What's new

Why Are Scientologists So Immature ?

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
I think Veda made a very good point earlier that if you start talking about politics you lose half your audience.

I block all politics threads and I'm not American so I have no idea what Republicans and Democrats are. Who is Bernie Sanders? National Rifle Association? Why am I reading all this stuff in this thread?

I've already forgotten what the thread is about and I've lost interest in going back to find out.
Remember when you were a kid and you saw - or maybe you yourself - picked on the retarded/slow kid? Didn't you feel icky or mean? That's how I feel when I talk about politics, like I'm being mean to or picking on the retarded kid.

I wonder how anyone can take the dumpster fire that is the US political sh*t-show seriously. Yet people do, and get very passionate about it.

Yeah, I know what politicians do has repercussions on the public but I feel like if you just leave them alone maybe they'll go on vacation 12 months a year. Hopefully.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Right on Dagwood!

If you review the OP, it is clearly a poorly veiled attempt to characterize Trump supporters as being susceptible to cult like indoctrination because they missed an important juncture in developing maturity - the implied corollary being that Hillary supporters matured normally and are therefore immune to cultish influences.

Unable to support this assertion, thread originator reverts to deflective rhetoric.

Shall we take up the Democrat Party platform point by point to explain the irrationality behind their thinking?

Case in point: The NRA was founded by former Union officers who wanted to address the problem of so many casualties in the Civil War attributable to poor marksmanship. Even in the 1800s the large population centers held anti-gun sentiments which could be later found in idealistic movements such as Neville Chamberlain's "Peace in our time". When war breaks out, it is the Churchills and people teaching our men, and now women, how to shoot who become the saviors of civilization and the Chamberlains are remembered for facilitating the invasion of Poland. While the NRA was shipping guns and home loaded ammo to Britain, the peacenicks wanted to negotiate their way out of the war.

But somehow regardless of the reality of history, the Dems perceive the NRA as a cult and themselves as emotionally and intellectually superior. They would have their own sons and daughters go to war never having handled a gun and the Second Amendment would guarantee the right to own and bear cell phones. The same cultural conflicts that existed between people from cities and people from rural America in the 1800s is much more solidified today and this can be seen in the maps of counties that voted for Trump or Hillary. The thing that defines this difference the most is cities rely upon government services more than rural areas. They have a vested interest in government expansion whereas government expansion is viewed as oppressive in rural America. Therefore, cities are predominantly Democrat and opposed to value systems associated with rural America such as firearms ownership. Do Hillary supporters think all of this through or are they only reacting to what they are being told? Something most people think of as being immature and culty.

If you can't support your argument based on reality then you resort to minimizing the other side by characterizing them as a cult. Samantha Bee's NRA skit is clever, funny, effective and rightfully capitalizes on the Scientology cult meme but it isn't intellectually honest and neither is this thread's OP.
Case in point Big Blue! You spoke from your own perspective about matters of common concern without having to drag "important sources" in to parrot in lieu of making a statement of your own. What I appreciate from a post! And yes I voted for Trump as I was scared to death of another Clinton getting in office plus I thought Hillary would just be more Obama. I remember when Obama was in office a friend from high school went to a speech he was giving at Lorain County Community College in northern Ohio, as obscure a place as they come, when we thought he was running the country. He wasn't. He was traveling around stumping for the Democratic Party, this was on his second term so he wasn't even stumping for reelection. My god!

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Case in point Big Blue! You spoke from your own perspective about matters of common concern without having to drag "important sources" in to parrot in lieu of making a statement of your own. What I appreciate from a post! And yes I voted for Trump as I was scared to death of another Clinton getting in office plus I thought Hillary would just be more Obama. I remember when Obama was in office a friend from high school went to a speech he was giving at Lorain County Community College in northern Ohio, as obscure a place as they come, when we thought he was running the country. He wasn't. He was traveling around stumping for the Democratic Party, this was on his second term so he wasn't even stumping for reelection. My god!
Thank you Dagwood. Whenever I feel like I'm waxing too philosophic I try to reel myself back in by asking myself if this is something I'm thinking because it is a personal experience and has directly effected me or more second hand. I find it to be a useful exercise to maintain balance.

I could go on and on detailing how these kinds of politics actually have impacted me personally but I prefer not to get too detailed about my life here and I kind of like David B.'s upthread analogy. The way I like to frame it is like bringing up politics at a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner or a funeral. The country is just about evenly 50/50 on politics so if you want to bring it up in a family setting or a party you are really saying you are willing to piss off one out of every two people there. So OK, whose more likely to do that? Left or right? Just so happens from the start on this thread the gauntlet was thrown down from the left, I'd add in a rather backhanded way.

I actually don't keep up with the political threads here very much any more. Sometimes I'll poke my nose in and chime in on something but I think it is best to keep it off to the side. The important thing is to focus on Scientology. I think Scientology has political agendas and strategies that exploit both left and right politics that need to be discussed but we can always spar over general politics somewhere else.

This thread provided opportunity for some good points but I'm going to move on.

Last edited:

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Thank you Dagwood. Whenever I feel like I'm waxing too philosophic I try to reel myself back in by asking myself if this is something I'm thinking because it is a personal experience and has directly effected me or more second hand. I find it to be a useful exercise to maintain balance.

I could go on and on detailing how these kinds of politics actually have impacted me personally but I prefer not to get to detailed about my life here and I kind of like David B.'s upthread analogy. The way I like to frame it is like bringing up politics at a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner or a funeral. The country is just about evenly 50/50 on politics so if you want to bring it up in a family setting or a party you are really saying you are willing to piss off one out of every two people there. So OK, whose more likely to do that? Left or right? Just so happens from the start on this thread the gauntlet was thrown down from the left, I'd add in a rather backhanded way.

I actually don't keep up with the political threads here very much any more. Sometimes I'll poke my nose in and chime in on something but I think it is best to keep it off to the side. The important thing is to focus on Scientology. I think Scientology has political agendas and strategies that exploit both left and right politics that need to be discussed but we can always spar over general politics somewhere else.

This thread provided opportunity for some good points but I'm going to move on.
Ditto, exactly!