What's new

Hubbard vindicated . . . hold on to your emeters!

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
. . .
Plants Can Tell When They’re Being Eaten

"Eating a leaf off a plant may not kill it, but that doesn't mean the plant likes it.
The newest study to examine the intelligence (or at least behavior) of plants finds
that plants can tell when they're being eaten -- and send out defenses to stop it
from happening."

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/10/plants-can-tell-theyre-eaten/

I like!

Plants be smart! It's an IQ thing. Too bad Scientologists can't tell when they are being eaten (or beaten).

Wait a freaky second, why are you reading "Modern Farmer"? LOL

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
What's wrong with Modern Farmer? :confused2:

Face:)

PS: At least its' readers know that food doesn't come from the grocery store.:stickpoke:

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
Does the article distinguish between (im)-"plants" and their "fruits" ? I mean, as far as I can determine Hubbard is torturing a fruit.

Now if the fruits can tell when they will be eaten on their own, than an apple on the ground is an own entity - like a Body Thetan.

Now if this is true, then this would apply to the brown piece of sh** I saw today in the morning in the toilet too.

Now if this piece of sh** is an entity similar to a BT, then this would mean the Hubbys theories about BT´s (and other stuff) is nothing else than a big piece of sh**.

Got it ? :coolwink:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I'm not a scientist myself, but I get the impression that any 'real' scientist seeing this image would have laughed their ass off!

attachment.php

HelluvaHoax!

What's wrong with Modern Farmer? :confused2:

Nuthin' I tell ya, nuthin!

Jus' that, well, seeing Ilove2lurk lurking on "Modern Farmer" is kinda like if I linked an article I read in "Custom Tractor Magazine", a publication dedicated to pimping out farm equipment. (me bein' a city slicker and all, knowhatimean? lol)

yeah, okay so i made up 'Custom Tractor Magazine' but who ya gonna send a KR to? LOL

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm not a scientist myself, but I get the impression that any 'real' scientist seeing this image would have laughed their ass off!

attachment.php

Especially when they recognize, that El Con Hubris cannot see what the meter is displaying....

But ..... maybe the tomato is sec checking him ?:

"Do you have any evil purpose against tomatoes ?" (rockslam)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Plants Can Tell When They’re Being Eaten

<snip>

Yeah, yeah, old hat. These scientists should replicate some of Cleve Backster's experiments. In his book Primary Perception he starts off:

My whole fascinating experience started on February 2, 1966 around seven o’clock in the morning when I was taking a coffee break after working in the polygraph lab all night. While watering the two lab plants, I wondered if it would be possible to measure the rate at which water rose in one of the plants from the root area into the leaf. I was particularly curious about the dracaena plant because of its long trunk and long leaves. Because of the polygraph examiner school I directed, there were plenty of polygraphs on hand. The polygraph records apparent electrical resistance changes in the skin. (…)

(…) The plant leaf resistance fortunately fell within the 250,000 OHMS instrumentation range and remained balanced within the GSR circuitry for the 56 minutes that followed. (…) I immersed the end of a leaf, that was neighboring the electroded leaf, into a cup of hot coffee. There was no noticeable chart reaction, and there was a continuing downward tracing trend. With a human, this downward trend would indicate fatigue or boredom. Then, after about fourteen minutes of elapsed chart time, I had this thought: As the ultimate plant threat, I would get a match and burn the plant’s eletroded leaf.

At that time, the plant was about fifteen feet away from where I was standing and the polygraph equipment was about five feet away. The only new thing that occurred was this thought. It was early in the morning and no other peson was in the laboratory. My thought and intent was: “I’m going to burn that leaf!” The very moment the imagery of burning that leaf entered my mind, the polygraph recording pen moved rapidly to the top of the chart! No words were spoken, no touching the plant, no lighting of matches, just my clear intention to burn the leaf. The plant recording showed dramatic excitation. To me this was a powerful, high quality observation.​

I bought the book back in 2004. I don't still have it.

These experiments are quite hard to replicate, by the way, as the readings are influenced by the plant's (or other organism's) environment, including the thoughts and emotional reactions of the experimenters if they are doing the experiment hands-on and not via automated machinery.

Paul

myrklix

Patron with Honors
Hmm... Similar to the tree with its dropped apple it seem that turd in the toilet was your dropped fruit. :yes: I guess it was ripe.

Does the article distinguish between (im)-"plants" and their "fruits" ? I mean, as far as I can determine Hubbard is torturing a fruit.

Now if the fruits can tell when they will be eaten on their own, than an apple on the ground is an own entity - like a Body Thetan.

Now if this is true, then this would apply to the brown piece of sh** I saw today in the morning in the toilet too.

Now if this piece of sh** is an entity similar to a BT, then this would mean the Hubbys theories about BT´s (and other stuff) is nothing else than a big piece of sh**.

Got it ? :coolwink:

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
I hate to say it but plants have terrible defenses then. They should take a page from lions or bears if they are serious about not wanting to be eaten.

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
Jus' that, well, seeing Ilove2lurk lurking on "Modern Farmer" is kinda like . . .
Well Face, HH has probably got me pegged as a wine and cheese nibbling,
champagne swilling, big city fashionista . . . so I definitely see the irony there. :coolwink:

:hysterical:

*pretty much spot on

RogerB

Crusader
Yes . . . I used to really upset my vegetarian friends with that one! :biggrin:

But that's the mean streak in me! :whistling:

The vegie types I ran with in my day were all into it from the "kindness" to other life forms point of view/philosophy.

Some really did get perplexed when I told them the plants felt it! :melodramatic: :p

Umm, come to think of it, Ilove2lurk . . . do you think it possible your hair goes into conniptions when you threaten to cut it????

R

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well Face, HH has probably got me pegged as a wine and cheese nibbling,
champagne swilling, big city fashionista . . . so I definitely see the irony there. :coolwink:

*pretty much spot on

Well.:melodramatic:

I'm not a complete redneck ya know, Mr. Goochy Britches. I like a half gallon of Mogan David now and then with Velveeta cheese nachos or a quart or two of "Jack Bonnet" Cold Duck with jack cheese and bacon jalapeno poppers and, next to Stockman Springs, live in the largest, most sophisticated metropolis in Buzzard Breath County and wear crease-pressed (most days clean) boot-cut Wranglers and starched two flap-pocket/button-down Resistol long sleeve cotton shirts.

Face :tease:

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Well.:melodramatic:

I'm not a complete redneck ya know, Mr. Goochy Britches. I like a half gallon of Mogan David now and then with Velveeta cheese nachos or a quart or two of Jack Bonnet Cold Duck with jack cheese and bacon jalapeno poppers and, next to Stockman Springs, live in the largest, most sophisticated metropolis in Buzzard Breath County and wear pressed (most days clean) boot cut Wranglers and starched two flap pocket/button-down Resistol long sleeve cotton shirts.

Face :tease:

ps: Here's a photo that could not ever possibly be from annnnnnny other place in the entire world than the good ole beloved USA.

redneck-wedding-3.jpg

'Mericans...gotta luv 'em!

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

ps: Here's a photo that could not ever possibly be from annnnnnny other place in the entire world than the good ole beloved USA.

redneck-wedding-3.jpg

'Mericans...gotta luv 'em!

Dammitall Double H...I'm not only never gonna share nuttin with you from my Family Photo Album again, I'm reportin' your ass to the Mods for gross misconduct and rules violations.

Uncle Bum and Aunt Billie Fern is gonna be royally PO'd.

Face:dieslaughing:

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
Plants have indeed many "senses", although they have no nervous system to process the input the way animals do - therefore, usually the intercellular communication is conducted solely by hormones. For example, root tips are able to distinguish between "downwards" and "upwards" and will always grow downwards. Seeds, sprout tips and leaves can sense brightness, they will grow towards the light and adapt the metabolism, which is in different "modes" at day and night. The root systems are receptive for many substances, including systems that allow them to verify whether the neighbor plant is a genetical "twin" or at last of the same species or simply a rival, and the plant will react with more or less expansion of the root system. Also, there is communication ongoing with the mycelium (fungi) that is in close contact with the fine roots and helps them to acquire water and minerals.

Another interesting example of plant perception and (so to say) "awareness" is that certain substances in the saliva of, for example, a caterpillor, are sensed when they are touching damaged plant tissue. It is similar to an immune reaction. The substance will trigger a series of biochemical reactions.

Whether the plant detects certain saliva (this has been discovered only recently and it doesn't have to be true for all plants), or it is simply the damaged tissue, the broken cells, exposed to the air, which alarms the system: in the presence of an animal that is eating their leaves, plants that use to produce toxins or substances that are bad for digestion or worsen the taste (bitterness), will react quite quickly by increasing their production rate. This may not take more than ten minutes or an hour. This is well tested for many different plants and their notorious parasites, including tobacco. Also, at last if the threat is massive, many species are communicating the presence of the predators - be it caterpillars or giraffes - by emitting pheromones to warn even all the trees in a considerable distance. Some plants will even start to produce substances that attract predators to feed on the vermin. :thumbsup:

Also, the apples and bananas in your kitchen or refrigerator will emitt a gas that will accelerate the ripening process - and therefore the deteriorating - of many fruits and vegetables. Therefore it is good to separate them from other fruits and vegetables. On the other hand you can make use of this effect when you, for example, bought green bananas - just put them together with several apples into a small box for a day. It has to be considered, though, that not all sorts of fruits are suitable for post-ripening, some simply will not do this after being harvested, this is a genetic peculiarity that is different between species.

Oh and yes, I mightily enjoyed the movie "Avatar". :coolwink: :hysterical: :biggrin:
:heartflower: