What's new

We are Anonymous

Div6

Crusader
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCbKv9yiLiQ

Looks like our new "friends" have posted a message on UTube.

What is of note to me is the number of comments, and how many of them
say [This comment has been removed due to illegal action by the Cult of Scientology.]

Not quite sure what that is all about...

Lovesnightsky

Silver Meritorious Patron

say [This comment has been removed due to illegal action by the Cult of Scientology.]

I think it's an attempt to make it clear that the church stops people expressing their thoughts. It's copy and pasted by different users.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Like, for instance, they seemed to have been listening when they were here.

They addressed the concerns raised on this board about their actions and they responded specifically to those concerns in the message they posted.

It doesn't look to me like a bunch of stupid kids.

Lovesnightsky

Silver Meritorious Patron
Like, for instance, they seemed to have been listening when they were here.

They addressed the concerns raised on this board about their actions and they responded specifically to those concerns in the message they posted.

It doesn't look to me like a bunch of stupid kids.

Yeah, it is very well made, it gave me the willies!

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
P.S. I know people who think 'The Matrix' is the deepest; most mystical and religious movie ever made :)

Zinj

Well...

It's actually pretty easy to concoct the media. One person could do that. Whoever "they" are, they're certainly motivated and have, at least, a level of understanding that anticipates reciprocal paranoia.

I don't think they should be underestimated. I'm not sure if I completely agree with the tactics. PsyOps against the psychologically compromised shouldn't be taken lightly.

...and yes, it gave me the heebeegeebees, too.

P.S. I know people who think 'The Matrix' is the deepest; most mystical and religious movie ever made :)

Zinj

Until you consider that the human-race could be easily replaced by supplicant bovines, who would more efficiently provide that battery power.

The friend who came up with the idea calls it the Mootrix.

Zinjifar

Until you consider that the human-race could be easily replaced by supplicant bovines, who would more efficiently provide that battery power.

Let me know once you've read James Gunn's 'The Joy Makers'.

The Matrix is OK actionwise, but, about as deep as Keanu Reeves :)
Of course, there are people who live by Star Wars too...

Zinj

Div6

Crusader

Thats funny....I will never look at milk the same again...

Zinjifar

The Joy Makers

An interesting review from Amazon.com

"The Joy Makers" starts out slowly, with a narrow focus, then gradually expands to deal with philosophical and existential questions of cosmic significance. That's what good science fiction is all about: think of A.E. Van Vogt's "The Weapon Shops of Issher" or Alfred Bester's "The Demolished Man." Yet, while those two novels have received huge accolades, "The Joy Makers" has almost been forgotten. This is a real shame, because it is every bit as thought-provoking as Van Vogt's and Bester's efforts.
"The Joy Makers" is composed of three novellas. The first contains a plot that has since become a cliche in the science fiction and horror genres. A new corporation comes to town, selling happiness. Using advanced technology, it can guarantee your proper adjustment in society and, ultimately, hedonic bliss. The episode follows the struggles of one man, who initially rejects the technology but later is tragically desperate to obtain it.

The second novella takes place many years in the future after the first. The hedonists have now taken over society. A sort of priesthood has developed, whose function is to regulate people's lives so that they remain happy. But already cracks are beginning to appear in the edifice: the idea that happiness can be achieved through sublimation and redirection of one's desires through classical psychological and philosophical training is being challenged by a decadent hedonics that looks only to momentary gratification. By the end of the second section, it is unclear whether qualitative hedonism or cheap thrills will win out.

The third novella gives us the answer to that question. I don't want to spoil the plot, but it quickly becomes clear that people's desire for unearned bliss has won out over everything else. Family, achievement, struggle, creativity have all taken a back seat to unending bliss, with disastrous results. The world has become a sort of decadent, cybernetic opium den (amazing prophetic job by Gunn!). One non-decadent, newly arrived from the hinterlands of Mars, seeks to change this pattern. In the course of fighting the powers that control this plugged-in and dropped-out society, he engages in a brilliant philosophical argument on the nature of life. This meditation is absolutely wonderful, and I re-read it every so often just to immerse myself in the concepts. Should we withdraw from the pain of life, like Schopenhauer and Epicurus taught, or should we charge forward in the name of creativity and life itself, as Neitzsche contended? The answers this novel gives show the potential of science fiction to address deep philosophical and existential questions.
------------------------------
I highly recommend the book. Not so much the sequel :)

Zinj

An interesting review from Amazon.com

"The Joy Makers" starts out slowly, with a narrow focus, then gradually expands to deal with philosophical and existential questions of cosmic significance. That's what good science fiction is all about: think of A.E. Van Vogt's "The Weapon Shops of Issher" or Alfred Bester's "The Demolished Man." Yet, while those two novels have received huge accolades, "The Joy Makers" has almost been forgotten. This is a real shame, because it is every bit as thought-provoking as Van Vogt's and Bester's efforts.
"The Joy Makers" is composed of three novellas. The first contains a plot that has since become a cliche in the science fiction and horror genres. A new corporation comes to town, selling happiness. Using advanced technology, it can guarantee your proper adjustment in society and, ultimately, hedonic bliss. The episode follows the struggles of one man, who initially rejects the technology but later is tragically desperate to obtain it.

The second novella takes place many years in the future after the first. The hedonists have now taken over society. A sort of priesthood has developed, whose function is to regulate people's lives so that they remain happy. But already cracks are beginning to appear in the edifice: the idea that happiness can be achieved through sublimation and redirection of one's desires through classical psychological and philosophical training is being challenged by a decadent hedonics that looks only to momentary gratification. By the end of the second section, it is unclear whether qualitative hedonism or cheap thrills will win out.

The third novella gives us the answer to that question. I don't want to spoil the plot, but it quickly becomes clear that people's desire for unearned bliss has won out over everything else. Family, achievement, struggle, creativity have all taken a back seat to unending bliss, with disastrous results. The world has become a sort of decadent, cybernetic opium den (amazing prophetic job by Gunn!). One non-decadent, newly arrived from the hinterlands of Mars, seeks to change this pattern. In the course of fighting the powers that control this plugged-in and dropped-out society, he engages in a brilliant philosophical argument on the nature of life. This meditation is absolutely wonderful, and I re-read it every so often just to immerse myself in the concepts. Should we withdraw from the pain of life, like Schopenhauer and Epicurus taught, or should we charge forward in the name of creativity and life itself, as Neitzsche contended? The answers this novel gives show the potential of science fiction to address deep philosophical and existential questions.
------------------------------
I highly recommend the book. Not so much the sequel :)

Zinj

That looks interesting. It's like he flipped Aldous Huxley's Brave New World on its head, sublimating the higher aims of man with a preference for hedonism, rather than ensuring man's higher nature (and his place as a cog within society), with hedonism. I'll be sure and keep my eye open for it.

Last edited:

Zinjifar

That looks interesting. It's like he flipped Aldous Huxley's Brave New World on its head, sublimating the higher aims of man with a preference for hedonism, rather than ensuring man's higher nature (and his place as a cog within society), with hedonism. I'll be sure and keep my eye open for it.

It's certainly an offshoot of 'Brave New World', but, typical for SF, more pointedly directed at the concept of 'what is good'.

The final chapter is without question the proto-matrix. With less Keanu

::thumbsup:

Zinj

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

Wow. It's been up for 20 hours, been favourited 1,231 times, seen 137,657 times, commented 2,647 times, 3,149 ratings, and the following honours:

#1 - Most Discussed (Today)
#1 - Most Discussed (Today) - Science & Technology
#28 - Most Linked (Today)
#3 - Most Linked (Today) - Science & Technology
#20 - Most Linked (This Week) - Science & Technology
#11 - Most Responded (Today)
#27 - Most Responded (This Week)
#7 - Most Viewed (Today)
#2 - Most Viewed (Today) - Science & Technology
#5 - Most Viewed (This Week) - Science & Technology
#1 - Top Favorites (Today)
#1 - Top Favorites (Today) - Science & Technology
#1 - Top Rated (Today)
#1 - Top Rated (Today) - Science & Technology
#4 - Top Rated (This Week)
#1 - Top Rated (This Week) - Science & Technology.

That is all real. It's not like spoofing a return e-mail address. :)

This is a complete PR disaster for the CofS. The comments are overwhelmingly against the CofS, or more likely "Scientology". No-one can brush this aside. This is general public opinion (well, general YouTube public opinion), not a single reporter or newspaper editor or TV producer.

This is a real big deal. :)

Paul

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
I love the line in the video "We are your SPs"! It is said with implacable impact.

Scientology.org is currently down.

Looks like the ol' CofS is reaping what it has sowed! :thumbsup:

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Down right now. I think when you see some of the site but not all graphics that is because connection is intermittent and is being broken while downloading the graphics.

The slowness will be being caused by repeated attempts to connect.