What's new

Zeig Heil.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Yeah, the information I'm giving you is only one tile in the Mosaic. I have no experience in the GDR - maybe it was different, there. I just keep my experience in mind when people talk about those days.

Merckel was up in the national organization, and that may have been a different beast from the one I was familiar with, as well.
(See Edit of my of my previous post.) :biggrin:

In one of the last bands I played with before I retired, we've had 1 Russian and 2 Ex-GDR-citizens. All about the same age and all living in West Germany for many years.

Although there were quite a few similarities, there were also significant differences in their 2 "frames of references".

From what I've heard fro their conversations, the Russian experience must have been a lot more pleasant than the GDR one. One Ex-GDR guy even said so - he's spent a few years working in Russia, so he should be able to tell, I guess.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
I've been told by someone who lives in Germany that their government is so co-dependent on the U.S. State Department & fearful of getting a negative rating in the State Department's annual Human Rights report, that they've, essentially, buried their heads in the sand, thus allowing destructive cults like Scientology & neo-Nazi groups to flourish in Germany.

"I think Angela Merkel has done next to nothing to address this problem (Neo-Nazi violence). From a politician's point of view, that is quite understandable. It's not a major electoral issue; it's not a vote winner. And Merkel is known for focusing her policies on vote maximization, so I'm not surprised."

http://www.dw.de/germany-must-wake-up-to-neo-nazi-threat/a-17100205

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
(See Edit of my of my previous post.) :biggrin:

In one of the last bands I played with before I retired, we've had 1 Russian and 2 Ex-GDR-citizens. All about the same age and all living in West Germany for many years.

Although there were quite a few similarities, there were also significant differences in their 2 "frames of references".

From what I've heard fro their conversations, the Russian experience must have been a lot more pleasant than the GDR one. One Ex-GDR guy even said so - he's spent a few years working in Russia, so he should be able to tell, I guess.

When I was at MPEI, our dorm had a lot of Cubans in it. We got together to teach the Russians baseball - North America vs Europe, until the Russians got wise and demanded some Americans and Cubans for their team.

I got to be friends with some of them. This was 1990, things were not so hot in the USSR, economically. I asked them if they were going back to Cuba after graduation. They looked at me as if I'd just told them I was a $cientologist, and said "no fucking way, we are staying here!". :yes:

Nicole

Silver Meritorious Patron
Since we're both not operating in our "own" language here, it might just be some sort of language barrier. :wink2:
Hmmm and I believed my English is getting better. Damn.:grouch:

One thing that separates Scientology from many other religions, is the fact that it definitely has a political agenda. But how much different is that from certain Islamic sub-sections?

Na, not lots, but they get observed too. :wink2:

But I wasn't talking about cults/religions, I was talking about totalitarian groups - which is a slightly different topic, IMHO.
Ich würde sagen, "der Übergang ist teilweise fließend".