What's new

Shooting Stars

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
A small present for Face - "The Apollo Stars" and their PoS now in full length on youtube (HD):

[video=youtube;Be1Pbk8EyCo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be1Pbk8EyCo[/video]

WARNING !!! This PoS is only something for trained hardcore-listeners. But it can be used for cramming of your OT TR0. Sit down, listen and relax for 34 minutes.... if you can.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
A small present for Face - "The Apollo Stars" and their PoS now in full length on youtube (HD):

WARNING !!! This PoS is only something for trained hardcore-listeners. But it can be used for cramming of your OT TR0. Sit down, listen and relax for 34 minutes.... if you can.

WOW!! Thanks a whole bunch, uncover. Man, does this ever "wake up the echoes".:melodramatic:

Humbly tendered as a grist to Man from the Being that invented Music. :hysterical:

The CommodeDoor, resplendent in Hisself's Jazz Suite. :laugh:

Face:)

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
While being totally engaged in my "hardcore OT TR0", I forgot to ask about this part from the youtube-description:

The musick on this album was primarily imagined by L.Ron, honed to its razor sharp mediocrity aboard the Apollo. Then the musick was recorded over a period of days, recording 14 to 15 hours at a crack, directed by Hubbard. Hubbard had rented a movie theater in Portugal as the recording venue. As the Stars recorded, they were constantly badgered by Hubbard to fit their styles within the narrow confines of Hubbard's vision. He charged them a dollar for every wrong note they played (still, many wrong notes made it into the final recording). When it was over, the Stars owed Hubbard hundreds of dollars for their wrong notes. L. Ron Hubbard produced, and released it on his self-titled label.

Can this greedy behaviour of El ConOdor be confirmed ?

WOW!! Thanks a whole bunch, uncover. Man, does this ever "wake up the echoes".:melodramatic:

Humbly tendered as a grist to Man from the Being that invented Music. :hysterical:

The CommodeDoor, resplendent in Hisself's Jazz Suite. :laugh:

Actually two very contradictory things struck me in hearing it again.

1. It really is indescribably terrible.

2. There is some excellent playing going on in this ungodly mix. It's hard to distinguish because of the noise, but it is there in the way several of the instruments are being played.

My condolences to the musicians. :duh:

Mark A. Baker

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
While being totally engaged in my "hardcore OT TR0", I forgot to ask about this part from the youtube-description:

Can this greedy behaviour of El ConOdor be confirmed ?

I Posted about this a year or so ago somewhere on ESMB...perhaps on this Tread.

I was not a first person witness to the wrong note fines. However, I was told about them before the Album was released by one of the folks who's picture and name appears on the back cover and, AFAIAC, it did happen as described in your citation.

The Apollo Stars were much, much better than the record represents. The 16 Track Recorder was near studio quality and the Mixing Board first rate for "on site" recording. However, the Mics were sub standard and beat up, the venue worse than a garage and the Director/Producer/Chief Engineer a tone deaf, self adulating ignoramus amateur...a multimillionaire that would fine folks that made $10 a week a 10% of their weekly wages for ever wrong note during all night marathon "Live Take" after "Live Take".

The Stars "reward" for getting a take right? They didn't get fined and got to take a short break before the next "take".

BTW, as I Posted earlier on ESMB, Hisself also selected the photo for the Album cover, approved the the back cover layout and "graphics" and my initial reaction to the record and dust jacket was, "Holy F'n S...WTF?!"

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
I listened to the first 15 seconds of this record. I was cringing. I can hear the trumpet player playing slightly flat and sounds like he needs a good nights rest. The whole band sounds worn out and tired.

I couldn't listen to any more beyond that.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Actually two very contradictory things struck me in hearing it again.

1. It really is indescribably terrible.

2. There is some excellent playing going on in this ungodly mix. It's hard to distinguish because of the noise, but it is there in the way several of the instruments are being played.

My condolences to the musicians. :duh:

Mark A. Baker

:thumbsup:

Just why it is so terrible is the subject matter of the first 4 or 5 Installments of Shooting Stars. :yes:

Luten Taylor (Trombone) and Bill Potter (First Sax) were professional studio musicians before joining the SO...Charlie Rush (Drums), Craig Ferriera (Guitar), Tamia Arbuckle (Bass) and Neil Safarti (2nd Sax) were in working bands and some did studio work here and there when they joined the SO...Russ Meadows (Bass, Guitar and Flute) had a Masters in Music...Dan Auerbach (LRH Recording Assistant) was an accomplished amateur musician (Mandolin and 5 String Banjo) and a borderline Genius Electronics Engineer that left Grad School to be El Ron's Geek. All these men gave up their careers to "Help Ron, for the next Billion years or so". :angry:

As I've said more than once here on ESMB, the only reason I posted here in the first place was so that the Stars would not get a bum rap. I've heard all of the aforementioned jam and riff...Outstanding! :clap:

PS: Meadows also had a beautiful Lyric Opera Tenor voice. :coolwink:

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander

My god, Face, you were actually subjected to that LIVE for days! :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

We should honor you like a war veteran who caught action in few battles.

Medal for bravery and valor during
the Apollo Stars Campaign . . .
and surviving to write about it.

Antiqued-Galaxy-Lamp-of-Knowledge-Medals.jpg

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
I listened to the first 15 seconds of this record. I was cringing. I can hear the trumpet player playing slightly flat and sounds like he needs a good nights rest. The whole band sounds worn out and tired.

I couldn't listen to any more beyond that.

Wayne Marple (Trumpet) was probably the least accomplished musician of the Stars.

IIRCC, Wayne had played trumpet in high school and never professionally. I was told (by someone that was there) that, during the POS recording sessions, Wayne's sternum/stomach muscles were so sore that someone had to sit behind him so that he could prop back in the chair and keep playing. Wayne gave it his all...bleeding lips and everything. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor

backh.jpg

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
BTW, MAB...

When the POS Master Disc was being cut in Hollywood, I have it on good authority that the multiple Gold and Platinum Album and Grammy Award recipient Sound Engineer commented...amidst the screeching cacophony of Hisself's train wreck...that some of the Musicianship was actually pretty darn good and, in particular, Bill Potter and Luten Taylor could "really blow".

BTW, MAB...

When the POS Master Disc was being cut in Hollywood, I have it on good authority that the multiple Gold and Platinum Album and Grammy Award recipient Sound Engineer commented...amidst the screeching cacophony of Hisself's train wreck...that some of the Musicianship was actually pretty darn good and, in particular, Bill Potter and Luten Taylor could "really blow".

If I might be permitted to wax philosophic for a moment: this album could be seen as a metaphor for the church of scientology itself; where the mutually cooperative accomplishments of a diverse and talented mix of individuals are distorted out of any sense of proportion, balance, or harmony in a futile attempt to further the perceived private interests of a man who himself lacks the better qualities of the fellows whom he leads.

:omg: POS actually makes sense as a work of modern art! :omg:

Sad. Funny. And above all, Ironic. :)

Mark A. Baker

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
If I might be permitted to wax philosophic for a moment: this album could be seen as a metaphor for the church of scientology itself; where the mutually cooperative accomplishments of a diverse and talented mix of individuals are distorted out of any sense of proportion, balance, or harmony in a futile attempt to further the perceived private interests of a man who himself lacks the better qualities of the fellows whom he leads.

:omg: POS actually makes sense as a work of modern art! :omg:

Sad. Funny. And above all, Ironic. :)

Mark A. Baker

Yep! Right on, Bro. :thumbsup: That's pretty much why I wrote Shooting Stars. :yes: I've always viewed POS as a Genus and Tipping Point. :melodramatic: But, you're right IMO, it is also a Metaphor. :hifive:

Whatta B-R-I-L-L-A-N-T T-A-K-E, MAB. :clap: Truly a work of Modern Art. :coolwink: El Ron's ultimate "Performance Piece". :biggrin: Hisself is rolling over in Target 2.:nervous: The CommodeDoor despised Modern Art.:ohmy:

:
:
The Ron recipe. Take a whole lot of good people, some brilliant, get them to make something, fuck it up completely, and force it on humanity.

:
:
The Ron recipe. Take a whole lot of good people, some brilliant, get them to make something, fuck it up completely, and force it on humanity.

ain't that the truth...

stupid sonofabitch is partly deaf and he thinks he's a musical genius with a knack for sound engineering

reminds me of an old limerick...

there once was an artist named jeff
who was color blind palsied and deaf
when he sought to be touted
the critics all shouted
"this is art with a capital F"