What's new

Ex-Scn Still on Mailing Lists. Close with Scn Family, Haven't been active for years

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Re: Ex-Scn Still on Mailing Lists. Close with Scn Family, Haven't been active for yea

I remember back in the 1980's, the org I was at was willing to actively waste money sending to bad addresses, rather than admit how much of their addresso was no good (and have to cut back on their bulk mail stat). As you note, this is an indication that they are hurting for funding.

The cult just can't be honest - seems it's just not in their nature.

I do want to see big blue bulldozed into a parking lot.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Ex-Scn Still on Mailing Lists. Close with Scn Family, Haven't been active for yea

I remember back in the 1980's, the org I was at was willing to actively waste money sending to bad addresses, rather than admit how much of their addresso was no good (and have to cut back on their bulk mail stat). As you note, this is an indication that they are hurting for funding.

We wrote letters late into the night to files where the person had just the slightest contact with the org and then nothing for years until the mail was completely undeliverable (Adunk - Address Unknown). We didn't have internet back then so I wouldn't be surprised if they have kept all those Adunk files for decades in the basement with roaches and leaking pipes and are now trying to track everybody down until the file is sooo dead they have to use DNA off of the crumbling Dianetics book invoices to find you.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

We wrote letters late into the night to files where the person had just the slightest contact with the org and then nothing for years until the mail was completely undeliverable (Adunk - Address Unknown).

We didn't have internet back then so I wouldn't be surprised if they have kept all those Adunk files for decades in the basement with roaches and leaking pipes and are now trying to track everybody down until the file is sooo dead they have to use DNA off of the crumbling Dianetics book invoices to find you.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

We are extremely pleased to inform you that you have been awarded a priceless, up-tone, gold-tone, status-filled LAPEL PIN, celebrating your remarkable contribution to "100 Top STUPID CENTRAL FILES Moments In Scientology"!

:giggle:

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron

This supports my theory that they are operating under a broad program to verify addresses so they can cut down on promo and postage expenses - that, and recover people or declare them.

Smacks of desperation in any case because to do this means they will finally see what the real CF numbers look like and that will equate to a hugely crashed stat for somebody. Don't suppose CF stats will be mentioned in next New Year's Shermanothon.

One of the most stupidest letters was from Celebrity Center. It had a feel of threat and a don't call us, we'll call you attitude saying, "This is your LAST magazine from us! Our records state you did not buy anything from CC, therefore you will be removed from our mailing lists." My thoughts were, YAY!!!!!

The thing is, I did a couple services there and purchased materials.

JackStraw

One of the most stupidest letters was from Celebrity Center. It had a feel of threat and a don't call us, we'll call you attitude saying, "This is your LAST magazine from us! Our records state you did not buy anything from CC, therefore you will be removed from our mailing lists." My thoughts were, YAY!!!!!

The thing is, I did a couple services there and purchased materials.

Do you think it would be wise to send a reply: "About fucking time!" ?

Jack

cleared cannibal

No. They would regard a reply as a "reach ". It would also be a stat. They would keep mailing.
You know I have recently sent somethings back and asked to be removed from the lists. Just kind of an experiment on my part. Really can't do a lot of harm to me as I am getting a lot now. I am just kind of interested on what they have to say to me.

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
I'll tell you what I have done with at least one org. You have no idea what a junk mail nightmare I've been through with them - even while I was a full-fledged Scientologist. But when I left, I was of course even more irritated. I took the materials they sent and ripped it into little pieces, making sure the piece with my name and address was still in tact and legible. And they sent me a lot of materials. I stuffed it all into their postage paid return envelope, along with a post-it that said, "TAKE ME OFF YOUR FUCKING MAILING LIST!" The envelope was good and heavy too. They have to pay for that and there was some satisfaction in that I suppose.

But of course, that did not work.

I have engaged them dozens and dozens of times on the phone, and in person, both when I was in and since I was out, pleading with them to fix their files or to take me off their lists because I was in several orgs' databases in triplicate, sometimes more! I'd get mail from Flag, AO, CC, LA Org for up to four variations of my name, plus my partner's name, and two other family members who once took a introductory course 15 years before. Why couldn't/can't they get their system straight?? Once when I was in, I brought a huge stack of Celebrity magazines delivered to my house into the Pres' Office at CC demanding they straighten this out, and

nope, nothing. My mailbox would still be so stuffed I could hardly open it at times.

(Keep in mind, someone on staff is counting each of these mailers as a stat and another member of Scientology among the millions upon the earth.)

I looked into filing this thing at the post office, and I would have done this. I was about to. You can claim you are receiving obscene mail. They would have to stop. But this was going on more than a decade after I left the group and then I found myself on the phone with someone from SCN INT. We had a number of conversations over the course of a month and I not only informed him that I was writing a book, but also if he didn't do something about the mail situation, I was going to call my lawyer. It was more involved than that, but

somehow... the mail began to lessen. I haven't seen any in a long time. And I mean probably a year or more now.

renegade

Unfortunately, for people having the "tech" on duplication, comprehension, mis-understood words and understanding, this did not work for me. I got MORE letters and calls asking why, what did we do, etc.

The best thing to do is to send back the business reply envelope without any response. If everyone did that, we all would get removed a lot faster.

Annual BRE (Business reply envelope) permit is 160.00 + accounting fee 500.00. Thereafter each response cost is 49 cents PER oz. plus 11 cents. The org has to pay an advance deposit account to cover this.

If the BRE account is zero, the post office holds onto the letters and sends a pick up notice to the org. It has to be paid for in cash if not, the mail gets tossed after so many days. We'd raise the cash to pick this up because some could contain checks for books or materials.

A zero balance on our account used to put a stop on our bulk mail permit in the past ( a HUGE crime per policy) so the org would make this account a priority over purchasing TP, rent or utilities. However the org can use the HCO Book account to pay for this per policy.

ToeOut83

Patron
What renegrade said. Plus, here's a pearl of wisdom for whoever cares to consider it: We actually have a choice about what irritates us. I used to get irritated by $cn junk mail--now I don't. In fact, when I found one of my friends had bought a DMSMH book from a mall hawker years ago, and given her name a address just to get RID of the guy, I asked her to save the junk mail for me and I pick it up periodically. I send all postage-paid envelopes back, blank, just as renegade advised. That's a few dollars a year that DM doesn't get for his billionaire lifestyle.

Edwardo

Patron with Honors
I'm a big fan of replying to org emails and letters with copies of one's favorite website articles (with links to more).

If org staff or Scientologists don't talk to me about Scientology, I don't persist in trying to change their minds, but If they contact me, I think it's kind to at least try to warn them.

Anyway, replying with information about the faked event stats and DM beating the staff got me taken off every mailing list within a couple of months.

Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie
I live in a very very small town. I was in the post office chatting with the post master... that is how everyone got the latest going on in the area. I have used a PO Box for decades for security.

Anyway I mentioned that "sigh" I was getting all this mail from this weird group, I had prayed for it to stop, frown... sigh... and it just kept coming. I had begged to be removed from their mailing list and it still comes. SIGH

She told me not to worry about it - she would take care of it. She pulled out a form and started filling it out. She was familiar with that "group" all postmaster are.

I NEVER received another mailing... NEVER! I did not sign anything but she handled it. I got the phone calls to stop and have not received one for years after I offered to help the callers escape the cult. I did that for three calls in a row and it was over - no more calls.

No mail... no calls... OMG what a sciobot free life!

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
You don't have to do anything, actually. It's up to you. Given that your parents are very active, it may be the best thing to do nothing. Anything done to stop the mail might cause problems with your parents. Just trash any mail from the church and live your life.

As a note: opting out of a name search web site won't affect how the Church of Scientology tracks you. The web sites (and the church) use various public records to find the information and opting out does not hide the public records at all. Opting out of such web sites is mainly a symbolic gesture.

I think that talking about your experiences is a good thing and I encourage you to do so but, like the rest of this stuff, it's up to you.

Last edited:

wigee1

Patron with Honors
Naw , You got it all wrong guys, I look forward to my theta comm from orgs,I've been writing for over a year now, to many terminals
Now all scientologists can only communicate, no more than a couple of sentences, They have a mental block , But I keep a record of what ive said when I sent the return and how long it takes for the reply , I have a huge list of names , when they joined , private emails etc,
I never criticize or make them wrong , and lead them on with whats new , its a sort of GO action , info.The hardest thing is to keep it going , without attacking ,
Most staff are starved for basic communication and start opening up.Its like getting a letter from that lost Aunt Mabel who has a soft touch ;
for people saving the planet,
Remember , SO are totally screwed up on HELP, seen it many times lately ,Those nasty SPeees are getting in the way.
Its a long process , but its how I do it , it works.
Granitt

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I live in a very very small town. I was in the post office chatting with the post master... that is how everyone got the latest going on in the area. I have used a PO Box for decades for security.

Anyway I mentioned that "sigh" I was getting all this mail from this weird group, I had prayed for it to stop, frown... sigh... and it just kept coming. I had begged to be removed from their mailing list and it still comes. SIGH

She told me not to worry about it - she would take care of it. She pulled out a form and started filling it out. She was familiar with that "group" all postmaster are.

I NEVER received another mailing... NEVER! I did not sign anything but she handled it. I got the phone calls to stop and have not received one for years after I offered to help the callers escape the cult. I did that for three calls in a row and it was over - no more calls.

No mail... no calls... OMG what a sciobot free life!
Scientology doesn't pay attention to you.

They DO pay attention to the people who can suspend their bulk mail account.

renegade

I thought about sending anti-scn magazine articles in the business reply envelope, but then thought, would this be considered illegal?

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I thought about sending anti-scn magazine articles in the business reply envelope, but then thought, would this be considered illegal?
Sending mail containing threats and desire to do harm would be actionable.
Sending replies showing that they are idiots is not.

Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie
Sending copies of articles about Leah, Mike, Going Clear, etc. would be fun.
Sending dead rats would be rude.
Sending photos of happy people who have left would be fun.
Sending photos of dead rats would be rude.
Sending stats on the true number of sciobots would be fun.
Sending death threats would be rude.
Sending stats on the number of people/traffic to anti web sites would be fun.

Sending fun stuff in pre-addressed, pre-paid envelopes would be FUN!

;)

renegade

Ok, I may send some articles.

The only thing is, Scn can be so auto-pilot-brainwashed that they immediately disregard the info as "Entheta" and toss it out without reading it.

Maybe sending the personal values and integrity quote would be more effective and give them pause. The one about when they lose their own integrity, they have lost everything.