What's new

Not a Scio book, but I think might be interesting for a lot of folks here...

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
I finally got around to start reading "Wild Swans; Three Daughters of China" by Jung Chang. I have not been able to put it down and am already halfway through. I had read the entirety of Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism: A Study of 'Brainwashing' in China by Robert Lifton prior. I had been exposed to the unedited chapter that gets passed around by my cult counselor (which usually is pared down on the web), which helped tremendously, and I wanted to see the whole thing in context, since I've read critics against cult critics who cited this yelp that they were 'mis-applying' the chapter and falsely extrapolating it. I found the chapter to apply to my Scio experience, and reading the entire book did nothing to disabuse me of the idea.

This book really is amazing. Since I've started it, quite a few people have seen me in public reading it and said how much they loved it. It's the recollection and gatherings of a third generation Chinese woman whose family went through the Cultural Revolution and wars and it has just been riveting. I think what really blew me away was feeling that there were so many similarities in a lot of ways to cult-dom and between Mao and Hubbard. I know that's probably controversial, since Hubbard didn't stack the bodies up for folks to see... but, I think in one way, that was a bit more of the mindfuck--he learned from the past. If we didn't see that sort of thing, well--- is it really that bad?

Whatever your views; it really is a wonderful book.

Sorry for not finding the proper section... I'm just busy beyond right now, but wanted to share this book for others who might enjoy.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
I read this book many years ago. It is terrific! I want to re-read it now I am well out of scientology and it is in the "big pile" waiting to be read, again.

Another excellent book which resonated hard for me (cultural revolution related) was Life and Death in Shanghai, Nien Cheng. A beautiful, fierce, deeply moving memoir. As I read it, the similarities (conceptually) of the control methods used in scientology and the cultural revolution were unavoidable - and disturbing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_and_Death_in_Shanghai

TG1

Angelic Poster
Thanks to all of you for recommending this book. I've not read it and will now look for it.

Terril park

Sponsor
I finally got around to start reading "Wild Swans; Three Daughters of China" by Jung Chang. I have not been able to put it down and am already halfway through. I had read the entirety of Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism: A Study of 'Brainwashing' in China by Robert Lifton prior. I had been exposed to the unedited chapter that gets passed around by my cult counselor (which usually is pared down on the web), which helped tremendously, and I wanted to see the whole thing in context, since I've read critics against cult critics who cited this yelp that they were 'mis-applying' the chapter and falsely extrapolating it. I found the chapter to apply to my Scio experience, and reading the entire book did nothing to disabuse me of the idea.

This book really is amazing. Since I've started it, quite a few people have seen me in public reading it and said how much they loved it. It's the recollection and gatherings of a third generation Chinese woman whose family went through the Cultural Revolution and wars and it has just been riveting. I think what really blew me away was feeling that there were so many similarities in a lot of ways to cult-dom and between Mao and Hubbard. I know that's probably controversial, since Hubbard didn't stack the bodies up for folks to see... but, I think in one way, that was a bit more of the mindfuck--he learned from the past. If we didn't see that sort of thing, well--- is it really that bad?

Sorry for not finding the proper section... I'm just busy beyond right now, but wanted to share this book for others who might enjoy.

I knew Jung before she started her book and while she was writing it. She was the daughter
of the top administrators of Sechuan province and lived for a while in the same gated community as Chou en Lie. She went to what was called a Magnet School, presumably for the elite, and
that was the only education she had before doing a Ph D in linguistics at Durham. Wild Swans
is I believe the largest selling non fiction book after the bible and has been translated into 37 languages. At one point I took her to a party at London Org, and the clapping of LRH's bust did NOT go down well with her. She is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Empress Orchid by Anchee Min, is a great read too, though fiction, I believe, based on real life. I couldn't put that one down. Will Google/Amazon the book you are reading. Thanks :yes:

phenomanon

Canyon

The novels, such as "Snowflower and the Secret Fan", led me to collect the works of Lisa See. I became fascinated by the Chinese culture as described in her books. Another that I esp enjoyed was " Peony in Love".
These novels are prolly light reading when compared to "Wild Swans", but I shall see.

phenomanon

Canyon
I read this book many years ago. It is terrific! I want to re-read it now I am well out of scientology and it is in the "big pile" waiting to be read, again.

Another excellent book which resonated hard for me (cultural revolution related) was Life and Death in Shanghai, Nien Cheng. A beautiful, fierce, deeply moving memoir. As I read it, the similarities (conceptually) of the control methods used in scientology and the cultural revolution were unavoidable - and disturbing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_and_Death_in_Shanghai

O super! Another one to add to my collection on Chinese culture.

phenomanon

Canyon
Empress Orchid by Anchee Min, is a great read too, though fiction, I believe, based on real life. I couldn't put that one down. Will Google/Amazon the book you are reading. Thanks :yes:

Have you read Lisa See's " Snowflower and the Secret Fan"? It also is a novel based on real life.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
The novels, such as "Snowflower and the Secret Fan", led me to collect the works of Lisa See. I became fascinated by the Chinese culture as described in her books. Another that I esp enjoyed was " Peony in Love".
These novels are prolly light reading when compared to "Wild Swans", but I shall see.

I am a huge fan of Lisa See. "Peony in Love" is one of my favorite books. A lot of people seem to hate that book, but I was completely drawn in by it.

I have had sort of a fascination with Chinese culture since I was a child. No idea why. I remember really being struck when reading "The Good Earth" in high school. Having a picnic on The Great Wall is one of my most cherished memories. I met so many wonderful people during my short trip to China--I really hope to return one day.

I can't believe it took me this long to read "Wild Swans"--- my Mandarin teacher I had several years ago highly recommended it. Maybe I wasn't ready for it. It really is an amazing book, and I'm glad that I did post about it, since people seem to be responding so favorably.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am a huge fan of Lisa See. "Peony in Love" is one of my favorite books. A lot of people seem to hate that book, but I was completely drawn in by it.

I have had sort of a fascination with Chinese culture since I was a child. No idea why. I remember really being struck when reading "The Good Earth" in high school. Having a picnic on The Great Wall is one of my most cherished memories. I met so many wonderful people during my short trip to China--I really hope to return one day.

I can't believe it took me this long to read "Wild Swans"--- my Mandarin teacher I had several years ago highly recommended it. Maybe I wasn't ready for it. It really is an amazing book, and I'm glad that I did post about it, since people seem to be responding so favorably.

When conditions (in life) allow, wanna go to China with me? I long to go back. There are so many things I want to do there which I kind of missed because when I was living there I was so dissociated with leaving the cult mind-set. To stand on the Great Wall, free of the crap, would be such a joy!

I really really want to take a canal trip between Suzhou and Hangzhou and spend a little time in both Suzhou & Hangzhou. I lived in Suzhou for a few months and would like to hang out there and revisit a few places. If you like silk, Suzhou is a good place to go shopping. You know how to barter?

Shanghai offers a type of madness which has its own charm. I learned to love the beast. Take a walk down the back streets and experience the reality of life in a mega Chinese city. Shanghai teaches the great lesson of "the only certainty in life is change".

I never had the guts to dance in a park with the locals. Next trip I will. Oh hell, the memories are calling me back. All these years later, I miss China and her people, very much. My gratitude for all I was given in China is immense. She catalyzed me out of the cult mind-set. Life and all its ironies eh!

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
When conditions (in life) allow, wanna go to China with me? I long to go back. There are so many things I want to do there which I kind of missed because when I was living there I was so dissociated with leaving the cult mind-set. To stand on the Great Wall, free of the crap, would be such a joy!

I really really want to take a canal trip between Suzhou and Hangzhou and spend a little time in both Suzhou & Hangzhou. I lived in Suzhou for a few months and would like to hang out there and revisit a few places. If you like silk, Suzhou is a good place to go shopping. You know how to barter?

Shanghai offers a type of madness which has its own charm. I learned to love the beast. Take a walk down the back streets and experience the reality of life in a mega Chinese city. Shanghai teaches the great lesson of "the only certainty in life is change".

I never had the guts to dance in a park with the locals. Next trip I will. Oh hell, the memories are calling me back. All these years later, I miss China and her people, very much. My gratitude for all I was given in China is immense. She catalyzed me out of the cult mind-set. Life and all its ironies eh!

Wow. Sounds awesome--I'd love to go. I'm not here much lately... so just found this:)

Having a picnic on the Great Wall... that was one of the moments, that although I wasn't out of the cult, did shake me a bit--in a good way. Later, it was one of those 'wow things-- I didn't know anyone else personally who did do that, and people used to

I used to know how to barter. It's SO against my nature :). but, I had a Mandarin teacher who instilled that it was pretty much an insult not to do so--ignorance of the local culture and such. When I was there, I had sellers just smile and laugh and cut prices in shreds because I 'got indignant' and said 'too expensive!' in Mandarin with the utmost expression. They called over other sellers to show them the white girl who did this... (my teacher who was teaching me before the trip would giggle and tell me that when I spoke 'I close my eyes and I hear Chinese girl' It kinda rocked:)).

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow. Sounds awesome--I'd love to go. I'm not here much lately... so just found this:)

Having a picnic on the Great Wall... that was one of the moments, that although I wasn't out of the cult, did shake me a bit--in a good way. Later, it was one of those 'wow things-- I didn't know anyone else personally who did do that, and people used to

I used to know how to barter. It's SO against my nature :). but, I had a Mandarin teacher who instilled that it was pretty much an insult not to do so--ignorance of the local culture and such. When I was there, I had sellers just smile and laugh and cut prices in shreds because I 'got indignant' and said 'too expensive!' in Mandarin with the utmost expression. They called over other sellers to show them the white girl who did this... (my teacher who was teaching me before the trip would giggle and tell me that when I spoke 'I close my eyes and I hear Chinese girl' It kinda rocked:)).

I meant "BARGAIN" instead of barter... seems the edit function has less time allowed now?

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Along the same lines as the books previously mentioned on this thread is "To The Edge Of The Sky" by Anhua Gao.

I'm currently reading it and I can't put it down!

Check out the reviews on Amazon.

phenomanon

Canyon

I toadly agree with you about the similarities between Chairman Mao and Hubbard. More than 'similarities', really, their mindfuck was identical.

Terril park

Sponsor

She was my girlfriend while she was working with the publishers on marketing
Wild Swans. 13,000,000 sales in 13 languages.

Took her to a party in the org. Big mistake. For someone who grew up under Mao in the cultural revolution and whose parents were abused by Mao, one dieing, having us all clapping a bust of LRH didn't go down well!!