What's new

Amnesties? Um, no.

ethercat

Cat in flight
There seems to be the perception, accompanied by rumors, that with the changing of admins on ESMB, may come amnesties for those previously banned. Personally, I don't understand why this is, since Mick and I have both said that during the transition, we won't be changing anything.

I will state further, that although some change is inevitable at some time because times and things do change, sometimes things we cannot control, we do not have any changes planned, either for the immediate future, or for when Emma is no longer here on a regular basis.

So for those banned people who may be holding out hope of amnesty, let me state specifically that we are not considering any amnesties at this point.

If, at some time in the future, our plans with regard to amnesties do change, any consideration for specific amnesties will be based on those people's activities and behaviors on the internet at large, so those who may wish to be considered IF and when we might change our plans would do well to proceed with the goals we should all have in common - ending the abuses by the "Church" of Scientology, helping those who need help in adapting to life outside of the cult, and raising awareness in society at large of how the "church" and other cults operate. But do it because it's the right thing to do, not because you hope it will get you amnesty on ESMB.

palehorse

Patron
Um, would it be appropriate to provide us newbies to the history behind this statement, or are we better off remaing clueless?

anondelmundial

Patron with Honors
I'm having some trouble understanding this statement:

"If, at some time in the future, our plans with regard to amnesties do change, any consideration for specific amnesties will be based on those people's activities and behaviors on the internet at large"

Surely, you don't intend to monitor the "internet at large"?

WTF does this mean? It is completely ambiguous!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Um, would it be appropriate to provide us newbies to the history behind this statement, or are we better off remaing clueless?

There is a lot of history, you will find old threads around the place on various disputes if you are interested. There are times when it wasn't pretty and arguments and flame wars only detract from the purpose of ESMB. I don't see a reason to revive any of it.

I agree with Ethercat - "the goals we should all have in common - ending the abuses by the "Church" of Scientology, helping those who need help in adapting to life outside of the cult, and raising awareness in society at large of how the "church" and other cults operate."

ethercat

Cat in flight

palehorse, I'm sure others can give a more detailed history than I can, but the short version is this:

Some people made a lot of trouble here for Emma, caused a lot of bad feelings and drama on the forum, and were banned for it.

There are mentions elsewhere of possible amnesties, that is unbanning, for the banned people.

It is not something we (that is, Mick and I) are considering at this point, so it's best for those people to know that right up front, instead of them speculating and spreading rumors.

By the way, remaining clueless is something I would never advocate for anyone, although sometimes, some things are just useless knowledge and may not be worth one's time to find out. Your time, your decision.

Gadfly

Crusader
Hey, just follow the Tech!

ESMB is in POWER.

Don't change anything! (The formula for a Power Condition)

:biggrin:

And, if you DO ever grant an amnesty, be sure to require FULL O/W write-ups (with F/N at examiner) from all concerned, and a minimum of 50 hours of Sec Checking by at least a Cl VIII auditor able to make a meter read! Lord knows, we have to keep ESMB "standard". :hysterical:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

"If, at some time in the future, our plans with regard to amnesties do change, any consideration for specific amnesties will be based on those people's activities and behaviors on the internet at large"

I suspect it could mean things like not starting closed Facebook groups to attack Emma, as has happened.

ethercat

Cat in flight

No, I don't intend to monitor the whole internet, but our super sekrit spies will do it and report back to us.

Just kidding above, if you didn't get that, but you don't think Mick and I are completely oblivious to the rest of the critic community, do you?

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Possible solution.

MESSAGE TO ALL BANNED TERMINALS

In order to make up the damage you have done, your amends project is to bring back the
[STRIKE]broom[/STRIKE] e-meter of the [STRIKE]wicked with of the west[/STRIKE] COB.​

:giggle:

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
... But do it because it's the right thing to do, not because you hope it will get you amnesty on ESMB.

:dieslaughing:

I vote that if they do do such things JUST to get unbanned that they get priority service in being unbanned. :yes:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Just a silly note on this.

I have friends who are here on ESMB and also who have been banned (self-ban or otherwise).

I never thought it had anything to do with Emma or how ESMB is run.

It seems that if anyone really wanted to they could get banned or unbanned.

So it is really in the hands of the banee, ain't it?

I mean, even in kindergarten, didn't the report cards have one section that graded kids on: PLAYS WELL WITH OTHERS ?

Party on, ESMB!

:dieslaughing:

I vote that if they do do such things JUST to get unbanned that they get priority service in being unbanned. :yes:

yeah, we could have 6 month sec checks:
"Have you ever done things on the internet to get unbanned".
If they are really bad SPs, we could ramp up the torture by asking the question in enturbulating ways:
"Isn't it true that it's not the case that contrary to what some have rumoured about what you did not really intend, vs what you did intend, on the internet, your
needle would be filthy dirty and rock slam wildly?". Gang Bang style. If they get a FN, keep them banned, cos only an SP would not go spinny on that.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
yeah, we could have 6 month sec checks:
"Have you ever done things on the internet to get unbanned".
If they are really bad SPs, we could ramp up the torture by asking the question in enturbulating ways:
"Isn't it true that it's not the case that contrary to what some have rumoured about what you did not really intend, vs what you did intend, on the internet, your
needle would be filthy dirty and rock slam wildly?". Gang Bang style. If they get a FN, keep them banned, cos only an SP would not go spinny on that.

Excellent suggestion!!

Give em the woiks! My fav question: "Have you or haven't you?"

And don't take no backflash shit from them like "Have I or haven't I what? TR3!!!!

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid

Possible solution.

MESSAGE TO ALL BANNED TERMINALS

In order to make up the damage you have done, your amends project is to bring back the
[STRIKE]broom[/STRIKE] e-meter of the [STRIKE]wicked with of the west[/STRIKE] COB.​

:giggle:

Don't forget the red pumps and magic wand...and maybe some OSA monkeys... :hysterical:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I think the point is that rumors have gone around that, with Emma going, there may be a way back in. Ethercat, in addressing these rumors says in response 'don't expect there to be some kind of special wiping clean of the slate just because Emma's not running the board because we're not here to change any rules but to keep the board running the way it's been run so exs can continue to have a place to go.'

You know it's a rumor because the word Amnesty, being of special meaning to those formerly in Scientology, is a word I can't imagine Ethercat coming up with because she is not an ex scientologist. She was a victim of Scientology disconnection and is a long time critic of the church, even protesting back in the 90's and having endured personal fair game.

So she's just addressing the rumor and I'm glad she has. :thumbsup:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
The pool remains open, and most everyone rejoices :dance: :dance: :dance:

6a01053625d752970c016303d0c553970d-320wi

:party:

:cheers:

To the new Admins~ they are....
ScreenClip+%5B12%5D.png

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
If someone who was banned- or who'd asked to be banned (which has happened) - were to want to come back, the thought would be "why" and were things ironed out. If certain things are happening elsewhere then those things aren't ironed out. And if things aren't ironed out then that person and ESMB would not be a match made in heaven.