What's new

Scientology’s space opera ideas aren’t just for the upper levels, as one key early book shows

RSS Feed

RSS Feeder Bot
There is a new post up at the Underground Bunker

Scientology’s space opera ideas aren’t just for the upper levels, as one key early book shows

Rod Keller reminds us that space opera is not just for the upper levels in Scientology, and it’s actively part of what Scientologists learn today, as much as David Miscavige wants to promote a more businesslike, self-help image.

The Cincinnati Ideal Org is holding an event today with Jeanie Sonenfield and Rachel Kasle. [...]

Rod[.......]

Continue reading...

Teanntás

Silver Meritorious Patron
There is a new post up at the Underground Bunker

Rod Keller reminds us that space opera is not just for the upper levels in Scientology, and it’s actively part of what Scientologists learn today, as much as David Miscavige wants to promote a more businesslike, self-help image.

The Cincinnati Ideal Org is holding an event today with Jeanie Sonenfield and Rachel Kasle. [...]

Rod[.......]

Continue reading...
Has anybody else gotten a 'salvage' call suggesting that the 'alterations' in the History of Man might be responsible for your disenchantment with Scientology?

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Has anybody else gotten a 'salvage' call suggesting that the 'alterations' in the History of Man might be responsible for your disenchantment with Scientology?
I thought that the 'salvage' phone calls had stopped awhile back. This is still happening?

Teanntás

I thought that the 'salvage' phone calls had stopped awhile back. This is still happening?
I'm still getting a couple of calls a week after over 30 years with no contact with them. I'ts amazing they have time to do this, what with all the new millions that are joining.

pineapple

Are they actually suggesting this to people? What alterations are supposedly causing this?

Teanntás

Are they actually suggesting this to people? What alterations are supposedly causing this?
The message left on my phone basically said that I had bought a copy of History of Man and that I might have been shocked and if so that was due to alterations made to the text. The suggestion was that these troubling alterations had been undone in a new edition.

I found this.

http://www.truelrh.com/5207_HOM/alter_HOM.html

Last edited:

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
The one constant in Scientology is that it is always re-inventing itself.

'Didn't like, upset, no gains? Well, that was then, now we have this. Try it!'

Been like that since Day 1.

The subtext in later years has been 'well, it didn't duplicate Ron, now it does'.

So you just keep watching those juggling balls while they pick your pocket.

pineapple

At the bottom of the cover of this 2007 edition, does it actually say "Antediluvian Technology"? Isn't that awfully close to labeling it "old, not used now"? Wasn't that forbidden by the PL "Tech Degrades," which used to appear in the front of every course pack?

HOM%282007%29_dj_60ppi.jpg

Of course we know it IS antediluvian technology and no one has audited like that since 1952, but SAYING it is a big no-no per "Tech Degrades," a High Crime IIRC. :eek: So I'm very surprised that's on there.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
At the bottom of the cover of this 2007 edition, does it actually say "Antediluvian Technology"? Isn't that awfully close to labeling it "old, not used now"? Wasn't that forbidden by the PL "Tech Degrades," which used to appear in the front of every course pack?

HOM%282007%29_dj_60ppi.jpg

Of course we know it IS antediluvian technology and no one has audited like that since 1952, but SAYING it is a big no-no per "Tech Degrades," a High Crime IIRC. :eek: So I'm very surprised that's on there.
I suspect it's referring to the implant technology used (coffee grinder incident, etc), rather than the auditing technology.

pineapple

I suspect it's referring to the implant technology used (coffee grinder incident, etc), rather than the auditing technology.
Yeah, probably. But you must admit it's certainly open to misinterpretation. After all, "technology"? If you're in scn and you hear that word, don't you immediately think of scn technology rather than whole track implant technology?

If you take a room full of scngsts and ask them to tell you the first word that pops into their heads when they hear the word "technology," what's it going to be?

Last edited:

FoTi

Crusader
The message left on my phone basically said that I had bought a copy of History of Man and that I might have been shocked and if so that was due to alterations made to the text. The suggestion was that these troubling alterations had been undone in a new edition.

I found this.

http://www.truelrh.com/5207_HOM/alter_HOM.html
They have to make something wrong with the books they already have and the ones you might have purchased....how else are they going to make $ selling books if everyone already has the ones they are currently selling? They have to make new versions to sell and since they can't actually write any new books, they have to revise and update the ones they already have, and sell you the new revised edition and tell you that the ones you already have are no longer valid. Sleight of hand, sleight of hand, sleight of hand....and the dodo public believe and buy again.

Last edited:

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
They still sell the Dianetics book which describes the State Of Clear which Hubbard many years later admitted was really OT (which just happens to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars more).

The fact that this book is being sold as fact when it is mainly fiction should be classed as a fraud but somehow they get away with it.

FoTi

Crusader
They still sell the Dianetics book which describes the State Of Clear which Hubbard many years later admitted was really OT (which just happens to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars more).

The fact that this book is being sold as fact when it is mainly fiction should be classed as a fraud but somehow they get away with it.
That's nothing compared to murder that they get away with.....remember Lisa McPherson?

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
They have to make something wrong with the books they already have and the ones you might have purchased....how else are they going to make $ selling books if everyone already has the ones they are currently selling? They have to make new versions to sell and since they can't actually write any new books, they have to revise and update the ones they already have, and sell you the new revised edition and tell you that the ones you already have are no longer valid. Sleight of hand, sleight of hand, sleight of hand....and the dodo public believe and buy again.
Yah. I think you may have isolated the reason for them putting "antediluvian technology" on the front: it's the evil transcriptionist that put it on there, so it can be revised and re-released again in five years time, at which point they will "restore" the original version.

ETA: Or perhaps they did a survey, and they have concluded that ancient technology is a button that will attract the public, so they put 'antediluvian' on there to take advantage of that, despite the fact that it looks awkwardly phrased to a seasoned Scientologist. Must be true, if it's old.

Last edited:

FoTi

Crusader
Yah. I think you may have isolated the reason for them putting "antediluvian technology" on the front: it's the evil transcriptionist that put it on there, so it can be revised and re-released again in five years time, at which point they will "restore" the original version.

ETA: Or perhaps they did a survey, and they have concluded that ancient technology is a button that will attract the public, so they put 'antediluvian' on there to take advantage of that, despite the fact that it looks awkwardly phrased to a seasoned Scientologist. Must be true, if it's old.
They probably did do a survey.....I don't think they ever put out any new book covers without doing a survey of the public they are targeting...do they?..(I used to do some of the surveys for them...mostly we were sent to USC for raw public)....I also saw surveys being done on Scientologists as they went in and out of the orgs around the complex.

The surveys are part of the wash and rinse cycle for redoing book covers and reselling the same books over and over again.