What's new

alt.religion.scientology

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I would concur with that.

You were reading ARS in '95? I'd just started around then, and, for all intents and purposes, that's when ARS did 'take off' and there was certainly a paradigm shift; what with the new people, especially the Subgenii contingent who arrived after the raids and RMgroup etc.

There are any number of 'been here since the beginning' types who then recused themselves into whining about the 'good old days', but, I think between '95 and '99 were the golden years of ARS. More 'action' than you could shake a stick at :)

I suspect that a lot of the 'Good Old Days' nostalgia is delusional.

Zinj

jodie

Patron with Honors
I would concur with that.

Ah thank you! Its always so nice (and rare) to have anyone agree with me. :whistling:

My personal opinion of the masses that arrived when all the 'excitement' hit was that most of those people were wanna-bes, having such empty lives of their own, they had no idea of the depth of the issues at play. They did a lot of damage to some exes. The really sincere and valuable people were drowned out by the wanna-bes, who were simply after some action to liven up their boring lives, and wanted to impose their boring opinions on the NG in an attempt to give their lives some meaning and importance. I met many of those. So the NG went from being like a really good inter-active documentary/human interest/social activist show, to a Ricki Lake show.

In 1994, the first ever person to blow Scientology as a result of interacting with people on the NG was Michael Bacon. Had the mindless masses not arrived, I know that a lot more people would have left as a result of the NG, as Michael was hard-core. He had been chatting to Enid Vien, and then was most outraged when the CoS reigned him in, told them to sod off, and then he was Declared.

- jodie

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ah thank you! Its always so nice (and rare) to have anyone agree with me. :whistling:

My personal opinion of the masses that arrived when all the 'excitement' hit was that most of those people were wanna-bes, having such empty lives of their own, they had no idea of the depth of the issues at play. They did a lot of damage to some exes. The really sincere and valuable people were drowned out by the wanna-bes, who were simply after some action to liven up their boring lives, and wanted to impose their boring opinions on the NG in an attempt to give their lives some meaning and importance. I met many of those. So the NG went from being like a really good inter-active documentary/human interest/social activist show, to a Ricki Lake show.

In 1994, the first ever person to blow Scientology as a result of interacting with people on the NG was Michael Bacon. Had the mindless masses not arrived, I know that a lot more people would have left as a result of the NG, as Michael was hard-core. He had been chatting to Enid Vien, and then was most outraged when the CoS reigned him in, told them to sod off, and then he was Declared.

- jodie

In those early days '96 I was averaging about 7 to 15 people a month out of the CofS who contacted me from reading ARS and ACT.

One month the whole student body of one Org disaffected........as I was under intense scrutiny and gave my word to keep things confidential - I could not let people know how successful the ARS and ACT actions were. :melodramatic:

jodie

Patron with Honors
In those early days '96 I was averaging about 7 to 15 people a month out of the CofS who contacted me from reading ARS and ACT.

One month the whole student body of one Org disaffected........as I was under intense scrutiny and gave my word to keep things confidential - I could not let people know how successful the ARS and ACT actions were. :melodramatic:

Ah, OK. I was not around much in '96. Glad to hear it, this is encouraging.

- jodie

Howard

Patron
Hi all

My name is Howard. Earlier this year, I signed up to ESMB and since
then have lurked and read the archives.

Back in '97 and newly online at home, I discovered ars. Having followed
the thoughts and doings of LRH since the early '50's, it was a real
eye-opener. For many years I'd looked askance at what the press,
courts and media reports and found that there were better and
cheaper ways of enhancing awareness, confidence and competence.
Anyhow, the joint was jumpin'!

Yes, ars has changed. Ebb and flow, ebb and flow. Still it remains,
imo, one of the tallest trees in the forest. Struck repeatedly by
lightning bolts, much scarred and sometimes with little obvious
heartwood.

Alan said to me that my response to him was driven by 'nostalgia' -
perhaps so, but not entirely. It's just that the motherlode has run
low and one has to pan for smaller and less frequent nuggets...

Howard

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Howard

..says one of the more consistent nuggeteers :)

Glad to see you here Howard.

Zinj

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Hi all

My name is Howard. Earlier this year, I signed up to ESMB and since
then have lurked and read the archives.

Back in '97 and newly online at home, I discovered ars. Having followed
the thoughts and doings of LRH since the early '50's, it was a real
eye-opener. For many years I'd looked askance at what the press,
courts and media reports and found that there were better and
cheaper ways of enhancing awareness, confidence and competence.
Anyhow, the joint was jumpin'!

Yes, ars has changed. Ebb and flow, ebb and flow. Still it remains,
imo, one of the tallest trees in the forest. Struck repeatedly by
lightning bolts, much scarred and sometimes with little obvious
heartwood.

Howard

Welcome, Newbie.

We'd like to see some production from you around here. Still crying over that lost girlfriend?

Well drown your sorrows in some more posting!

Snap and pop!!!

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
The common view seems to be that 'ARS went to hell after I joined it'. I'm not sure *what* that means, but, it seems to be the most common cog ;)

Zinj

Yeah I think there is an air of truth about that. I was on ARS before the RMGroup and there were assholes on there then - not so many perhaps, but there again there weren't that many posters in general on there!

It used to be a lot harder to use killfiles back then - especially for newbies.

Howard

Patron
Welcome, Newbie.

We'd like to see some production from you around here. Still crying over that lost girlfriend?

Well drown your sorrows in some more posting!

Snap and pop!!!

Lost girlfriend? As to further posting, I'll see what I can do.

Howard
Now playing: Night Train - Oscar Peterson

Terril park

Sponsor
Hi fluff!

A momentary instant of quantum weirdness leads me to suggest that you might enjoy "Only Yesterday" (Ghibli 1991). Anime with a difference...

Howard
Now playing: Gayane Ballet Suite (Adagio)

Welcome Howard, and nice to meet a fellow music lover. Though
our tastes may be different. Gayane? That Khatachurian?