What's new

Battle Of Britain - 1974

frhidden

Patron with Honors
I was at london Org in 1975 and although I missed the battle of Britain, I was always hearing about the craziness of it all. Ron Hopkins was the CO, what happened to him, I think he was declared. Apperently at staff meetings, Sibersky would order that underperformers should be arrested and then they would be locked up for a period of time. A guy called John Harry was the CO of London Day, Lesley Farrow was around, David Allington was the CS.

Hi Lawrence,

I remember when you first arrived on course in London Foundation.

FRHIDEN

kulie13

Patron
I was at St Hill in about '75 I think - after all the worst of the madness, but with the residual behaviour embedded – paranoia and stat craziness. I remember being made to do all night letter-writing sessions because apparently people don't need sleep as long as they eat at regular intervals (so we got given sandwiches at about 3 in the morning). Does anyone remember someone called possibly Bruce, he was a big guy who was in charge of a lot of this, his wife was possibly Ann and she had lost part of one arm? I remember also someone called Ira who was incredibly charismatic with piercing blue eyes (and who made me feel that he could read my thoughts), and possibly the CO at this time was Linda - she got replaced by Chris Haritou. Chris started around the same time as me but got whisked off to Flag for a mission and the next thing we knew he came back and kicked the CO into the RPF and took her place. Happy days. I worked with Antonia who was in charge of the courses until they put her in the RPF, she was really sweet and had a really plummy accent, and with an American girl called Carol, and also Sherri Rabey - she was a very wealthy Jewish New Yorker, I think, lovely person, married to Clive, and her sister was married to Mike Garson (?) who I think played with Chick Corea and Bowie. Clive Rabey's little brother married Katie, the ex of Peter Buttery. I have some trouble remembering names because I suppose I spent so many years blocking this out! I remember they kicked me out, declaring me SP because they suddenly discovered in my file that I had seen a psychiatrist in the past (written quite clearly on my documents right from the start). I was so distressed by this - I was completely indoctrinated into thinking everyone outside was a 'wog' as we so delightfully called it, and had disconnected from most of my previous friends. I found my way to London Org, and remember a lot of the folks mentioned. Jay Hurwitz was at St Hill and then in London, ditto Jan who married Dave Allington. Interestingly Jan was declared SP at one point in London, but they had to back down because Dave was their only auditor and he told them it was crap. Some time later I was also kicked out of London org as an SP (bit of a pattern here...) and although unfortunately my then husband didn't speak up for me, probably that was a big favour as I really did leave at that point (kicking and screaming - it took time to realise it was a good thing). That decision was because I left my husband, which was unethical. At this point I want to scream remembering it all! John Harry Watson do you remember me? My surname was Shimield. Sorry this is all a bit rambling, it only comes back in part.
Julie

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
Huge big welcome to you Kulie! :welcome::welcome: Lotsa names there I remember. Stick around and tell us more stories — please.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I was at St Hill in about '75 I think - after all the worst of the madness, but with the residual behaviour embedded – paranoia and stat craziness. I remember being made to do all night letter-writing sessions because apparently people don't need sleep as long as they eat at regular intervals (so we got given sandwiches at about 3 in the morning). Does anyone remember someone called possibly Bruce, he was a big guy who was in charge of a lot of this, his wife was possibly Ann and she had lost part of one arm? I remember also someone called Ira who was incredibly charismatic with piercing blue eyes (and who made me feel that he could read my thoughts), and possibly the CO at this time was Linda - she got replaced by Chris Haritou. Chris started around the same time as me but got whisked off to Flag for a mission and the next thing we knew he came back and kicked the CO into the RPF and took her place. Happy days. I worked with Antonia who was in charge of the courses until they put her in the RPF, she was really sweet and had a really plummy accent, and with an American girl called Carol, and also Sherri Rabey - she was a very wealthy Jewish New Yorker, I think, lovely person, married to Clive, and her sister was married to Mike Garson (?) who I think played with Chick Corea and Bowie. Clive Rabey's little brother married Katie, the ex of Peter Buttery. I have some trouble remembering names because I suppose I spent so many years blocking this out! I remember they kicked me out, declaring me SP because they suddenly discovered in my file that I had seen a psychiatrist in the past (written quite clearly on my documents right from the start). I was so distressed by this - I was completely indoctrinated into thinking everyone outside was a 'wog' as we so delightfully called it, and had disconnected from most of my previous friends. I found my way to London Org, and remember a lot of the folks mentioned. Jay Hurwitz was at St Hill and then in London, ditto Jan who married Dave Allington. Interestingly Jan was declared SP at one point in London, but they had to back down because Dave was their only auditor and he told them it was crap. Some time later I was also kicked out of London org as an SP (bit of a pattern here...) and although unfortunately my then husband didn't speak up for me, probably that was a big favour as I really did leave at that point (kicking and screaming - it took time to realise it was a good thing). That decision was because I left my husband, which was unethical. At this point I want to scream remembering it all! John Harry Watson do you remember me? My surname was Shimield. Sorry this is all a bit rambling, it only comes back in part.
Julie

Hi Julie,

Remember you? Maybe. Medium height, slim, long straight dark hair?
EDIT: The name Julie Kemmy comes to mind. I don't suppose you got your name wrong? :)

Names: Bruce and Ann Glushakow; Ira Chaleff; Linda Charlton at the time; Antonia Seymour at the time; Carol Beatty (also the mother of my daughter); Mike Rabey married Katie Buttery. Was Peter Hill there at that time as Director of Training? Angela Berthoud was a sup around that time too.

I was FBO in 1975, a Letter Reg in 1976-9, looking like my avatar photo at the time.

Paul

Last edited:

teadreamer

Patron
Paul, he must have been a truly confused man to have caused such tidal waves.

Honestly, I though he must have been around for months.

Did he only spread his love to Saint Hill and London or did he attack the other Orgs too?

When I walked into the Circus tent I really was hallucinating from lack of sleep and food, I saw him arriving in a Nazi open staff car. He seemed to be giving his Nuremberg address from a boxing ring.

One moment of my life I would like to relive is when he first came to London he said that we were free to go if we wanted to. I should have walked out at that moment. Never mind I walked out in the end.

Yes he came to Manchester Org and shouted and abused us to. I remember going around Manchester in the dark with the ED sticking " battle of Britain " posters up. I blew / routed out shortly afterwards.

Those were the days, yes I can racall it like it was yesterday.
I was at London org but we had the same fun, but better because we couldnt eat, no wages, all the money had to go on the fucking tent. I hallucinated from lack of sleep and food. Sometimes I sneaked out in the middle of the night and begged for money to buy bruised fruit and veg from Greek st, or a stale loaf from Schmidts delikatessen. I recall trying to cook a tin of lentils when Id managed to get some money, on a addressograph plate over a parafin stove by the light of candlewax in an old baccy tin using chalk as a wick. We were certainly going up while the world went down.

That Nazi mental projection thing is interresting my parents got dragged there, totally raw meat and that was exactly what he said.

It was Kathy Ootenbogart, in External comm, she was later on the RPF, as was I, liked her too, but not in that way. I might indeed have been the camp co-auditor you mentioned, in the Stonelands basement. I cerainly went down drains to pull out missing jewlery. I also went down a drain in stonelands, all the liquified cow shit from the farm next door had filled the drain and it was my pleasure to get in there and help the liquids flow into the pond, by the boat house. The RPF was housed at the bathouse when I arrived, earlier some blond guy I didnt know had died in the RPF or was dying and his still living body was dropped outside the infirmary with instructions to say there was no connections with $cientology. Yep they were fun days.
It was after the worst of the nightmare that I started the RPF, as a class four staff member, my recollection of the time was patchy to say the least as I was still vastly underweight and having to dig the foundations of the castle, I remember that Kathy and i found it funny that we were both starting to walk like men, from all the digging and barrow pushing.

I rememeber Nev Chamberlain, and tried to bullbait him about his Mrs when I was there. He was decidedly flat on it though, most disapointing.

dickensian

DartSmohen

Silver Meritorious Patron
Yes he came to Manchester Org and shouted and abused us to. I remember going around Manchester in the dark with the ED sticking " battle of Britain " posters up. I blew / routed out shortly afterwards.

I got asked to go to Manchester to be with him. After Manchester I travelled with him by car to Plymouth. Terry (Tours org guy) drove us.

In Plymouth org Alex made the staff stand to attention whilst the three of us went for a Chinese meal. It was really wierd.

I saw his MO's, written by Diana. Alex completely ignored them and just did his own psychotic plan.

Paul, didn't Alex attack you in his office?

I regged someone for a large donation. Alex ordered the FBO to go out and buy me a box of Havana cigars - at 8pm at night!

When he got back to Flag he was sent to LA to repeat the same. From what I gather Hubbard was not best pleased by his actions.

Dart

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Paul, didn't Alex attack you in his office?

I was summoned to see him in External Comm, just up from the solarium where I worked. He accused me of being rude to his wife, Maggie. I was just being my natural self, which wasn't much in 1974. He asked me my post, and I replied "Dir Disbursements." He snarled "Dir Disbursements WHAT?" I responded, "Dir Disbursements AOSH, SH Foundation and GOWW."

I'd been drilling TRs and wasn't going to have this Nazi throw them out, so kept my TR-0 in. He growled in disgust and pushed me backwards off balance as I couldn't step backwards with a cardboard box at my heels.

Now, I remembered that there was basically a wall of soft cardboard boxes behind me, so just gracefully sank backwards, keeping my TR-0 in on him the whole time, which was very satisfying in a no-effect-on-me-you-fucker way and he stormed out.

It was only afterwards that I realized he had wanted me to say, "Dir Disbursements, Sir!" I was still somewhat green back then.

Paul

EDIT: Whoops. I was Bills Payments Preparing Officer, not Dir Disbursements.

Last edited:
T

TheSneakster

It was only afterwards that I realized he had wanted me to say, "Dir Disbursements, Sir!" I was still somewhat green back then.

If (a) you were not Sea Org crew and (b) he was not a Right Arm Rate, then he was not entitled to any officer courtesies from you in any case per Flag Orders.

kulie13

Patron
Hi Julie,

Remember you? Maybe. Medium height, slim, long straight dark hair?
EDIT: The name Julie Kemmy comes to mind. I don't suppose you got your name wrong? :)

Names: Bruce and Ann Glushakow; Ira Chaleff; Linda Charlton at the time; Antonia Seymour at the time; Carol Beatty (also the mother of my daughter); Mike Rabey married Katie Buttery. Was Peter Hill there at that time as Director of Training? Angela Berthoud was a sup around that time too.

I was FBO in 1975, a Letter Reg in 1976-9, looking like my avatar photo at the time.

Paul
I might remember you but I'm not 100% sure I'm not mixing you up with someone else! I remember Carol well - I was slightly in awe of her, because she seemed so capable and certain about everything. You got my name right, because it was my maiden name which I have since reverted to anyway. I think you have a great memory - I also remember Angela and Peter Hill but couldn't think of their names. I can't remember what half the acronyms are - what is FBO? God, so many stories! It is like revisiting some kind of dream world to try to remember them all. I will post some more soon. Nice to hear from you! Julie

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I might remember you but I'm not 100% sure I'm not mixing you up with someone else! I remember Carol well - I was slightly in awe of her, because she seemed so capable and certain about everything. You got my name right, because it was my maiden name which I have since reverted to anyway. I think you have a great memory - I also remember Angela and Peter Hill but couldn't think of their names. I can't remember what half the acronyms are - what is FBO? God, so many stories! It is like revisiting some kind of dream world to try to remember them all. I will post some more soon. Nice to hear from you! Julie

Don't worry about not remembering me. I remember the pretty girls more than the guys. I doubt if we spoke much, and I wasn't outspoken at all. I sometimes sang loudly at all-hands, Negro spirituals and so forth, not modern stuff at all.

FBO is Flag Banking Officer.

Yeah, do post some more. Stories are always popular here.

Paul

Some time later I was also kicked out of London org as an SP (bit of a pattern here...) and although unfortunately my then husband didn't speak up for me, probably that was a big favour as I really did leave at that point (kicking and screaming - it took time to realise it was a good thing). That decision was because I left my husband, which was unethical. At this point I want to scream remembering it all! John Harry Watson do you remember me? My surname was Shimield. Sorry this is all a bit rambling, it only comes back in part.
Julie

Hi Julie, yes I remember you well and fondly. I often wondered what happened to you back then, now I know! Hope you are having a happy life.

John Harry

kulie13

Patron
Don't worry about not remembering me. I remember the pretty girls more than the guys. I doubt if we spoke much, and I wasn't outspoken at all. I sometimes sang loudly at all-hands, Negro spirituals and so forth, not modern stuff at all.

FBO is Flag Banking Officer.

Yeah, do post some more. Stories are always popular here.

Paul
I do remember Carol going out with someone for quite a long time who I thought was in finance somewhere? Would that be you, cos if so I do remember that person...did you have small metal rimmed glasses? Otherwise I'm lost, sorry. I have started remembering some other folks - do you remember Vic who was CO of SH Fdn? And his sidekick Steve who thought he was god's gift? And Robin Scott who did the kitchen stuff back at Stonelands? I've also started remembering all those wealthy young Americans who were in the Manor, with trust funds or something - I was always so jealous as I didn't have anything. I went out with someone for a while who was called Faxon Bowen III - imagine! The wealthy ones ran the shop/cafe thing as well, taunting me with food I couldn't buy. Back in the day cigarettes went up to 50p a packet, I remember that because it was an outrageously high amount and it meant I was restricted to about 2 a day and was permanently in nicotine withdrawal and trying to blag cigarettes of anyone I met. I think I got about £3 a week as a course administrator, and I was so jealous of Carol (as a course supervisor or whatever it was called) with her £10 or £12 - it seemed a fortune. I am ashamed to say I used to nick the pennies that students paid for their mimeo sheets sometimes, just to buy a cup of tea. Are you still with Carol? If so, please say hi!

kulie13

Patron
Julie did your old man and his brother run a cleaning and decorating company?

What are they doing now?

Welcome to the board!
Hi there
Yes my guy was Andy, and his brother was Robert. They worked for someone called David but I can't remember his second name. I delivered leaflets for the same company door-to-door for about 6 months. I think Jay Hurwitz was part of the company as well - or am I making that up? Unfortunately I haven't seen or heard of Andy for years - I did google his name once (a rare surname is usually good for a google) but could only find a Robert Shimield who worked for the NHS, I've no idea if it is the right person so didn't feel I had the right to bother him. Andy used to be a keen photographer, and apparently now he also writes Haiku poetry - I found his name attached to a magazine published in London, so I guess he still lives there. I'd love to know what happened to him, if anyone knows.
Did we know each other? Julie

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I do remember Carol going out with someone for quite a long time who I thought was in finance somewhere? Would that be you, cos if so I do remember that person...did you have small metal rimmed glasses?
That was David Flood. He's now a photographer in Los Angeles, still a churchie, I think.

I have started remembering some other folks - do you remember Vic who was CO of SH Fdn? And his sidekick Steve who thought he was god's gift?
Vic Lyons and Steve Kaye.

And Robin Scott who did the kitchen stuff back at Stonelands?
He got to be quite famous in Scientology circles. Google him. He's quite chatty on Facebook if you want to connect up with him there.

I think I got about £3 a week as a course administrator, and I was so jealous of Carol (as a course supervisor or whatever it was called) with her £10 or £12 - it seemed a fortune.
Yes, the training bonuses for the sups were pretty good back in the 70s when orgs actually did training.

Are you still with Carol? If so, please say hi!
No, we didn't stay together very long. She went back to northern California and I stayed in the UK. I visited her around 1982, and met her again in 2005, but haven't seen her since. The pic is from the 1982 visit.

aly1.jpg

Paul

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Kulie13.

Thanks for stuff about the Shimields, I'll have to google more.

I knew Andy and Robert and think I remember the David in the purif, can't think of his name, but it wasn't David, Miss Cabbage, he was way too tall.

We may well have met, at least in the derelict office of West One cleaners.
LLLL