What's new

New member. Currently reading Dianetics...

guanoloco

As-Wased
Your description doesn't sound like placebo effect to me. The characteristics of Scientology auditing that you describe sound to me like being consistent with the idea that Scientology's explanation for the generated phenomena is not an accurate explanation of what is actually going on when somebody is audited. So it's more like "incorrect explanatory model" than placebo effect.

Placebo effect, like 'confirmation bias' can be used by people as a proxy for the principle "if it doesn't fit my view of the world, then it's a placebo effect/confirmation bias/[similar scientifically-sounding collocation]'. Such people will accept the evidence of their own eyes when it fits with their preconceived model of the world, but reject it as 'observational error' in all other cases. That's not really science, in my opinion. I'm not claiming that "such people" include the poster - I'm just generalising my point a bit to cover other reactions that I observe frequently in people.

Without diving into it I think Bill is talking about some people believe to the extent that there are results. Sort of like telling wounded soldiers that sugar pills are the most potent dosage of morphine available. Some dont feel any pain after taking them and some do...because they're sugar pills. However, morphine has 100% results.

If Scientology was morphine it wouldn't get sugar pills-as-morphine results.

Therefore, it's sugar pills. Not morphine.

Last edited:

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Greetings!

The reason I registered on this board is that I'm basically trying to cheapskate my way through scientology. I've heard it's very expensive so I'm scared to even visit the Scientology shop in my city.

I would appreciate any advice on how to educate myself without the expenses

So far I have:

• I borrowed Dianetics from the library
  • I got the two hour long "How to do dianetics" dvd through torrents
  • Found a two hour lecture by David Mayo on how to use dianetics without an e-meter

https://www.spaink.net/cos/essays/engrams.html

Summary

"This paper formulates two hypotheses concerning the retention of events occurring during states of unconsciousness. It describes an experiment in which a passage selected from a physics text was read to a subject placed in an unconscious state by administration of sodium pentothal. During a period of almost six months, dianetic auditors were unable to recover the passage. Thus, the engram hypothesis was not substantiated by this experiment."

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
That's a strange reply for a dyed-in-the-wool Scientologist to make to the declaration that you would like to be "more aware". "More aware" is the kind of thing that a Scientologist would say. In fact, I'm surprised you stated your goal in that way, as a non-Scientologist at the time. I don't think I've ever heard a non-Scientologist say that.
What I gathered from his response was that he wanted me to be more specific. Perhaps he just didn't like my face.

Gaiman was a parasite. He ran the coffee shop at Saint Hill in the sixties that had an awful smell of the 'Guk Bombs' and the other vitamins he used to sell there. His coffee tasted like piss too and his sandwiches were inedible and far too expensive.

Last edited:

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
What I gathered from his response was that he wanted me to be more specific. Perhaps he just didn't like my face.

Gaiman was a parasite. He ran the coffee shop at Saint Hill in the sixties that had an awful smell of the 'Guk Bombs' and the other vitamins he used to sell there. His coffee tasted like piss too and his sandwiches were inedible and far too expensive.
I think I only spoke to David Gaiman once, on a break from the AOSH UK courseroom. Despite being in awe of him as a (reputed) class VIII auditor and OT 6 (not sure whether that was the case), I couldn't help thinking he was a bit shifty. But that was only based on a single conversation with him. I suppose it's unfair of me to judge him based on that one conversation.

Yes, I take your point about him taking advantage of whatever financial opportunities he could. He also had G&G Vitamins in East Grinstead, which seemed to supply all the UK orgs with their purif vitamins. On the other hand, how else could one survive financially in Scientology? You'd have to be a bit street-wise to manage to survive financially being a full-time Scientologist.

His son-in-law Mauro Calcioli also seems to have the knack of finding ways to make money out of Scientology.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I think I only spoke to David Gaiman once, on a break from the AOSH UK courseroom. Despite being in awe of him as a (reputed) class VIII auditor and OT 6 (not sure whether that was the case), I couldn't help thinking he was a bit shifty. But that was only based on a single conversation with him. I suppose it's unfair of me to judge him based on that one conversation.

Yes, I take your point about him taking advantage of whatever financial opportunities he could. He also had G&G Vitamins in East Grinstead, which seemed to supply all the UK orgs with their purif vitamins. On the other hand, how else could one survive financially in Scientology? You'd have to be a bit street-wise to manage to survive financially being a full-time Scientologist.

His son-in-law Mauro Calcioli also seems to have the knack of finding ways to make money out of Scientology.
Thanks for your post. I had no idea that G & G was still a going concern. Although I saw a lot of Gaiman at SH in the late 60's I never spoke to him again after our initial encounter in Fitzroy street in my very early scientology days.

His son Neil seems to have done very well as a highly successful author. I don't think he has had much to do with scientology though.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
Thanks for your post. I had no idea that G & G was still a going concern. Although I saw a lot of Gaiman at SH in the late 60's I never spoke to him again after our initial encounter in Fitzroy street in my very early scientology days.

His son Neil seems to have done very well as a highly successful author. I don't think he has had much to do with scientology though.
Yes, G&G is still going. Last time I looked, Mauro Calcioli was in charge of it, along with his wife Lizzy.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Greetings!

The reason I registered on this board is that I'm basically trying to cheapskate my way through scientology. I've heard it's very expensive so I'm scared to even visit the Scientology shop in my city.

You can get lots of free auditing from PaulsRobot at www.paulsrobot3.com. There is a Scn section, with procedures as close as I could make them to the regular Scn ones. However, if you are not that familiar with how a session is meant to go -- one's reactions when "charge" gets stirred up etc -- you might find it tricky to follow the instructions. I don't particularly recommend the Scn section there, as other PaulsRobot procedures get better results. But for people who want to finish off something started in Scn, or "have always wanted to do/get ____ [some Scn procedure]", there it is.

This video I made includes a Self Analysis session:

Paul

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron

He was declared in 1983 and the coffee shop and vitamins business were amongst many things mentioned in the Declare.

I knew his daughter Lizzy very well (not in the biblical sense). We shared houses at various times and so I met David on numerous occasions. He even gave me a metered Qual Consult in my org once and I once did a metered D of P interview on Lizzy at Saint Hill after David had audited her. I was a member of public and not even Saint Hill public but that didn't seem to matter to anyone.

She is still very much in scientology and recently did an interview on DM's website praising him and saying she would "follow him anywhere". It was sickening for me to watch.

phenomanon

Canyon
He was declared in 1983 and the coffee shop and vitamins business were amongst many things mentioned in the Declare.

I knew his daughter Lizzy very well (not in the biblical sense). We shared houses at various times and so I met David on numerous occasions. He even gave me a metered Qual Consult in my org once and I once did a metered D of P interview on Lizzy at Saint Hill after David had audited her. I was a member of public and not even Saint Hill public but that didn't seem to matter to anyone.

She is still very much in scientology and recently did an interview on DM's website praising him and saying she would "follow him anywhere". It was sickening for me to watch.
David Gaiman wrote the HCOPLs on Infiltration. They first ran the program on the World Health Organization. 1960s It is the program that COS ran on CAN, in order to infiltrate and destroy it, and then they ran it on CADA, where they experienced an epic failure to infiltrate. ( 1989/90).

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Clay Pigeon (Commander Birdsong),
Memories fade, whether we want them to fade or not. It's just what happens. In Scientology, we were taught to ignore the bad and move past it. That's okay short-term, but bad things need to be addressed by more than a knowledge report and committees of evidence that are little more than a gang-bang on those who aren't true believers or big financial contributors.

Yes, you mentioned your proposed Amendment a few years when you were using a different ID. I remember about your son, too. Very sad. :bigcry: Birdie, I hope you found some sort of inner peace. If not, I hope you can use this Board in a different way and open up a bit so you can. There are good people here.

Back to you and Scientology and my original question: why haven't you continued past ARC S/W? It certainly isn't from you not believing in the tech; you spend thousands of hours writing about your love and gratitude to L Ron Hubbard. If this is what you believe in, then, what are you doing about it?

You are a Life Repair completion, right? Do you believe your life has been repaired so that you can move on with your goals? Did you attain the EP or not? If not, Birdie, it's not too late to just open up and chat with people here. Life is too short not to have heart-to-hearts with others while we can. If what you want more than anything is to do more in Scientology and you haven't done more in decades, well, you sound kind of stuck.

Birdie, no matter how many thousands of times you write here how grateful you are to Hubbard, there will never be enough people with sufficient THANK YOUs! I GOT THATs! :) Because YOU, Birdie, need to figure out what it is you really need acknowledged and acknowledge yourself.

So how about changing something then? You've done the same thing, written the same undying love and gratitude toward Hubbard for years. Why don't you write about you, Birdie. Just you. Not about Hubbard, about you. You might be surprised how people will listen when you open up the door to your heart.
I wish you the best, and hope you attain your goals, whatever and wherever they may be. :rose:We are here, Birdie, whenever youare ready to open up and try to get a bit unstuck.

Exscn helped me with that. Someone here can help you, too.
I went past SW on to the DRD and that's where I was in June of '74 when a Flag mission showed up and handed me over to the GO to be "investigated. I had already taken a few loads of horseshit and just kept on truckin'. This time I was removed from post w/o the least apparent cause or R-factor plus my mate was on a "medical LOA" with no intention of returning so FUCK IT! We walked. And then...

Things a few months thereafter got very strange...

very...

very...

....strange...

Lot of questions in here JS, just to touch quickly on a couple of them...

I have gratitude to Hubbard.

And respect.

And yes there is love implicit in both but no, I don't venerate Hubbard. I never met the man and the "Ron" we knew was an artificially created persona. No big deal. I had Garrison Keillor in my taxi and we had a ball. But he is a whole different person in person; Different hair, glasses, voice, posture etc.

I wish you would check out my book "The Amendment; Revised Corrected and Refined" $6.00 on Amazon

All 4 now

More later

Luv ya

JustSheila

Crusader
I went past SW on to the DRD and that's where I was in June of '74 when a Flag mission showed up and handed me over to the GO to be "investigated. I had already taken a few loads of horseshit and just kept on truckin'. This time I was removed from post w/o the least apparent cause or R-factor plus my mate was on a "medical LOA" with no intention of returning so FUCK IT! We walked. And then...

Things a few months thereafter got very strange...

very...

very...

....strange...

Lot of questions in here JS, just to touch quickly on a couple of them...

I have gratitude to Hubbard.

And respect.

And yes there is love implicit in both but no, I don't venerate Hubbard. I never met the man and the "Ron" we knew was an artificially created persona. No big deal. I had Garrison Keillor in my taxi and we had a ball. But he is a whole different person in person; Different hair, glasses, voice, posture etc.

I wish you would check out my book "The Amendment; Revised Corrected and Refined" $6.00 on Amazon

All 4 now

More later

Luv ya
Hi CB,

Thanks for telling me a bit about your story. That must have been heartbreaking for you. Sometimes when people go through shocking changes like that, it can throw their entire lives into a spin and they don't know how to pick up the pieces. Or a person can go into a kind of shock and suffer from PTSD where they might become afraid and have troubles bonding with others and feel like some kind of ghost just going through the motions but not really living life. I'm sure you've seen it in some of your veteran friends so you know what I mean. Dianetics is one way to address it, sure, but it's a lot of pain to keep stirring up and there is the practical situation of putting a person's life back together in real time, too.

That kind of life change is a huge challenge. Sometimes the best way to address change is changing just one small thing at a time. Turtle steps. :)

What you said about Hubbard being a created persona shows a lot of insight on your part. Some people have wondered if his tall tales got away from him or if he set it up that way from the beginning. I think it's both. Groups have a way of distorting the perception of others, but Hubbard had a long history as a conartist, too.

But CB, I don't really want to discuss Hubbard with you. We both know we have different views about Scientology, but I agree with you about the created persona,though. I'm not trying to change your mind there. I just want to know how you're doing. I know you're getting older, we all are, and I had this thought while reading your other post that maybe you're ready to finally trust us a little bit and get this or whatever else needs to be resolved in whatever way it needs to be so you can move forward.

Take your time, CB. Write about it any way you wish. What's hanging you up? What's nagging you all this time and keeping you from going forward? If you're not ready to let go and talk about that, that's okay, too, but your last post was a good start. If I'm being too forward, I apologize, I don't mean to offend. Hugs.

Oh, PS, I'll keep your Amendment in mind, too, thanks for that. Glad to hear you got it up on Amazon and I hope you sell lots of copies. :)

Turtle steps, mate. ;)

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Did anyone else have the experience of noting that the vast majority of their fellow clams saying that they never were able to or inclined to finish reading Dianetics The Modern....?
I myself couldn't force myself to finish it till I had to while doing the Dianetics course.
Even so I would say that I mostly skimmed it rather than really immersing myself in it as I found it so dreary and uninspiring that i just couldn't force myself to actually read read it.
My theory is that it was designed to be a difficult read in order to put the reader in an aneten state whereby he/she would take Hubbard's hidden suggestions through that and the rest of the materials yet to come through the pipeline.

Last edited:

phenomanon

Canyon
Did anyone else have the experience of noting that the vast majority of their fellow clams saying that they never were able to or inclined to finish reading Dianetics The Modern....?
I myself couldn't force myself to finish it till I had to while doing the Dianetics course.
Even so I would say that I mostly skimmed it rather than really immersing myself in it as I found it so dreary and uninspiring that i just couldn't force myself to actually read read it.
My theory is that it was designed to be a difficult read in order to put the reader in an aneten state whereby he/she would take Hubbard's hidden suggestions through that and the rest of the materials yet to come through the pipeline.
He certainly did that in his lectures. During his Congress lectures in the 50's, people would doze off, get glassy-eyed. The taped lectures don't have as much effect as the "in person" Hubbard, although some students have to be herded along by a twin or a supervisor.

Iona

Patron
Greetings!

So far I have:

• I borrowed Dianetics from the library
  • I got the two hour long "How to do dianetics" dvd through torrents
  • Found a two hour lecture by David Mayo on how to use dianetics without an e-meter
You'd do better by reading some Philosophy. Start with Plato and Spinoza. Then do all the others.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
Yes. I re-read a lot of the Scientology books multiple times. Not Dianetics: I read it because I had to on the Dianetic auditor course, and then kept threatening to read it again, for years, and never did. I got the impression that others around me hadn't read the whole of DMSMH either.

NoIdea

Patron with Honors
God, I haven't even thought of the word "anaten" in 18 years. Just read it above and had a minor flashback. Thanks.

exbritscino

Patron with Honors
I actually never read Dianetics in my 4 1/2 years in the cult. I leafed through it and decided that it was too long, too complicated and too boring. In other words, complete garbage!

TomKat

Patron Meritorious
I actually never read Dianetics in my 4 1/2 years in the cult. I leafed through it and decided that it was too long, too complicated and too boring. In other words, complete garbage!
Let me guess. You spent 4-1/2 years on the Student Hat? :)

exbritscino

Patron with Honors
Let me guess. You spent 4-1/2 years on the Student Hat? :)
Lmao. I did do the Student Hat, but not for 4 1/2 years That was another load of boring bollocks, trying to decipher and select the relevant bits out of Hubbards nonsensical garbage..........