What's new

delphi oregon

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
Who's to blame? Philip.

He said Philip was often harassed by them, and that he felt alone in the world for a number of reasons, including the odd scn-enforced relationship (or lack thereof) with his mother.

My conclusions are mostly from the article's information. Yes, we can easily paint a logical picture that involves Phillip being force fed Scientology from an early age by parents who were eager to treat their child like a grownup inhabiting a child's body. Marie, his mother, was an ardent supporter of the cos and all it stood for. I think she was a SHSBC grad as well. It's a simple conclusion that Phillip's formative years were very stressful and wierd and perhaps lacking in the love or protection that he should have had. Imagine yourself as a thorough Scientologist, with money, and your genius kid is smoking dope and appears to be a terrific success but is trying to adjust at the most prestigious technical school in the world and you're not sure it's working but your kid seems to be very, very capable of handling things for himself. What do you do???? He's as smart as you and has been on his own for years and doesn't want auditing or training and certainly not ethics handlings.

If Phillip was getting auditing, training or otherwise on lines, it makes for a stronger case against the cos. Maybe we can blame his parents for their beliefs causing undue stress on Phillip but it's a stretch. The date of the suicide points to the teachings of LRH. I dunno. Interview a number of people and you'll find about 100% of them came from disfunctional families.

A suicide is something done by an individual. Phillip's suicide note was pretty clear. It wasn't a murder. His parents weren't there. It was a terrible tragedy to those he left behind. From the article, it seemed as if Phillip was rebellious and not very responsible, not unlike most 19 year old kids.

In 1987 or so, I remember seeing a wonderful treehouse at the Gale's house in Clearwater. They had a pool as well. I thought the treehouse had to be the work of loving parents, working with their children in the hopes that their kids would have a full and happy life.

The death of a child is a tragedy.

I would argue that the Gales did everything they could to prepare their child for a successful life, and Phillip ended up with an empty sense about his place in the world, in spite of his success and abilities. This brings up another point about Scientology--it isn't for everyone; and what does a Scio parent do when their kids aren't buying into the philosophy? I guess it could get pretty wierd but there's a lot of wierd parenting going on and trying to make your teenage kids responsible is not a crime.

G

Gottabrain

Does anyone here know about the Children's RPF and/or Children's RPF's RPF at Delphi and if it still exists today?

Does anyone here remember a young boy named Nathaniel, who had one glass eye, who was on the Children's RPF and Children's RPF's RPF there around 1988? At that time, I think he was about 10 years old.

caxseaorg

I was there

I graduated from Delphi Oregon. Left SCN a long time ago. Still dealing with the emotional aftermath of what happened, but I am doing really well in life in spite!

What a waste...

Welcome to newbie CaxSeaOrg! Glad you could join us here for this discussion.

Not to invalidate Boojuum or any other posters here, but my take after reading that excellently written long article on Gawker which had been quashed from publication in Rolling Stone as originally planned by COS black pr and fair gaming of the author is this:

Philip Gale, as described in that article by those who knew him, seems to have many personality traits that would indicate he may have had Asperger's Syndrome. Many very bright but socially awkward "child prodigy" type kids do.

Also, during his last years at college, he seems clearly clinically depressed, and possibly struggling with bi-polar disorder, as well.

Adequate early intervention and counseling (with or without medication) may have eased his suffering and contributed to a successful life.

From WebMD:
"Bipolar Disorder and Suicide

People with bipolar disorder are at great risk for suicide if they are not getting treatment. The National Mental Health Association reports that 30%-70% of suicide victims have suffered from a form of depression. Men commit almost 75% of suicides, even though twice as many women attempt it.

Risk factors for suicide include:

* Having mental and substance abuse disorders
* Family history of mental or substance abuse disorders
* Having attempted suicide previously
* Having a family history of physical or sexual abuse
* Having family members or friends who have attempted suicide
* Keeping a firearm in the home

If you or someone you know is at risk for suicide -- and has shown warning signs -- do not leave them alone. Seek the help of a health care professional right away. People often talk about suicide before they attempt it, so pay close attention to what they are saying and take them seriously.

Some warning signs of suicide include:

* Talking about suicide
* Always talking or thinking about death
* Making comments about being hopeless, helpless, or worthless
* Saying things like "It would be better if I wasn't here" or "I want out"
* Worsening depression
* A sudden switch from being very sad to being very calm or appearing to be happy
* Having a "death wish," tempting fate by taking risks that could lead to death, like driving through red lights
* Losing interest in things one used to care about
* Visiting or calling people one cares about
* Putting affairs in order, tying up lose ends, changing a will

Call 911 if You:

* Think you cannot stop from harming yourself
* Hear voices
* Want to commit suicide
* You know someone who has mentioned wanting to commit suicide"

I would never blame the parents or family members of anyone who commits suicide. In my mind, the controlling influence of Scientology on all involved seems so very evident. It is tragic. My most heartfelt condolences to all who knew and loved him. It seems that we, as society, lost a great potential resource of a creative mind when we lost Philip Gale.

For anyone who might be considering suicide, please tell someone. Reach out just a little, help is available. :yes:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - With Help Comes Hope
Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255), a free, 24-hour hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress ...

www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

FoTi

Crusader
Welcome to newbie CaxSeaOrg! Glad you could join us here for this discussion.

Not to invalidate Boojuum or any other posters here, but my take after reading that excellently written long article on Gawker which had been quashed from publication in Rolling Stone as originally planned by COS black pr and fair gaming of the author is this:

Philip Gale, as described in that article by those who knew him, seems to have many personality traits that would indicate he may have had Asperger's Syndrome. Many very bright but socially awkward "child prodigy" type kids do.

Also, during his last years at college, he seems clearly clinically depressed, and possibly struggling with bi-polar disorder, as well.

Adequate early intervention and counseling (with or without medication) may have eased his suffering and contributed to a successful life.

From WebMD:
"Bipolar Disorder and Suicide

People with bipolar disorder are at great risk for suicide if they are not getting treatment. The National Mental Health Association reports that 30%-70% of suicide victims have suffered from a form of depression. Men commit almost 75% of suicides, even though twice as many women attempt it.

Risk factors for suicide include:

* Having mental and substance abuse disorders
* Family history of mental or substance abuse disorders
* Having attempted suicide previously
* Having a family history of physical or sexual abuse
* Having family members or friends who have attempted suicide
* Keeping a firearm in the home

If you or someone you know is at risk for suicide -- and has shown warning signs -- do not leave them alone. Seek the help of a health care professional right away. People often talk about suicide before they attempt it, so pay close attention to what they are saying and take them seriously.

Some warning signs of suicide include:

* Talking about suicide
* Always talking or thinking about death
* Making comments about being hopeless, helpless, or worthless
* Saying things like "It would be better if I wasn't here" or "I want out"
* Worsening depression
* A sudden switch from being very sad to being very calm or appearing to be happy
* Having a "death wish," tempting fate by taking risks that could lead to death, like driving through red lights
* Losing interest in things one used to care about
* Visiting or calling people one cares about
* Putting affairs in order, tying up lose ends, changing a will

Call 911 if You:

* Think you cannot stop from harming yourself
* Hear voices
* Want to commit suicide
* You know someone who has mentioned wanting to commit suicide"

I would never blame the parents or family members of anyone who commits suicide. In my mind, the controlling influence of Scientology on all involved seems so very evident. It is tragic. My most heartfelt condolences to all who knew and loved him. It seems that we, as society, lost a great potential resource of a creative mind when we lost Philip Gale.

For anyone who might be considering suicide, please tell someone. Reach out just a little, help is available. :yes:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - With Help Comes Hope
Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255), a free, 24-hour hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress ...

www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

*Visiting or calling people one cares about?

Boojuum

The Scio Super Kids

The more I think about the scio kids I knew, the more I think that they were all expected to be extraordinary beings, not simply kids. I heard parents bragging about how OT their kids were at very early ages. Not like the wog parents I'm around now. Parents would brag about how capable their kids were, how independent, how very much like adults they were. I also have seen a number of badly behaved Scio kids.

I think LRH make a tragic error in treating kids like grownups. I think kids need to be around other kids and have fun like only kids can have fun. Why deprive any kid of that experience?

I thought the Delphi organization was supposed to make kids incredibly brilliant or more able to succeed as individuals or leaders in the world. The study tech should have made some type of impact.

Can anyone tell me if they had good or bad educational experiences within Delphi? Did it work or not?

freet43

Patron with Honors
Not sure what you mean by anti-jewish?

Martin Samuels, the founder of Delphi, was Jewish.

Before this building became Delphi it was some sort of religious building - for monks of a christian religion.

Marina

wow.

anther big anti jewish thing.

thanx for the info.

that aside, what about delphi products? do students take SATs? how well do they perform? do they do well in college? in life? have any graduates distinguished themselves?

freet43

Patron with Honors
That is very sad about Philip.

True genius/child prodigies often have extremely difficult lives coping with the mediocrity around them, and feeling of not fitting in.

Both my sons are in this category, and attended special classes for the gifted. There is a lot of data on the difficulties of the gifted. In fact, in our school district, resources were spent on the gifted just as special resources were spent on the disabled....

I have no idea what the church had been up to in the case of Phil - I could certainly see that enforced disconnection with family would just make things worse for children grappling with being so different.

Marina

I attended Delphi and knew Philip well as we were both computer nerds. He was a true genius / child prodigy IMO. I learned of his death from a mutual friend and ex-scn. He had been in touch with Philip before the suicide and, in his opinion, CoS was much to blame. He said Philip was often harassed by them, and that he felt alone in the world for a number of reasons, including the odd scn-enforced relationship (or lack thereof) with his mother.

Not usual socializing with friends or family...

*Visiting or calling people one cares about?

Foti, FreeBeing is right. This is not the normal "visiting" with family or friends at holiday or vacation time (especially in the case of students), but unusual outgoing activity for an otherwise depressed and reclusive person, a flurry of socializing or "farewell visits", often with heart to heart talks, unusual out of the blue expressions of affection or thanks, or out of the ordinary gift sharing or giving away of one's possessions...a sort of wrapping up of one's life before attempting the act of suicide.

Often someone who has been very depressed, grieving, angry or upset will seem to take a sudden inexplicable change into peacefulness or serenity, causing others around them to think that they are feeling and doing better, when actually they have just come to a determination or made a decision that the right course of action for them to end their suffering is to commit suicide. This can be very confusing and hurtful to those left behind. Sometimes the best time a surviving person has had with their friend or loved one is right before that person has attempted or committed suicide, making what should be happy memories of that good time even harder to bear. knowing what the other was really experiencing and had in mind to do.

Fortunately for me (and realistically, it may only be a matter of time), no-one I have ever known closely or worked with directly, person to person, has ever committed suicide, but I have known and worked with several survivors of suicide. That's what the family members and friends and loved ones of people who commit suicide are called.

I can share that in every case I have known about directly, people talked about doing it before they acted, as Philip Gale did. Often made a trial run or two or rehearsed it in some way...sadly, often the ways they talked about it and confided in others close to them was often overlooked or rationalized away as being something else, because most people aren't educated or trained to know how to handle these kinds of "talks", and don't want to really LOOK at what is going on with the other person. Friends and family members often feel helpless about knowing what to do, which is why I am saying, reach out and get some professional counseling help if you, or someone you know, is suicidal. Low cost or free help is available pretty much everywhere thanks to phones, the Internet, and social services, and doesn't have to involve psychiatry or drugs, although it may, if one chooses to use that via. No judgment here, either way.

I want to also echo here what others have shared that part of the COS party line reverse auditing black propaganda seems to say or imply that the world without the SO is such a cold hard terrible place and all the people in it are so degraded that anyone who leaves the SO will end up in a terrible state, often will be a suicide. This is just a lie. It is also an "implanted" thought or suggestion, done on purpose to cave people in or interiorize them and keep them from leaving COS, or get them to return after they leave and encounter real world difficulties that we all have to navigate. See it for what it is. Scientology seriously messes people up for a time, and they can recover. It does take time to recover, but in my experience, when people really leave the indoctrination and COS mindset behind them, their lives take off and they truly flourish and thrive. This is true.

Not sure what you mean by anti-jewish?

Martin Samuels, the founder of Delphi, was Jewish.

Before this building became Delphi it was some sort of religious building - for monks of a christian religion.

Marina

Marina, I think the poster was responding to the vid I posted of Aaron Saxon, former Commodores Messenger, where he was talking about a hidden data line from LRH for CMO's about the world bank and Jews. Post #16 on this thread.

Glad to hear that your sons are doing well. I used to be a GATE (gifted and talented) teacher at one time, so have a lot of understanding of and affinity for highly intelligent or gifted kids and Aspies. :)

Thanks Veda for the info re: Martin, Delphi and Paolo.

Sorry to hear how Paolo died. The Co$ is simply appalling in it's behavior and treatment of people who had given so much.

Sweetness, Martin is very much alive. Last I heard, he was running a thriving contracting business in Northern California. What an amazing man, Martin is.

Hadn't heard Jay Nunley's name in eons.....is he still at Delphi?

As far as the library, initially most of the books there were donated by the staff, family and friends of Martin's missions. I had sent all my college books and my whole personal library - quite a few boxes. I wonder if they are still there.

Marina

Marina, thanks for this information. I'm glad to know that Martin is alive and doing well. Perhaps one day he will join us here? :happydance:

Think of the stories he could tell! :ohmy: :clap:

Does anybody know if the Delphi library is still intact?

Megalomaniac

wow.

anther big anti jewish thing.

thanx for the info.

that aside, what about delphi products? do students take SATs? how well do they perform? do they do well in college? in life? have any graduates distinguished themselves?

What do I have to do to be distinguished around here? :confused2: I scored 640 verbal & 800 math on my SAT. Then, I flunked out of college. My girlfriend says I perform poorly. I'm still trying to get a life.

DistinguishedConductMedalUKRev.jpg

Zinj, he said distinguished, not extinguished.

Boojuum

Delphi success

Can someone tell me of an absolute success coming out of Delphi and crediting the school with their success?

What do I have to do to be distinguished around here? :confused2: I scored 640 verbal & 800 math on my SAT. Then, I flunked out of college. My girlfriend says I perform poorly. I'm still trying to get a life.

DistinguishedConductMedalUKRev.jpg

Zinj, he said distinguished, not extinguished.

Now Mac, it's not that bad...you have a wicked sense of humor :thumbsup:, and are very caring towards others, which makes you distinguished in my book! :happydance:

freet43

Patron with Honors
I would love to see Martin here and what a book he could write!

Marina, thanks for this information. I'm glad to know that Martin is alive and doing well. Perhaps one day he will join us here? :happydance:

Think of the stories he could tell! :ohmy: :clap:

Does anybody know if the Delphi library is still intact?