What's new

Those who "quit fast."

Veda

Sponsor
"When someone enrolls, consider he or she has joined up for the duration of the universe - never permit and 'open minded' approach. If they're going to quit let them quit fast."

This thread is for those who "quit fast" or knew others who "quit fast."

"Fast" could be a few minutes, a few days, weeks or, at most, a few months.

(Many of us here would not qualify as having "quit fast.")

It includes those who had either good and bad experiences - or both - and concluded that they had had enough Scientology and wanted no more.

This includes the thousands who had done an intro "TRs Course," found it interesting and perhaps even beneficial, but looked around and saw the ubiquitous pictures of Hubbard, and thought, "That's was interesting, but I think I'll go now."

Talented-people-leave-4.png

Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie
Oh how I envied them. I knew several... that came and went in a flash... they were lucky and smart.

A long time ago when I was young and dumb....

I picked up a hitchhiker, the last one I ever picked up, that was recently released from prison. Somehow I mentioned Scientology - he got so EXCITED. He said that he had read several of the books. He was going to start his own religion.. and make lots of money like Hubbard. He said Hubbard was full of sit and just in it for the money. BUT he would really help people and make money.

The whole time this guy was riding with me the hair on the back of my neck was doing a porkypine thing. I got him out pretty quick. Later his photo was all over the news as being a serial killer.

But I had to hand it to him... he read it, evaluated it and dumped it fast.

:eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

Veda

Sponsor
A couple of examples of the more cheerful variety:

There were people, in the 1960s, who became briefly involved in Scientology, during the days of the old Grade Chart, and went up to Power Processing, were happy with the results, and then left, never to return. IIRC, there was a steady flow of Swedes who went to St. Hill for Power Processing (the Grade after Grade 4 and before "R6 End Words" which was before the Clearing Course). They did their Power Processing, were happy, said goodbye, and never had anything to do with Scientology after that.

They definitely knew something that we didn't.

I recall one young woman from the 1970s, from Puerto Rico. She spoke English poorly and was extremely shy. She came to the "Org" and did the Comm Course, and a few other courses, then the Student Hat, and she improved, and she became extroverted, and her English improved, and then she did something I didn't understand at the time: She quit Scientology, went back to Puerto Rico, and had nothing further to do with Scientology.

There were others who did the same sort of thing. Dipped their toes in Scientology, got something out of it, then got the heck away from it.

All the Scientologists thought they were foolish and were missing out, etc. Some thought they must have hidden crimes, or at least lots of misunderstood words.

Ah! But these folks who got away from Scientology were so wise.

Comm Courses were known for this. People would do them, have a good time, have "VGIs," and then leave.

The most notable Comm Course story, of which I know, is a fellow who did the just released "Hard TRs Course" in the early 1970s. This person regarded the Comm Course (briefly, then, also the "Hard TRs Course") as an inexpensive means of therapy for his wife (it cost, I think, 35 dollars) and a kind of odd head-trip for himself.

It took about a month, and I think his wife benefited - was more emotionally stable - and he seemed to get a kick out of it too.

This person had the wisdom to recognize that this was probably as good as Scientology was going to get - especially judging by money-spent/potential benefit ratio - and firmly rejected any future involvement with Scientology afterwards.

He ensured this future non-involvement in a novel manner, when he wrote his "Success Story" at the end of the course, describing how (to paraphrase) "Now that I've completed the TRs Course, I'm going to become a leader in the Hare Krishna movement."

106_1975_10-10-32-2.jpg

He was labelled a "squirrel" and shown the door, and that ended his and his wife's involvement with Scientology.

A wise man.

Veda

Sponsor
scs-00-cartoon.gif

Oh how I envied them. I knew several... that came and went in a flash... they were lucky and smart.

A long time ago when I was young and dumb....

I picked up a hitchhiker, the last one I ever picked up, that was recently released from prison. Somehow I mentioned Scientology - he got so EXCITED. He said that he had read several of the books. He was going to start his own religion.. and make lots of money like Hubbard. He said Hubbard was full of sit and just in it for the money. BUT he would really help people and make money.

The whole time this guy was riding with me the hair on the back of my neck was doing a porkypine thing. I got him out pretty quick. Later his photo was all over the news as being a serial killer.

But I had to hand it to him... he read it, evaluated it and dumped it fast.

:eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

The quickest entry and exit of which I know was a fellow who, around 10 PM, walked into the Org, carrying a suitcase. He had just arrived from upstate - a long drive.

He said he'd start course tomorrow, but the receptionist was insistent that he start NOW.

He demurred and repeated he'd be back tomorrow.

The receptionist then announced, in a Tone 40 voice, "Scientology is NOT for you!" applying reverse psychology and expecting him to compliantly stay.

The person paused, looked around, and said, "You know, I think you're right," and departed, never to return.

JackStraw

Silver Meritorious Patron
I knew a young man who was born in to it. Both parents very on-board.

He joined staff at a mission and then got talked into joining the SO at Flag.

He was there for a couple days and told them he was feeling suicidal.:omg:

They shipped him home with no possibility of working again in the SO or any scn cherch, mission or org!!!

(I, personally think he never contemplated doing himself in-just wanted out, like Right NOW! I think he was very clever!):happydance:

Jack

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
I 'quit' fast enough. Never considered myself a scno. After the ethics course. The 'public' one. That was after the public comm course, and another one - I think - PTS? Was that a course? Or was it part of the ethics? That is where I caught on. But still, it wasn't until I saw ethics in action, on someone, that the fear in me got so intense, that I was looking for the door, never to come back. I knew then, what this was, and it scared the hell out of me. I couldn't believe this was happening in USA, but there it was right in front of me. I also knew right then, that the trap was so insidious, that only those inside could bring this evil down. Only insiders waking up and getting out, would have any chance of bringing this down. And I waited and waited and waited. Then a book came out, then later another, and then later another, and so on. Books from exes, then the web and anon. And it has taken so so long. But here we are. Brick by crumbling brick, this insidious piece of crap faux religion is disintegrating and 'blowing' away with the wind, just like a real pile of shit eventually dries to dust and blows away. Do I think it will ever be gone gone? Probably not. There will always be those die-hards who would never admit, especially after all this time, that they were wrong - they are superior beings, after all.

The poor deluded lost souls. Never to know true freedom and real life. :sadsigh:

Thank your lucky stars you are all here, reading this, reading everything, anything you want - free free free. Gees, thank your lucky stars. :yes:

Edit add: Oh yeah, the 2nd public course I did was Tone Scale - and I think PTS was in that - - ? I took 3 public courses, then I was gone - after seeing someone get 'ethic'ed'. Holy shit - terrifying to see. That is when I knew. Quite a shock. Get out get out get out, get the f out.

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
There were people, in the 1960s, who became briefly involved in Scientology, during the days of the old Grade Chart, and went up to Power Processing, were happy with the results, and then left, never to return. IIRC, there was a steady flow of Swedes who went to St. Hill for Power Processing (the Grade after Grade 4 and before "R6 End Words" which was before the Clearing Course). They did their Power Processing, were happy, said goodbye, and never had anything to do with Scientology after that.

Isn't that the way it ought to be? There is an end phenomenon and then they leave to live life? Not hanging on forever; loving or hating the beast?

:)

Veda

Sponsor
Better known for having "quit fast" are those well known persons who had a brush wth Scientology.

Aldous Huxley and his wife were two of the earliest, having sampled Dianetics when, in 1950, L. Ron Hubbard audited him and his wife. In Huxley's words:

Up to the present I have proved to be completely resistant - the is no way of getting me onto the time track or making the subconscious produce engrams... Maria, meanwhile, has had some success contacting and working off engrams and has been repeatedly into what the subconscious says is the prenatal state. Whether because of Dianetics or some other reason, she is well and very free of Tension.

Huxley on consciousness, circa 1954:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9eD7oSX7dg

In 'Operational Bulletin 17' of February 1956, Hubbard described Huxley's 'Doors of Perception' (about his mescaline experience) as "a good book."

________​

Jumping ahead to the 1960s, there was Leonard Cohen, who was audited on the Lower Grades, and then chose not to travel any further on the "Bridge to Total Freedom and Total Power."

leonard-cohen-dianetics-course-ny-org-0-jpg.232010

Leonard Cohen, on course, in the Scientology Academy at the Martinique hotel in New York City.

_________​

Around the same time, William Burroughs had become involved, and had just completed the Clearing Course. He also chose not to travel any further on the "Bridge."

From a post on ESMB by DartSmohen:

I remember doing the review session on William Burroughs before he attested Clear in 1968. He was pleased to have reached that state.

The only person he would speak to at the AO was me, anyone else he would cut them dead.

After attesting, the Reg asked him if he was ready to sign up for his OT levels.

"I don't think so" was his waspish reply. The Div 6 lady asked him to write a success story on attesting clear.

He wrote "Adequate" and then flounced out of the building on his way back to NY.

__________​

In the early 1970s, Burroughs wrote approvingly of some aspects of Scientology "tech," but also warned that Scientology came into being, "fundamentally as [a means for] an ersatz [substitute] immortality for its founder..."

Photo and caption from The Auditor newspaper, circa 1968
William+Burroughs.jpg

An excerpt from the 1972 book Naked Scientology by William Burroughs, re. his experiences at St. Hill in the late 1960s:

...I remember one weekend after a few drinks confiding certain doubts about Scientology to a supposed friend.

"They'll wring it out of me at the next Sec Check," he sobbed. "Why don't you go straight to Ethics and make a clean breast of it?"

I remember some old biddy dragging me into a broom closet... and asking me on the e-meter, "Do you have any unkind thoughts about L. Ron Hubbard? ... That reads. What do you consider that means?"

"He's so beautiful he dazzles me. I can't help resenting it sometimes."

In the words of Celine - "All this time I felt my self respect slipping away and finally completely gone. As it were, officially removed..."

Like an anthropologist who has, after unspeakable indignities, penetrated a savage tribe, I was determined to hang on and get the big medicine...

...I was ordered for a Joberg [Security Check] because I rockslammed [a type of 'read' on the e-meter] on a question, "What would have to happen before Scientology worked on everybody?" (I couldn't confront it.) The [1961] Joberg http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/isd/isd-5i.htm ...is published for the first time in Inside Scientology http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/isd/isd.htm [1972]...

..."That's it!" barks a sulky Sea Org lieutenant in the doorway of the Public Ethics Officer.

"Everybody line up for a Sec Check."

When my turn comes I pick up the cans.

"Do you consider St. Hill a safe environment?"

"Yes, of course I do."

"There's a read there. What do you consider that could mean?"

"Well, we're surrounded by suppressives. It frightens me to think of these devils all around us."

I was learning...

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
When I was in the SO, briefly in the 80's, there was a guy at PAC who had joined straight from the navy or army or whatever. He was in about a week or two, we were on the EPF together, nice enough dude.

Then one day he was just gone. The lady who was the senior in HCO at the time (I hated her) just announced one morning "he will not be returning. There are just some people who come, 'find it bad', and then leave." But she said it in a very controlled, fuming anger, like almost steam coming out of her eyes and ears. She probably got in trouble by her seniors for not handling a new recruit properly and losing the stat.

Always wondered what actually happened to him.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Well, those who quit fast were perhaps either brighter or more perceptive - or was it less gullible than those of who so damn long?

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, those who quit fast were perhaps either brighter or more perceptive - or was it less gullible than those of who so damn long?
Or had tangled with sociopathlogy prior to co$/$cn, been burned already, and could more easily recognize it when experiencing it again, knew what it was this time . . .

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
About 1985 I was ordered to go to the welfare office (on Temple[?] in LA) and recruit people for the SO. I went down, found a couple who had nothing to do and nowhere to go and brought them back to Big Blue and routed them onto the EPF. Later that night, I went around to check on them. EPF IC told me that they blew because they didn't like the food!

Homeless? Check
Unemployed? Check
Penny-less? Check
Unwilling to endure SO conditions? CHECK!!

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've always thought Scientology had to be the inspiration for this line from "Hotel California" by The Eagles:

"...We are programmed to receive. You can check out any time you like but you can never leave."

Many people did well. They got their "ruin" handled and went off and did whatever.

And back in the day the org would knock on the door two or three times and then take "no" for an answer

I was active three years and a two to three year hitch could be a very good thing; it certainly was for me.

Onkel

Patron
I 'quit' fast enough. Never considered myself a scno. After the ethics course. The 'public' one. That was after the public comm course, and another one - I think - PTS? Was that a course? Or was it part of the ethics? That is where I caught on. But still, it wasn't until I saw ethics in action, on someone, that the fear in me got so intense, that I was looking for the door, never to come back. I knew then, what this was, and it scared the hell out of me. I couldn't believe this was happening in USA, but there it was right in front of me. I also knew right then, that the trap was so insidious, that only those inside could bring this evil down. Only insiders waking up and getting out, would have any chance of bringing this down. And I waited and waited and waited. Then a book came out, then later another, and then later another, and so on. Books from exes, then the web and anon. And it has taken so so long. But here we are. Brick by crumbling brick, this insidious piece of crap faux religion is disintegrating and 'blowing' away with the wind, just like a real pile of shit eventually dries to dust and blows away. Do I think it will ever be gone gone? Probably not. There will always be those die-hards who would never admit, especially after all this time, that they were wrong - they are superior beings, after all.

The poor deluded lost souls. Never to know true freedom and real life. :sadsigh:

Thank your lucky stars you are all here, reading this, reading everything, anything you want - free free free. Gees, thank your lucky stars. :yes:

Edit add: Oh yeah, the 2nd public course I did was Tone Scale - and I think PTS was in that - - ? I took 3 public courses, then I was gone - after seeing someone get 'ethic'ed'. Holy shit - terrifying to see. That is when I knew. Quite a shock. Get out get out get out, get the f out.

You mention "ethics in action" and "getting ethic'ed".. I'm new here, and I've never been a scientologist, but my ex-girlfriend is, and I'm trying to understand what it's all about.. Would you tell me what that is?

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
About 1985 I was ordered to go to the welfare office (on Temple[?] in LA) and recruit people for the SO. I went down, found a couple who had nothing to do and nowhere to go and brought them back to Big Blue and routed them onto the EPF. Later that night, I went around to check on them. EPF IC told me that they blew because they didn't like the food!

Homeless? Check
Unemployed? Check
Penny-less? Check
Unwilling to endure SO conditions? CHECK!!
A lot of crazy orders were done for weekly stats.

It didn't have to make any sense but it would save a staffer from being sent to an ethics officer and assigned a lower ethics condition for being down-stat for that week.

Last edited:

The_Fixer

Class Clown
You mention "ethics in action" and "getting ethic'ed".. I'm new here, and I've never been a scientologist, but my ex-girlfriend is, and I'm trying to understand what it's all about.. Would you tell me what that is?
I left sort of gradually in 78-79 and never went back.
A lot of things including the jargon has changed since then and I have the occasional bit of trouble catching up with it again. Not that it is all that important as I won't be getting back into it anytime soon. Or later for that matter either.

Ethics checks otherwise known as Sec(urity) Checks are an interrogative technique designed to get a devotee to confess to any sins or impure thoughts towards scientology using the E-meter (a galvanic bridge device with cans you hold used as a crude lie detector). If it reads you are considered to have "withholds or overts" you are not owning up to and are then considered a potential threat to the church. Possible precautionary and/or disciplinary measures are taken against you until it is all sorted out. Usually, you are issued the bills for this "service" as well.

That was just it in a nutshell. Others with more knowledge will be able to add to this.

If anyone else knows of your transgressions or withholds, they are expected to report them to the authority figure or they will be in trouble themselves as well. It can come up in their sec checks that they are withholding now as well.

This is why most people inside have guarded conversations and you soon learn you cannot trust anyone with your close thoughts. All cults do this to some degree or another, where they help control one another and keep their minds imprisoned within their little circle.

Hope that helps.