What's new

Commodore's Messenger tells all

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
He just had a big OT win earlier this month, helping the St Louis Blues beat Boston to win the Stanley Cup. :cool:

Plus he assisted the San Francisco 49'er's football team last season, helping them to a 4-12 record.
Like I said on this board the day before game seven I would either exult or eat crow the next day.

Would you pass the salt please?

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
@Karakorum

Thank you for your reply.
I mostly agree with you on the points you mentionned, but again why many feel such in danger and need approval and validation???
It is all about giving space for expressing an opinion and the willingness to engage in discussion, regardles if one shares or approves of the opinion.

In a sensible debate, the purpose is to engage and through argumentation question the opposing viewpoint. Both sides exchange opinions and hopefully learn something new.

In a groupthink scenario, the purpose is to silence the opposing viewpoint or "disconnect" from it.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Lotus - you are correct - LRH did request the GO to look into him adopting children around the age of 11 or so from orphanages so he wouldn't have to deal with the parents in training the kids. I had just turned 12 when I started working as a messenger for LRH - the perfect age to mold the mind.

As for the statement about Mary Blackford, yes Mary worked on the editing of Book Two and is also redoing the editing of Book One. I had no idea she was part of the whatever that organization is called - AO of the Great Plains - never heard of it before.

I am going to Reno this weekend, to do a slide show of both my books at the independent Scn convention - maybe I will find out more about it while there. By the way, by me going to the convention, please don't let anyone misinterpret this to mean that I am an Indie - I am NOT. I am strictly promoting my books and the truth of my upbringing and that of other young messengers on the ship and later in the US.

I am working on book three now - but it is far from ready for release - only once it is released will I work on getting book two into audio.

Janis
Janis, you are a gold standard for getting your facts and recollections correct. I admire you for it immensely.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Awww...

Hey thanx for punching in Mick. Any time you ache for some genteel comeraderie there are many here with long fond memories

You must be just about my age (69) so if life is not yet long it's been sometime since it was short...

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
Good to hear from the Zen Sledgehammer!

How ya been Mick?
Birdie, I hope you don't mind me asking this on a public message board, but it's a question that I've been wanting to ask you for a long time. You seem like a well-read, intelligent person (though I sometimes think that what you write is a bit exaggerated, and occasionally even non sequitur). Also, it sounds like you were very deep in the CoS, and connected with some of the early pioneers. But you mentioned that you were homeless in a thread some time ago, and participating on this board from a public library.

So my question is, how did you arrive at homelessness from what sounds to me like a well-educated, well-read background?

I hope this question isn't too impolite, and it is not my intention to rub salt in any wounds or anything like that. I'm just curious. Perhaps you have already answered this question elsewhere, or perhaps you don't WANT to answer it. If so, that's fine. But I'd be interested in hearing your story in relation to my above question, if it's not too much of an imposition.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Why thank you very much for your kind inquiry...

Why am I in such lowly material circumstances?

Well...

I'd have to say that the true bottom line is that I'm fukkin' asshole.

I have taken some godawful nasty shots and sustained some enduring damage from them but I managed to get at least enough assistance to function but my family has always made camp with the Stoics.

But I have twice been incarcerated w/o warrant and subjected to severe malpractice in extremis by the psychs. the second time in Philly in 1980 the mother of our sons called it quits on me by telephone two days after the birth of our third son while she was arranging a tryst with her old boyfriend whom she then married. Not long thereafter my line of communication to my sons was severed. I recovered fairly well and the 80's were a wonderful decade which I would have enjoyed immensely were I not tormented by the separation from my sons. Even in the best of times waves of debilitating sorrow would wash over me, virtually incapacitating me for a week or two. My mother had sided with my ex and to her death believed I belonged in a mental hospital.

Then in early 1995 I learned my first bon son, Ian, so strong, so bright, so courageous, had been dead for four years. I was doubly crushed, not just the agony of his loss but to be denied the basic human dignity of being informed. I was something of a drunk for five years...

I got tears pouring down my cheeks Wilbur, I'll continue later...

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

Well...

I have taken some godawful nasty shots and sustained some enduring damage from them but I managed to get at least enough assistance to function but my family has always made camp with the Stoics.

But I have twice been incarcerated w/o warrant and subjected to severe malpractice in extremis by the psychs. the second time in Philly in 1980 the mother of our sons called it quits on me by telephone two days after the birth of our third son while she was arranging a tryst with her old boyfriend whom she then married. Not long thereafter my line of communication to my sons was severed. I recovered fairly well and the 80's were a wonderful decade which I would have enjoyed immensely were I not tormented by the separation from my sons. Even in the best of times waves of debilitating sorrow would wash over me, virtually incapacitating me for a week or two. My mother had sided with my ex and to her death believed I belonged in a mental hospital.

Then in early 1995 I learned my first bon son, Ian, so strong, so bright, so courageous, had been dead for four years. I was doubly crushed, not just the agony of his loss but to be denied the basic human dignity of being informed. I was something of a drunk for five years...

You know what William, I know Wilbur asked the question and you simply answered it, but I am sure that there are people on this board who have been through far far worse and yet we haven't heard a peep out of them. You are constantly reminding us of what a lousy hand you've been dealt and about how you've been mistreated by this or that person or persons, but in my opinion you'd probably be doing a whole lot better if you stopped feeling so bloody sorry for yourself, it's pathetic. Sorry to be so blunt, but there it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gib

Gib

Crusader
You know what William, I know Wilbur asked the question and you simply answered it, but I am sure that there are people on this board who have been through far far worse and yet we haven't heard a peep out of them, while you are constantly reminding us of what a lousy hand you've been dealt and about how you've been mistreated by this or that person or persons. I think you'd probably be doing a whole lot better if you stopped feeling so bloody sorry for yourself, it's pathetic. Sorry to be so blunt, but there it is.
he ought to have somebody run "Infinite Space" process on himself. That'll do the trick.

Birdy's sad story sounds like hubbard's sad story of being blinded and wounded. LOL

such rhetoric of pathos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathos

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Well . Hmm. Not sure I am on board with the rush to pass judgement on a poster here. I do not know CP - well at least I am assuming not, maybe we met. And I have no idea whether what he posted about himself is a pile of something or of nothing. All I do know is that I would not be so swift to make decisions about it. Scientology has hurt a lot of people in various ways and seeing someone who repeats a long litany of bad things that have come to pass on them in their lives reminds me that once someone is broken or damaged they might have a very hard time seeing things from a different perspective.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Thank goodness only very few on this board feel the need to be so calculatingly mean-spirited.

I wish TAJ would come back, he does know Birdie, he knows him well ... he knows the heart and substance of the man (though that doesn't usually need to be a requirement for basic decency).

Edit: I think I'd better take a break from this place ... before I say something I may regret.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
How about we remain on source and set a BofI and then a com ev on the dead horse???
After all the end justifies the means!

If his mental doesn't surrender To our "Thruth"
We can handle him till he breaks!
So we will save his soul.

( it may happens soon since it's obvious he is trying to sort out a way to make it easier on the board...)

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
You know what William, I know Wilbur asked the question and you simply answered it, but I am sure that there are people on this board who have been through far far worse and yet we haven't heard a peep out of them. You are constantly reminding us of what a lousy hand you've been dealt and about how you've been mistreated by this or that person or persons, but in my opinion you'd probably be doing a whole lot better if you stopped feeling so bloody sorry for yourself, it's pathetic. Sorry to be so blunt, but there it is.
If Birdy was 100% against Hubbard and Scn I don't think his own personal stories would be eliciting such responses. I may not agree with Birdy but I certainly don't want to add to his misery.

Gib

Crusader
Well . Hmm. Not sure I am on board with the rush to pass judgement on a poster here. I do not know CP - well at least I am assuming not, maybe we met. And I have no idea whether what he posted about himself is a pile of something or of nothing. All I do know is that I would not be so swift to make decisions about it. Scientology has hurt a lot of people in various ways and seeing someone who repeats a long litany of bad things that have come to pass on them in their lives reminds me that once someone is broken or damaged they might have a very hard time seeing things from a different perspective.
I'm not passing judgement on CP, but I have read a lot of his posts, I do pass judgement on what he writes, which is he believes there is value in hubbard's words of dianetics and scientology.

His words on this message board are filled with rhetoric to persuade just like hubbard persuaded us. So yah, I guess I do pass judgement. He's posting endlessly bullshit.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
Thanks for

Well...

Thanks for replying CP. I didn't realise that you had replied to me until just now (because you didn't post it as a reply to my original message, so I didn't get a notification). I hope my question didn't dredge up too many bad memories. But anyway, putting your thoughts down in written form will hopefully be cathartic, rather than restimulative.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
If Birdy was 100% against Hubbard and Scn I don't think his own personal stories would be eliciting such responses. I may not agree with Birdy but I certainly don't want to add to his misery.

I agree. Without wishing to sound patronising to Birdie, in his current life situation, I don't think his defence of Scientology and Dianetics, placed in context, are a major flaw. If his faith in the tech makes his life more meaningful, and gives him hope for his next life, I don't think now is the time to criticise that too harshly. I don't think CP needs or wants sympathy, but perhaps a little EMPATHY might be worth a lot to him in his current situation.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
Thank goodness only very few on this board feel the need to be so calculatingly mean-spirited.

I wish TAJ would come back, he does know Birdie, he knows him well ... he knows the heart and substance of the man (though that doesn't usually need to be a requirement for basic decency).

Edit: I think I'd better take a break from this place ... before I say something I may regret.

When I was in Scientology, I witnessed a lot of people who were mean-spirited towards those who were not doing so well. Without going into details, there was one time when I wasn't doing so well, just after I was basically offlines (but stilI in good standing with the church). I bumped into another member (also more or less offlines, but still talking like a Scientologist). The one sentence I clearly remember him uttering during our conversation was (in a sanctimonious tone) "Oh, you didn't make it go right, then". In fact, at the time, I was working on some projects to turn my life around (which later DID turn my life around), but I didn't feel that the details of my life were any of his business, so I didn't get into it with him. I didn't feel the need to justify my current life situation to him. But the lesson that I took away from that encounter was how readily people (especially Scientologists) were willing to judge you and place you into a mental category that summarised the whole of your existence in their mind. I remember thinking how moronic the guy seemed to me, in light of that.

It's easy to dismiss people who are in a mess. But I tend to remind myself that I too have been in a mess in the past, and that there will come a day when I am on my death-bed. When that day comes, how successful I have been in my life, how rich I am, how important I am to others, will all be reduced to the fact that the person that those around me know me as will be gone.

It's remarkable to me that someone in Birdie's situation can still find sufficient energy and good cheer to contribute to this board in the way he does. Sure, some of what he says ruffles feathers a bit, but he ain't no Marty Rathbun or David Miscavige.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
I agree. Without wishing to sound patronising to Birdie, in his current life situation, I don't think his defence of Scientology and Dianetics, placed in context, are a major flaw. If his faith in the tech makes his life more meaningful, and gives him hope for his next life, I don't think now is the time to criticise that too harshly. I don't think CP needs or wants sympathy, but perhaps a little EMPATHY might be worth a lot to him in his current situation.

Yep. Who cares what he (or anyone else) still thinks of scientology? He's not trying to recruit here, just to chat to other exes (and he is an ex).

I don't want to patronise anyone and discussion and argument is healthy but that's not what I've been seeing recently around here ... blatant ad hom is and if we are not careful it'll kill the board.