What's new

James Barbour convicted of child molestation headlines Scientology religious event

guanoloco

As-Wased
Re: James Barbour convicted of child molestation headlines Scientology religious even

Isn't there a world of difference between something like an 18 year old boy who gets caught with his 15 year old girlfriend and a 40+ year old man who has sex with a 15 year old girl? I understand what you saying but I think that boys/young men who are close to the age of a teenage girl are hugely different than a grown man who could easily be her father's age.

well you have a point - but then is a 17 year old with a 50+ man any better?

A person I knew way back in my growing years was 18 and had a 15 year old girlfriend (this was in England) and he was convicted of statutory rape and did 6 months inside and was on probation for 2 more years. they did end up getting married.

Could do things like Ron. In January of 1952 he's 40 and impregnates his 18 year old student, Mary Sue, and marries her three months later when he's 41 and she's 18.

Isn't there something in the supervisor's code about 2D and students?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Re: James Barbour convicted of child molestation headlines Scientology religious even

A person I knew way back in my growing years was 18 and had a 15 year old girlfriend (this was in England) and he was convicted of statutory rape and did 6 months inside and was on probation for 2 more years. they did end up getting married.

For any that don't know, the age of consent in England is 16 (since 1885). One could argue that 15 is under 16, just as 15 is under 18, and they are the same. One could also argue differently.

Paul

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter

ANOTHER EDIT TO ADD:

The Weekly Vice: Disney Actor James Barbour Blames Child After Fondling Her Sexually
http://www.theweeklyvice.com/2008/01/disney-actor-james-barbour-blames-child.html

Excerpt:
Another Disney actor, 41 year old James Barbour has crossed all of those lines and more.

James Barbour, the actor who played 'the beast' in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" has plead guilty to two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.

Barbour, who also works as a Broadway actor met the child when she was brought back-stage to meet him following a Broadway production he was starring in. Barbour admitted it was then that he began touching the 15 year old girl sexually.

The sexual touching continued the next month when the girl visited him at his New York apartment. He admitted to the court that he had known that the girl was 15 at the time.

Barbour agreed to the charges in exchange for a reduced sentence. 60 days in jail and three years of probation. Sentencing is currently scheduled for February 29th, 2008.

By pleading guilty to the arrangement, Barbour will not have to register as a sex offender. According to his attorney Ronald P. Fischetti, "By pleading guilty to misdemeanors, he doesn't have to register, and that's important. He wouldn't have been able to travel without reporting, and he wouldn't have been able to work with children."

And Now For The Outrageous Part:

Although Barbour admitted to sexually touching a minor child that he knew was under aged, he blames the child for the entire thing.

His Attorney publicly lashed out at the child, blaming her for Barbour's legal troubles and questioning her motives. Barbour's attorney issued a statement claiming "She initiated both of these sexual encounters and then waited five years before filing a complaint against him".

Barbour, through his attorney took the blame a step further by attempting to publish the minor child's name in newspaper ads in an attempt to solicit responses from other men who might have experienced the same supposed advances from the child.

The Court of Appeal's Judge hearing the case was forced to ban Barbour from running the ads.

The Weekly Vice Reaction:

I'd like to begin my response to this story by asking you a question. How do you feel about a man who sexually gropes a child, blames the child for his actions and then readily admits his confession was offered as the quickest path to get himself back in front of children?

How do these three admitted facts square in the mind of parents who's child may someday become star struck with such actor? How do you feel about the play and movie producers who will showcase this actor to your children in the future?

Undoubtedly, most will be outraged by the very thought that this man will walk out of jail in 60 days and resume an acting career which has catered heavily towards the children he apparently now has his eyes on. But as this story will likely have a short shelf life, how will most parents in the future even know of the man's crimes - as he will not be listed as registered sex offender.

Although the very thought of a 41 year old man molesting a 15 year old girl is repulsive, the real shocker is not so much the slap on the wrist 60 day stay he'll undergo at the county jail.

Yes, the sentence falls ridiculously short of true justice when you consider the obvious lack of personal responsibility that has not been shown by the admitted molester.

The real outrage however is that this man will be completely free to resume all activities with children the moment his 60 day R & R are up. This is a pretty scary thought considering Hollywood has an established track record of returning these tainted actors to duty regardless of public concern about it.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader

That friend of yours is probably still on the sex offenders register. I don't think anyone ever gets to clear their name after many years and after being married he will still have problems in getting certain jobs.

An 18 year old with a 15 year old is naughty, but a 15 year old with 40 year old is not the same thing, and I don't think the abuse of the authority that age gives should be treated lightly. 60 days for what he did is unbelievable. He must have paid a lot to his lawyers to get away that lightly.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

That friend of yours is probably still on the sex offenders register. I don't think anyone ever gets to clear their name after many years and after being married he will still have problems in getting certain jobs.

Not true. The manner which courts treat sex offenders in the UK is much more lenient than the U.S.

"Police have removed the names after a human rights ruling, which came into effect in September last year, meant that criminals could apply to have their names removed on the grounds that they no longer posed a threat."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...offenders-secretly-removed-from-register.html

La La Lou Lou

Crusader

Not true. The manner which courts treat sex offenders in the UK is much more lenient than the U.S.

"Police have removed the names after a human rights ruling, which came into effect in September last year, meant that criminals could apply to have their names removed on the grounds that they no longer posed a threat."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...offenders-secretly-removed-from-register.html

Well I didn't know that. Out of 24000 on the register 43 have had their names cleared. The police have enough to do without monitoring the sex habits of someone now in their forties fifties or sixties who had sex with someone when they were both teenagers, and who have been clean ever since. There is paedophilia and there is teenage sex the two are not the same. There had been cases of two kids both under age who now were grown up and the guy was on the sex register decades after consensual sex between teenagers. It was statutory rape because of her age not because she was objecting, and often the boy was the same age. That to me is a waste of police time. The police are now very experienced in child molestation cases and have brought a few celebrities to justice, in the UK. We are not soft on paedophiles, big celebrity Rolf Harris is doing a 5 year sentence. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28564695 a recent campaign rounded up 600 people previously unknown to the police.

CommunicatorIC

I know people are different, and there are variations in individual maturity levels, etc., but generally, yes.

Generally speaking there is a LOT of difference between 15 year-old girls and 17 year-old girls. For the majority of girls those two years make a HUGE difference.

The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Society has determined that a man who fondles (i.e., in this case touches her vagina and has her touch his penis), and has oral sex with a 15 year-old girl who is twenty years his junior is a criminal and, to be perfectly honest, a scum sucking piece of shit.

I for one don't have any problem with that determination.

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/j/james-barbour.html

James Barbour in Scientology's Published Service Completion Lists

The following 8 individual completions for James Barbour appear in official Scientology publications:

James BarbourPURIFICATION RUNDOWNCelebrity 3572004-04-01
James BarbourBASIC STUDY MANUALCelebrity 3572004-04-01
James BarbourSCIENTOLOGY DRUG RUNDOWNCelebrity 3632004-12-01
James BarbourHAPPINESS RUNDOWN AUDITINGCelebrity 3652005-04-01
James BarbourPTS/SP CourseCelebrity 3672005-07-01
James BarbourARC STRAIGHTWIRE AUDITINGCelebrity 3672005-07-01
James BarbourGRADE 0 COMMUNICATIONS RELEASECelebrity 3702005-12-01
James BarbourHUBBARD QUALIFIED SCIENTOLOGIST COURSECelebrity 3702005-12-01

Note: The dates listed above are the approximate publication dates of the magazines, which may be weeks or months later than the actual date the service was completed.

James Barbour in Scientology's Publications

The following 1 mentions of James Barbour appear in official Scientology publications:
James BarbourHonor RollImpact 1142006-09-01

BardoThodol

Silver Meritorious Patron

Pay $150 an hour to spin the bars. Wheeeee... :biggrin:

[video=youtube;kt9i5IYix5c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt9i5IYix5c[/video]

Here in town they're only $70 for a private class. Not so bad when compared to a lot of private lessons.

Was looking at YouTube. Juliu Hovath is in pretty good shape for someone born in 1942. Very fluid body movements.

Think I'll look into this.

Out4long

Patron

If this teen age girl had had a REAL father, Barbour would have spent more time in a hospital than he ended up spending in jail... :angry:

La La Lou Lou

Crusader

If this teen age girl had had a REAL father, Barbour would have spent more time in a hospital than he ended up spending in jail... :angry:

If the father had put the man in hospital he would himself be in prison for GBH, the child would have no father and so would be unprotected from further abuse from any randy grunt, not a good outcome in my books.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

Here in town they're only $70 for a private class. Not so bad when compared to a lot of private lessons. Was looking at YouTube. Juliu Hovath is in pretty good shape for someone born in 1942. Very fluid body movements.

It's a form of Pilates which is the craze among young people & celebs here in La-La Land. http://www.corestrengthwichita.com/optimal_athletic_Performance.htm

Out4long

Patron

If the father had put the man in hospital he would himself be in prison for GBH, the child would have no father and so would be unprotected from further abuse from any randy grunt, not a good outcome in my books.

Who would be stupid enough to do it personally in NYC when you can hire someone for about 10 C notes? Seriously, I'm talking about a father with an IQ > a cricket. :duh:

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

Who would be stupid enough to do it personally in NYC when you can hire someone for about 10 C notes? Seriously, I'm talking about a father with an IQ > a cricket. :duh:

As we were not there & don't know the full scope of what happened, it would be silly to call the father weak. There is alot about the Barbour case that the public doesn't know. Was there a civil settlement between the parents & Barbour? He was a big Broadway celebrity at the time. A civil lawsuit would have made all the NY newspapers. Alot was done behind closed doors.

I suspect Barbour paid handsomely for his crime & a gag agreement was in place. The victim has never talked to the media about what occurred. Sadly, these kind of statutory crimes, involving wide-eyed aspiring actresses (and actors) occurs all the time. Because of the bad exposure they bring, celebs are quick to brush them under the rug with quiet cash settlements.

This speaks volumes: "The now-20-year-old woman, who is working in the theater, came forward only recently – just within the five-year statute of limitations."

http://missingexploited.com/2006/12...criminal-sex-acts-sexual-abuse-against-a-teen

Did James Barbour commit a crime? Yes. Did he blame the victim? Yes. But, it sounds like, given the leniency in sentencing & the fact that Barbour didn't have to register as a sex offender, that the victim's parents & Barbour share some accountability for the sequence of events that led up to the charges.

Why did the parents wait almost 5 years to call the police?

Out4long

Patron

As we were not there & don't know the full scope of what happened, it would be silly to call the father weak.

He plead to specific, detailed crimes. Those are enough for me to have had him put in the hospital (if it was my daughter) for a few months. Her father isn't worth his weight in raw sewage.

I've NEVER killed or seriously injured a man who didn't need it. I'm real particular 'bout that.

He plead to specific, detailed crimes. Those are enough for me to have had him put in the hospital (if it was my daughter) for a few months. Her father isn't worth his weight in raw sewage.

I've NEVER killed or seriously injured a man who didn't need it. I'm real particular 'bout that.

Are you promoting voi a lence?

La La Lou Lou

Crusader

I know I'm naive, but I thought that was what the police and justice chaps were for. Anyway once in prison just let the other prisoners know why he is there, and save the money.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

You're entitled to your opinion, but if the father had gone after Barbour & physically attacked him, he would have found himself behind bars with a criminal record. As a paralegal, I can tell you that if a quiet civil settlement had been reached between Barbour & the parents, it would not have happened if the father attacked Barbour.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Out4long

Patron

I haven't been around scn'ers in years. I had forgotten about the go easy attitude towards child molesters & abusers that pervades people who still practice the subject. :sorry:

Out4long

Patron

You're entitled to your opinion,

Not my opinion. Read the court transcripts. He plead guilty to what he did. It is no more my opinion than it is that the sun was shining on my house today.