What's new

Stories about stupid KRs

Tuppence

Patron
I am ashamed to say that I used to tattle on people too, usually with a TTSB report, if I didn't know with absolute certainty, when people were altering the tech in some way or doing something that would impede on their own bridge. For instance, I had a friend on OT3 who wasn't really eating, putting alcohol in her coffee and I suspected she was also making herself vomit after she did eat. I felt she couldn't even fly her rudes, let alone audit herself.

This same friend wound up writing a KR on me saying that I was generally aberrated, messed up on the 2D, and another that said I was talking to her about suicide. That wasn't true (at the time). Ironically, she was kicked out of Flag for threatening to kill herself. She later slept with my 2D while we were doing a chaplain cycle, which was one of the few times I wrote an actual KR on someone.

I have had countless KRs written on me, especially when I was on staff as the OES and the few minutes I was the ED and mentioned to INT that I was struggling with keeping the bills paid at my org. FLUNK! Apparently the mere mention of this caused a flap with a rippling effect all up the lines and I was assigned Enemy. Geez, sorry. Maybe INT shouldn't have taken the ED away and replaced him with someone who ran away with thousands of dollars.

I've also been written up for sleeping with -- another Scientologist! Can you imagine???? Apparently you can not do this at Flag. I'm talking about being a public. I hooked up with another public Scientologist. Some nosy woman thought it was a disgrace, wrote a KR and the next thing I knew, the Italian MAA was screaming in my face. She was like a fire-breathing dragon. About three days later I was walking around the pool at the Ft. Harrison asking people to please sign off on my Liability condition formula. Everybody knew my business.

Anyway, too many KRs to name.

I hated the idea of writing KRs I also hated writting O/Ws, which also went into files (so many files!). It always felt like a lot of responsability, because what if I misunderstood the situation? What if I was wrong about what I thought I saw? I also felt KRs were a sneaky way of inciting fear in the children and lower ranking officers. A way to control others behaviour(s) and so nobody shared real emotions, thoughts etc. I still look over my shoulder and ask myself, would it bother me if someone else knew what I am doing, could it be misconstude as something else? There are so many things (age appropreate) that I did not do, and still won't do.

And yes as children of sea org members we were expected to write KRs, O/Ws, attend auditing and sell scientology to the public, record our hours etc. We had to make ammnds and essentially RPF after our O/Ws, which we had to do when we got sick/ were written up on.

I can remember getting a KR, having to write my O/Ws, and then questioned about why the KR incident wasn't on my list of O/Ws. The person questioning (wasn't my mother) me didn't like the answer that I didn't feel it was a with-hold (as I did___ in-front of others) and protecting my sibling, sure it was intentional, but not something I think was an "overt act". I was sent back to write up mor O/Ws and they weren't happy when I just sat there (as I had already written up all my O/Ws), my siblings were called in, my friends were called in and asked to read my list and if they could come up with any I did not share. This was common practice as I recall.

KRs were not just for adults. I don't think any part of Scientology was "just for adults" as children are viewed as small humans, who are not much different than adults.

I do like that I was never talked down to by scientologists, nor was I brushed off just because I was a kid. But I never missed having to write up O/Ws or KRs.

Tuppence

Patron
I would like to say to everybody on here, (As I presume most of us have written KRs)

You have NOTHING to feel ashamed of or guilty for when it comes to writting KRs. The atmosphere in Scientology is one of a need to write KRs on EVERYTHING. Those who do not, and they know aobut something, can get a KR on them. There are so many "crimes" to report on and it would be suspisious if you didn't write them. They think (or they used to anyway) if you're not writting KRs then you have O/Ws.

Please forgive yourselves or find a way to make peace with the things you have done in Scientology that you would not otherwise normally do if you were not in Scientology.

I could say the idea or spirit of KRs may have started with good intentions, I think in the armed forces you are supposed to write up fellow officers if ...., and KRs may have been fashioned after those kinds of write ups, but then it was taken to the extreme.

My point is you should not feel bad for doing something that was expected of you, and if you didn't, then you were expected to give them ammunition against you.

hummingbird

Patron with Honors
Well, this doesn't compare with EZ's, but I'll chime in. I was the Receptionist at a mission. The Treas Sec let's call "Holly." I was told that under NO circumstances was I to forward a phone call to Holly without finding out why the person was calling. Okay. So a man called, asked to speak to Holly. I asked, politely, what the purpose of his call was. He said he didn't have to tell me, and to put him through. I said, "I'm sorry, sir but I can't --" and he yelled at me "Put me through! I'm her father!" I apologized and put him thru. Got a KR for that, for "refusing to put a call from her father through."

There was another even stupider thing about some fliers when I was down in LA at ASHO, but I don't feel like getting into it. Bottom line, they were a great tool if for some reason the higher-ups had it in for you anyway.

Last edited:

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
I would like to say to everybody on here, (As I presume most of us have written KRs)

You have NOTHING to feel ashamed of or guilty for when it comes to writting KRs. The atmosphere in Scientology is one of a need to write KRs on EVERYTHING. Those who do not, and they know aobut something, can get a KR on them. There are so many "crimes" to report on and it would be suspisious if you didn't write them. They think (or they used to anyway) if you're not writting KRs then you have O/Ws.

Please forgive yourselves or find a way to make peace with the things you have done in Scientology that you would not otherwise normally do if you were not in Scientology.

I could say the idea or spirit of KRs may have started with good intentions, I think in the armed forces you are supposed to write up fellow officers if ...., and KRs may have been fashioned after those kinds of write ups, but then it was taken to the extreme.

My point is you should not feel bad for doing something that was expected of you, and if you didn't, then you were expected to give them ammunition against you.

Thank you for giving out that very meaningful helping of empathy and love. I have to really cherish that because I often hear how I need to cut myself some slack for all the things I still feel guilty about that I did in Scientology, yet fly right past those sentiments and dismiss them. I need to stop doing that, pause and let myself off the hook. I know I am not to blame, especially because I was so young too. But you know how there isn't really any breaks for kids in Scientology. Kids are just smaller, shorter adults.

Coming to terms with these things doesn't happen in a day or just one time. It really is a process. But thank you for the great help this time around. I really appreciate it. :)

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
KR's were one great tang of the fork that finally pried me away from the cult. I found myself either gloating or being ashamed while writing them up, sometimes both. And on the other side, well, lol

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
In my org we had an OES (Org Exec Sec, in charge of 3 Divisions) who seemed to model himself on David Miscavige. I won't go into details but he made life unpleasant for many people.

At one time I was doing an Admin course and it involved spending a few days working for this guy to get experience of working in an org (I was public). One day he gave me a task to do which was just impossible and I couldn't do it so he wrote me a huge Cramming Order which finished with the word "Ethics". He gave it to me and said that he would do the Ethics cycle also.

Well, this infuriated me. I told him he was being judge, jury and executioner and I wasn't going to stand for it.

So, he stormed out of the office and told me to follow him. We went to the office of the HES (another big executive in charge of Ethics amongst other things), he thrust this piece of paper at her and pointed at me and said: "I want him handled!". It was obvious he was using this Cramming Order as a KR. Then he left.

I pointed out to the HES that this Cramming Order was full of nasty things he was saying about me and he shouldn't be allowed to do this to a member of public like me. She just laughed and said she'd seen much worse things he'd said about people.

Anyway, at that moment he appeared again in the doorway and again shouted something about wanting me to be "handled".

The HES replied that she couldn't handle it because I was OT and she wasn't so she was sending it to Saint Hill. This wasn't true, per Policy, but I think she'd just had enough of him from previous incidents. At that point the OES's mood became very subdued and he mumbled "okay" and went away. He obviously felt that he could get away with anything in our org but if Saint Hill found out he could be in trouble.

Then the HES held up this piece of paper, tore it in two, put it in the bin and said: "Handled".:yes:

There was a senior exec in my org who would also give impossible-to-carry-out instructions. He once asked me to go and get something from another room in the org. I forget what it was exactly, but his instruction didn't really make sense. He was asking for something very specific, and I couldn't see how it would be useful to him. I asked him to clarify his instruction, and he more-or-less repeated the same nonsense. So on my way to the other room, I was trying to figure out what I could bring him that would actually be something he could actually use, as close to what he had asked as possible. When I brought him the thing, he blew his stack, and said that that wasn't what he had asked for. My reply was that what he had asked for was gibberish, so I had altered his instruction as best I could to something that made sense.

He was evidently testing me to see whether I would alter-is his instruction. When I told him that the thing he had asked for was useless, and that I had tried my best to interpret what he wanted into something useful, he seemed to get it, calmed down, and walked off.

The same guy once randomly came into my space, and pointedly asked me "have you had a plant check?" It was so random that I had no idea what he was talking about. I was thinking he meant potted plants or something, and thinking "WTF is he talking about?". When he clarified that he meant a meter check as to whether I was an FBI agent or sent in by the psychs, I laughed, said I hadn't, and volunteered to take one. This evidently satisfied him, and off he went about his business.

Incidentally, when I fired back to the Org after KTL/LOC training, to set this up in the org, this same guy was highly suspicious of the fact that the KTL team was managed from outside the org, and that he couldn't issue orders to us. I think he became increasingly paranoid after that. God knows what was going through his mind.

W.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
There was something very spooky about the whole KR thing. There was something very spooky about everything that went on in our org. It was like the whole org had a mutual out-rudiment with society. At first, this made Scientology more alluring to me. It was like a Rubik's cube that needed solving. But eventually, I began to see it for what it was: nuts.

KRs are like everything else in Scientology: a nub of a good idea, taken to the point of reductio ad absurdum. When I got out into the real world, I initially thought "wouldn't it be great if other organisations had KR tech, etc". Now I just think it's all nuts.

Tuppence

Patron
Well, this doesn't compare with EZ's, but I'll chime in. I was the Receptionist at a mission. The Treas Sec let's call "Holly." I was told that under NO circumstances was I to forward a phone call to Holly without finding out why the person was calling. Okay. So a man called, asked to speak to Holly. I asked, politely, what the purpose of his call was. He said he didn't have to tell me, and to put him through. I said, "I'm sorry, sir but I can't --" and he yelled at me "Put me through! I'm her father!" I apologized and put him thru. Got a KR for that.

There was another even stupider thing about some fliers when I was down in LA at ASHO, but I don't feel like getting into it. Bottom line, they were a great tool if for some reason the higher-ups had it in for you anyway.

Hugs - I don't know what else to say, other than I can see what you're saying and right now I feel a desire to give everybody hugs because I know how hard it is when things are rough.

Tuppence

Patron
Thank you for giving out that very meaningful helping of empathy and love. I have to really cherish that because I often hear how I need to cut myself some slack for all the things I still feel guilty about that I did in Scientology, yet fly right past those sentiments and dismiss them. I need to stop doing that, pause and let myself off the hook. I know I am not to blame, especially because I was so young too. But you know how there isn't really any breaks for kids in Scientology. Kids are just smaller, shorter adults.

Coming to terms with these things doesn't happen in a day or just one time. It really is a process. But thank you for the great help this time around. I really appreciate it. :)

It makes me feel very happy to know I am helping and supporting you too. I expect this healing will be a long slow road, perhaps I will make friends on here, but if not that's okay because that's not the point of this. But to know I can return the care to you, makes me happy.

Thank you :D

exseaorgclocmoflagetc

Patron with Honors
I hated the idea of writing KRs I also hated writting O/Ws, which also went into files (so many files!). It always felt like a lot of responsability, because what if I misunderstood the situation? What if I was wrong about what I thought I saw? I also felt KRs were a sneaky way of inciting fear in the children and lower ranking officers. A way to control others behaviour(s) and so nobody shared real emotions, thoughts etc. I still look over my shoulder and ask myself, would it bother me if someone else knew what I am doing, could it be misconstude as something else? There are so many things (age appropreate) that I did not do, and still won't do.

And yes as children of sea org members we were expected to write KRs, O/Ws, attend auditing and sell scientology to the public, record our hours etc. We had to make ammnds and essentially RPF after our O/Ws, which we had to do when we got sick/ were written up on.

I can remember getting a KR, having to write my O/Ws, and then questioned about why the KR incident wasn't on my list of O/Ws. The person questioning (wasn't my mother) me didn't like the answer that I didn't feel it was a with-hold (as I did___ in-front of others) and protecting my sibling, sure it was intentional, but not something I think was an "overt act". I was sent back to write up mor O/Ws and they weren't happy when I just sat there (as I had already written up all my O/Ws), my siblings were called in, my friends were called in and asked to read my list and if they could come up with any I did not share. This was common practice as I recall.

KRs were not just for adults. I don't think any part of Scientology was "just for adults" as children are viewed as small humans, who are not much different than adults.

I do like that I was never talked down to by scientologists, nor was I brushed off just because I was a kid. But I never missed having to write up O/Ws or KRs.
KR's were a joke...it was like a political move...someone didnt like you and they would watch you until they could twist and interpret something as bad........Jenny would beat me up, basically fly into a rage and pysically charge at me and attack me because she didnt like that I verbally stood up to her bullying.............and then after being all bruised up by her sometimes bleeding, me always only in the defense pose with my arms up sheilding me(I knew how much clout she had)...... she would write a KR on me ..and because of her political pull and clout.....I would be the one in trouble(garbage duty and industrial pots and pan scrubber) and her completely untouched. Of course one of the KR reviewers that determined who needed what punishment was her parent. she got away with being a very rude tough bully all the time.

Last edited:

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
KR's were a joke...it was like a political move...someone didnt like you and they would watch you until they could twist and interpret something as bad........Jenny would beat me up, basically fly into a rage and pysically charge at me and attack me because she didnt like that I verbally stood up to her bullying.............and then after being all bruised up by her sometimes bleeding, alwyas only in the defense pose with my arms sheilding me...... she would write a KR ..and because of her political pull and Clout.....I would be the one in trouble and her completely untouched. Of course one of the KR reviewers that determined who needed what punishment was her parent. she got away with being a very rude tough bully all the time.

That sounds like my entire life, in and out of the Church.

Helena

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
KR. Surely one of the things anybody can point to & say with great " certainty " :

That's insane !

Tuppence

Patron
Well for "an ethical organization" I would say it was a good idea, poorly implemented.

As Scientology has so many of its own flaws and those in charge of clearing the planet (based on what I've seen and heard) Scientology is run by unethical people, who force others into being unethical as well, KRs became a way to tattle, to try and get revenge, to be spiteful and vendictive.

This is not the way KRs were introduced to me, they were supposed to be a tool to help Scientologists remail clear and ethical, they were supposed to be a tool to find the suppresive people who may have infeltrated scientology. This is obviously not how they were used. The way they were and probably still are used is as Gizmo said, insane!

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Well for "an ethical organization" I would say it was a good idea, poorly implemented.

As Scientology has so many of its own flaws and those in charge of clearing the planet (based on what I've seen and heard) Scientology is run by unethical people, who force others into being unethical as well, KRs became a way to tattle, to try and get revenge, to be spiteful and vendictive.

This is not the way KRs were introduced to me, they were supposed to be a tool to help Scientologists remail clear and ethical, they were supposed to be a tool to find the suppresive people who may have infeltrated scientology. This is obviously not how they were used. The way they were and probably still are used is as Gizmo said, insane!
KRs were a way to turn a community into a police state. The purpose of KRs were not to find "suppressives", but instead find anyone who disagreed in any way with any executive's agenda.

Tuppence

Patron
That is how they were used, yes!

Not how they were explained to the children of Scientologists, and again, if KRs were used ethically and for the purpose told to the children in Scientology, they could have been a useful tool.

Not having the people reading and writing them used as tools!

I remember the KR training, we were told that if we knew of someone who was saying anything negative about scientology, acting in a way that was harmful to thenselves or others, talking about going against Scientology teachings, then we were supposed to write a knowledge report.

It went from that to if you didn't brush your hair, your teeth, sleeping in class (school was my work) eating too much, watching TV and basically anything you didn't like about someone you wrote a KR about them. If they were or their parent(s) were high enough up the chain of command, nothing was done about it. If you or your parent(s) were not, then you were subject to the full force of whatever they thought would prevent you from doing it again. Even if that meant sacrificing sleep.

The police state was only for "the low man on the totem pole" so to speak. CMOs and CMOs children were not subjected to the same discpline as the CLOs and CLOs children. I can only guess they thought it would make more CLO members and their children try to become CMO members, because they seemed to be untouchables.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
If they were or their parent(s) were high enough up the chain of command, nothing was done about it. If you or your parent(s) were not, then you were subject to the full force of whatever they thought would prevent you from doing it again. Even if that meant sacrificing sleep.

The police state was only for "the low man on the totem pole" so to speak. CMOs and CMOs children were not subjected to the same discpline as the CLOs and CLOs children. I can only guess they thought it would make more CLO members and their children try to become CMO members, because they seemed to be untouchables.
Yes, rank was a big factor. I remember being berthed at the Heart of Clearwater. I remember being questioned by a lady who was an FSO MAA over why I was watching the TV in the reception area instead of going to bed. I told her I would be functional for post tomorrow. She demanded my name and post so she could write me up. I said "OK, I'm xxx, [Flag Bureaux executive post]". She just turned and walked away, and never bothered me again.