in Scientology like some, I had wins etc but it was way over priced. It is akin to selling Eskimos snow. There were really toxic side effects I would wish on no one - I have family and friends that have disconnected from me, I have a huge debt to pay off. I would not refer anyone to Scientology under it's current iteration, but I feel, if it were under the helm of a good hearted person, and was revised as a self help organization, ditched the purif and replaced it with a well researched drug program, ceased it's money grubbing rapacious ways, it could be something decent.

Get rid of the lying phony baloney eps, and deliver something honest that people might get worthwhile something out of. Do I expect that to happen any time soon? No.

So, no, I would not recommend Scientology despite it's PR of gaining alleged increased abilities, but what does that have to do with ESP, native abilities, PSI and the like?

Mimsey

Last edited:

tesseract

Patron with Horrors
simply tell 3 friends to chose among themselves who is going to call you at a certain time, and when the phone rings, you write down who it is before you pick up the phone

I've sent you a proposal for something slightly more sciency. :coolwink:
Edit: sorry my bad, I've read the post but first mistook this part above for the proposed experiment. I'm sorry it is late here and I've been hiking. :tobed: I'm going to look into the experiment at sheldrake.org. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

tesseract

Patron with Horrors
The Sense Of Having Seen This On TV Before,
But N'kisi Still Boggles My Mind.

[video]https://youtu.be/2UX4d2nb7yU[/video]

:drama:

http://www.sheldrake.org/research/animal-powers/testing-a-language-using-a-parrot-for-telepathy

For what's it worth, this is one of the PSI titbits that I found really captivating. :rubeyes:
I've seen the parrot N'kisi, the owner Aimée Morgana and Sheldrake in a similar documentary on cable TV, which must have been before 2013 as I don't watch TV anymore.
(And part of why I first ditched the pay-TV cable channels and then unplugged the antenna cable, is all that "Ghost Hunter" and "Bigfoot" thrash that invaded the science channels!! :screwy: )
Unfortunately there's not too much newer information on Sheldrake's site except that "the research with N'kisi continues". Hey, I want to know more. :biggrin:
If convincingly debunked, you're welcome to share that too. I won't search for it. Broken heart, and all that. :wink2:
Sigh.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
The Sense Of Having Seen This On TV Before,
But N'kisi Still Boggles My Mind.

[video]https://youtu.be/2UX4d2nb7yU[/video]

:drama:

http://www.sheldrake.org/research/animal-powers/testing-a-language-using-a-parrot-for-telepathy

For what's it worth, this is one of the PSI titbits that I found really captivating. :rubeyes:
I've seen the parrot N'kisi, the owner Aimée Morgana and Sheldrake in a similar documentary on cable TV, which must have been before 2013 as I don't watch TV anymore.
(And part of why I first ditched the pay-TV cable channels and then unplugged the antenna cable, is all that "Ghost Hunter" and "Bigfoot" thrash that invaded the science channels!! :screwy: )
Unfortunately there's not too much newer information on Sheldrake's site except that "the research with N'kisi continues". Hey, I want to know more. :biggrin:
If convincingly debunked, you're welcome to share that too. I won't search for it. Broken heart, and all that. :wink2:
Sigh.

Well something of a "spoiler alert" might be necessary here.

In previous years, I spent an enormous amount of research time on claims of the paranormal. I probably had a bias going into it, but not what one might imagine. My bias leaned in favor of the idea that it was certainly possible (quite likely in fact) that legitimate psi abilities could be found and documented. Well, judging by CENTURIES of such paranormal claims worldwide (and my then-association with Scientology's representations about OT level "powers") I assumed quite innocently (or naively) that all this literature could not possibly result in NOTHING being found of substance in the miracle-worker department.

My research was not lab-specific with scientific protocols in place. It was aimed at finding at least one (1) person in the world who could (and would) perform a supernatural feat in front of the cameras. Seemed like quite an exciting project at all times!

Well, I didn't find any. Perhaps I gave up too soon. Years seemed enough to me, lol.

But as I passed the half-way mark my enthusiastic expectations began to slowly dwindle. But the project's end, I had the entirely OPPOSITE bias than I did at the beginning. It seemed apparent that virtually all of the sensational claims of living paranormally powered persons were evaporating as fast as I could find and research them. Much of that work was done by professional debunkers, a list of such authors, researchers, scientists which is readily available online.

After this project was "over" and my association with Scientology was also "over", I began to unravel any bias one way or another in such matters. Thus, when I saw the psychic parrot video, I quite loved it. I was excited with what it showed to (apparently) be true! But, simultaneously, I had a "zero-attitude" (agnostic) where I was just as happy to find out that it WASN'T true. That is the beauty of real research....it doesn't matter which way the wind blows, it's all exactly the same value.

Anyone who has done similar research knows how to use the internet and find debunking info on virtually anything one cares to learn about. In the good old days, I would camp out at libraries and dig though mountains of microfiche, enjoying the wondrous journey of discovery all the way. It was exciting too, because it always seemed that there might be a miracle just around the corner!

Back to June 3rd, 2017!

So in about 90 seconds of online research, I came up with two key debunking that (sadly or not) made it clear that this "scientific" experiment with the psychic parrot was quite poorly structured as well as the statistical conclusions. Here, take a look if you don't mind learning some hard truths about how Sheldrake's experiment was badly flawed.

SAMPLE LINK

The next thing I looked for was to see what FOLLOWUP experiments might have been done to further validate credible statistical support for the conclusion that the parrot was telepathically responding to the "sender's" thoughts (while looking at photos). None were found, but admittedly, I didn't dwell on it for any length of time.

What would have been expected, however, is that if the original Sheldrake parrot experiment had shown ANY REAL STATISTICAL SUPPORT for his conclusion, I can't imagine why he did not do followup experiments with refined protocols. He didn't. And the raw data (when evaluated under a magnifying glass) is far less than compelling.

Again, fair warning to those who would love to hold onto the belief that this lovely parrot had transcended the known capabilities of the order of Psittacioformes (parrots); you may be gravely disappointed by reading up on these link(s).

However, it bears saying again. Whatever the truth of the matter, one can be equally happy to learn that parrots CAN or CANNOT perform telepathy. Because the parrot and the scientific testers and the readers of this post are all, themselves, existing in this world by some miraculous magic and mojo! How is that not a thing to rejoice of whether a parrot read minds or not?

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Apologies to anyone disturbed by my previous debunking post.

But, it reminds me of a philosophical conundrum that I once thought of, which I have never really found a perfect answer to. I have never read, nor heard, about this perplexing problem, so I pretty much think that I made it up. Perhaps I should give it a suitable name and await medals, lol.

Quite simply, it goes like this.

You discover a remote island that has never been visited by anyone in history.

The 1000 people living there are provably the most joyful and happiest humans alive!

However, their belief system (you soon discover) is filled with mythological misinformation, silly superstitions and sucky science. In short, it appears that their euphoria is based on perfect (but incorrect) beliefs about life, death and everything in between.

Now, as an "outsider" from the modern world, you have hopes of teaching them the truth about so many basic things, beginning with the world not being flat.

Yet, if you start to demolish the framework of their beliefs, a portal opens to all of life's tragic emotions and worries. This, for example, is the price of teaching them about curing disease with modern medicine and such. Malaria, it seems is not cured by making goat sacrifices to the tree gods. Let them die young but happy?

So, do you EDUCATE them?

Or, do you hide the TRUTH, preserving their glowing joy?

If you don't tell them anything, they remain ignorant, but blissful.

So, what do you do?

(ps: Isn't this the same crazy glue that keeps people trapped within cults like Scientology woefully and intentionally ignorant? )

Last edited: