What's new

The Simple Story of Dianetics and Scientology

Gib

Crusader
Dianetics, the bolt from the blue, as Hubbard rhetorically said,

well.

the simple story really is a man came up with a book and he said it was "A Modern Science of Mental Health", he called this book Dianetics, or thru mind.

And then a few short years later he changed his mind and called his view of life, he called it a religion, he called it "a applied religious philosophy" and named it Scientology.

The book Dianetics was all about going "clear".

Scientology was all about going "OT".

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
I could actually forgive Hubbard for being a know-it-all with each current thing he does being the end all - slices, dices, puree's and even doubles as a floor wax- and is all you ever need; if he would have ever said, "ya know I was wrong, we found new out new stuff and that's why we don't sell those old books anymore. It would be dishonest to sell people those old books now that we know it's not the complete answer."

If.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Dianetics was originally about finding the basic-basic engram (Hubbard's definition of "engram").

PCs were supposed to recall locks and secondaries until they could recall engrams in chains.
IMO, way back, this wasn't working so well so Volney Mathison made the e-meter.
IMO, the e-meter does measure changes in skin resistance due to brain activity (not Hubbard's explanations).
IMO, then we get "false memory syndromes" and some PCs finally realize they are just "mocking this stuff up", the clear cognition.
And, yes, a PC can get cog, VGIs, F/N from talking about this stuff.
(No hypnotic induction techniques were necessary.)

Although a PC will have feelings of mentally feeling better in their mind, they will eventually have delusions.
And Hubbard promoted the delusions especially at OT levels.

Last edited:

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
IMO, then we get "false memory syndromes" and some PCs finally realize they are just "mocking this stuff up", the clear cognition.
Um ... that wasn't quite the way I thought of it. It wasn't "I'm making these incidents up"; it was "I decided to make mental copies of incidents and to be affected by the force and mass in them. Now that I know I'm doing this, I can stop." That was what "mocking up my own reactive mind" meant to me. Just realizing that what I was running was "dub-in" wouldn't have seemed like much of a cog to me. But maybe others had different interpretations.

NB: I no longer believe this.

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
"And then a few short years later he changed his mind...".

I don't think he changed his mind. His earlier comments about the best way to make a million dollars as well as his affirmations give away his intention to start a religion and enslave his followers.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't think he changed his mind. His earlier comments about the best way to make a million dollars as well as his affirmations give away his intention to start a religion and enslave his followers.
I agree. We keep coming back to this chicken or the egg proposition. Was Scientology an attempt at creating a mental therapy that evolved into an integrated system of control or visa versa? And what was the motivation? Hubbard handling his own case, stamping his name into history, do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law, malignant narcissism, making money then more money, power, sadism, paranoia, delusions of space opera and military fantasy grandeur?

Maybe he knew Dianetics and Scientology could never produce what he promised so he piled on all these mechanisms of control to get out in front of the debunking when it would eventually catch up to him. In either case Scientology as a system of therapy is so integral to a system of behavioral control that there is no practical distinction between the two and if Hubbard’s original intentions were to use Dianetics and Scientology as bait for a system of control then they are by definition systems of control.

Study tech to create a closed information loop.

Specialized nomenclature and acronyms to isolate the membership and befuddle outsiders.

Drills to instill sensory dissociation and inculcate robotic behavior.

Ethics tech to manipulate shame, blame, regret, shift responsibility off of Scientology and onto the individual, create internal mental self censorship, reorient personal priorities, enforce disconnection for isolation and extortion.

The Tone Scale and other tables and charts to categorize people into classes for approval or disapproval and disparate treatment.

Qualifications Division mandated corrective indoctrination tech and cramming.

Certifications and Awards that can be used for both motivational or disincentive purposes.

Use of the e-meter for thought crime control.

Statistical management to remove common sense and individuality from decision making and create a self perpetuating system of increasingly difficult production objectives that eliminate anything in a staff member’s life not considered production oriented.

PTS/SP tech to alienate followers from critics and create an oppressed mentality.

Policy and internal judicial procedure for individual behavioral control and arbitrary self serving hierarchical organizational control.

PR Area Control to influence government agencies, institutions, media and co-opt other groups.

Intelligence operations to build dossiers, gaslight and attack perceived enemies.

Manipulation of the legal system, using courts and law to destroy opposition, extensive use of waivers, NDAs and Catch-22 arbitration procedures to strip membership of rights and recourse.

Religious cloaking to exploit tax laws and constitutional loop holes.

Internal organizational censorship, division of duties, contrived emergencies and conflict to create instability and prevent challenge of authority.

Fanaticizing upper management with creation of the Sea Org and getting all Scientologists accustomed to the idea that they are in an apocalyptic conflict for survival where a second set of senior military type laws takes precedence over society’s laws or even Scientology’s own previously stated administrative laws.

RPF as re-education/indoctrination camp to crush internal reform, instill fear, vet loyalty and prevent defection.

Subjecting staff to hard labor, sleep deprivation and degradation to break down resistance to authority and ability to think critically and rationally, deprive and erode logistical, communication and association resources needed to be independent and leave.

Complex organizational structuring to hide LRH's direct financial and managerial control to evade taxes and legal liability.

I think the most perverse thing about Scientology is the many subtle pernicious ways it defines personal and family relationships. I don't think it is possible for a Scientologist in good standing to be a true friend. Their loyalty to Scientology literally requires that they betray anyone who is against Scientology. Any family that is defined by Scientology will be out of communication with itself, misinformed and dysfunctional to the extent that it adheres to and respects Scientology. It isn't possible to have an uninhibited intellectual exchange of ideas about Scientology while remaining loyal to Scientology. KSW forbids it. If you are able to do this then to that extent you are no longer a Scientologist.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well Big Blue, if this is your dissertation for your finals exam at ESMB U the instructor should rate it an A-

Reactions: Gib

Veda

Sponsor
After the break up with 2nd wife Sara, from which Hubbard never recovered - as she rejected him - and the falling out with business partner Don Purcell (whom Hubbard had swindled), Hubbard, out of the blue, came out with his "Whole Track Maps," and then his "What to Audit' a.k.a. 'History of Man'.

Was Hubbard explaining (possibly to himself?, and definitely to others) why Sara had left him? He said she had been "PDHed" or "Pain Drug Hypnotized," which was a kind of "implant." This would have "keyed in" prior "whole track implants").

Old timer and Hubbard confidante at the time, John Sanborn, suggested that Hubbard was attempting to drive Don Purcell (who was a one lifetime, 1950s style, Dianeticist) a bit crazy.

One thing for sure, Hubbard's "research" into trillions of years of time track was done practically overnight.

Inventing a vast past for his followers gave him a certain amount of power over them.

__________​

"This is a cold blooded and factual account of your last sixty trillion years," from 1952's 'What to Audit' found Hubbard telling others the contents of their minds, but it was premature "mind grope."

Just as the early 1950s e-meter reactions projected on the wall with shadows, while the audience went "ooh!" and "ahh!," was premature "Your e-meter will tell you"-ism.

And the 1951 ('Science of Survival") "No rights of any kind" was premature SP Doctrine.

And the 1951 "dispose of quietly and without sorrow" was premature Fair Game Law and premature disconnection - disconnection in its most extreme form.

It was too early for the implementation of these ideas on the still small, fragile and tentative membership.

In the mean time, Hubbard surrounded himself with those excited about his much advertised vision of a better world, and excited about the full releasing of spiritual ability.

Hubbard liked to write and he liked to lecture, and he had a knack as a practical psychologist. He drew on the ideas and innovations of the most creative of those around him, and drew on his own knowledge of abreaction (catharsis, "get it [buried thoughts and emotions] off your chest") therapy, Korzybski's General Semantics with its "earlier similars" etc,, and Aleister Crowley's Magic(k).

He re-worked the (four 'letters' - ingredients - of the) Kabbalistic 'tetragrammaton', and it became his 'Four Conditions of Existence'. Hubbard rewrote Crowley's 'Naples Arrangement' and it became his 'The Factors'. He borrowed Crowley's idea of a multiplicity of infinite minds and further excited Scientologists with that notion. None of these were original with Crowley, who was as much a relay point as was Hubbard.

Yet, unlike Crowley, Hubbard would eventually incorporate the methods of psychological warfare into his system, and use those methods, not only on his perceived enemies, but on his own followers.

And when he finally - in the mid 1960s - unleashed, mostly covertly, the psychological warfare methods of the "Russian Textbook" on Scientologists, he also returned to fully utilizing those ideas he had briefly tested more than a decade earlier. He gave them a past, he gave them a future, he told them the contents of their own minds, and made it plain that only HE knew and others were going to be told.

emetertravolta.jpg

Hubbard had written confidentially of the importance of "using enemy tactics," and would even use those "enemy tactics" on his own loyal followers. He had written of psychiatrists in August 1963:

"Psychiatry is authoritarian and tells the person what's wrong with him, often introducing a new lie."

(An old con man trick is to warn others about bad ideas and actions, done by bad people, and then turn around and use the same ideas and actions on those whose guards are now down, having been warned about the bad guys by their "greatest friend.")

Soon to follow would be the secret and very serious, and very (Scientologists were told) dangerous, and vital to your survival "Clearing Course," "OT 2" and "OT 3," in which Hubbard would do what he said the psychiatrists did.

Hubbard had done this in 1952, but by the 1960s it was formalized and institutionalized, and a senior part of the doctrine of Scientology doctrine.

From Hubbard, 1966:

"Many persons experience unreality at the start of [implant] GPM running [told to you, not asked, by Hubbard through the materials]. This leaves when you see the meter reads."

L. Ron Hubbard, from 1946, from his (private) ''Affirmations':

"Your writing has a deep hypnotic effect on people and they are always pleased with what you write.

"Your psychology is advanced and true and wonderful. It hypnotizes people. It predicts their emotions, for you are their ruler."

____________​

Scientology, the trap, first needed its "cheese," and Hubbard spent the next ten years (approx 1953-1963) concentrating on that, before unveiling his 'bait and switch' "Bridge to Total Freedom" trap.

By the way, I like the idea of universal history and extraterrestrials, I just don't like being told the contents of my own mind and space by anyone - including L. Ron Hubbard.

That's "implanting."

And because of confidentiality, and also PR tech with its smoke and mirrors, it's covert "implanting."

Covert "Implanting" disguised as "auditing."

Hey, I think I just defined Scientology.

actual-ots.jpg

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Veda, when someone gets around to writing The Great Standard Reference Text, "Source's Sources" your writings are sure to be cited often.

One thing which has long puzzled me is why no one has pointed out one of the more obvious. Astrology is widely studied and naturally enough people interested in astrology are often interested in Hubbard's work but I've not seen anyone point out the very tight correspondence between LRH's three energy forms of flow, ridge and dispersal and the stargazers' Cardinal, Fixed and Mutable

Gib

Crusader
Well Big Blue, if this is your dissertation for your finals exam at ESMB U the instructor should rate it an A-
actually, I'd give a A+ as well as Ved'a's later post.

I have watched this guy's vid several times, it's the same as watching a great movie several times. Both are Emmy award's.

pineapple

Old timer and Hubbard confidante at the time, John Sanborn, suggested that Hubbard was attempting to drive Don Purcell (who was a one lifetime, 1950s style, Dianeticist) a bit crazy.
Interesting. @Veda, do you remember where Sanborn said that?

pineapple

He said it during an interview in 1985.

The particular quote can be found in the chapter Dianetics Abandoned in the book Messiah or Madman?
Is this the quote?
Around the time of the split between Purcell and himself, Hubbard​
started talking "whole track" and space opera and past lives....He
may have been putting this out just to bug Purcell. He was a prankster,
a trickster. He wanted to see what he could do. And he drove Purcell a
little bit berserk....
http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/mom/Messiah_or_Madman.txt

Sounds like he was trying to annoy Purcell, not literally drive him crazy.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
actually, I'd give a A+ as well as Ved'a's later post.

I have watched this guy's vid several times, it's the same as watching a great movie several times. Both are Emmy award's.

BAH!!!

Grade inflation!!!

A Plus ya gotta bring something new to the table AND do it with style

In fact if I were running a credit course here it would have gotten a C Plus

Veda

Sponsor
Is this the quote?

http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/mom/Messiah_or_Madman.txt

Sounds like he was trying to annoy Purcell, not literally drive him crazy.
Yes, that's the quote.

"...drive a bit crazy"; or "bug".... "...drove... a little bit berserk."

I heard all of the original Sanborn interview recordings shorty after they were made.

I also spoke with Sanborn, at length, on several occasions during the following few years.

I have a pretty good idea what he was saying.

In any event, it's included as one possibility - an opinion - and not worth arguing over.

I will say this: Hubbard liked the idea that he had the power to drive others insane. In fact it was a recurring theme in his pre Dianetics correspondence.

Gib

Crusader
Yes, that's the quote.

"...drive a bit crazy"; or "bug".... "...drove... a little bit berserk."

I heard all of the original Sanborn interview recordings shorty after they were made.

I also spoke with Sanborn, at length, on several occasions during the following few years.

I have a pretty good idea what he was saying.

In any event, it's included as one possibility - an opinion - and not worth arguing over.

I will say this: Hubbard liked the idea that he had the power to drive others insane. In fact it was a recurring theme in his pre Dianetics correspondence.
"I will say this: Hubbard liked the idea that he had the power to drive others insane. In fact it was a recurring theme in his pre Dianetics correspondence."

I'd also say that was the recurring theme throughout Dianetics and Scientology. That is you are insane unless you have gone thru Dianetic auditing and later Scientology auditing to achieve the state of "Clear" and then "OT". Until then, you are insane is what Hubbard said basically.

And what it boils down to is basically, agreement.

Gib

Crusader
"I will say this: Hubbard liked the idea that he had the power to drive others insane. In fact it was a recurring theme in his pre Dianetics correspondence."

I'd also say that was the recurring theme throughout Dianetics and Scientology. That is you are insane unless you have gone thru Dianetic auditing and later Scientology auditing to achieve the state of "Clear" and then "OT". Until then, you are insane is what Hubbard said basically.

And what it boils down to is basically, agreement.
my post on Tony O:

"
Gib • 9 minutes ago

I'd agree with what Sunny said about the process's are to bring a person into present time, that's what Hubbard said, and we fell for. Let me explain.
Missing behind what Sunny said, was that Hubbard's rhetoric idea was that we had "attention units" stuck in the past, from trillions or billions or millions of years ago. Thus doing these process's would free us from past attention units.

Sounds science like, and even like a one shot clear or "Be 3 feet back of your head".

That Hubbard was sure a sophist."

https://tonyortega.org/2018/07/31/s...f-the-universe-on-an-la-street/#disqus_thread

Terril park

Sponsor
my post on Tony O:

"
Gib • 9 minutes ago

I'd agree with what Sunny said about the process's are to bring a person into present time, that's what Hubbard said, and we fell for. Let me explain.
Missing behind what Sunny said, was that Hubbard's rhetoric idea was that we had "attention units" stuck in the past, from trillions or billions or millions of years ago. Thus doing these process's would free us from past attention units.

Sounds science like, and even like a one shot clear or "Be 3 feet back of your head".

That Hubbard was sure a sophist."

https://tonyortega.org/2018/07/31/s...f-the-universe-on-an-la-street/#disqus_thread
Hubbard certainly was not the expert he claimed to be.
Nor should everything he said be believed.However he had
some great insights.

It is generally agreed that one may be effected by past incidents, it even has a psychological term for it,PTSD. Wether
these incidents are trillions or billions or millions of years ago
one may decide for oneself.

I started to compulsively go exterior age 6, and by age 14
was able to do this at will. I was not a Scientologist nor
had I heard of it then.The only thing I've come across to describe this is "be three feet back of your head".

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hubbard certainly was not the expert he claimed to be.
Nor should everything he said be believed.However he had
some great insights.

It is generally agreed that one may be effected by past incidents, it even has a psychological term for it,PTSD. Wether
these incidents are trillions or billions or millions of years ago
one may decide for oneself.

I started to compulsively go exterior age 6, and by age 14
was able to do this at will. I was not a Scientologist nor
had I heard of it then.The only thing I've come across to describe this is "be three feet back of your head".
"Nor should everything he said be believed"...

Nor should everything he said be taken literally. He specifically and clearly states in "SOS", a book of which I am exceptionally fond as it is so well seasoned by little nuggets such as "The Auditor is courageous," that it is people low on the tone scale who take all things literally.

Hubbard's poetic liscence was in good order, professional grade and fiction is a vehicle truth travels in; anyone can be a mariner but one must be adept at tall tales to be "an old salt"; religious writing is commonly couched in the bizarre and incomprehensible and in "SOS" I was instructed to run whatever the PC gave me nor was I ever required accept as an article of faith the objective reality of any occurence millions of years in the past