What's new

ESMB Poster "David Mayo"

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
So I'm glad that I'm studying shamanism, history and Buddhism right now. The books by Buddhist authors I'm reading contain "don't follow me, I'm not perfect" and "we're all bozos on this bus" type comments in virtually every single chapter. Yet, what they have to offer really does help.

... That's what gets me. Not so much that this sort of thing and the "sorry, up statistic" arguments are not such a great argument for Scn outside of CofS- although that would be a valid point- but that those same people routinely go about telling people that they are offering a haven from entheta, that it's not like CofS, and that critics are so mean and horrible but that there's sanity on that FZ list. ...

Actually it's a bit worst than that, Fluff. Such individuals are in fact 'spreading entheta in the name of theta'. Rather than simply addressing the 'unpleasant' truths that are raised on their boards they seek instead to denigrate those who dare to broach such topics. It shows a remarked inability to confront truth and is not 'ot' in any sensible estimation.

Mark A. Baker

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Yah. I sometimes get more annoyed with those who give the tacit approval and who turn their backs on their friends than I do with the ones who were really aggressive, etc.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
One thing BB did do, was at least chime in on that discussion in the Freezone yahoo group that I was having (the really awful one) and encourage everyone to take it back channel. Of course that went over like a lead balloon but I will also say that at no time did I get the feeling that BB felt I deserved to be excoriated as I was.

This is more than I can say for some other friends of mine.

One thing BB did do, was at least chime in on that discussion in the Freezone yahoo group that I was having (the really awful one) and encourage everyone to take it back channel. Of course that went over like a lead balloon but I will also say that at no time did I get the feeling that BB felt I deserved to be excoriated as I was.

This is more than I can say for some other friends of mine.

Yes BB is good about 'disapproving after the fact' while being wholly feckless in the face of the coming storm. That is, when he isn't the one leading the charge. :eyeroll:

However, he is a nice man.

Mark A. Baker

apocalyptic

Patron with Honors
However, he is a nice man.
Mark A. Baker

A 'nice man' is the 'last man' to trust in regard to addressing the idiosyncrasies of Spiritual Being. Most especially coming from desiring the nectar of having social influence and power. For the simple reason their 'niceness' necessitates a psychological blind-spot that renders their spiritual-objectivity (and thus analysis) null & void.

We thought you would know that (or knew that, by now) Mark.

Apparently we (unwittingly) erred.

Your emotion is showing.

Forgive us.

Or fire.

Apocalyptic

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Well, I know BB pretty well. We've met, emailed, phoned. I consider him to be a friend. He and I don't agree on everything, of course, but then again, when I'm looking to be a friend with someone, I'm not looking for a clone.

I used to know some people who had these neighbors. The friends of ours were very distressed at these vicious dogs their neighbors had who ran around loose terrorizing everyone and who were rumored to be chickenkillers. (serious thing as this was a rural area). Later, I asked them about it again and they said the dogs weren't really vicious. And the reason our friends no longer thought so was that they had made friends with those neighbors. The dogs' behavior did not change one iota.

What I mean by this parable is that people tend to make excuses for their friends. I did see that in that recent discussion debacle (and I'd been trying so hard to be flame free).

A 'nice man' is the 'last man' to trust in regard to addressing the idiosyncrasies of Spiritual Being. Most especially coming from desiring the nectar of having social influence and power. For the simple reason their 'niceness' necessitates a psychological blind-spot that renders their spiritual-objectivity (and thus analysis) null & void.

We thought you would know that (or knew that, by now) Mark.

Apparently we (unwittingly) erred.

Your emotion is showing.

Forgive us.

Or fire.

Apocalyptic

Why would you conclude that I "... trust in regard to addressing the idiosyncrasies of Spiritual Being ...", BB? :omg:

Or that I advocate trusting people based on how nice they may appear to be? :omg:

Your post makes no sense. :no:

What I said was: BB is a nice man. Full stop. It's true. He is. He also knows a lot of people. Some of the people he knows, I know too. Some of those people I personally deem to be exceptionally trustworthy individuals.

I have made no implication that I agree with BB's judgement. Frankly, I often don't. :no:

Be wary of the assumptions you make.

Mark A. Baker

freet43

Patron with Honors
Queen of the Sun

Back to gardening and bees: A film has just been released that deals with the issue of the collapse of bee colonies, paricularly in the US.

It is called Queen of the Sun by Taggart Siegel and has been much acclaimed.:yes:

I believe it contrasts what is happening in the US with the relatively healthy state of bees in NZ.

Taggart, an American, lives part of the year in NZ, is actually a neighbour of my daughter in Pigeon Bay, Banks Peninsula.

The movie is screening here and in the US at the moment. I intend to see it.:yes:

If you want some info on the causes of bee collapse and what you can do to take care of this vital part of our food production, I recommend it to you. :yes:

Coming to Davis, CA starting Friday, June 17th for one week only!

http://www.davisvarsity.net/pages/comingsoon.php

Marina