What's new

Nitrous Oxide and Hubbard

I think Hubbard was at heart, a scam artist. His ethics were in the toilet when he started Dianetics. He was a philanderer, he conned people, such as Parsons, and largely had no bounds when taking people's money from them. A narcissist, and a hypnotist, he fell into the self help business with Dianetics and made his first real money. But his personal life was a shambles, what with the bigamy, running off with Alexa to Cuba etc. bankrupting Dianetics etc.

Somewhere in the early 50's he has a "big key out" possibly during the dentist near death experience he claims to have had. Unfortunately, he changed or embellished that story so that it is unreliable. This fascination with making up stories about himself has lead to untold confusion to understanding who he really was. It was after this he wrote the axioms etc. I feel, that these were a result of whatever OOB awareness he had. You read of similar stuff all the time when people were revived after a near death experience. Or it could be a hallucination brought on by the nitrous oxide the used to knock him out to do the dental work. :confused2:

The scn. axioms, factors etc. have a different feel to them from the rest of his writing. The concepts have a quantum mechanics feel to them - the idea of a timeless awareness that lives outside of the material universe creating the universe of 3 dimensions containing time is quantumesque in nature, and also a sort of very old Buddistic theme. So, he could have plagiarized either or both themes and molded them into the axioms, since quantum physics was around since the 30's.

It is hard to know the genesis of them in any event.

However, if we consider he did have this sudden transcendental awareness, whether drug fueled or actual, it didn't last. He reverted to his scam artist money grubbing ways. But now it was different. He believed. And, more importantly, he was stuck in a win. And wanted to regain that state once again.

There are many indicators in his writing or tapes such as the 2d worm that found a 3d post sticking out of his world, that he woke up after the dental procedure in a different location in his head, saying how he "rose above the bank" etc., that indicates it may have happened, that he may have had this awareness shift. Or he simply was a gifted con man who knew which buttons to push.

He was conflicted between his relentless pursuit of fame and money, his belief he had found a technology of the mind and his vicious attempts to preserve it, to keep his followers paying for it by isolating them from criticism, and his inability to regain his earlier keyed out state, when others were getting big wins, such as when he was at Saint Hill.

In the end, one thing stands out - who spends much of his waking life like he did, auditing himself daily, in pursuit of a higher state if he had not had this big awareness shift? Why would he state he had failed at the end of his life?

Anyway, it is my theory for what it's worth. If you can contribute to or correct it, please do so. Check out the article on William James I linked below - he had a similar story to Hubbards.

Mimsey

From Wiki re: Nitrous Oxide
Altered states of consciousness[edit]

The effects of inhaling sub-anaesthetic doses of Nitrous Oxide have been known to vary, based on several factors, including settings and individual differences,[40][41] however, from his discussion, Jay (2008)[42] suggests that it has been reliably known to induce the following states and sensations:
Intoxication
Euphoria/Dysphoria
Spatial Disorientation
Temporal Disorientation
Reduced pain sensitivity

A minority of users also will present with uncontrolled vocalisations and muscular spasms. These effects generally disappear minutes after removal of the nitrous oxide source.[42]

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1996/05/the-nitrous-oxide-philosopher/376581/

The Nitrous Oxide Philosopher

Do drugs make religious experience possible? They did for James and for other philosopher-mystics of his day. James's experiments with psychoactive drugs raise difficult questions about belief and its conditions... ...William James, the American psychologist and philosopher...

The psychedelia of the 1960s was foreshadowed by events in the waning years of the nineteenth century. This first American psychedelic movement began with an anonymous article published in 1874 in The Atlantic Monthly. The article, which was in fact written by James, reviewed The Anaesthetic Revelation and the Gist of Philosophy, a pamphlet arguing that the secrets of religion and philosophy were to be found in the rush of nitrous oxide intoxication. Inspired by this thought, James experimented with the drug, experiencing extraordinary revelations that he immediately committed to paper...

...This experience, which in James's words involved "the strongest emotion" he had ever had, remained with him throughout his life. In 1882 he first described his experiments with the drug; in 1898 he published an article titled "Consciousness Under Nitrous Oxide" in the Psychological Review ; in 1902 he recounted the experience in his greatest work, The Varieties of Religious Experience ; and in 1910, in the last essay he completed, he implied that nitrous oxide had had an abiding influence on his thinking...

...James's experiences with nitrous oxide helped to crystallize some of the major tenets of his philosophy. His writings emphasize, for instance, the notion of pluralism, according to which "to the very last, there are various 'points of view' which the philosopher must distinguish in discussing the world." Nitrous oxide had revealed in the most dramatic way possible the existence of alternate points of view. Which was the "real" William James--the drug-addled visionary who spouted meaningless mystical drivel, or the sober, unmystical psychologist whose researches brought him international fame? James's philosophy was based on the thought that the good life--for society and, by extension, for an individual as well--involves a plurality of perspectives, of which the mystical and the scientific are only two. Equally important to the mature Jamesian outlook was the thought that religious experiences are psychologically real--powerful and palpable events that can have important long-term consequences whether the beliefs to which they give rise are true or not . Drugs helped James to understand what religious belief was like from the inside. When he took nitrous oxide, he was for all intents and purposes a religious mystic. ("Thought deeper than speech!" he wrote while on the drug. "Oh my God, oh God, oh God!") Nitrous oxide was the passport that allowed James to see religion from the believer's perspective, traveling between the worlds of science and faith.
more at link

Last edited:

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: My view of Hubbard

I have a theory about how all religion is started "on this planet" LOL. I first read about it in Gods of Eden, a book by Bramley. A lot of Scnists were reading it in the 80's. Anyway, the theory goes that certain entities have a vested interest in keeping war and strife going on earth and will meddle in human affairs. Religions are started with the purpose of keeping people divided and fighting. The religions always start with some mystical experience or hallucination which really sticks people into it. (ETA: the experiences often triggered by drugs or chemicals or shrooms, etc.)

I think Hubbard's mystical experience had to do with a certain entity he called the Empress, who guided him and guarded him. The theology he came up with subsequently had just enough truth and just enough lies to really stick people in it.

Here's an excerpt borrowed from another thread which talks about "the red-headed Empress."

".....a significant number of the Affirmations relate to Hubbard's "Guardian" – a magical concept that he had learned from Jack Parsons. In 1945, Parsons had written to Aleister Crowley to inform him that Hubbard had become his "magical partner" and described Hubbard's beliefs: "From some of his experiences I deduced that he is in direct touch with some higher intelligence, possibly his Guardian Angel. He describes his Angel as a beautiful winged woman with red hair whom he calls the Empress and who has guided him through his life and saved him many times."[16] Hubbard appears to have continued to believe in his Guardian Angel well after leaving Parsons's circle and wrote in his Affirmations:

"Nothing can intervene between you and your Guardian. She cannot be displaced because she is too powerful. She does not control you. She advises you."
"The most thrilling thing in your life is your love and consciousness of your Guardian."
"She has copper red hair, long braids, a lovely Venusian face, a white gown belted with jade squares. She wears gold slippers."
"You can talk with her and audibly hear her voice above all others."
"You can do automatic writing whenever you wish. You do not care what comes out on the paper when your Guardian dictates."[14]

From this thread
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ology&p=1137185&highlight=Empress#post1137185

Last edited:

I have a theory about how all religion is started "on this planet" LOL. I first read about it in Gods of Eden, a book by Bramley. A lot of Scnists were reading it in the 80's. Anyway, the theory goes that certain entities have a vested interest in keeping war and strife going on earth and will meddle in human affairs. Religions are started with the purpose of keeping people divided and fighting. The religions always start with some mystical experience or hallucination which really sticks people into it.

I think Hubbard's mystical experience had to do with a certain entity he called the Empress, who guided him and guarded him. The theology he came up with subsequently had just enough truth and just enough lies to really stick people in it.

Here's an excerpt borrowed from another thread which talks about "the red-headed Empress."

snip

That is similar to Robert Monroe's writing that earth was created for the production of Loosh which explains the nature of our planet where something has to die for something else to live, and our constant conflicts.

Robert Monroe and the Loosh harvesters.

Recently a fan of Robert Monroe's work wrote to me telling me that Monroe's experience in his book "Far Journeys" was weighing heavily on his soul and has kept him in a state of depression for years.

For those of you who have read it Monroe more or less states that the human race is the design product of a more advanced alien species which uses our planet as a garden to harvest "Loosh", where the human species is regarded as the prime and most productive farm animal. All our sufferings and joys produce emotional energy which is syphoned off by the aliens as a product and taken away to "somewhere" for their selfish use.

The person writing the letter said this was robbing him of his identity, self belief and confidence. Understandably perceiving yourself as a farm animal rather than as a divine being impacts on your self worth, confidence and probably should make you feel rather depressed, as it depressed Monroe himself for many weeks.

When I read Monroe's book, I was not convinced at all and could immediately see where it was all coming from, having studied thought forms and their genesis on the mental level in great detail as described in "Multidimensional Man" I identified it as a metaphor or a mythology in the same vain as many other creation stories in so many cultures have emerged and then evolved into belief systems. These type of mythologies usually emerge on the Astral or lower mental level. They are usually based on a single precept, idea or assumption and then develop from there into a seemingly sense-making format. Monroe had picked up the idea during an OOBE experience which may have been informed by the "personal field", subconscious dream content or the "inner storyteller". This is were all mythology is generated as are our dreams and fantasies.
more at link: https://www.facebook.com/monroeinstitute/posts/10152981599160227

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
. . .
Story of Excalibur (1938) . . . probably the genus of Dianetics

Forrest Ackerman, Hubbard's literary agent
:

"He said that he had died on the operating table, and that he rose in spirit form, and he looked at the body that he had previously inhabited and he shrugged the shoulders he didn't have any more and he thought 'well then, where do we go from here?' Off in the distance he saw a great ornate gate, and he wafted over to it, and the gate, as they do in supernatural films, just opened without any human assistance.

"He floated through and on the other side he saw an intellectual smorgasbord of everything that had ever puzzled the mind of man - you know, how did it all begin, where do we go from here, are there past lives, and like a sponge he was just absorbing all this esoteric information.

"And all of a sudden there was a kind of swishing in the air and he heard a voice, 'no, not yet, he's not ready' and like a long umbilical cord he felt himself being pulled back, back, back and he lay down in his body and he opened his eyes, and he said to the nurse, 'I was dead, wasn't I?'.

"Then he bounded off the operating table - I don't know how you die, then you bound off an operating table. He got two reams of paper, and a gallon of scalding black coffee, and at the end of two days he had a manuscript called 'Excalibur' or 'The Dark Sword'. And he told me that whoever read it either went insane or committed suicide. And he said that the last time he had shown it to a publisher in New York, he walked into the office to find out what the reaction was, the publisher called for the reader, the reader came in with the manuscript, threw it on the table and threw himself out of the skyscraper window."

attachment.php

Other people who've had visions under gas:

William James describes a man who got the experience from laughing-gas; whenever he was under its influence, he knew the secret of the universe, but when he came to, he had forgotten it. At last, with immense effort, he wrote down the secret before the vision had faded. When completely recovered, he rushed to see what he had written. It was:

“A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.”

What seems like sudden insight may be misleading, and must be tested soberly when the divine intoxication has passed.

Bertrand Russell
A History of Western Philosophy

So placing himself in his armchair, with pen, ink, and paper at hand, he inhaled the vapor of chloroform. As drowsiness stole over him, and just as unconsciousness was impending, those sublime and marvelous thoughts arose, and by a vigorous effort he seized his pen and wrote, he knew not what, for before he had finished he fell back unconscious. When he awoke, with trembling anxiety he turned to the sheet of paper on which he could read in scrawling characters, but quite legible, the secret of the universe, written in the words:

“A strong smell of turpentine pervades the whole.”

Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes

Sir Humphry Davy has related an experience, which I had forgotten when I recorded my own. After inhaling nitrous-oxide gas, he says:

“With the most intense belief and prophetic manner, I exclaimed to Dr. Kingslake: ‘Nothing exists but thoughts. The universe is composed of impressions, ideas, pleasures, and pains.'”

Published in 1800

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron

That is similar to Robert Monroe's writing that earth was created for the production of Loosh which explains the nature of our planet where something has to die for something else to live, and our constant conflicts.

Yep, that's the theory. I will check out Monroe's work. Never heard of the word "Loosh" before, LOL!

Barbara Marciniak also talked about this idea in her books. And the reptilian aliens. David Icke is another who espoused the reptilian alien theory, that they manipulate humans to create the negative energy, which is their form of food.

War, hatred, suffering....all feeds the need.

Nowadays, we get all the virtual war, hatred and suffering we need from the Internet, LOL

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
William James describes a man who got the experience from laughing-gas; whenever he was under its influence, he knew the secret of the universe, but when he came to, he had forgotten it.

I have had similar experiences with pot, but I mostly remember the "secrets" when I come out of it.

By the way, I LOVE this topic! Thanks Mimsey!

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
. . .
Mimsey,

Enjoyed reading your OP. Very well written and thought out.

earched
The Final OT Level Revealed *

Years ago, I was privy to the final breakthrough or "Final Level" as it's referred to. I've seen it. I've read it. It follows the exact research path that was originally traveled to unearth the basic secrets of the universe. In other words, you'll follow the same exact footsteps that were tread by LRH back in 1938.

A thumbnail sketch of what the final level or undercut consists of:

In the labyrinthine secret catacombs beneath the Super Power building, you (the PreOT) will sit in a specially designed dental-type reclining chair and be administered healthy doses of nitrous oxide. Once fully "under" you'll rise in spirit form, look back at the body you previously inhabited, and be directed to go to an area off in the distance where you'll see an great ornate gate. Like the entrance gate to heaven in mythological stories.

You'll waft over to it and the gate will magically open without any assistance. You'll float through and on the other side you'll see an intellectual smorgasbord of everything that has ever puzzled the mind of man.

A veritable "smorgasbord" of all knowledge in the universe laid out before you.

You know, like how did it all begin, where do we go from here, are there past lives, and like a sponge you'll just absorb all this esoteric information. All the secrets of the universe that had previously been hidden from your view and awareness.

Then, like connected to a long umbilical cord you'll feel yourself being pulled back, back, back and return to your body and open your eyes. Once you become fully alert again, you'll be given two reams of paper, drink a gallon of scalding black coffee, and feverishly write your success story.

Go to attest.
That's all there is to it. :shrug:

PS: Advanced ESMB members/readers who have all their "previous lurker levels" totally in will grok what this is all about., I hope.

PPS:
Yea, this is esoteric humor actually. * :wink2:

I have had similar experiences with pot, but I mostly remember the "secrets" when I come out of it.

By the way, I LOVE this topic! Thanks Mimsey!
Oh - do I ever know what you mean. I was stoned a good deal in college, and I was off in the woods of upstate New York and I took this photo, which in my drug addled state of mind, I thought was sublime and filled with hidden meaning. Shortly after, I realized pot was turning me into a zombie like state, so I quit it cold turkey. It took about a month to wear off and my mind was clicking again -- I looked at the photo again which was of a large log over a stream, with a couple large rocks at one end - to my surprise I saw the "hidden" meaning - it was a phallic symbol. So much for sublime insight.

Mimsey

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
I feel gypped. A few years ago my dentist talked me into doing nitrous oxide (my first and last time) for an invasive dental procedure and it did nada for me. Totally boring. Nothing changed. I've had much better results drinking a martini or a Long Island Iced Tea.

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron

Gurdjieff said something similar, that the purpose of all organic life on earth is to feed the moon.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/sorcery/gurdjieff-s-explanation-are-we-food-for-the-moon-t522.html

I tried reading Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson once upon a time. My impression was that Gurdjieff was a TERRIBLE writer, far worse than Hubbard. I didn't get very far, but I did make it far enough to encounter the bit about the moon.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

--snipped--

I think Hubbard was at heart, a scam artist. His ethics were in the toilet when he started Dianetics. He was a philanderer, he conned people, such as Parsons, and largely had no bounds when taking people's money from them. A narcissist, and a hypnotist, he fell into the self help business with Dianetics and made his first real money. But his personal life was a shambles, what with the bigamy, running off with Alexa to Cuba etc. bankrupting Dianetics etc.

Somewhere in the early 50's he has a "big key out" possibly during the dentist near death experience he claims to have had.

Just a note on dates. Hubbard began his scamming and lying back in the 1930s. He wrote "EXCALIBUR" in the 1930s. That's when book editors began "going insane" and "diving off of skyscrapers to their suicidal death". Two (2) decades before people began going insane and killing themselves from merely reading about Xenu (without paying for it).

So, all those theories people have that "...something must have happened to Ron in (name any year/decade after 1950)" because that's when Scientology started to become something, um, not so good". (i.e. that's when Hubbard's avariciously cruel hoax became apparent to that particular apologist)

All theories about Scientology being good ("once upon a time") but later exceeding its "sell by" date--- are just as sci-fi as the rest of the sci-fi writer's sci fi.

EDIT: Whoa, I see now that IL2L already posted the Excalibur info (earlier) on this thread. Oh well, I suppose it's still good to reflect again and again on how a rotten-toothed-liar who went (too late) to a dentist, but not too late to save the world!

Last edited:

Just a note on dates. Hubbard began his scamming and lying back in the 1930s. He wrote "EXCALIBUR" in the 1930s. That's when book editors began "going insane" and "diving off of skyscrapers to their suicidal death". Two (2) decades before people began going insane and killing themselves from merely reading about Xenu (without paying for it).

So, all those theories people have that "something must have happened to Ron in (name any year/decade after 1950)" because that's when Scientology started to be something other than an avariciously cruel hoax."

All theories about Scientology being good ("once upon a time") but later exceeding its "sell by" date--- are just as sci-fi as the rest of the sci-fi writer's sci fi.
Mmmm. Maybe. He always was given to tall tales. But this has a different ring to it. Did he say Excalibur was written after the dental procedure? Mimsey

WhatWall

Silver Meritorious Patron

[snip]

I think you hit it on the head with "narcissist, and a hypnotist". By the end of his life I think he was overcome by his narcissism to the extent that he had not much self-awareness of the scam. He became a victim of the reality he created. (Not deserving of any pity though.)

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?

Gurdjieff said something similar, that the purpose of all organic life on earth is to feed the moon.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/sorcery/gurdjieff-s-explanation-are-we-food-for-the-moon-t522.html

I tried reading Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson once upon a time. My impression was that Gurdjieff was a TERRIBLE writer, far worse than Hubbard. I didn't get very far, but I did make it far enough to encounter the bit about the moon.

Ya, Ouspensky on Gurdjieff is a much better read than Gurdjieff himself.

:)

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
My opinion is that it isn't worth spending time trying to figure out where Hubbard got his ideas from because they could have come from anywhere.

I've read all kinds of stuff about religion, spirituality, aliens etc and I could put together a much more expansive and convincing "religion" than he did.

It would be so comprehensive that people could spend years trying to understand where my ideas came from.

Obviously I wouldn't do it because I'm not as unethical as he was and I certainly don't have his chutzpah but the point is I don't think he had any great insight of his own. He just grabbed whatever he found and pretended he'd originated it.

My opinion is that it isn't worth spending time trying to figure out where Hubbard got his ideas from because they could have come from anywhere.

I've read all kinds of stuff about religion, spirituality, aliens etc and I could put together a much more expansive and convincing "religion" than he did.

It would be so comprehensive that people could spend years trying to understand where my ideas came from.

Obviously I wouldn't do it because I'm not as unethical as he was and I certainly don't have his chutzpah but the point is I don't think he had any great insight of his own. He just grabbed whatever he found and pretended he'd originated it.
It wasn't so much about where he got his ideas - my point was that he was trying to regain this higher state of awareness that happened to him in the 30's, and that he spent his life trying to do so. The state was of a profound religious perception of knowing the secrets to all life. However, my theory is that it was as a result of being given nitrous oxide during a dental procedure, which has produced similar religious visions in others, such as Henry James.

Henry James felt the experience was the most important in his life. A friend of mine had a similar keyout, and spent lord knows how much money on the L's trying to regain the state. I think he finally gave up. But Hubbard didn't. He pursued it to the bitter end.

Mimsey

Veda

Sponsor
lronhubbard-birthday-2017-lrh-biographer-dansherman_01C9667_en.jpg

-snip-

my point was that he was trying to regain this higher state of awareness that happened to him in the 30's, and that he spent his life trying to do so. The state was of a profound religious perception of knowing the secrets to all life.

-snip-

Mimsey

A higher awareness? Like William James?

Here's his description of it in a letter to his first wife. It's about as "religious" as a sledge hammer.

From the 1938 "Skipper" letter:

Living is a pretty grim joke, but a joke just the same.

The entire function of man is to survive. Not for 'what' but just to survive.["Not for what, but just to survive," as in have an impact that endures for the sake of having an impact that endures, in this case in the shape of L. Ron Hubbard.]

I turned the thing up
[The Dynamic principle of Existence: Survive!] so it's up to me to survive in a big way.

Personal immortality is only to be gained through the printed word, barred note or painted canvas or hard granite
. [Or stainless steel, or titanium, or by having 'L. Ron Hubbard' identified with people's 'survival!' and well being.]

Foolishly perhaps, but determined nonetheless, I have high hopes of smashing my name into history so violently that it will take a legendary form even if all the books are destroyed.

That goal is the real goal as far as I am concerned.

Things which stand too consistently in my way make me nervous. It's a pretty big job. In a hundred years Roosevelt will have been forgotten - which gives some idea of the magnitude of my attempt. And all this boils and froths inside my head...

I can make Napoleon look like a punk...

_____________​

And eight years later, from his 'Affirmations':

Your psychology is advanced and true and wonderful. It hypnotizes people. It predicts their emotions, for you are their ruler.

________________​

And this was written thirty one years later in 'Discipline - SPs and Admin'. Notice the continuity of theme.

I am not interested in 'wog' morality... I can make Captain Bligh look like a Sunday school teacher.

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
It wasn't so much about where he got his ideas - my point was that he was trying to regain this higher state of awareness that happened to him in the 30's, and that he spent his life trying to do so. The state was of a profound religious perception of knowing the secrets to all life. However, my theory is that it was as a result of being given nitrous oxide during a dental procedure, which has produced similar religious visions in others. . .

Was Hubbard "trying to regain this higher state of awareness" when he was calling book publishers (hoping for a book deal) and lying to their faces about people diving off buildings and going insane due to the earth shattering power of the (nitrous oxide) revelations in his Excalibur draft?

I will agree with you on one point. Hubbard did have a "profound religious perception"--according to his personal religious beliefs. To fully understand and appreciate that, one only need recognize the most sacred truth the reincarnate Buddha held above all others---money.

That's why after Hubbard discovered the ultimate "secrets to all life" in the 1930s ("Survive!").

After which he went on to discover the more ultimate secret in the 1940s ("Engrams are more profitable!").

After which he went on to discover the more ultimate secret in the 1950's ("Implants are more profitable!").

After which he went on to discover the more ultimate secret in the 1960s ("BTs are more profitable!").

After which he went on to discover the more ultimate secret in the 1970s ("Hiding is more profitable!") To wit, hiding his money ("Laundering!") and himself ("Bluebirds!").

After which he went on to discover the more ultimate secret in the 1980s ("K-Meters!")

K-meter: Kamikaze-meter. The ultimate religious artifact Hubbard discovered which would successfully end the endless search for body thetans--by successfully ending the body containing them. All in all very consistent with Dr. Hubbard's success-based technology!