What's new

Martin McKendrick - Leeds late 70's Early 80's

blueeyes1302

Hello

Anyone know Martin or what became of him?

Grateful for any information.

Thanks.

Martin is unfortunately deceased (in the mid 80's, I think). He was an excellent jazz style drummer and played in our band & lived in my rented house in Leeds in the Hyde Park area for some time. He was a brilliant character & much was fun but was seemingly getting pre-disposed to 'deep-thinking' and more interested in Buddhism and if my memory serves me correct achieved and ambition to meet the Dalai Lama.
After parting company I met him again in Debenham's in Leeds in the early 80's (maybe 1982) & he told me he had been in Nottingham for a while and the next thing I heard he had hung himself from a tree in Roundhay Park in North Leeds...presuming this information given to me
was indeed correct. Martin was a super character and it is a shame that he had such a demise. What a great drummer he was!

Palimpsest

Don't Stand Me Down
Martin is unfortunately deceased (in the mid 80's, I think). He was an excellent jazz style drummer and played in our band & lived in my rented house in Leeds in the Hyde Park area for some time. He was a brilliant character & much was fun but was seemingly getting pre-disposed to 'deep-thinking' and more interested in Buddhism and if my memory serves me correct achieved and ambition to meet the Dalai Lama.
After parting company I met him again in Debenham's in Leeds in the early 80's (maybe 1982) & he told me he had been in Nottingham for a while and the next thing I heard he had hung himself from a tree in Roundhay Park in North Leeds...presuming this information given to me
was indeed correct. Martin was a super character and it is a shame that he had such a demise. What a great drummer he was!

Oh dear God what horrible news, though I can't say I'm entirely surprised. The last couple of times I bumped into Martin he was in really low spirits and had a very bleak outlook on life, still very sad to hear my worst fears confirmed.

When I first met Martin in the late 70's I believe he was drummer in a band called the Motivators, never got the chance to see him play with them however as he left to join the Sea Org, Glad to hear he fulfilled his ambition to meet the Dalai Lama, it was our mutual interest in Buddhism that started our friendship.

Although it's not the news I wished to hear I am grateful for you taking the time to respond to my post.

Macbook

Hi. It is truly interesting what you find on the internet! It is heartwarming to hear that people thought so highly of Martin. He was a remarkable man. I'd be interested to know more about how you knew him.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hi. It is truly interesting what you find on the internet! It is heartwarming to hear that people thought so highly of Martin. He was a remarkable man. I'd be interested to know more about how you knew him.

Hi there,

The person you are responding to hasn't posted here since 2012 and is unlikely to see your post. Someone else might. though.

Paul

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
It's OK, Macbook, the intention is to have this site be on the internet for many many years to come and others, like myself, will find your comment heartwarming, as well.

Welcome to ESMB!
Were you ever in Scientology, or sis you know Martin from somewhere else?

Macbook

Yes. I was in Leeds mission UK. was there for 3 yrs. started with the basic study course, then the com course finally the HQS course. Forgotten most of the people that were there at the same time. Also Martin's brother!

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Yes. I was in Leeds mission UK. was there for 3 yrs. started with the basic study course, then the com course finally the HQS course. Forgotten most of the people that were there at the same time. Also Martin's brother!

How fortunate you got out after HQS!!

Even though back then the missions tended to be fun places outside the earshot of the larger orgs and church management, indoctrination by Scientology courses and auditing occurs, no matter where on their "Bridge to Total Freedom" one finds them self.

I'm from the US and don't know Martin or his brother, but I found a couple of threads here that have comments regarding Leeds Mission. Perhaps the names mentioned may help in your recall of that time way back when :).

2008 comments on Leeds Mission staff and members, names of people you might remember.
New to board and searching for long-lost friends
http://www.forum.exscn.net/threads/new-to-board-and-searching-for-long-lost-friends.3733/page-3
2008 comment on some Leeds Mission folks known to have passed away, as mentioned in the Memorial thread
http://www.forum.exscn.net/threads/memorials-thread-rip-sad.7122/#post-128940

Macbook

Thanks again. Facinating to find this site. L.Ron and "The Modern Science Of Mental Health" is a difficult subject.

By the way, I am Martin's brother!... though re-reading what I typed, it is easy to understand the confusion. My family had its unhappy moments in East Grinstead too. Thankfully we all escaped physically, though mentally it still surfaces now and again.

Palimpsest

Don't Stand Me Down

'Interesting' indeed Macbook, as the chap below you stated I haven't posted here for over five years (haven't even lurked) But only last week I watched a Louis Theroux documentary about Scientology on BBC iPlayer, that prompted me to have a look on here (only a month after your last post ... scary)

Suppose it's also a bit weird I can still recall my password as well.

Can happily tell you about meeting Martin and my friendship with him but you may prefer if I did it via PM/email?

Drop me a message and let me know.

Palimpsest

Don't Stand Me Down
Click on username under my avatar, in the menu that pops up, click on 'Start Conversation'

I look forward to hearing from you.