What's new

Staffer Nightmares -or- Reasons To Blow For Good

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
I thought I would just list one of the unbelievable things that happened to me while on staff at an org. Maybe others here can do the same.

QUARTERMASTER DUTY (1978/79)
This assignment usually followed a knee-jerk response to something scio did and was being investigated for. FULL ALERT or some shit like that.

I was Day AND Foundation staff and being the lowest on the totem pole I would inevitably draw QM duty. I would have to work the Day hours, then my Foundation hours and then stay up all night, watching the org, making sure that the 'bad guys' didn't break in and,... well,... it was too awful to think about.

That's being awake and working for over 24 hours straight. I would be allowed to sleep during the follwoing Day hours but not the Foundation hours, even if it meant I had to do another 10 hours QM duty.

This duty was kept for the lowest members only on the org chart. Everyone else was "too important" to do QM.:ohmy:

One morning, after total exhaustion and a week of on again and off again QM duty I fell asleep and was woken up by the ED when he opened the org in the morning.:grouch: A comm Ev followed and I was assigned 25 hours of 'amends', along with my Day and Foundation hours and the still present threat QM duties.:duh:

Someone here has summed it up all too well: the only thing worse than being on staff is prison. Sadly, it was an agreed upon prison with an open door that fear kept me from walking through so many times, until I had finally had enough.:thumbsup:

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow they really screwed up your Comm Ev.

Did the enemy get in?

NO!

Did anyone steal any of the goods?

NO!

Did you successfully sleep and at the same time defend the premises?

YES!

God damn your needle is floating!

Now write a success story and let's put together a re-thread for everyone in the Ethics area of your org.

Hallalujeuh!

Rd00

Wisened One

Crusader
WOW, THAT was some LONG hours! And I thought we had it bad simply working close to 80-hr work-weeks (as Staff). So glad you got out of all that insanity!!

I heard stories of when the SP Building was being built that men were assigned shifts of working something like 36 hrs straight,sleep 12 hrs are repeat, etc..

Hard to believe that people can push their bodies to those limits, like that! (Even brainwashed people). :no:

Last edited:

ULRC/S

Patron with Honors
Hey ZORG,
Quit the crybaby stuff - it wasn't just the lowest on the totem pole that pulled NIghtwatch. I was Syd Fdn acad super 77 - 82 and I did nightwatch lots of times. But maybe that's where they thought I was on the totem pole.

Spent most of it listening to "confidential" tapes in Qual if they left the cabinet unlocked - which they did most of the time....

Regards, Allen

Blue Spirit

Silver Meritorious Patron
Psychotic

Typically crazy org you were part of !

The Scientology organization has been PSYCHOTIC mostly, with some exceptions where a small group of sane people would operate for awhile,
usually just for a little while until an SP from the Sea Org (psychotic beginnings)
would find out about it and come in from outside and above to destroy the
things that were working.

I personally saw my first "Church" destroyed that way. :angry:

It has been a continual contest between those that could HELP and have help
and those who couldn't stand help, called SP's.

Operating Wog

Patron with Honors
We called it "Security". Everyone below senior exec level had to do it. 2 people per night. Foundation got monday - thursday. Day got friday - sunday. I was on Fdn, so there were 8 slots. Oh, and it was only males usually, though that rule changed every once in a while. Usually there were just enough eligible staff to cover the 8 slots. Sometimes there were a few more and you'd get the occasional week off. Other times it was tight and someone would have to do it twice in a week. If you didn't want to do it, you could find someone willing to do it and pay them the going rate to do it for you, which was anywhere from $10 to $25 during my time on staff.

First shift would take over some time around 10:30 and go til something like 3 a.m. Second shift would go until the day crew came in. While one person was on duty, the other one could sleep. It was preferable to get first shift because you couldn't really sleep until around midnight or so, when things quieted down.

Whenever I did it, I'd rent a video, watch it, and then sleep the rest of my shift. You just had to sleep lightly enough to wake up if someone knocked on the door or called, or whatever. Pretty much everyone slept on their shift to some degree. And everyone else know that everyone else did it. As long as you didn't get caught by a senior exect (who didn't have to do it, so had no sympathy), you were ok. Also, both people were supposed to stay all night, but if I did first shift, I'd routinely leave as soon as I woke up my partner. That was pretty common. Some guys would go home and come back at 3 am if they had second shift. That was more frowned upon, because eventually they'd oversleep and screw over the person who stayed behind.

At one point, it was ruled that both people had to stay up and alert all night. This was around the time of the Boston Herald attack I think. That was brutal. I remember hallucinating, seeing people sneaking around outside I was so tired. Eventually, it went back to normal.

The org was broken into and/or vandalized at night several times. Only once on my watch. Someone had stuck a hose under the basement door and turned it on. I actually saw the guy who did it as he was running away and checked it out and found what had happened and stopped it. But not before there was a good half inch of water in the basement. Fucker.

Operating Wog

Patron with Honors
Oh, the other great thing is if you had second shift and went to sleep first, then your partner slept on his shift and overslept and didn't wake you up til it was just about time to go anyway. You got a full night sleep and no guilt, because it wasn't your fault he didn't wake you up! :)

ScnRebel

Patron
We had the shift story in Joburg for a while. I was not sure why this was needed, as there was a company that was paid to do the security.

About once a week I would have to stay up the whole night. As I was Foundation staff, I would have to work during the day, do the Foundation shift, and then stay up the whole night. Although I totally disagreed with the whole thing, and saw no point in it at all, I did it because I had to. I was still young at the time, so the lack of sleep was not too much of an issue.

When the last lot of work was being done on Joburg Org to become Ideal Org, the Foundation staff were required to go and help on renovations after post till 3 or 4 am. That meant we were getting only 3 to 4 hours sleep a night. That went on for about a month. It was actually quite insane. With the lack of coordination and planning, most of that time on renovations was a total waste of time anyway.

With the ridiculous space planning of Joburg Org, they had the main auditorium double up as the Div 6 course room. There were huge partitions that would have to be built up and broken down for events. That meant a select few of us would have to stay behind late into the early hours to rebuild everything after every event. The problem with doing this was that every time we did it, more and more of the panels and equipment would break, till it got to a point where it could not be put back together again, and the staff just refused to do it. But there was a hell of a lot of very late nights putting everything together, and usually done by the few mechanical minded people that knew how it all went together.

Then there were the early days when we used to get out the Magazine. The Foundation staff were usually dumped with the job of doing the labeling and putting on of the stamps. This would also usually go on till late at night.

And let's not forget the late nights on Wednesday night getting the Central Files made, or doing Compliance Reports for the Flag Rep who would not let you leave till she had them.

And how about the times where we had to stay up late doing Method 9 on Keeping Scientology Working, or the birthday game, or creating your saint hill size plans. Is that nuts or what?

It is defineltly a calculated action to wear you down and break you. There is probably a technical term for it. I know they use it in the army. You get to a point where you just don't give a f--- anymore, and will just accept anything.

One day I will write this all up as a proper story.

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
FO 13 states that anyone attempting to put someone on quartermaster duty that is in lower conditions assumes that condition.

I don't have it to quote directly but I used that to get out!

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Okay all you security chiefs...!

Here come the FBI and CIA and they have guns.

You better apply that LRH tech and stop them!

Maybe a little karate too if you know that.

Well I guess you could then stand guard protecting your backside while sitting in jail waiting for your inital hearing on interfering with a Federal Officer.

So did anyone truly believe they could hsve kept the enemy out?

I suspect if it was me during my brainwashed days, I would have thought I could.

Rd00

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
They only issued me a billyclub.

They made me chase the Cont Finance Dir up the street
while he was blowing with his teenage EPF girlfriend.

During this process, an unmarked police car hit the CFD.

The cop wanted to know why I had a billy club and wanted to hold the CFD against his will. I replied "ethics presence, they told me I needed to stop him from leaving."

They were going to arrest me.

Operating Wog

Patron with Honors

Well I guess you could then stand guard protecting your backside while sitting in jail waiting for your inital hearing on interfering with a Federal Officer.

I suspect if it was me during my brainwashed days, I would have thought I could.

Rd00

it wasn't really about keeping out the cia and fbi. mostly local vandals and MIT frat boys in our case. if we left the building empty at night, it would be a smoldering shell of an empty building within a week.

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
They only issued me a billy club.
(snip)

You were issued a weapon? Lucky you: I was our weapon (yikes!).

I used to nod around 3 a.m. or so - one time I nodded again until 7:30 a.m.and that was the one day that freaking suspicious ED came in early. He was all :angry: and :grouch: and I was :nervous:

What the hell did these goofs expect anyways? I chalked it up to the typical scientology absolute and total disregard and annoyance for any human condition, empowered by the SAVE THE PLANET bullshit!:melodramatic:

Does anyone ever remember being told exactly WHO or WHAT we were saving the planet from?

Happy Aberree

Patron with Honors

Rd00

I'm supposed to do what?? Look nothing personal but I think Bat-fink would do a better job than I would (AND KARATE!!!)

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Nightwatch ... females did it too where I was and I quite liked doing it, at least it was quiet and I could wander around peacefully, but I recall the exhaustion for the following few days too.

If someone had broken in I have no idea what I was supposed to have done about it ... though now I am thinking I would probably have politely asked the burglar if they could possibly give me a lift out of there!

:runaway:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
In Sydney we were told that eventually Nightwatch would be done by staff recruited especially to do just that and nothing else.:yes:

Of course it never happened - every recruit was "needed" for something else so the male low-on-the-org-board staff kept getting stuck with the all-night watching videos until the first day staff got in of a morning.:ohmy:

I'm presuming now they're protecting the building from Anons attacking the "Church" late at night in search of hate crimes to commit.:coolwink: