What's new

LA Sheriff Lee Baca

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Does that mean the whole lawsuit cannot be repeated at all (like when, for example, firing your attorneys "without reason" at a certain point ... :duh:) and sleazebaca stays free due to what might be called a procedural defect or a technicality, or does this mean the lawsuit can or will be filed again? :confused2:

It's at the discretion of the federal prosecutors whether to refile and prosecute the case again (new trial).

From the link to that article (post above this):

Federal prosecutors now have to decide if they want to seek to retry the case. A status conference is set for Jan. 10.

With one lone holdout, my guess is that they will go for a new trial.

Wonder if someone "got to" that juror, like often happens in cases vs. criminal enterprises (mafia, etc). That's how Mafia chieftain John Gotti walked away from several major federal criminal prosecutions.

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
Unfortunately 11 jurors voted to acquit, from the LA Times in my previous post:

"Jurors, who began deliberating late Monday, were split
11 to 1 in favor of an acquittal."

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
QK7dJU2zfis_b5tnGdmo1k9iBmWA183jpQpHQYqaNA-k-RNYaZREnrJjATkTqeO_A3ejbGCQnEo12W_1PaUjDVGxM-MqUP9trvDqu85nOKBtv-4tyDs-m9TsGMk=s0-d-e1-ft
BREAKING NEWS ALERT
January 10, 2017
Former L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca to face retrial in obstruction of justice case
Federal prosecutors announced today that they will retry former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca following a recent mistrial in which a jury nearly cleared Baca of obstructing an FBI investigation into the county’s jails.
Read more>>

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
In a related story:

Former No. 2 in L.A. Sheriff's office surrenders to prison to serve 5-year sentence

Former Los Angeles County Undersheriff Paul Tanaka surrendered Monday to federal authorities in Colorado to begin serving a five-year prison sentence for conspiracy and obstructing an FBI investigation into deputy jail abuses.Tanaka, who as the second-in-command ran day-to-day operations of the largest sheriff’s department in the nation, began serving his term at a minimum-security camp in Englewood, Colo., said his lawyer, H. Dean Steward.
“Paul is a very stoic guy, and he continues in that vein throughout all of this,” Steward said.

Last edited:

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
Baca 'was aware' of plan to obstruct FBI, former sheriff's official tells jury

Despite his claims of ignorance, former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca was deeply involved in efforts to interfere with FBI agents as they investigated abuses in county jails, a retired sheriff’s official testified Thursday.

William “Tom” Carey, a former Sheriff’s Department captain who has admitted to playing a central role in the scheme to obstruct the FBI, told jurors that he personally updated the sheriff on the efforts to thwart the federal investigation and that Baca attended several crucial meetings to discuss how to handle the crisis.

continues: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-baca-retrial-carey-20170302-story.html

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Part of Hillary’s email scandal fallout is greater support for public access to government official’s use of personal devices. This is just the kind of thing that could result in a tangential revelation involving Scientology.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...ail&utm_term=0_b04355194f-74d5f06b9c-74733185

///
Broadly speaking, the retrial is expected to mirror the first, with the government relying on testimony from some of the subordinates involved in the obstruction conspiracy, other witnesses as well as phone and email records to make its case that Baca helped concoct and carry out the plan to obstruct the FBI probe.
///
_____
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article136123468.html

///
State and local government officials can no longer shield from scrutiny their communications about public business by using private phones and accounts, the California Supreme Court ruled Thursday, handing a major victory to media and transparency advocates.
The state’s high court issued a unanimous decision, saying the public has the right to view messages about government business conducted in that fashion.
“A city employee’s communications related to the conduct of public business do not cease to be public records just because they were sent or received using a personal account,” Justice Carol Corrigan wrote in the ruling. “Sound public policy supports this result.”
///

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
In Baca retrial, familiar battle lines with some new faces as prosecutors hope for a different ending

The voice of former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca filled a downtown L.A. courtroom last week.

On a short recording of Baca, pulled from a past interview, jurors heard him assure federal authorities he had been unaware of a plan by a group of subordinates to confront and threaten an FBI agent who was investigating abusive sheriff’s deputies.

Listening as well from the witness stand was one of those subordinates. The recording ended and a prosecutor asked retired Capt. William “Tom” Carey if Baca had been telling the truth.

“Was he aware? Absolutely he was aware,” Carey said firmly

The exchange was a notable moment in the retrial of Baca, who for a second time faces allegations that he was part of a scheme to obstruct the FBI. The use of Baca’s own words and the appearance of Carey underscored the changes the government had made in its second attempt to convict Baca after nearly losing the first go-around. Neither Carey nor the recording was part of the first trial.

After almost two weeks of testimony, jurors are expected to begin deliberations Monday. The first trial in December
ended in a mistrial when the jury was unable to reach a verdict. All but one of the 12 jurors in that case voted to acquit Baca.

continues: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-baca-retrial-closing-20170313-story.html

George Layton

Silver Meritorious Patron
In Baca retrial, familiar battle lines with some new faces as prosecutors hope for a different ending

The voice of former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca filled a downtown L.A. courtroom last week.

On a short recording of Baca, pulled from a past interview, jurors heard him assure federal authorities he had been unaware of a plan by a group of subordinates to confront and threaten an FBI agent who was investigating abusive sheriff’s deputies.

Listening as well from the witness stand was one of those subordinates. The recording ended and a prosecutor asked retired Capt. William “Tom” Carey if Baca had been telling the truth.

The exchange was a notable moment in the retrial of Baca, who for a second time faces allegations that he was part of a scheme to obstruct the FBI. The use of Baca’s own words and the appearance of Carey underscored the changes the government had made in its second attempt to convict Baca after nearly losing the first go-around. Neither Carey nor the recording was part of the first trial.

After almost two weeks of testimony, jurors are expected to begin deliberations Monday. The first trial in December
ended in a mistrial when the jury was unable to reach a verdict. All but one of the 12 jurors in that case voted to acquit Baca.

continues: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-baca-retrial-closing-20170313-story.html

What they couldn't find a twelfth scientologist?

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

When the LAPD tried to intimidate the lead FBI agent investigating the case, threatening her with arrest, they must of truly been desperate at that point, and they had to realize the tactic could backfire in a spectacular way. Which it did. :biggrin:

I imagine it really pissed off the FBI investigators big time and gave them some extra motivation.

I think that Baca's only hope in this retrial is that his attorney does a great job in discrediting the witnesses against him.

Worst case scenario for Baca is that he can run his Way to Happiness campaign in prison.

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
QK7dJU2zfis_b5tnGdmo1k9iBmWA183jpQpHQYqaNA-k-RNYaZREnrJjATkTqeO_A3ejbGCQnEo12W_1PaUjDVGxM-MqUP9trvDqu85nOKBtv-4tyDs-m9TsGMk=s0-d-e1-ft
BREAKING NEWS ALERT
March 15, 2017

Jury convicts ex-L.A. Sheriff Lee Baca in jail abuse scandal

A federal jury convicted former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca today of obstruction and other criminal charges, siding with prosecutors who accused him of trying to block an FBI investigation into corruption and abuse by his jail deputies and of lying to federal authorities.

Read more >>

Little David,

This is big...you should post something in the "Breaking News" subforum. :yes:

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
1195020_1280x720.jpg

Sheriff Baca is deeply disappointed.

And what's with him making himself out with 5-star general insignia?

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
I guess that Alzheimers/sick/crazy plan didn't work. Always worth a shot though. :)

Good to see the FBI indirectly going after the cult. Next targets, the politicians who are owned by $cientology because it's time to breakdown the cults political protection.

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
I hope this Scientology shill remains locked up:

Former L.A. Sheriff, Lee Baca, Could Be Next for a Trump Pardon

LOS ANGELES - In the wake of a controversial pardon for convicted ex-Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio, will President Trump also pardon disgraced ex-Los Angeles Sheriff Lee Baca?

Baca's attorney Monday refused to comment when asked if there's any possibility of a presidential pardon for his client.

Baca is fighting to stay out of custody while he appeals his conviction for conspiring to derail an FBI probe into corruption in the jail system.

'I can't comment one way or the other,'' Baca attorney Nathan Hochman told City News Service.

Hochman was asked if Baca or anyone on his legal team had approached the White House about a possible pardon, or if there had been any contact with presidential officials.

''I understand'' the question, Hochman said, but he declined to respond further.

Baca, 75, was sentenced to three years in prison in May for his conviction on charges of conspiracy to obstruct justice, obstruction of justice and making false statements.

In a nine-page ruling, U.S. District Judge Percy Anderson found in July that Baca had ''failed to raise a substantial question likely to result in reversal or new trial.''

https://www.kcet.org/shows/socal-connected/former-la-sheriff-lee-baca-could-be-next-for-a-trump-pardon

Former LA County Sheriff Lee Baca Fails in Latest Bid to Stay Free on Bond
A judge ruled Baca's request to remain free on bond was filed simply to delay his prison time

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Former-LA-County-Sheriff-Lee-Baca-Fails-in-Latest-Bid-to-Stay-Free-on-Bond-443131453.html

Last edited:

JackStraw

Silver Meritorious Patron
I hope this Scientology shill remains locked up:

Former L.A. Sheriff, Lee Baca, Could Be Next for a Trump Pardon
[snip]

I'm sensing a a bit of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Were you a scnist? (forgive me, I don't know)

Seems to me to be a bit of A=A=A

Jack