What's new

The Simple Story of Dianetics and Scientology

guanoloco

As-Wased
I will say this: Hubbard liked the idea that he had the power to drive others insane. In fact it was a recurring theme in his pre Dianetics correspondence.

There's at least 2 books that Hubbard claims can drive a person batshit crazy:

Self Analysis
Excalibur

Then there's the Brainwashing Manual. I can't remember if it goes into detail of driving people crazy but it does detail loss of mental faculties/independence at the hands of another.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't suppose we'll ever know if Elron actually did write a book titled "Excaliur"

But "Self Analysis" drive someone crazy??????????????

guanoloco

As-Wased
All this is on your own responsibility. Anything as powerful as these processes can occasionally flare. If you are fairly stable mentally there is no real danger. But I will not mislead you. If you see somebody who isn’t quite as stable as he thinks he is working with Self Analysis, coax it away from him. If he can barely stand mental chicken broth, he has no right to be dining on raw meat. Send him to see a professional auditor. And even if he does throw a wheel, a professional auditor can straighten him out. Just send for an auditor. Don’t then, disabuse yourself of the fact that Self Analysis can send the unstable spinning. We’re dealing here with the root stuff of why men go mad. If it isn’t explained in the text, it will be found in a standard work on Dianetics. Even so, it is doubtful if Self Analysis could create as much madness in a year as an income tax blank from our thorough if somewhat knuckle-headed government.

L. Con Hu666ard

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
I don't suppose we'll ever know if Elron actually did write a book titled "Excaliur"

But "Self Analysis" drive someone crazy??????????????
When I was "in" I doubted that Excalibur really existed, but it seems that it actually did, or does. Gerry Armstrong claims to have read it and fellow writer Arthur Burks claimed he read it in 1938 when Hubbard wrote it. Hubbard also referred to it as "The One Command" and "The Dark Sword." This has been discussed before.
http://www.forum.exscn.net/threads/...-scientology-to-ot-levels.43360/#post-1130578

As for Self Analysis, in the Introduction Hubbard says:
All this is on your own responsibility. Anything as powerful as these processes can
occasionally flare. If you are fairly stable mentally there is no real danger. But I will not
mislead you. If you see somebody who isn’t quite as stable as he thinks he is working with
Self Analysis, coax it away from him. If he can barely stand mental chicken broth, he has no
right to be dining on raw meat. Send him to see a professional auditor. And even if he does
throw a wheel, a professional auditor can straighten him out. Just send for an auditor.
Don’t then, disabuse yourself of the fact that Self Analysis can send the unstable
spinning.
We’re dealing here with the root stuff of why men go mad.

http://projectavalon.net/Self_Analysis.pdf

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
"Nor should everything he said be believed"...

Nor should everything he said be taken literally. He specifically and clearly states in "SOS", a book of which I am exceptionally fond as it is so well seasoned by little nuggets such as "The Auditor is courageous," that it is people low on the tone scale who take all things literally.

Hubbard's poetic liscence was in good order, professional grade and fiction is a vehicle truth travels in; anyone can be a mariner but one must be adept at tall tales to be "an old salt"; religious writing is commonly couched in the bizarre and incomprehensible and in "SOS" I was instructed to run whatever the PC gave me nor was I ever required accept as an article of faith the objective reality of any occurence millions of years in the past

Two or three years after my life long best pal and I hooked up he told me he hadn't actually won a silver star in Vietnam and in fact when his Division at Ft Lewis was sent he was in the hospital with a broken leg suffered in a barroom brawl.

I don't regard him as a liar...

Veda

Sponsor

snip-
"The highest purpose in the universe is the creation of an effect." [bcolor=#808080] (Leaving one's mark)[/bcolor]

From Hubbard's 'Excalibur' letter of 1938:

Living is a pretty grim joke, but a joke just the same. The entire function of man is to survive. Not for 'what' [any ideal] but just to survive... I turned the thing up [the
"dynamic principle of existence: Survive!"], so it's up to me to survive in a big way.

Personal immortality is only to be gained through the printed word, barred note, or painted canvas or hard granite [or stainless steel&titanium, or convincing people that "LRH = Survival"]. Foolishly perhaps, but determined none the less, I have high hopes of smashing my name into history so violently that it will take a legendary form even if all the books are destroyed. That goal is the real goal [hidden agenda] as far as I am concerned. Things which stand too consistently in my way make me nervous.

It's a pretty big job. In a hundred years Roosevelt will have been forgotten - which gives some idea of the magnitude of my attempt...

Psychiatrists, reaching the high of the dusty desk, tell us that Genghis Khan, Napoleon, and Alexander were madmen. I know they're maligning some very intelligent gentlemen...

I can make Napoleon look like a punk...

From Hubbard's 1946 (to himself) 'Affirmations':

Your writing has a deep hypnotic effect on people
and they are always pleased with what you write...

Your psychology is advanced and true and wonderful.
It hypnotizes people.
It predicts their emotions, for you are their ruler.

l_ron_hubbard_dianetics.jpg

I am not interested in wog morality...
I can make Captain Bligh look like a Sunday School teacher. 1969

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
I wouldn't call Hubbard a liar merely for failure to carefully evaluate...

The highest purpose in the universe is The American League Pennant.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
"Nor should everything he said be believed"...

Nor should everything he said be taken literally. He specifically and clearly states in "SOS", a book of which I am exceptionally fond as it is so well seasoned by little nuggets such as "The Auditor is courageous," that it is people low on the tone scale who take all things literally.

Hubbard's poetic liscence was in good order, professional grade and fiction is a vehicle truth travels in; anyone can be a mariner but one must be adept at tall tales to be "an old salt"; religious writing is commonly couched in the bizarre and incomprehensible and in "SOS" I was instructed to run whatever the PC gave me nor was I ever required accept as an article of faith the objective reality of any occurence millions of years in the past
There is this in response to charge Hubbard was a liar

To whichh HH and Pitsy are welcome to respond

Gib

Crusader
Hubbard certainly was not the expert he claimed to be.
Nor should everything he said be believed.However he had
some great insights.

It is generally agreed that one may be effected by past incidents, it even has a psychological term for it,PTSD. Wether
these incidents are trillions or billions or millions of years ago
one may decide for oneself.

I started to compulsively go exterior age 6, and by age 14
was able to do this at will. I was not a Scientologist nor
had I heard of it then.The only thing I've come across to describe this is "be three feet back of your head".
that's really great Terril,

I hope you continue to be 3 feet back of your head, if that's how you see it..

Myself, after my experience in hubbard's crap, I'm 3 feet in front of my head.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
The key skill that Hubbard had and utilized to the nth degree was in taking all of the best writings he could copy/paste from, throwing them in a bowl and extrapolating out all the best of which that he could take sole credit for.
Add on the results of the special research assignments he gave to his followers, like the late Dillard "Bud" Eubank, who introduced him to Mary Sue, who told me how the entire 0 to IV grade chart was subbed out by Ron to a team of guys with a great cross spectrum of psychic/psychological training and experience in many of the "other practices" we were forbidden to participate in for the purpose of removing obstacles to clearing and came up with the grades that he claimed to be sole source of. Dillard said "we decided that it was for the greatest good that we all went along with it and kept quiet about it no matter who's ego got trampled upon".
Supposedly, and Hubbard gave some credit to him on occasion, Count Albert Korzybski and his General Semantics which had key elements that were morphed into some of the early Dianetics concepts but as I've never read it, I don't know the details.
Then through a whole lot of faked case histories, books like Dianetics came out along with his faked credentials and a "new science of the mind" was born only to die on the vine a few years later involving Don Purcell and he went on to crap out Scientology, the science of knowing how to know but not when to know it as the knowledge always seemed to come at a time it was no longer relevant, often to merely foster regrets - HA!
Never have I seen so much made of so little.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Better to die young than an old, deceitful, manipulating con artist who has destroyed the lives of hundreds of people.
Hubbard is reliably placed in the Operation PC Freakout program against Paulette Cooper, whose life was not destroyed

When a Chela attaches to a Guru

it is STRICTLY!!!

on a Caveat Emptor basis

"Twas ever thus...

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Better to die young than an old, deceitful, manipulating con artist who has destroyed the lives of hundreds of people.
"The lure of the pseudoscientific vocabulary and promises of dianetics cannot but condemn thousands who are beginning to emerge from scientific illiteracy to a continuation of their susceptibility to word-magic and semantic hash".

Which is why he was The Wordler, guru, guide and god to The Riddler, till supplanted by lil Ratman in a boob tube squirrel spinoff series that failed to make the grade!