What's new

Scientology Question

AnonJC

Hi, I’m not actually an ex-Scientologist but I figured you people would be the best ones to get a knowledgeable answer from. I know that scientology hates psychiatry and psychiatric medication but I’m just curious whether this hatred also extends to psychologists as well?

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Hi, I’m not actually an ex-Scientologist but I figured you people would be the best ones to get a knowledgeable answer from. I know that scientology hates psychiatry and psychiatric medication but I’m just curious whether this hatred also extends to psychologists as well?

Well, as far as my understanding goes, scientology is opposed to any form of 'mental healing' both psychiatric and psychological since it (scientology) peddles the notion that it has a full understanding of how the mind works and how to repair any 'damage' to it and return the individual to his or her full potential. It's all bollocks really. (That's a scientific term of course.)

Edit: I just happen to have on hand a little snippet of one of L. Ron Hubbard's scientific explanations as to why humans have psychological problems. Just so that you know what we are dealing with here:

When a planet had been engulfed, the Helatrobans would attack it with "little orange-colored bombs that would talk" and the clouds themselves would talk: "And here you'd have a gray cloud going by and it'd be saying, 'Hark! Hark! Hark!' you see? 'Watch out! Look out! Who's there? Who's that?'"

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Generally speaking, Scientologists are taught to hate, fear and (ultimately) destroy their enemies, "the psychs". That would be psychiatrists, psychologists and mental health professionals.

It would even extend to people who WORK FOR mental health care professionals. (secretary, administrator, et al).

Scientologists hate "psychs" because "Dr" Hubbard hated psychs.

And he is the infallible savior of the universe with "total knowingness"; ergo the "ideal Scientologist" that everyone should strive to emulate.

Mental health professionals are evil, by the way, mostly because they are able to expose the avaricious hoax called Scientology. Anyone who is or can become a debunker/whistleblower is automatically evil and marked for destruction.

Have I mentioned recently that Scientologist are incredibly gullible and/or stupid? LOL

Last edited:

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron

IIRC, L. Ron Hubbard thought psychologists were somewhat less objectionable. While those who dispense electric shock, lobotomy or psychiatric drugs were truly evil, those who only practiced talk therapy were more to be mocked and scorned than hated.

Hubbard said that "Psychoanalysis has a somewhat better record [than psychiatry]. Someone has occasionally learned to live with his difficulties." (Of course that's a pretty pitiful achievement compared with making someone superhuman, as scn claims to do.)

But scientologists in general seldom make a distinction between psychiatrists and psychologists, and tend to lump all "psychs" together as villains.

HelluvaHoax!

IIRC, L. Ron Hubbard thought psychologists were somewhat less objectionable. While those who dispense electric shock, lobotomy or psychiatric drugs were truly evil, those who only practiced talk therapy were more to be mocked and scorned than hated.

Hubbard said that "Psychoanalysis has a somewhat better record [than psychiatry]. Someone has occasionally learned to live with his difficulties." (Of course that's a pretty pitiful achievement compared with making someone superhuman, as scn claims to do.)

But scientologists in general seldom make a distinction between psychiatrists and psychologists, and tend to lump all "psychs" together as villains.
True, true, true.

But, if a Scientologist "onlines" mentioned that they were seeing a psychologist or worked for a psychologist, they would be routed to Ethics the same way as if they were seeing a psychiatrist.

Psychiatrists or Psychologists---Scientology is an equal opportunity hater.

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Scientology even dislikes plain medical doctors, preferring Scientologists go to chiropractors.

HelluvaHoax!

Scientology even dislikes plain medical doctors, preferring Scientologists go to chiropractors.
REASON: Medical doctors are too complex. Ron states that "complexity is equal to degree of non-confront". On the other hand scientology chiropractors have gargantuan confront and can quickly and easily find your mest body's why.

DISCLAIMER: I do not want to evaluate for Scientologists, so I will let them speak for themselves:

SCIENTOLOGIST
Doctor, my lungs have been giving me huge problems,
for years I couldn't stop coughing and now I can hardly
breathe. "

SCN CHIROPRACTOR
We'll need to do a full workup, blood panel and
other diagnostic tests so that we can exactly
determine the source of the problem, so that
we can make it vanish.

SCIENTOLOGIST
Wow, that sounds complicated---and expensive!

SCN CHIROPRACTOR
Oh, no it's quite simple, actually I already ran
all the diagnostic tests.

SCIENTOLOGIST
Wuttttttt? When did you do that, today
is my first visit to your clinic?

SCN CHIROPRACTOR
I did it after you described all your symptoms.
The WHY is that you have spinal subluxations.

SCIENTOLOGIST
Wutttt? My spine?

SCN CHIROPRACTOR
Yes, the misalignment of your vertebrae are
suppressing the flow of theta to your lungs. I
can give you a series of adjustments over the
next months and your lungs will be as good as new!

SCIENTOLOGIST
Wowwwwww! That is amazing. That's it, there's
nothing else for me to do or be worried about?

SCN CHIROPRACTOR
Well you will need to do two things--first, pay for
a 12.5 hour intensive of adjustments today and
get the sliding scale discount.

SCIENTOLOGIST
Okay, I hope it's not too expensive. What was the other
thing I need to do.

SCN CHIROPRACTOR
You need to take the prescription I am going to give you
today.

SCIENTOLOGIST
Oh, drugs? I was hoping to avoid that.

SCN CHIROPRACTOR
No, not drugs, LOL. We base our presciptions on
real science and naturally growing herbs and such.
Before I write your prescription, I need to ask you
if you are a smoker and if so how much you smoke
a day.

SCIENTOLOGIST
Well, um...yes, I do smoke. About a pack a day.

SCN CHIROPRACTOR
Okay then, here's your prescription, I need you to
increase to 3 packs a day, like Dr Hubbard smoked.
He stated that lung cancer is caused by not smoking
enough cigarettes.

SCIENTOLOGIST
My cousin is an emergency room doctor and he told me
that my lung cancer is from smoking.

SCN CHIROPRACTOR
LOL. Well, obviously your cousin is a wog, so he doesn't know.

SCIENTOLOGIST
Actually my cousin is the one that got me into Scientology. He's
a grade IV!

SCN CHIROPRACTOR
LOL, well that's all fine, but he's only a Grade IV and I am an OT I,
so obviously he doesn't have all the advanced confidential information
and secret upper level technology.

SCIENTOLOGIST
Wow, that indicates! I feel all the charge is totally blowing,
i think my cough has already been handled, I didn't cough for the
past 10 minutes just being in your theta space!
Do you have any blank Success Story forms?

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist

If a Scientology person were getting Scientology auditing and also found to be getting talk therapy with a psychologist then I am sure that they would be sent to a Scientology ethics officer and assigned the ethics condition of "Doubt". They would then have to work through the condition of "Doubt" before they would receive anymore Scientology auditing.

They would not be allowed to do both at the same time.

pineapple

If a Scientology person were getting Scientology auditing and also found to be getting talk therapy with a psychologist then I am sure that they would be sent to a Scientology ethics officer and assigned the ethics condition of "Doubt". They would then have to work through the condition of "Doubt" before they would receive anymore Scientology auditing.

They would not be allowed to do both at the same time.
I think that would be true if they were on lines at all, not just for receiving auditing. If they were on a beginning course like the Comm Course the handling would probably be gentle, like, "Hey, we'd like you to stop seeing your shrink while you're on the course, you know? Otherwise it'll be hard to tell what's the effect of the course and what's coming from your therapy." Once you got beyond a beginning course, the handling would not be so gentle.

I didn't exactly get in trouble, but I raised eyebrows just reading some psych books while on staff. I read "I'm OK, You're OK" and "Games People Play," two psych books that were popular at the time. (I had a wog job at night where I had lots of time to read.) I didn't get sent to ethics, but a couple people sat me down and said, "Hey, what is this? Are you losing interest in scientology?" I said I was just curious and the stuff didn't seem so bad to me, no electric shock, no cutting up brains or anything. Just doing a little research.

That served as a "gateway drug," and I moved on to Freud's "Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis." This further aroused my curiosity, which I finally satisfied a few years after leaving scn by undergoing psychoanalysis for 2 1/2 years.

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader

There are not many Scientologists who know the difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist. You'll get headaches trying to explain the difference to them, too.

They're not dumb, they're just extremely indoctrinated.

HelluvaHoax!

There are not many Scientologists who know the difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist. You'll get headaches trying to explain the difference to them, too.They're not dumb, they're just extremely indoctrinated.
I am not sure that Scientologists in good standing would agree with that.

Let's ask one. . .
Originally Posted by William "Billy" Blowdown

I disagree with that false data, for multiple reasons:
  • It is entheta
  • It doesn't indicate to me
  • You did not include any LRH reference to back up your enturbulative black PR.
  • You are nattering, indicating that you (like psychiatrists/psychologists) have serious crimes.
  • My knowingness is that you were a plant, run in to Scientology by psychs, to later blow and make insane claims vs. our religion.
  • Both psychiatrists/psychologists, alike, are not missing the ultimate scientific discovery about the basic-basic incident that lies behind all human aberration & suffering (pre-natal engrams).
  • Both psychiatrists and psychologists, alike, are missing the ultimate scientific discovery about the basic-basic incident that lies behind all human aberration & suffering (OT III).
  • L. Ron Hubbard scientifically proved that "The Wall of Fire" really happened 75 million years ago and that he was the only person to learn that secret which was boobytrapped to kill anyone who found out. Quite obviously, after his miraculous discovery Ron wrote the bulletins for Section III OT, so that proves he was the first being in the universe to safely pass through the Wall of Fire without dying[sup]1[/sup].

ML,

Billy Blowdown
OT VIII, Ideal Scientologist

My Motto: "Always winning! Always F/Ning! Always Blowing down!"

[sup]1[/sup] Abundant proof exists that LRH did not die after discovering OT III, including but not limited to photos of him in disguise--hiding in the back of a constantly-moving Bluebird motorhome---while paranoid MEST beings tried to hunt him down (on this planet). Psychotic critics of Dr. Hubbard also falsely claimed that he did die after discovering OT III, but public records clearly evidence that he his self-determined choice to travel to another planet in 1986 was no more "dying" than if any normal person planned a vacation and traveled to another country. Contrary to the absurd notion that Dr. Hubbard "died" is the fact that to this very day millions of Scientologists enjoy a lively two-way-com in the theta universe with Ron who always answers their messages with prompt and uptone telepathic responses.

Gib

Crusader

to answer your question, yes it does, the hatred is not just what you mentioned, but it's not actually a hatred, good old Ron, LRH, tried to logically explain that these people had it all wrong, and that by doing dianetics, and then later scientologoy, why you would be cured of your personal problems as well as medical problems.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
IIRC, LRH maintained that psychology originated with Wilhelm Wundt, who was a Marxist and as such claimed that all we were were meat bodies and we had no spiritual component. So Scientology, which does claim that we have (or are) a spiritual component, is inevitably superior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Wundt

(I'm obviously not saying I agree with that, I'm just stating the Scn position as I recall it.)

pineapple

IIRC, LRH maintained that psychology originated with Wilhelm Wundt, who was a Marxist and as such claimed that all we were were meat bodies and we had no spiritual component. So Scientology, which does claim that we have (or are) a spiritual component, is inevitably superior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Wundt

(I'm obviously not saying I agree with that, I'm just stating the Scn position as I recall it.)
I think the statement that Wundt was a Marxist is an LRH invention. Hubbard liked to conflate psychs and communism.*

I always figured the reason LRH brought up Wundt all the time was because nobody knew anything about Wundt, so he could say anything he wanted about him without fear of contradiction. In those days of course you couldn't simply google it.

Freud, on the other hand, even an average person might know a little about, so Hubbard was kinder to him. He made a few remarks in the early books that Freud had some good points, though of course dn/scn were vastly superior.

* Edit: The most outstanding example of Hubbard conflating psychs and communism is the "Brainwashing Manual," supposedly written by Beria, head of the Soviet secret police under Stalin, but actually (and pretty obviously) written by Hubbard.

Last edited: