What's new

Anybody from AOSHUK about 1979-1980?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Sadly Isla Pryde has died (her obituary is in the Auditor mag).

She was in the SO for over 40 years.

She was on the post of Solo DofP when the AO was in Edinburgh in 1968. She was on the same post when I was at Saint Hill 1972-86. She was on the same post when I visited SH around 2002. As far as I know she remained on it afterwards. I like(d) her very much.

isla.jpg

The pic is from winter 1982/3, taken from my DTS desk and she at hers. The cloth cap and pink scarf weren't quite part of the uniform. That's a cigarette lighter around her neck, I seem to remember.

Paul

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
She was on the post of Solo DofP when the AO was in Edinburgh in 1968. She was on the same post when I was at Saint Hill 1972-86. She was on the same post when I visited SH around 2002. As far as I know she remained on it afterwards. I liked her very much.

The pic is from winter 1982/3, taken from my DTS desk and she at hers. The cloth cap and pink scarf weren't quite part of the uniform.

Paul

Same for me Paul, a true lady.

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
I am very sorry and embarrassed about the misinformation about Jenny. It really is inexcusable. My apologies especially to Danielle, Sara, and Jean-Luc.

The information comes quick and fast from my friend, so please don't take everything I relay from her as gospel. I am relying on my imperfect memory and may get some things mixed up. I hope anything that is not accurate can be corrected by others who know. I hope also that some of it is of interest. I know I love hearing about those who were there at SH with me.

Hi Kutta (love to know who you are, message me).... no harm done. Just nice to put the record straight (thanks to Solo and Dulloldfart for your assistance). Not that it really matters, but Jean-Luc only used to lay carpets years ago when he first left. He is a Chiropractor now. KR Danielle

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hi Kutta (love to know who you are, message me)...<snip>... KR Danielle

Gail Dowgray. She's quite open about her identity here on ESMB.

-----

I assume KR is for Kind Regards, but it's amusing to see it on an ex-Scn message board. :)

Paul

solo

Patron with Honors
So sorry to hear about Isla Pryde, she was a lovely lady and like an auntie to everyone who passed through the AO. I'm sure we all wish she had left, but perhaps she was content with her life, as she was loved by so many people. She lived her own life and cared for others in the way she knew.

RIP Isla.

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
!!!

Gail Dowgray. She's quite open about her identity here on ESMB.

-----

I assume KR is for Kind Regards, but it's amusing to see it on an ex-Scn message board. :)

Paul

Hi Paul, made me giggle... I didn't even think of the old KR.... ooooppss! Oh well hopefully it will make people smile. Gail.... I am sure I must remember her, but can't picture her?

Danielle

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
Does this thread end here?
It was so nice to read it again after so many years, all the names etc.
In the mean time Kutta passed away.

Gail, if you are reading this maybe from above, did I ever tell you that you were the kindest person I met at Saint Hill?
When I wanted to leave the SO, you did not hate me like many others there then did.
I have such fond memories of you and your son Andy in Qual.

I enjoyed you posting on the forum very much.
missing you...
much love :heartflower::heartflower::heartflower:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Does this thread end here?
It was so nice to read it again after so many years, all the names etc.

It's fine to disinter it every now and then. Maybe some lurker who hasn't seen it before will get spurred into activity here. I'm happy to play the "Do you remember when . . . ?" game, but by myself I spend very little time going over such memories.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Under the Rim. An epic galactic romp.

4i88GgaV8qiFU89taP2MgKXzwntUGAvkoQiKU7VxyD37q9bj6jBaniAMqPY16uHMSakRe9FyLp4XxybyGYpVWbGduFSpvZ5U8unhBzGRmCzHoeumTrG1cRJjqQ

I wrote (and mimeo'd a few copies) this 184-verse poem in 1979. I think I put it online once but I can't find it, so here it is again. Almost nobody has seen this in nearly 40 years. This was in the era of Star Wars, the Lensman Series, Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy, and Scn space-opera of course. I'm putting it all online in 20-verse instalments on Steemit, the final post to be today. Here are links to the posts:

Intro and verses 1-20
Verses 21-40
Verses 41-60
Verses 61-80
Verses 81-100
Verses 101-120
Verses 121-140
Verses 141-160
Verses 160-184

I can't post it all here, but here are a few favourite verses:

30. “When I was a lad and the spaceways were full
Of brave merchantmen plying their merchandise
I was part of a cargo which bust an embargo
'Twas hid from the custom men's searchin' eyes"

87. The last time he came here the Cap'n were impressed
By the size of the Sagonimone intellect
His ship had exploded when some fuel was unloaded
But none of his body was splinter-flecked

146. The Cap'n and Callest' stood alone in a valley
Not seeing the descent of the others
They'd missed their companions' ship over the canyon's lip
The blast damn near fried 'em – the mothers!

Anyway ... enjoy. :)

Paul

Last edited:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
She was on the post of Solo DofP when the AO was in Edinburgh in 1968. She was on the same post when I was at Saint Hill 1972-86. She was on the same post when I visited SH around 2002. As far as I know she remained on it afterwards. I like(d) her very much.

isla.jpg

The pic is from winter 1982/3, taken from my DTS desk and she at hers. The cloth cap and pink scarf weren't quite part of the uniform. That's a cigarette lighter around her neck, I seem to remember.

Paul
Yes, Isla was on post at AOUK in Edinburgh when I went up there to do CC/OTI in February 1970. She wasn't wearing a cloth cap then but that stupid AO uniform of white top and trousers with a silver belt and silver shoes (supposed to be very space opera I think).

I liked her but she didn't like me very much. She signed my clear cert. RIP Isla.

Last edited: