What's new

Tale From Long Ago

I am a golden boy who fell into the jaws of scientology over sixty years ago, long before other pyscho-religious movements gouged on mental health in urban surroundings. People generally lived without alternatives other than what was traditionally available.

No matter what day or age we live in, we can end up in places we never wanted to be. As a teenager I was trapped inside life’s potty while showers of whatever rained from above. Being from a dysfunctional family I didn’t finish my education. I left school at fourteen to work in a factory and went to night school to get an apprenticeship to boiler making.

I was never cut out for heavy industry. It was an emotional thing; I wanted to reach out to my father who worked in the trade. I failed to make the connection and struggled with the work. I saved my small wages for my family to escape my abusive father while serving an apprenticeship. I never cared for working with the emotionless weight of industrial steel but kept at it for I was told I needed trade skills for my future.

I had turned eighteen when my mom showed me an ad for a communication course in the local newspaper. I said ‘nah’ but wore a polka dot bow tie when I stepped into the office next day. I don’t know why because I didn’t like bow ties. I suppose I was trying to be a normal person in a crazy world or perhaps the other way around.

The free communication course promised more than paddling through the backwaters of society. I was like an extra in a B grade movie. Would this place turn on my light as a star and I get the leading role at last? Religious tell of changes made by divine means. I tried religion but it didn’t work. I had nothing to have faith in or for, god help me.

The weekly course told me I would soon be where everything happens for the better. I joined the co-audit group afterwards for I couldn’t afford to go private. We sat in a row of wooden chairs facing each other and asked questions like, “Who would you like to be?” alternated with “Who would you rather not be?”

That soon stopped because they said people were running in valence. I’m still not sure what that means. The Org used it for stopping processes and then going onto others to reputedly do the same things but with promises of better results at greater cost. That made the beginnings of doubt about what was happening and where I went with it.

I made some progress as I became more outgoing but not more successful. I got clearer in thinking but not any smarter. I was the youngest on the course and most in need. Mixing with more mature personality problems made some changes. I had suffered suppression of communication when younger and experienced nervous difficulties when trying hold a conversation in the present moment.

I thought to fight was wrong. We talk over our troubles to get better. I was no fighter or talker by a country mile. Feelings of nonviolence in me had been discouraged. My father had left home to defeat the beast of war and came back with bad memories and worse habits. He helped win the peace, but not within himself.

A tsunami of confusion thundered across the world as aftershock to world war. Even after over a decade of peace old limits became thrown aside. Young people wore happy days clothes at the end of the rock and rolling fifties as greater changes prepared to take place. We lived in world of change without knowing how to change ourselves. Radical ideas and situations arose to overwhelm our minds. False promises like scientology grew.

I supported scientology views before the wisdom of hindsight. Scientology taught of life in a general way, but it was me who made the changes to save myself. Going to a center and even having treatment by them doesn't make you a scientologist any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Welcome Donald.
I'm a boilermaker too. Apprenticed 74-77.

Still in the trade, with several diversions as well.

Good post to read.

Yeah I still remember the war vets at work and in the returned servicemen's clubs. My Dad was president in one of them for a spell.

By god, so many of them were a bad tempered lot. What war does, I guess.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
I always thought a boilermaker made boilers, surely a very limited occupation in a post-steam-driven world. I just looked it up.

:duh:

Paul
Lol.
It was the original definition of the trade, when steam power was prolific.
It still applies today , but it is now more specialized work and only a handful of companies do it.

I used to do a small amount of boiler work when I was an apprentice, along with some blacksmithing and furnace work.

Nowadays it mainly refers to metal fabrication over 3mm (1/8") thick.
Less than 3mm thick is sheet metal work.

Most common applications these days are in mining and construction/structural steel work.

At the moment, I service and repair builder's hoists for high rise constructions.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I am a golden boy who fell into the jaws of scientology over sixty years ago, long before other pyscho-religious movements gouged on mental health in urban surroundings. People generally lived without alternatives other than what was traditionally available.

No matter what day or age we live in, we can end up in places we never wanted to be. As a teenager I was trapped inside life’s potty while showers of whatever rained from above. Being from a dysfunctional family I didn’t finish my education. I left school at fourteen to work in a factory and went to night school to get an apprenticeship to boiler making.

I was never cut out for heavy industry. It was an emotional thing; I wanted to reach out to my father who worked in the trade. I failed to make the connection and struggled with the work. I saved my small wages for my family to escape my abusive father while serving an apprenticeship. I never cared for working with the emotionless weight of industrial steel but kept at it for I was told I needed trade skills for my future.

I had turned eighteen when my mom showed me an ad for a communication course in the local newspaper. I said ‘nah’ but wore a polka dot bow tie when I stepped into the office next day. I don’t know why because I didn’t like bow ties. I suppose I was trying to be a normal person in a crazy world or perhaps the other way around.

The free communication course promised more than paddling through the backwaters of society. I was like an extra in a B grade movie. Would this place turn on my light as a star and I get the leading role at last? Religious tell of changes made by divine means. I tried religion but it didn’t work. I had nothing to have faith in or for, god help me.

The weekly course told me I would soon be where everything happens for the better. I joined the co-audit group afterwards for I couldn’t afford to go private. We sat in a row of wooden chairs facing each other and asked questions like, “Who would you like to be?” alternated with “Who would you rather not be?”

That soon stopped because they said people were running in valence. I’m still not sure what that means. The Org used it for stopping processes and then going onto others to reputedly do the same things but with promises of better results at greater cost. That made the beginnings of doubt about what was happening and where I went with it.

I made some progress as I became more outgoing but not more successful. I got clearer in thinking but not any smarter. I was the youngest on the course and most in need. Mixing with more mature personality problems made some changes. I had suffered suppression of communication when younger and experienced nervous difficulties when trying hold a conversation in the present moment.

I thought to fight was wrong. We talk over our troubles to get better. I was no fighter or talker by a country mile. Feelings of nonviolence in me had been discouraged. My father had left home to defeat the beast of war and came back with bad memories and worse habits. He helped win the peace, but not within himself.

A tsunami of confusion thundered across the world as aftershock to world war. Even after over a decade of peace old limits became thrown aside. Young people wore happy days clothes at the end of the rock and rolling fifties as greater changes prepared to take place. We lived in world of change without knowing how to change ourselves. Radical ideas and situations arose to overwhelm our minds. False promises like scientology grew.

I supported scientology views before the wisdom of hindsight. Scientology taught of life in a general way, but it was me who made the changes to save myself. Going to a center and even having treatment by them doesn't make you a scientologist any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Sixty years ago is 1959. Scientology had the comm course back then?

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
I always thought a boilermaker made boilers, surely a very limited occupation in a post-steam-driven world. I just looked it up.

:duh:

Paul
When I drank, I used to drink my boilermakers two fisted.

Oh Lordy, I saw the light...

07a3b6f03dc5013791a7005056a9545d

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?

You know the tech works 100% so blame the auditor or pc.

Use a mushy excuse such as the pc was 'in valence' ('out of valence' would work too).

Stir the mush enough and it will sound plausible.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Oh wow, TRs in 1959?

I never thought they had eyeball tech back in the day. The world has changed just a little bit since then. . .

179573-1959-cadillac-coupe-deville-std.jpg

Once a Scientologist told me that the Commodore invented music back at the beginning of the time track, quadrillions of years ago.

I assume it must be obvious to all that the wholetrack Dr. Hubbard surely invented the TR tech of looking at another person when you are talking to them.

Before that, everyone was confused and wandering around in the MEST universe mumbling: "Are you talking to me?"

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. How do you make a boilermaker? A bottle of beer, a bottle of rum, mix them in lethal proportions, add a bit more… then drink it!

About the tech, a lot of things were around before they were supposed to be. I used to sneak a look at the documents lying around and wondered what ring of fire meant. I thought it may have meant the beginning of the universe, a hole in space with an expanding and contracting energy rim, that life force had to cross, but that was way too clever. Volcanoes exploding on earth. How pathetic a story is that given the scope of the universe!

Can you believe that Hubbard lied about such things? That he kept constantly repackaging old ideas from his past because he couldn’t let go? It was a symptom of his condition. Something like the billionaire Howard Hughes bottling his own piss because he thought his body fluid was too precious to be lost.

Remembering helped me to clear up a few things. I hope my telling can help others as well. I hope others can help me. In Scn things happen that push the boundaries. I don’t want to disturb newbies, but you had better believe strange things happen, even if for a while. I need to get in touch with those who understand and talk to me about the stages of being clear and the physic effects it has upon the self. What category does that come under?

When starting I feared being conned and put further out of step with society, Even a hint of living before sent the Scn script into danger territory. The man out front said, “How were the pyramids built?” I had mental flashes of aliens cutting and piling up blocks with laser guns, yet laser technology hadn’t yet been invented. Maybe I thought of a Buck Roger’s sonic ray gun. Or Brick Bradford or Flash Gordon with his ruthless nemesis, Ming the Merciless. (I liked Ming but get him mixed up with Xenu.)

I wasn’t hypnotized by scientology. (Who gave that suggestion?) I went in hope of getting modern answers. You have no idea of how big that was at the time. The talk of other existences wasn’t real to me. That led into trouble, not because of scientology, but because the religions of over a billion others on earth favored a more understanding look. I knew nobody to tell me about how they benefit from their different outlooks.

LRH said he had been influenced by Eastern ideas. I literally took his word for it. My thoughts were about ripping aside the veil of oriental mystery to take the forbidden look inside their other world. I devoured pulp fiction about the hero having high adventures in exotic places. I can feel comfortable as a stranger in a strange country and people around me talking in an unknown tongue. How lonely can the traveler be when at home!

The comm exercises helped yet could have been better thought out. The point is people I met there talked to me without criticizing my communication difficulties like most did. I had a 30% to 40% jump in intelligence. I don’t remember how much, wearing labels has never been of interest to me. All I wanted was to be more comfortable with others and myself.

Any new-found talents led in opposite directions to real life. Like most have found Scn is a flawed way of getting in contact with your potential. There are some advantages to licking a dripping tap if dying of thirst, but you need a regular flow to be refreshed and to get on with life as it happens around you.

At that time Scn made no claims to be a religion except for running jokes made by Ron in his weekly tapes. One day I saw a female friend screaming at a member of the public to sell a course. I realized then I had become a prisoner of flawed belief. I needed the deeper values of honesty and decency the founder had missed.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
I need to get in touch with those who understand and talk to me about the stages of being clear and the physic effects it has upon the self. What category does that come under?
You can ask whatever you like right here on this thread ... you'll probably get various and possibly contradictory responses (we all have our individual opinions) but that's part of the fun of chatting about these things openly (something you know you could never have done in the cult).

:)

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
At that time Scn made no claims to be a religion except for running jokes made by Ron in his weekly tapes. One day I saw a female friend screaming at a member of the public to sell a course. I realized then I had become a prisoner of flawed belief. I needed the deeper values of honesty and decency the founder had missed.

You mean this flounder?

You mean this flounder?
"I have a very bad masturbatory history. I was taught when I was 11 and, despite guilt, fear of insanity, etc. etc. I persisted."
--L. Ron Hubbard, flounder of the 'Church' Of Scientology

Well, that seems to prove he had a firm grasp on things, but on a lower level. Perhaps we need more sacred vaseline, that is as if his erection, I mean selection, of words were not slippery enough.