What's new

COSMOD Staff from 1973-85

Hello,

Anyone here work at one of the COSMOD missions--Davis, Sac, Portland or SF?

I was staff during the "boom" and "bust" years, was in SF when Martin Samuels got busted by the RTF.

Anyone here go through The September Game of 74?

:

_brian

WogRevert
Hello,

I was staff during the "boom" and "bust" years, was in SF when Martin Samuels got busted by the RTF.

:

Big welcome to esmb to you excosmodgrrl.

Were you COSMOD Davis or Sac?

Would really like to hear a story and maybe see if we crossed paths in some way.

I have started posting my story starting in Davis then Sac org, '76-90 so was around a lot of staff and public.

Though there were plenty of Brian's around, any ring a bell? PM is ok, no last name for the time being, please.

Brian

Wisened One

Crusader
:welcome: to EMSB exco! :)

We'd love to hear more to your story! And hope others that you may have known post soon! :yes:

Michelle

thanks for the welcome.

i joined the davis mission in davis 73. worked there for several years, then sac, then portland, and when sf opened they sent me there to start that mission. i was only in sacramento for a summer during 74, then was shipped to portland in 76, back to sac for a summer in 78, then sf when it opened in fall of 78. that's probably too much detail (i'm still sort of in hiding). i stayed in sf til 84 or so then got shipped to davis, which was dying, and routed off there. i'm really not sure what to say, or how safe this site is. can you enlighten me?

yours in exile

_brian

WogRevert
Hey excosmodgrrl in exile.

Tell only what you are comfortable revealing.

Depending on what you did in 78 at the sac org we may have interacted. I was the estates manager by that time.

When did you find ESMB?

Brian

just today! my son (a "scn kid") sent me the st.petersburg articles and the link to esmb. i perused the cosmod links, found that there's a new mission in davis (gasp!) but couldn't find anything on martin samuels or any other cosmod staff.
i'm trying to think about the summer of 78 before going to sf...it's all such a haze since i never slept, worked the meat off my body day and night, and had
just moved from portland knowing i'd be sent to sf shortly, with no money, kids to feed and support, wondering how the hell it was all going to work out. reggie was running rampant and it seemed every other week a new e.d. was running sac...i think ron was the e.d. then, or am i mistaken??? reggie was gearing up for sf...but the cosmod execs at delphi seemed to have a plan...and i was a loyal though dismayed follower (having watched the wild bunch and shogun enough times to know i'd be gunned down if i said anything out-ethics). oh...wasn't the big push for dmsh happening that summer? some book one drive?

_brian

WogRevert
oh and where can i read your story? i'm still figuring out this site.

Hi.

Just saw this.

I believe you did take a look at the story (for those who start threads you can see who has viewed the tread at the bottom).

It is in the My Story In Scn sub section. Called Part Intro part scn story.

Maybe you didn't read it. tl;dr (too long didn't read) you'll have fun learning new lingo. :)

Brian

Hi.

Just saw this.

I believe you did take a look at the story (for those who start threads you can see who has viewed the tread at the bottom).

It is in the My Story In Scn sub section. Called Part Intro part scn story.

Maybe you didn't read it. tl;dr (too long didn't read) you'll have fun learning new lingo. :)

Brian

okay, i just searched and read it. i know the people in your post you refer to. :). you are quite a writer! but is there a sequel? seems you only go to the point where you finish your hsdc or minister's course. did you then stay at the org? what happened next?? :)

_brian

WogRevert
okay, i just searched and read it. i know the people in your post you refer to. :). you are quite a writer! but is there a sequel? seems you only go to the point where you finish your hsdc or minister's course. did you then stay at the org? what happened next?? :)

Thank you for the compliment.

Another installment is coming. It's kind of the ways of the board. :coolwink:

Brian

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
I was public in cosmod in some of both your time frames...and staff at delphi for a while. I used to help clean up the late night dinners the execs enjoyed, for the leftovers...

Martin was in oakland/emeryville doing real estate developement last I heard, although has not responded to my comm.

Cosmod was a POWERHOUSE. But I came from else where and never was really in the groove there...

freet43

Patron with Honors
Hello,

:

Hi There.

I'd bet we know each other. I too started in Davis in 73. And, I also helped Reggie open the SF mission.... :)

So I am really curious as to your name...

Feel free to private message me.

As far as how "safe" this site is - realize that it is completely open for anyone on the net to read (other than the members only area). Also, the posts do show up on google searches, ie: if you use your real name and someone searches for it, your posts will be open for anyone to see.

Marina

freet43

Patron with Honors
Big welcome to esmb to you excosmodgrrl.

Were you COSMOD Davis or Sac?

Would really like to hear a story and maybe see if we crossed paths in some way.

I have started posting my story starting in Davis then Sac org, '76-90 so was around a lot of staff and public.

Though there were plenty of Brian's around, any ring a bell? PM is ok, no last name for the time being, please.

Brian

Hey Brian,

Can't say I can place you by the first name only.

Is my name familiar?

Marina

freet43

Patron with Honors
just today! my son (a "scn kid") sent me the st.petersburg articles and the link to esmb. i perused the cosmod links, found that there's a new mission in davis (gasp!) but couldn't find anything on martin samuels or any other cosmod staff.
i'm trying to think about the summer of 78 before going to sf...it's all such a haze since i never slept, worked the meat off my body day and night, and had
just moved from portland knowing i'd be sent to sf shortly, with no money, kids to feed and support, wondering how the hell it was all going to work out. reggie was running rampant and it seemed every other week a new e.d. was running sac...i think ron was the e.d. then, or am i mistaken??? reggie was gearing up for sf...but the cosmod execs at delphi seemed to have a plan...and i was a loyal though dismayed follower (having watched the wild bunch and shogun enough times to know i'd be gunned down if i said anything out-ethics). oh...wasn't the big push for dmsh happening that summer? some book one drive?

The new "mission" in Davis is mostly a hoax - a way to pad the stats. IE: Now the Sacramento org has 10 missions or some such. However, this Davis mission (which opened in Oct 2008 if I recall correctly), does NO body routing, no advertising, and is only open Wed and Friday evenings from 7- 9:30 or some such...It's in a tiny upstairs room at the court and cedar, with a small sign. We go by once in a while and have yet to run in to any sign of life.

The mission holder is Steve Ferris - remember him? He is divorced from his wife that was also on staff back in the 70s - Liz. Anyone know if she is out?

Marina

_brian

WogRevert
Hey Brian,

Can't say I can place you by the first name only.

Is my name familiar?

Marina

It is great to see the Sac valley exes start to talk about this part of the woods.

It's possible if you were still at the Davis mission by '76 we could have been aware of each other.

All the countless hundreds of names and people I was familiar with started to fade only a few years ago, I'm lucky to remember my kids names. Ha.

I'll get around to PM you some time.

Brian

hi alex,
ah, that was called mid-rash, right? we were starving in the missions and there was martin and the cosmod management execs feasting every night. you're right about it being a powerhouse--but as you know the power was concentrated at the top. so was the food. and martin loved his fine wine and fine foods. so many times we'd hear of food being flown in.

Last edited:

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
hi alex,
ah, that was called mid-rash, right? we were starving in the missions and there was martin and the cosmod management execs feasting every night. you're right about it being a powerhouse--but as you know the power was concentrated at the top. so was the food. and martin loved his fine wine and fine foods. so many times we'd hear of food being flown in.

Mid Rats, for midnight rations, a military term. Yes Kenji was a good cook...I remember scrapping a bowl of mashed potatoes for the leftovers and wondering at the difference between how I ate and how the execs did.

They were working meals though...:coolwink:

Food was an issue there....even to the point of students parents complaining about it....and I heard after I left there were even a couple times when there was no food. Actual meals missed. And it was over a hundred people staff and students there then.

Now Delphi is a pretty smooth operation, new buildings, prosperous looking...with a fair amount of graduates successful in the world at large.

But I still remember staying up to about 1:30 am just to volunteer to help clean and get the scraps...and you had to be in good with kenji to do that!

It was good times for me. I was young. It was exciting. We were changing the world.

Mid Rats, for midnight rations, a military term. Yes Kenji was a good cook...I remember scrapping a bowl of mashed potatoes for the leftovers and wondering at the difference between how I ate and how the execs did.

They were working meals though...:coolwink:

Food was an issue there....even to the point of students parents complaining about it....and I heard after I left there were even a couple times when there was no food. Actual meals missed. And it was over a hundred people staff and students there then.

Now Delphi is a pretty smooth operation, new buildings, prosperous looking...with a fair amount of graduates successful in the world at large.

But I still remember staying up to about 1:30 am just to volunteer to help clean and get the scraps...and you had to be in good with kenji to do that!

It was good times for me. I was young. It was exciting. We were changing the world.
oh, right, mid rats--i'm sure martin got that from being on the ship, cuz he definitely didn't pick it up in chicago :).

delphi is located in such a beautiful area (i got married on a hilltop there; had my horse stabled there for a while too) and i stayed off and on for meetings in the early years. but they had some kind of weird thing about flushing b/c of the pipes or something and that was pretty disgusting. i know that for decades now it's all been renovated and spiffed up. with what they charge for tuition they should keep it up.

i think you have a pretty clean attitude about your time there--unjaded and positive. i don't get a sense of bitterness. that's pretty cool.