What's new

Meter Circuit - This one works

SpittingChips

Was fixing my non working meter and came across a circuit on the Koos Nolst Trenite website.
I built this circuit and have got it working, however the instructions on his site are not so clear. This lead me to a thread on this site with instructions on setting up and building.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/threads/ralph-hilton-mk-4-meter-schematics.4109/page-2

I wanted to create a new thread to alert people that this circuit works and can be built and calibrated. As an aside the circuit looks very much like Ulric/s Biometrics meter from the early 90s. This is the meter I was fixing (it had a damaged meter movement).
I could not download the circuit in the thread so I also have redrawn it and included it here.

Attachments

• ability meter.jpg
    ability meter.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 12

TheSneakster

More Skeptical Than You
Spitting Chips: are you not aware that ESMB is perhaps the one forum most hostile to Independent Scientologists on the entire Internet ? You are likely to get chopped to pieces for posting about building E-Meters. Good luck. :p

Michael A. Hobson
Independent Scientologist
ex-Sea Org Member and Declared SP
email: [email protected]
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mhobson2011

RogerB

Crusader
Ya, welcome aboard Chips . . . fuggetabout the Sneakster's comment. This board was set up for folks to honestly make comment and exchange info.

R

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
Unfortunately your labelling is strongly misleading.

The circuit does NOT reflect a real "Ability Meter" as sold and used in the freezone, it is only a "Koos-Tinkerer-Meter" (with all its design-flaws).

A real "Ability Meter" looks approx. like this (depending on the version):

ability3.jpg

Last edited:
I've got an old Mark 5, just as a conversation piece. I suggest Mouser, Digikey or Farnell for odd electronic items. I would like to get an external battery holder, since my old Mark 5's batteries are probably dead (my soldering equipment should be hot enough to disconnect them, and send them to the county hazmat waste facility). NiCd cells do wear out, you know....

It would be cool to get a Tom Cruise or John Travolta mask and offer to audit people who come to my door on Halloween asking for candy. They are dressed up, why can't I dress up? I would hang my 10-foot vinyl banner (from eBay) proclaiming "SCIENTOLOGYPORTLAND.ORG". The parents might get the joke, that I was a scientologist. I'm not sure the kids would though.

EDIT: Maybe if I get my "basics books" out (also eBay), and display some of them prominently on my porch, more people would "get it".

Last edited:

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
I've got an old Mark 5, just as a conversation piece. I suggest Mouser, Digikey or Farnell for odd electronic items. I would like to get an external battery holder, since my old Mark 5's batteries are probably dead (my soldering equipment should be hot enough to disconnect them, and send them to the county hazmat waste facility). NiCd cells do wear out, you know....
Have you tried doing a battery check? Turn it on and turn the little black knob to the "test" position. If it's flat (needle doesn't go all the way over and bounce), you may just need to charge it.

I have a Mark V which is over 35 years old. The battery has never been replaced and it still works. (I don't use it, but it has a certain sentimental value.)

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have a Mark V which is over 35 years old.
Cool, so you have a chance to have one of those transformerless E-meters and get El Con's dreams fulfilled (if it has a grey front-panel and a black 3-pole jack at the side).

WARNING !!! Sarkasm:

- So connect the charge cable to the E-meter and plug it into the wall.
- Pick up the cans
- Do you feel anything ? No ? You had a bad day, nothing with El Con dreams....
- So if you felt something you are probably already on the way to visit El Con at "target 2".

WARNING !!!! It is life-threatening to connect an old Mark V with a grey front panel and a black 3-pole jack at the side for charging to AC-mains and pick up the cans !!!!

Last edited:

TheSneakster

More Skeptical Than You
Ya, welcome aboard Chips . . . fuggetabout the Sneakster's comment. This board was set up for folks to honestly make comment and exchange info.

R
Hey, I've been wrong before. I will doubtless be wrong again.

Sorry for my pessimistic comment.

Mike

Gib

Crusader
you emeter freaks ought to realize Hubbard's so called OT research was done on the Mathison E meter,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volney_Mathison

Hubbards true emeter research was done on the Mathison meter and not the Mark 5. Look it up.

http://www.skeptictank.org/essaycos.htm

Owens in above link describes it pretty good. But he's missing the data of the Emeter used by Hubbard and Mary Sue in Hubbards so called

"Electromagnetic Scouting: Battle of the Universes"

Here we go, sounds scientific. Rhetoric it is.

Listening to that tape lecture by Hubbard and Mary Sue nowadays I go WTF. Hubbard's so called research into OT was done a vacuum tube emeter which was BS from the beginning as well. For the love of God!

https://tonyortega.org/2014/06/17/r...ally-came-up-with-scientologys-space-cooties/

Now, you might notice at the very beginning of the lecture and taped recording of Hubbard and Mary Sue, why he says

"this a psychometric session of scouting the battle of the universes. Battling MEST -- oh -- and uncertain other universes which we know not much of this moment. We'll know a great deal more"

This is rhetoric.

From a auditing viewpoint if you will, how in the hell did Hubbard know it was a battle of universe?

Nope, he didn't know that, it was rhetoric. And what he thought is true.

And so Hubbard says we'll know a great deal more, LOL

The guy was nuts but gifted with the use of rhetoric and wordsmith.

Last edited:

pineapple

Cool, so you have a chance to have one of those transformerless E-meters and get El Con's dreams fulfilled (if it has a grey front-panel and a black 3-pole jack at the side).

WARNING !!! Sarkasm:

- So connect the charge cable to the E-meter and plug it into the wall.
- Pick up the cans
- Do you feel anything ? No ? You had a bad day, nothing with El Con dreams....
- So if you felt something you are probably already on the way to visit El Con at "target 2".

WARNING !!!! It is life-threatening to connect an old Mark V with a grey front panel and a black 3-pole jack at the side for charging to AC-mains and pick up the cans !!!!
Nah, I've got the blue front panel and two-pole jack.

I think I remember being warned before about holding the cans while the meter is charging. I think this used to be included in the documentation you got if you bought a new Mark V. (Which I never did. I got my first one used from my HSDC sup for $100, and this one I "inherited" from a friend.) I didn't know the problem was limited to those with a grey front and three-pole jack.

If I recall, the old written warning said you might get a shock. It didn't say that holding the cans while charging would result in permanent exteriorization.

e-meter-400dpi.jpg

Last edited:

TheSneakster

More Skeptical Than You
you emeter freaks ought to realize Hubbard's so called OT research was done on the Mathison E meter,
Disclaimer: none of the following should be interpreted as any sort of claim of validity or efficacy of any part of Ron Hubbard's "Bridge to Total Freedom" whether it be the Lower Grades, the Sections of the OT Course (called "OT Levels") or "the Whole track"

Gib, a half-truth is a whole lie.

Yes, in the early 1950's, Ron Hubbard was researching the Whole Track (whether one considers the methods dubious, I won't challenge). And yes, he was examining what he thought might be the native capabilities of the human spirit or thetan which he called the state of "Operating Thetan" or "OT". And, yes, those early researches were conducted with Mathison vacuum tube e-meters.

However, everything on Hubbard's modern Grade Chart from ARC Straightwire, Grade 0-IV, Power, Solo Auditing Course, Routine 6 End Words (R6EW) and the Clearing Course were all researched and piloted during the St. Hill Special Briefing Course (SHSBC).

The very first lecture of the SHSBC on 7 May, 1961 is about the E-Meter and explicitly mentions the "modern British Mark IV" which is a transistor meter based on the patented design by Don Breeding and Joe Wallis. The Mark V patent was filed in June of 1965 and granted in December of 1966. Mark V's were already in production and use when Hubbard was completing the Clearing Course and began developing and piloting OT Course Section I - Section VIII (first piloted on the Apollo in 1969 and never issued until after the release of NED for OTs aka NOTS due to adverse effects on some of the pilot pre-OTs). NED for OTs (NOTS) was developed using the Mark V, too.

If one actually examines the OT course materials for Section I through Section VII ( including NOTS ) that were liberated into the Independent Field, it may be seen that the processes and procedures of the "OT Levels" actually have virtually nothing to do with the Whole Track/OT research he was doing in the earlier 1950's on Mathison's vacuum tube meters.

Michael A. Hobson

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
A tangent for sure, maybe I could make a thread devoted to it but....

.....you meter peep's how did Hubbard learn what reads supposedly meant what? I've never seen any documentation on why he sez a certain read means a certain thing.

Is it just made up 100% on his part? And like everything else in the cult it's to be taken on faith?

George Layton

Disclaimer: none of the following should be interpreted as any sort of claim of validity or efficacy of any part of Ron Hubbard's "Bridge to Total Freedom" whether it be the Lower Grades, the Sections of the OT Course (called "OT Levels") or "the Whole track"

Yes, in the early 1950's, Ron Hubbard was researching the Whole Track (whether one considers the methods dubious, I won't challenge). And yes, he was examining what he thought might be the native capabilities of the human spirit or thetan which he called the state of "Operating Thetan" or "OT". And, yes, those early researches were conducted with Mathison vacuum tube e-meters.

However, everything on Hubbard's modern Grade Chart from ARC Straightwire, Grade 0-IV, Power, Solo Auditing Course, Routine 6 End Words (R6EW) and the Clearing Course were all researched and piloted during the St. Hill Special Briefing Course (SHSBC).

The very first lecture of the SHSBC on 7 May, 1961 is about the E-Meter and explicitly mentions the "modern British Mark IV" which is a transistor meter based on the patented design by Don Breeding and Joe Wallis. The Mark V patent was filed in June of 1965 and granted in December of 1966. Mark V's were already in production and use when Hubbard was completing the Clearing Course and began developing and piloting OT Course Section I - Section VIII (first piloted on the Apollo in 1969 and never issued until after the release of NED for OTs aka NOTS due to adverse effects on some of the pilot pre-OTs). NED for OTs (NOTS) was developed using the Mark V, too.

If one actually examines the OT course materials for Section I through Section VII ( including NOTS ) that were liberated into the Independent Field, it may be seen that the processes and procedures of the "OT Levels" actually have virtually nothing to do with the Whole Track/OT research he was doing in the earlier 1950's on Mathison's vacuum tube meters.

Michael A. Hobson
I love how you always want the information to be true and factual when it comes to hubbard and scientology, lol. Stating this is factually the exact wording hubbard used every single time will never make the wording hubbard used factual or true but it does go a long way toward making it seem so.

TheSneakster

More Skeptical Than You
I love how you always want the information to be true and factual when it comes to hubbard and scientology, lol. Stating this is factually the exact wording hubbard used every single time will never make the wording hubbard used factual or true but it does go a long way toward making it seem so.
So I guess the word "Disclaimer" at the beginning of my comment either escaped your notice or was somehow omitted from your vocabulary.

Mike

Veda

Sponsor
-snip-

Hubbard was completing the Clearing Course and began developing and piloting OT Course Section I - Section VIII (first piloted on the Apollo in 1969 and never issued until after the release of NED for OTs aka NOTS due to adverse effects on some of the pilot pre-OTs). NED for OTs (NOTS)
Are you quoting this from some Freezone site?

[Original OT 8] "...First piloted on the Apollo in 1969 and never issued until after the release of NED for OTs aka NOTS due to adverse effects on some of the pilot pre-OTs..."

Can you show us this 1969 OT 8?

RogerB

Crusader
Actually, as a matter of factual data on this above . . .

The first meter I saw was the old Blue Meter with a metal case, this in 1958-9 . . . I bought my own version of it in April 1960 to do my HPA course. This was a small meter, around the same size as today's meters, not the monster vacuum tube job . . . what the guts of it were, I don't know: transistors??? Certainly not the chips of today.

The British Mk4 was a wooden case, and a neat, very neat little fellow it was. I owned one from 1967 onwards.

The Patent Hubbard got was not for the invention of any meter :bignono: his "invention" was that of introducing a feedback flow of data that boosted the registering of the reduction of resistance . . . that is, the falls and blowdowns were amplified versus any other meter manifestations.

I had commented on this elsewhere as, in actuality, it was another of Hubbard's stupidities and examples of superficial even fraudulent "research" . . . in essence he thus was ignoring other valid changes of meter manifestations (I commented on the importance of certain Rise Reads in my 2099 FZ Convention presentation as posted here.)

But the other thing that is a glaring piece of evil in that example of Hubbard doing his thing with MSH is that he is inventing shit as he goes along in the "session" and TELLING MSH what she was reading on . . . that is, it was an exercise of evaluation, evaluation, evaluation and idiot input by him . . . NOT an exercise by him of finding out from MSH what she was aware of as the meter reads occurred!!:omg::groan::duh::wtf:

And hence we have the fantasy and fiction and scifi crap that is the shit peddled to the faithful!!:yes:

Reactions: Gib

Gib

Crusader
But the other thing that is a glaring piece of evil in that example of Hubbard doing his thing with MSH is that he is inventing shit as he goes along in the "session" and TELLING MSH what she was reading on . . . that is, it was an exercise of evaluation, evaluation, evaluation and idiot input by him . . . NOT an exercise by him of finding out from MSH what she was aware of as the meter reads occurred!!:omg::groan::duh::wtf:

And hence we have the fantasy and fiction and scifi crap that is the shit peddled to the faithful!!:yes:
yep!

Gib

Crusader
The very first lie was that dianetics could between two people produce a clear thru auditing themselves using the procedures of dianetics auditing.

That is not a half truth, but a out right lie from the very beginning.

One day I hope you realize you was duped. Once you realize this, why you are free, even Hubbard said one has to run scientology out.

Gib

Crusader
The first meter I saw was the old Blue Meter with a metal case, this in 1958-9 . . . I bought my own version of it in April 1960 to do my HPA course. This was a small meter, around the same size as today's meters, not the monster vacuum tube job . . . what the guts of it were, I don't know: transistors??? Certainly not the chips of today.
The first emeter or Mathison meter was a vacuum tube, not transistor.

What is the significance of that?

There are many.

Voltage sources connected to AC power in the 1950's varied a lot. And they still do to this day. AC power voltages vary from day to day depending on load by users.

There are things called constant voltage sources, which mean to keep the voltage constant regardless of many users.

Hubbards and Mathison Emeters never have in included a circuit for such.

One could have a voltage spike, and being connected to the emeter, could result in a read, which is false. Hence Hubbard's endless "correction lists".

But the bottom line of course is no clears or OT's.

http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/What-is-a-constant-voltage-source.php