What's new

Child abuse in the Sea Org

I may be a dick, but I hope that Commander Birdsong and TAJ have read this post.

i just read it XB

yes i have heard many stories...

as i have said you can't prove it by me

i saw no child abuse at all in either san francisco, cambridge, or fcdc

and fcdc i married the woman who ran the children's org, a former nun and college trained in el ed and she treated those kids RIGHT!!!

Free Being Me

Crusader
i just read it XB

yes i have heard many stories...

as i have said you can't prove it by me

i saw no child abuse at all in either san francisco, cambridge, or fcdc

and fcdc i married the woman who ran the children's org, a former nun and college trained in el ed and she treated those kids RIGHT!!!

How unfailingly OT of you.

JustSheila

Crusader
Child abuse in the Sea Org - Astra and Zoe Woodcraft

Astra Woodcraft entered the Sea Org when she was only five. Her sister, Zoe, was only two.

Astra:
From the cramped quarters of the motel room her family of five shared when they first arrived at the Flag Land Base in Clearwater, Florida, Astra was moved into a dormitory where, because Scientology would not provide a bed for her, she slept on a couch for a year. This was the beginning of Astra's life in the sub-standard and oppressive living environment that is accepted as routine to those in the Sea Organization.

Astra's affidavit covers her formative childhood and teenage years. In it she describes the poor schooling she received and the hours working at the behest of the Church of Scientology, including having to guard other members who wanted to leave. Shortly after her fifteenth birthday, Astra married a 21-year-old man on the orders of her superiors. She tells of being belittled and yelled at by other Sea Org members, including her own mother, when she refused to get an abortion after becoming pregnant at 19.

In this affidavit and in newspapers articles published in the "San Francisco Chronicle" and the "London Daily Mail," Astra boldly speaks out about all of these horrific experiences and many others inconceivable to those unfamiliar with the practices of Scientology. ."

Zoe:
Astra's 16-year-old younger sister, Zoe Woodcraft, became involved with Scientology's Sea Organization when she was just two years old. Her mother joined the Sea Org while doing services at the Flag Land Base in Clearwater, Florida, without consulting her husband Lawrence. She then insisted that he also join and that they move the entire family from England to the Scientology headquarters in Clearwater. Thus Zoe, her seven-year-old sister Astra and 15-year-old brother (who also joined the Sea Org at this time) were thrust into the regimented, controlled environment of Scientology's paramilitary Sea Organization.

In Zoe's affidavit we learn what it is really like for children raised in the Sea Org. Zoe was raised by other Sea Org members who were assigned to be nannies. Often these "nannies" were children not much older than she. Zoe was housed far from her parents in sometimes filthy, cockroach-ridden and dilapidated buildings. Her only education was from Scientology "course supervisors" with no educational qualifications other than training in the Scientology method of learning. For years she was housed at the "Cadet Org" on a remote ranch in California, where the children were completely cut off from the outside world. As Zoe put it, "This ranch was hours away from normal civilization. In the year plus that I lived there we never went into town for a field trip; never went to a movie, shopping or anything. We were totally isolated."

http://www.skeptictank.org/gen3/gen02139.htm

Astra Woodcraft's affidavit is here:

http://www.lermanet.com/scientology/AstraWoodcraftDeclaration.htm

Zoe Woodcraft's affidavit is here:

http://www.xenu-directory.net/documents/woodcraftz20010124.html

JustSheila

Crusader
Child abuse in the Sea Org - Janice Parker's Story

Janice Parker grew up in one of the children's Sea Org Scientology camps. She tells a heartbreaking story of her mother telling her she wanted to leave, then being taken away from her and never seeing her again. Janice was punished for even asking about her mother. Her father wasn't with her, as the Church of Scientology had already declared him an SP. She was offered an opportunity to live with her father but discouraged from doing so because he was a "Suppressive Person" and bad for leaving Scientology.

Janice was only five years old.

Her mother had already suicided days or weeks earlier, while the "Church" of Scientology staff member was attempting to convince her to stay there and join the Sea Org rather than live with her dad - without telling her that her mother was dead and she would never see her again.

This is her story:
So anyway my name is Janice Parker, daughter of [deleted by admin on request] ex Scientologist, now dead. One morning I got up at 5AM from the room I slept in with 3 other children and put on the itchy, bottle green uniform, ready to start cleaning the canteen for breakfast. All 12 of us started to set the tables like we did every day when I was called away to see my mother who I hadn’t seen in the past 3 weeks.

When I got into the room, I saw my mother sitting on a chair to the left behind the heavy oak door. She explained she was going to have to go away for a bit and would like me to come with her. Before my mother could finish, I was told to leave the room and head back to where the others were. That’s the last I saw of my mother.

It went on like this for a month, with me receiving various punishments for asking about my mother all the time and refusing to do work. One of these [punishments] was to get up an hour before everybody else and clean the canteen before the [other] children came to set the tables. If I was Late, they would make me wear the same uniform for a week without washing...

Read the rest of her story here: http://exscientologykids.com/janice-story/

From ExScientologykids.com, Voices in Unison

JustSheila

Crusader
Child abuse in the Sea Org - (part of) Alexander Jentsch's story

Alexander Jentsch was born into the Sea Org. Most of you know about his sad story and untimely and unnecessary young death.

For those who don't, here is part of his story, when he was just a child in the Sea Org. Alexander was only 12 years old when he was raped by a Sea Org member, and neither of his parents were even told about it.

Alexander Jentzsch was the victim of a child predator inside the Church of Scientology when he was 12 years old. The incident was covered up the Church of Scientology executives and neither the boy's father nor mother were ever told about it by the Church. Yet you can bet David Miscavige KNEW ALL ABOUT IT. He receives info on ALL potential legal liabilities. Karen only found out on July 2010 when multiple former executives from the area where Alexander was working contacted Karen and told her what had happened to her son. Here's what they said:

Witness #1:

"I was a member of the Sea Organization from August 1989 till August 2007. It was when I worked in the Office of Special Affairs Flag Land Base, that I learned about the rape of Alexander Jentzsch, then a 12 or 13 years son of Karen De La Carriere and Heber Jentzsch. I started working in OSA in January 1997 and it was during that year when I learned about the rape through my then co-worker Annie Mora, who had been

assigned to keep an eye on Alexander from the point of time he was received at the Flag Land Base.

The rape incident involved a female FSO Dept 5 staff Marie Warren, seducing Alex to have sex with her in one of the crew berthing apartments. Once this incident became known by Annie Mora she was executing the immediate handling which included making sure the knowledge of the rape isn't spreading not only inside the church but to the outside; it would have been devastating to the image of the church to have this crime become general knowledge. Another action was to transfer Alexander and Marie out of Florida to California to help cover it up from the Authorities. Needless to say Alexander´s rape was a huge flap and would be the kind of incident OSA staff would automatically deal with, hence my knowledge of it."

See more of his story here:
http://nomoreliesscn.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/sexual-abuse-permitted-in-scientology.html

(PS - I hope you all don't mind that I don't comment too much on these stories. They are so heart-breaking that it's all I can do to post them without crying. Thanks for understanding.)

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
Child abuse in the Sea Org - Maureen Bolstad

Maureen Bolstad thought she was going away to a real school to receive a legitimate education when she was conned into signing a billion year contract. Her mother was drunk when she co-signed her daughter's life away. Nothing that was promised by the recruiter was true, and Maureen was, instead, kept out of school and put to hard labor duties as a child slave for the Church of Scientology Sea Org in Clearwater, Florida:

I got involved originally when I was 14 years old. My parents were never involved....

In retrospect, I do not feel that this was correct or even legal — despite the fact that the helpful and friendly Scientology staff did help me to improve some aspects of my life at that time.

So after about a year of working part time and full time for the Steven’s Creek Mission for little to no pay, and only two counseling sessions that didn’t go all that well, I was recruited by a Sea Organization Recruiter from the Church of Scientology of Clearwater....

This Sea Organization recruiter told me that if I joined the Sea Organization, that I would get all the help I needed to finish high school and get a college education. I was even promised film school which I wanted to do...

The recruiter came to my apartment in Santa Clara and told my mother all the same things to get her to sign the parental consent form. My mother was drunk at the time and she saw my enthusiasm, was intimidated by the guy in a navy uniform and she signed the parental consent. My little brother was there and he wanted to come with me. She signed a consent form for him too. He was only 14 years old.

The recruiter had lied about all the things I would get when I joined the Sea Organization and he lied to my mother too. My little brother and I were essentially kidnapped and put on a plane to Clearwater Florida.

...Upon our arrival to Clearwater Florida, we were both put to work immediately doing laundry duty. We did this for a month. It was hard work. We also cleaned rooms. The duties assigned to us often kept us up until 4AM in the morning. We were violating child labor laws in Florida, but I did not know that and my new superiors at the Church of Scientology of Clearwater didn’t care.

For Maureen's full story, please see http://xscientologywomen.com/category/children-in-scientology/

JustSheila

Crusader
Child abuse in the Sea Org - Sharone Stainforth's Story

Sharone was raised in Scientology since she was two years old. She grew up in Scientology's Sea Org as a child and was on the ship Apollo with L Ron Hubbard. Sharone courageously spoke out about her experiences in the hopes that politicians, media and the general public will work together to stop the child abuse that still goes on at the Church of Scientology.

Here is Sharone's story, in her own words, as told at the Dublin Conference:

[video=youtube;1JUUzC31uLk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JUUzC31uLk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

hpm1999

Patron with Honors
SPEECHLESS

with nothing to add other than this: A SHOUT OF BUGGER YOU to DM and LRH (roasting in some lower level of hell me thinks or hopes).
CO$:
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

This was painful but necessary reading for me- whatever desire for my pity party regarding my time as a pub just shriveled up. For the love of GOD what is WRONG with the government of AMERICA to have not only permitted this to occur- but to have the Inland Revenue Service endorse this monstrosity with tax breaks.

I am unable to coherently express my feelings ...:melodramatic:

AnonKat

Crusader
http://members.chello.nl/mgormez/childabuse/lock-ups.html

Founder of Scientology - L. Ron Hubbard - ordered lockup of 4½ year old little boy
Transcripts and images of TV program SECRET LIVES - L. Ron Hubbard ( en Français )

He put this 4½ year old little boy - Derek Greene - into the chain locker for two days and two nights. It's a closed metal container, it's wet, it's full of water and seaweed, it smells bad. But Derek was sitting up, on the chain, in this place, on his own, in the dark, for two days and two nights... people heard him crying. That is sheer, total brutality. That is child abuse.
(View SECRET LIVES - L. Ron Hubbard in realvideo)

Founder of Scientology - L. Ron Hubbard - ordered lockup of deaf-mute girl
From the book "Messiah or Madman" by Bent Corydon

Hubbard had ordered a little girl who was a deafmute down into the chain locker sometime in 1968. Hubbard was going to cure her deaf-ness by shoving her down there! This came to my attention after she'd been there for about a week because the Master at Arms at the time, a beautiful girl, came to me and said, "John, I've got to have you come and see what's going on."

From the book "Religion Inc.: the Church of Scientology" by Stewart Lamont

McMaster remembers once being asked by the Master at Arms to come and help her, He pulled up the wedge from the chain-locker, a dank and unhealthy part of the ship into which offenders were flung without food as a punishment. Out crawled a little girl who turned out to be a deaf-mute who had been unable to write her name and had incurred the Commodore's wrath.

Affidavit of Monica Pignotti

I also witnessed a fourteen year old boy being locked up in the chain locker of the ship, where he was made to spend the night. The chain locker is a small dark space where the chain to the anchor to the ship is stored when the ship is not at anchor. The boy was being put in the chain locker by three teen-age L. Ron Hubbard messengers. I witnessed this happening several times to people, even though I never experienced it myself.

Interview with David Mayo (auf Deutsch)

The length of time for children would vary, but no one was there less than a day. The average was a week or two. Three weeks was about the maximum. Age didn't matter. The youngest kids were 5, 6 or 7. Old, young, men, women, big, little; it wouldn't matter because to Scientologists the being is ageless so you don't think in terms of how young or old someone is.

Little Mark and Tony

The four-year-old boy could no longer cry. He had been nearly 48 hours in the chain locker of the flagship _Apollo_ and his entire body was aching from his efforts to chip off rust. His knees and hands were raw with cuts and bruises. His voice was raspy from crying, and he was desperately afraid.

Keep in mind that the chain locker was a dangerous and scary place to be put in. One adult nearly was killed there. Was it no pleasure for adults, the experience for little children must have been a very traumatic one.

From the book "messiah or madman" by bent corydon

The chain locker was dangerous. Located at the very bow of the ship under the water-line. It was the place where the section of the chain not in the water was stored. When the entire chain was brought up it filled most of this comparatively small, wet, dark, and some- times rat-infested locker. The only thing that was holding the chain in the locker was what is called a devil's claw, which was located well above the locker on the deck of the ship. If someone were to kick the claw, the entire chain would be pulled at high speed out of the locker by the weight of the anchor, and anyone down in the locker could very easily get caught in the outgoing chain and be yanked to his death.

Lawrence Wollersheim interviews Jesse Prince who was 2nd in command of Scientology

Just looking at it now, those children were so under-nourished, just not whole, complete children, because L. Ron Hubbard figures barley water is better than milk. . . I've seen those children, 15 to 20 of them in a filthy room, filthy carpet, food everywhere, and playing. If one of them got out of line, they'd just lock them in a room and let them scream itself to death, or scream itself to sleep. . . They make them do what's called rocks and shows, where if they do something that they weren't told to do, they have to do sit-ups, push-ups from the cradle they are punished. From the cradle the children are punished.
(for more on Hubbard's barley water formula see the barley page)

Delphi puts sick boy in solitary confinement.
Biased Journalism Volume, December 25, 1996

The boy was locked in a small room with no TV, no entertainment and no company, for almost the entire time. He was fed and an adult came to check on him a few times during the day. . . an ethics officer, who stood by while the child talked to his mother. The message was clear, "don't you dare complain."

FLAG ORDER 1630 , 3 December 1968 by L. Ron Hubbard

If a child or these children are found in Hold l _or_ any hidden compartment of the ship they are to be locked up.

Affidavit of Tonja C. Burden
25 January 1980

On a number of occasions, I saw people placed in the 'chain lockers' of the boat on direct orders of Hubbard. These lockers were small, smelly holes, covered by grates where the chain for the anchor was stored. I saw one boy held in there for 30 nights, crying and begging to be released. He was only allowed out to clean the bilges where the sewer and refuse of the ship collected. I believe his 'crimes' were taking or using a musical instrument, I believe a flute, of someone else without permission. I also saw a young boy and a young girl thrown in the chain lockers at separate times because of romantic involvements they had with other people.

Life aboard Scientology's ship 'The Apollo' in 1968
Posting of Steve Manning 8 Mar 2000

I was twelve years old and witnessed children younger than myself being thrown into the chain locker (a room for storing the anchor while at sea) for days on end until they persuaded the ethics officer that they were not enemies. Physical abuse of children was rife.

Sister page: Children and teens and Scientology's Rehabilitation Project Force (RPF)

According to Scientology "Any law which applies to the behavior of men and women applies to children" and "A child is a man or a woman who has not attained full growth." On the basis of these direct quotes of the founder of Scientology and Dianetics, L. Ron Hubbard, it is no surprise that the harsh forced labour and self-confessions on the RPF program with its social isolation and a maximum of 6 hours of sleep per night, is also applied to children.

------------------------------------------------------------

Why can't Scientology behave like a decent organization should, caring for its youth? Why does it have to violate the Universal Declaration of Human Right in pursuit of profit?

The answer lies with their founder L. Ron Hubbard, who made his word into law for scientologists. Scientology can not change therefor, not by themselves, it would be against all that is sacred for them to abandon the twisted ideas of child abuse which emanated from Hubbard. If we want to see a change in the organization's attitude toward children then it can only come from outward pressure. Get active, write your US representative, politicians, media and inform your friends. Spread the word!

What does the Declaration has to say about these inhuman Scientology practices?

Article 5.

No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

Article 9.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

(2) No one may be compelled to belong to an association.

Article 30.

Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.

Adopted and proclaimed by General Assembly resolution 217 A (III) of 10 December 1948.

AnonKat

Crusader
http://www.spaink.net/cos/mpoulter/worst/lockers.html

Human Rights Abuse in Scientology: The Chain Lockers
Some of the most alarming allegations against L Ron Hubbard come from the time when he took to the sea with his most dedicated followers. The degree of control that this situation gave Hubbard allowed him to unleash the most degrading punishments on his subordinates, even children.

From an interview with Kima Douglas:
"The chain locker on the ship was large, lit during the day through the hole where the chain went through. There was a bucket for a toilet. I know children were put in there and kept overnight."
From an interview with David Mayo:
"They used to have people locked in the chain locker, including small children. It was very dangerous because if the anchor started to slip and start running out, it would turn a body into pulp in no time at all. I saw children locked up in the chain locker. He had a birthday party on March 13 1968; there was a woman who he ordered locked in the chain locker. During the party he had her brought out. She was filthy, covered with dirt and rust, and had not been allowed to wash or change clothes - she had been in there a week. She was pretty dirty - he brought her out to the party, he said he was giving her a reprieve and permitting her to come to the party, as if that was a nice gesture. She still wasn't allowed to wash or change, so she was brought to the party and had to stay and later she was returned [to the locker]. He said he was giving her a reprieve but it was just flaunting her degradation. It had looked like things were lightening up a little, people thought maybe things were getting better, then this happened and people were shocked and it gave us a sinister chill. She was in a dress.

From time to time, Hubbard would cancel such activities, like the chain locker, and blame it on someone else. He said that no one was to be put into the chain locker by his order or decree, and Baron Burez was an evil monster for having chain lockered people. Baron was a US crew member and went into disfavour. He would start such pronouncements with, "It has just come to my attention that..."

The length of time for children would vary, but no one was there less than a day. The average was a week or two. Three weeks was about the maximum. Age didn't matter. The youngest kids were 5, 6 or 7. Old, young, men, women, big, little; it wouldn't matter because to Scientologists the being is ageless so you don't think in terms of how young or old someone is."

[...]

"He could be capable of incredible cruelty. On the ship there was an old man on the Royal Scotman who he made push a peanut round the decks with his nose. He had to get down on his hands and knees, he had to go round the deck, quite a long distance in a race with one or two others also in trouble. The first one back got let off and the last one got a double penalty. It was really tough on this old guy, Charlie Reisdorf. The surface of the deck was very rough wood, prone to splinter, so after pushing peanuts with their noses, they all had raw, bleeding noses, leaving a trail of blood behind them. I not only saw it but the entire crew of the ship was mustered - a mandatory attendance - we were required to watch this punishment, to make an example of it for the rest of us. Reisdorf was in his late 50s probably. His two daughters were messengers, they were 11 or 12 at time and his wife was there also. It was hard to say which was worse to watch: this old guy with a bleeding nose or his wife and kids sobbing and crying at being forced to watch this. Hubbard was standing there calling the shots, yelling, "Faster, Faster!". It was indignity, degradation and breaking a person's will, and making people watch. It was disgusting."
Otto Roos
Rusty old tanks, way below in the ship, filthy bilge water, no air except via oxygen tubes, and hardly sitting height, in which "sinners" were put from 24 hours to a week, day and night, to hammer rust off the insides with Masters at Arms checking outside to hear if the hammering continued and occasional food out of a bucket. This was like the Concentration Camps from my childhood days.

Last edited:

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
I was one of those 11 year old children locked up in the chain locker, and sexually abused at aged 14. In answer to where my parents were... my father wasn't on the scene, but my mother was left in the UK whilst I was sent to the ship. When Ivis Bolger and Monica Quirino found out about my being abused, it was me who sent for a sec. check and not the person who raped me! Beggars belief, and I thank God every day that I am not involved, and that my children never have been and never will be !

-----

Let's see where this thread goes....[/QUOTE]

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
I remember both these incidents really, really well. The little boy who drowned was Sean Cronin and the little girl who got trapped in the fridge (not boy) was brought back to life by Richard Rees as far as I recall. Her father Ron Biggs was so grateful as you can imagine, but it was such a traumatic event at the time, and we were in shock for quite a long while.

AnonKat

Crusader
Thank you for speaking out vumba , This is Why (we protest)

I was one of those 11 year old children locked up in the chain locker, and sexually abused at aged 14. In answer to where my parents were... my father wasn't on the scene, but my mother was left in the UK whilst I was sent to the ship. When Ivis Bolger and Monica Quirino found out about my being abused, it was me who sent for a sec. check and not the person who raped me! Beggars belief, and I thank God every day that I am not involved, and that my children never have been and never will be !

-----

Let's see where this thread goes....