What's new

Who went back to fragrances?

Wisened One

Crusader
Hey all:

Sorry if there's been a thread with this subject. But wanted to know:

Who all of you when you got out went back to fragrances? (Whether it be outright full-blown Perfume or just essential oils, herbals and/or scented products?

After we did the Purif, we could never again wear or even be near anyone with certain Perfumes on...STILL feel ill whenever someone near has it on...(tho not ALL Perfumes..)

Shortly after we got out, it was SUCH a thrill to find a scented deoderant we could stand, then WEAR it, heeheehee! It was such a fun 'stab';)

We do use natural esssential oils sometimes for our home: (peppermint, lavendar, certain brand of patchouli scents, etc..)

Scented products we like: Pantene, Caress (only the original scented one). Baby powder/oil....Herbal Essence shampoos: coconut, citrus scents, etc..

Interested to hear your stories with your relationships to fragrances after Scn!

Wisened One

Last edited:

nw2394

Silver Meritorious Patron
Frankly I hate perfumes - some of them are horrid - others are just a waste of money. I am used to working on a farm - I don't need the world dressed up to smell nicer than it is - and in fact resent people masking how dirty they really are - if you smell get a wash for Christ's sake. That was true for me pre-Scn and remains so.

Nick

Lovesnightsky

I have always been allergic to perfumes but cologne and natural scents are ok for me and absolutely looooooove them.
I also use natural incense sticks. A left over from my buddhist practice, which are gorgeous to light up and give the home a lovely smell.

I don't use sents to mask my dirt or odor. I shower every day and due to my allergies I use a natural salt and mineral deodorant. I found a great natural shampoo that smells divine and since I have very long hair, the scent will stay with me for a long time during the day before it fades.

Yes, going back to scents has been a great and liberating experience!!!!!!!!

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I like natural fragrances but mostly dislike synthetic ones. The idea of being exposed to all those perfumes was quite a concern of mine while I was routing out of the SO, but once out I found it was rarely a problem.

Paul

Wisened One

Crusader
nw and lovesnightsky: We also do not use scent to cover up dirt/odor, and shower every day. I didn't realize my post alluded to using fragrances for covering-up reasones?

I like natural incenses sometimes, too.

Wisened One

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Scientology supresses perfume? Another hubbard thing??

Yes. And all added 'scents'. He'd have his SO slaves rinse his clothes over and over to make sure there was no 'scent' left and scream bloody murder if He could imagine any.

Think Howard Hughes on crack.

Zinj

Wisened One

Crusader
Anon: Yep. It's a Hubbard thing. He wrote a policy about it titled: 'Fragrance' I think he wrote several others on the subject as well:

In a nutshell: He says that the psychs used perfumes/scents/fragrances as an 'evil tool' and a way to 'dumb' and control people by 'hypnotising' their sense with perfume.
(A lot of the strong, synthetic perfumes do make us feel dizzy, personally...not defending that view, just saying...).

Maybe another poster here has the PL?

Yep. ALL Scientologists (and more so, the Sea Org) are extremely anti-scent of any kind. One time I spend HOURS shopping for an unscented shampoo because I had to go to a Sea Org org for a visit, and when I went to go use it, it was GONE. (was taken and thrown away, guess the unscentedness wasn't unscented enough?).

They're obsessive about it. When we cleaned the Org, we used only water to clean surfaces, etc..

Wisened One

Last edited:

anondc7777

Patron
oh shit that is hysterical

we are SO using that

think excess cologne will irritate the OSA people at the protests?

I personally dislike excess cologne, but I'm willing to sacrifice for the cause!

Ladybird

++++++++++++ SACRED CULT SCRIPTURE +++++++++++++

The body is normally sweet-smelling down to 2.0 [the lowest
non-abberated (sane) point on the Tone Scale] but begins to exude
chronically certain unpleasant effluvia from 2.0 down. Individuals from
2.0 down commonly have bad breath. Their feet may have a considerable
odour. The musk glands are very active. The sweat has a peculiar smell.
Sexual organs emit a repelling odour. And various body exhaust
functions are not under very good control. The person may have to
urinate or defecate under slight stresses or may weep easily for no
apparent cause. This column has not been added to this chart because it
has not been thoroughly explored but is only known in a general way.
Any slightly or greatly repulsive physical odour from an individual
does, however, indicate a tone scale position below 2.0. It is amusing
to note that in the Orient wives are commonly selected by the sweetness
of their perspiration. This is a very reliable test for position on the
tone scale. People who have bad breath as they are processed lose it
when the are above 2.0 on the tone scale. People who are temporarily
suppressed below 2.0 commonly have bad breath.

-- L. Ron Hubbard
Science of Survival

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ladybird

No, I do not use scented products even though I am long gone from the cult. In fact, I have super strong exhaust fans in my office and home, because a lot of scents people wear give me a headache!

:confused2:

Maybe it was one of the few good things about the Sea Org, we were not exposed to all the chemical cleaners, scents, antimicrobials, etc. that seem to be causing so many allergies, illnesses and autism.

On the other hand, we sure did have to live with cigarette smoke, asbestos, stress, poor nutrition and lack of sleep!

So who knows???

ChaoticPsychotic

Patron with Honors
I use only very high end designer perfume. No drugstore scents for me.
Brands like, Dior and YSL and such.

I am frequently complemented on how pleasant I smell. You can only smell them if you hug me. I am not walking in a cloud of scent.

I used to wear cherry chapstick in the SO and when I would lean into help out my students while suping sometimes they would catch a whiff and say "Yum". As usual I was breaking as many rules as I could get away with.

Being as your sense of smell is one of the 5 major senses I think that it was cruel to be cut off from it for so long. Sensory deprivation of sorts. Even worse was having to smell the serious BO emanating form some SO members. All of my scent memories from the SO for the most part are stinky bad. :no:

Good twin

Floater
Wisened One, I went back to scents too. And yes, it was more just a dig then because I wanted too. I started wearing scents as my little rebellion.

Wisened One

Crusader
Anon: Don't do that! (have Anon wear it at Protests)!! You'll make the rest of us sick! Besides, they'll all be inside and won't be outside to take offense to it. (They'd just laugh at you, anyways).

Good Twin: LOL;) At this time, I only use some light/soft scents in my shower products and deoderant, but can't wear scent (even tried it with essential oils,etc. and still got headaches,nausea,dizzy,etc..), nor can we use scented laundry detergent/dryer sheets. We use only strictly 'free' laundry products.

Lucky, you can! I miss my 'old scent' I used to wear before I got in.....

Wisened One

Last edited:

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't like artificial scents - as in most perfumes and colognes. But I never stopped using natural scents the entire time I was in the Church. When I first went to Flag and could only use the body soap, shampoo and conditioner that was supplied in the hotel rooms - I couldn't stand it. That stuff sucked. They were the worst products I've ever used.

And before I got out, I started using Aveda Purefumes. I just didn't wear them when I went to the Church.

And I used to and still do burn some sage or incenses in my house. I'm the one that's picky about it - it never had anything to do with the Church. But I have a nose like a bloodhound - I can smell everything. But I'll take perfume or cologne over body odor any day.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
oh shit that is hysterical

we are SO using that

think excess cologne will irritate the OSA people at the protests?

I personally dislike excess cologne, but I'm willing to sacrifice for the cause!

I wouldn't go there.

You'll irritate everyone else, too.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
I can't stand perfume. I don't buy all unscented shampoos, soaps, etc. but I don't actually wear fragrances.

I generally find them obnoxious on others, especially if they overdo it.

nw2394

Scientology supresses perfume? Another hubbard thing??

Yeah, the old man was not keen on smells. I knew a guy who worked as LRH's purchaser in the UK while he was on the ship. (If LRH wanted, say, fresh Dover Sole for his dinner it would be this guys job to go buy it absolutely fresh from the harbour, have it packed in ice and flown out to the Med).

Anyway, the story ran that the old man wanted lino on the floor of his research room that didn't smell. Well, I don't know if you've ever bought linoleum - it is a bit out of fashion these days even though I think you can still get it - but anyway - it smells when new. Every purchasing officer everywhere had been asked to supply some and got busted when the lino was sent to the ship and it smelt. My mate was able to get some stuff that almost had no smell and he sent it out to the ship with strict orders that it was to be hung out in the sun for several hours before it was to be laid. Apparently it passed the test.

My mate had a tendency to be a bit of a bullshitter - but the story fits with what I've heard of how fastidious the old man could be over things like his washing and such like.

Nick