What's new

The Current State of Scientology

That may be so, but I really doubt there is much coherence. Almost all ex-Scientologists hate the Church of Scientology. That's common. Probably most ex-Scientologists have no use for Hubbard's "tech". But that's not much for a "movement".

Let me explain. There is little agreement on how important being anti-Scientology is. Most don't really care and have relegated Scientology to the past -- best forgotten.

But as for "something better", few (I believe) have any interest in "improving" Scientology. For almost all, it's simply not worth it. If there were any noticeable results, that might be different, but with no reliable or significant results, it's a dead-end. A proven dead-end.

I don't see enough agreement to call it a "movement".
Okay, I see your point; I think that your view might be a little dark though. History is full of things that gathered some energy at a certain time, then changed into something very much different; just look at art history.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Like it or not Stratsie, dianetics is here to stay...

And if you go and take an honest look at atheist, materialist, behaviourist psychiatry with it's pre frontal lobotomy, trans orbital leucotomy, thorazine, stellarzine, haldol electroshock horrors you should be glad it is here to stay
Oh my. If you go out onto the street and ask the nearest millennial what dianetics is I'm pretty sure he'll tell you he's never heard of it. Of course the things you have listed are awful, you don't need dianetics to tell you that, but Hubbard attacked psychiatry because he saw it as a competitor and not because he was outraged by what they did, that was just a pose.

You tell me I should be glad dianetics is here to stay and I tell you you're living in a fantasy world.

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
I don't think so.

What I mean is there is no good foundation (in Scientology) from which to build "something better". But I'd posit that there already is something better. Undoubtedly a lot of something betters. A lot of people have been creating something betters for hundreds of years -- and the progress hasn't stopped.

Scientology was a dead end because its foundation was false.
Good post, I agree.

I'd only add that there are quite a bit of "something betters" built on false foundations, that nevertheless continue to thrive. Big and small examples: Christianity, Islam, Mindfulness meditation, Bikram yoga... :p

Oh my. If you go out onto the street and ask the nearest millennial what dianetics is I'm pretty sure he'll tell you he's never heard of it. Of course the things you have listed are awful, you don't need dianetics to tell you that, but Hubbard attacked psychiatry because he saw it as a competitor and not because he was outraged by what they did, that was just a pose.

You tell me I should be glad dianetics is here to stay and I tell you you're living in a fantasy world.
Didn't Hubbard attack psychiatry because when he sent some of his material to a mental health association they didn't see it as being worthwhile? It seems as if you ask the nearest millennial what pretty much anything is, he will give you a blank stare.

strativarius

Didn't Hubbard attack psychiatry because when he sent some of his material to a mental health association they didn't see it as being worthwhile? It seems as if you ask the nearest millennial what pretty much anything is, he will give you a blank stare.
Yes, I do seem to remember something about him trying to sell them (I don't mean literally) the concept of engrams, although I could be wrong. Either way it's my belief his efforts weren't directed at improving the mental health of the human race but simply trying in one way or another to enrich himself. There's nothing wrong with trying to enrich oneself btw, it just depends on how one goes about it.

He had a degree you know - from Sequoia University, a highly esteemed and reputable establishment.

Last edited:

strativarius

Hubbard was a limp dick street philosopher-hustler.

$cientology reflects that fact.
I'd choose your words very carefully if I were you screamer, that is unless you want to find yourself reported to the mods for bigotry, since there are some here who hold Hubbard and his brainchild scientology in high regard, and for good reason, his credentials are unassailable; he has a degree from Sequoia University and he has been to Venus and visited the Van Allen Belt. These are, as we all know, activities which are perfectly normal for someone working in the respected field of mental healing. Furthermore, his science of the mind has stood up to the most intense scrutiny and has been found to be 100% workable under all circumstances.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that he never had a second wife.

Last edited:

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
I consider it a waste of time to discuss how co$ can be reformed. It is set in stone by its founder. Maybe some offshoot like the Dror people can start their own sect, but the co$ isn't going to reform. The SO isn't going away, the exploitation of staff and public isn't going to stop - it can't stop, if it did it would all come crashing down in a smoldering heap of ideal marble fragments.

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
I'd choose your words very carefully if I were you screamer, there are some here who hold Hubbard and his brainchild scientology in high regard. His credentials are unassailable; he has a degree from Sequoia University and he has claimed to have visited Venus and the Van Allen Belt. These are, as we all know, activities which are perfectly normal for someone working in the field of mental healing. Furthermore, his work has stood up to the most intense scrutiny and has been found to be 100% workable under all circumstances.

Furthermore, his work has stood up to the most intense scrutiny and has been found to be 100% workable under all circumstances when standardly applied.

^ FTFY

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Furthermore, his work has stood up to the most intense scrutiny and has been found to be 100% workable under all circumstances when standardly applied.

^ FTFY
lol, unfortunately "standard" application ceased 60 or so years back (way before "standard" was even talked about)

Dotey OT

Cyclops Duck of the North - BEWARE
I see someone from the local org on a regular basis, and they said that the GI has been crashed for about two months. Prior to this there was a lot of regging staff, but it sounds as though that hasn't been happening. They've put all the courserooms together in one location because of a lack of supervisors, and lack of students. Big empty buildings. Expensive big empty buildings.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron

Actually Strats dianetics has been shown to have surprisingly high name recognition, close to or over eighty percent

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
I see someone from the local org on a regular basis, and they said that the GI has been crashed for about two months. Prior to this there was a lot of regging staff, but it sounds as though that hasn't been happening. They've put all the courserooms together in one location because of a lack of supervisors, and lack of students. Big empty buildings. Expensive big empty buildings.
CoS has been in crisis for at least ten years.

Maybe it is at last coming to a point where the IAS will no longer accept dave's i9ncompetence