What's new

Scientology and Children: The PR Spin

RSS Feed

RSS Feeder Bot
There is a new post up at the Mike Rinder's Blog

Scientology and Children: The PR Spin

After the last post Child Sexual Abuse in Scientology it is ironic that the next day I came across this piece of PR spin. This is the other side of the scientology equation. On one hand, they groom people to be victims of sex abuse and seek to cover it up when it happens. On […]

Continue reading...

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
They don't just cover up sex abuse. ANY crime by a Scientologist may ONLY be addressed by internal "justice" procedures. Any Scientologist who reports another to police without authorization from OSA (officially IJC, but effectively OSA decides) is subject to Declare.

If the perpetrator is deemed "upstat" (someone valuable to them), then he gets off.

ADDING: If he is not upstat enough to get off, but his arrest would be "bad PR" for Scientology, he is likely to be quietly "golden rodded" and told to never show up at an org again. I saw this happen to an org staff member who molested the 9 year old daughter of another staff member -- he was just quietly let go.

Last edited:

Exesso

Bitter Apostate
Additionally, if one did try following all the policy to resolve a crime committed by another Scientologist (public or staff--doesn't matter) and turned to the "justice" system of their org, they are going to be met with anything from bored indifference, to astonishing ineptitude, to outright criminal cover-up (depending on if there was potential for bad PR, of course). No matter the charges, whichever party has more pull in the org is going to come out on top. Every "justice" action I was ever part of in the SO (and there were MANY--both giving and receiving) was already decided before the commitee ever met.
Without fail, the person who was more in favor at the time was the one who would come out on top of the action. On the flip side, once someone falls from grace, there was no coming back. Sure they could "suffer up through the conditions" and be nominally accepted back in, but they are forever branded and suddenly they were the WHO behind every down stat or PR flap. It's hard to describe, but you could always tell when someone was protected vs. vulnerable and it had nothing to do with their personal stats.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Additionally, if one did try following all the policy to resolve a crime committed by another Scientologist (public or staff--doesn't matter) and turned to the "justice" system of their org, they are going to be met with anything from bored indifference, to astonishing ineptitude, to outright criminal cover-up (depending on if there was potential for bad PR, of course). No matter the charges, whichever party has more pull in the org is going to come out on top. Every "justice" action I was ever part of in the SO (and there were MANY--both giving and receiving) was already decided before the commitee ever met.
Without fail, the person who was more in favor at the time was the one who would come out on top of the action. On the flip side, once someone falls from grace, there was no coming back. Sure they could "suffer up through the conditions" and be nominally accepted back in, but they are forever branded and suddenly they were the WHO behind every down stat or PR flap. It's hard to describe, but you could always tell when someone was protected vs. vulnerable and it had nothing to do with their personal stats.
Note, that this only applies to offenses committed by a Scientologist against another Scientologist. Any offense which actually harms the Org, or DM, you can expect the full force of the law to come down on the perp, along with all sorts of dirty tricks by Private Investigators.

Exesso

Bitter Apostate
Note, that this only applies to offenses committed by a Scientologist against another Scientologist. Any offense which actually harms the Org, or DM, you can expect the full force of the law to come down on the perp, along with all sorts of dirty tricks by Private Investigators.
So true...

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I love this quote from Mike Rinder in the above article: "Scientology is founded by a sociopath, run today by a sociopath and thus displays the characteristics of a sociopath".

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
Quoting Mike from this post:

This is the other side of the scientology equation. On one hand, they groom people to be victims of sex abuse and seek to cover it up when it happens. On the other, they seek to create a good image of themselves so stories of abuse are rejected on the basis of “It couldn’t be true — look how they LOVE children and support and protect them.” It is an aircover operation done on the basis of what is good for scientology.

Gee Mike, its a bit odd hearing it from you of all people (an ED during my whole life there). Now that you are out, you can safely throw a "they" at the whole situation. I'm curious if you could perhaps tell us about spcefic child abuse cases that "you" handled during your time in OAS as ED.

Tell us how you bravely faced such difficult issues and cooperated with the police to make sure justice was being served. :whoop:

I guess it always happens on "somebody else's watch", eh? :nooo: