What's new

Old time Scientologist in South Africa

Hello all,

I have not had the nasty experiences that most of the members seem to have had, as Scientology was just becoming evil at the time that I left it.

I read "Dianetics: The Evolution of a Science" in Astounding SF while in my final year of school in 1955, and got hooked. Then got "Science of Survival" from the library, and learned about Theta and Mest. Then met Keith Gerry who was practicing in Johannesburg at the time. He had an office in Eloff street, and close by was the office of another Scientologist, K.Cameron Gunn. I thought Scientologists must all follow a weird naming convention - L.Ron, U.Keith and K.Cameron!

Keith was a tall, blonde Scot, a very nice guy. Trained as an aeronautical engineer. He gave me a course of processing free, because the "6 levels" had just come out, and he wanted to practice them. He lent me "Scientlogy 8-80" on condition that he would have my balls if I did not return it intact. And he introduced me to "Only The Silent Hear" by Kenneth Walker, which got me interested in the teachings of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky. At that time I think all us Scientologists were squirrels, searching all over for answers, into yoga, mysticism and everything. Keith could recite the whole of Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat.

Did an HPA course in September 1956, taught by Margaret Scholtz and Jack Horner. In following years I did a B.Scn course and several refresher courses. One day in 1963 I got into an argument with a friend undergoing psycho-analysis, and suddenly realized that all my arguments against psycho-analysis also applied to my acceptance of the tenets of Scientology. So I went to HASI in Johannesburg (it had now been set up by Jack and Alison Parkhouse, much to the dismay of local Scientologists), and told them that I wanted to see some evidence. Next thing I knew was that I had been declared a "suppressive person", and all my friends were told to have nothing to do with me.

So I had to sort out my ideas. This took several years, studying science, psychology, philosophy, mysticism, etc, and I ended up the skeptic and atheist that I am now. As far as I am concerned, the title SP is the highest award you can get from Scientology. It means you have learned to think for yourself. Scientology has nothing further to offer you.

But I still feel that Scientology was a great disappointment. It offered so much, and gave nothing.

As a matter of interest, Keith Gerry went over to Saint Hill to do a D.Scn course. When he returned, he declared that Hubbard was raving mad!

Mike

ClearEyed

Patron with Honors
Hello all,

I have not had the nasty experiences that most of the members seem to have had, as Scientology was just becoming evil at the time that I left it.

I read "Dianetics: The Evolution of a Science" in Astounding SF while in my final year of school in 1955, and got hooked. Then got "Science of Survival" from the library, and learned about Theta and Mest. Then met Keith Gerry who was practicing in Johannesburg at the time. He had an office in Eloff street, and close by was the office of another Scientologist, K.Cameron Gunn. I thought Scientologists must all follow a weird naming convention - L.Ron, U.Keith and K.Cameron!

Keith was a tall, blonde Scot, a very nice guy. Trained as an aeronautical engineer. He gave me a course of processing free, because the "6 levels" had just come out, and he wanted to practice them. He lent me "Scientlogy 8-80" on condition that he would have my balls if I did not return it intact. And he introduced me to "Only The Silent Hear" by Kenneth Walker, which got me interested in the teachings of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky. At that time I think all us Scientologists were squirrels, searching all over for answers, into yoga, mysticism and everything. Keith could recite the whole of Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat.

Did an HPA course in September 1956, taught by Margaret Scholtz and Jack Horner. In following years I did a B.Scn course and several refresher courses. One day in 1963 I got into an argument with a friend undergoing psycho-analysis, and suddenly realized that all my arguments against psycho-analysis also applied to my acceptance of the tenets of Scientology. So I went to HASI in Johannesburg (it had now been set up by Jack and Alison Parkhouse, much to the dismay of local Scientologists), and told them that I wanted to see some evidence. Next thing I knew was that I had been declared a "suppressive person", and all my friends were told to have nothing to do with me.

So I had to sort out my ideas. This took several years, studying science, psychology, philosophy, mysticism, etc, and I ended up the skeptic and atheist that I am now. As far as I am concerned, the title SP is the highest award you can get from Scientology. It means you have learned to think for yourself. Scientology has nothing further to offer you.

But I still feel that Scientology was a great disappointment. It offered so much, and gave nothing.

As a matter of interest, Keith Gerry went over to Saint Hill to do a D.Scn course. When he returned, he declared that Hubbard was raving mad!

Mike

Hi, there, Mike,

Thanks for the insights about some of the early days. You were a smart one to recognize the disecrepancies when you did. I was only involved for about 6 and a half to 7 years. But it took many more years to sort out and discard all of the nonsensical indoctrination I'd received. I've heard your sentiment from others, too. One person phrased it this way: the closer you got to LRH the crazier it became until she realized it was because LRH himself was crazy.

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Hello all,

Mike
Cross-posted to WWP: https://whyweprotest.net/community/...tologist-in-south-africa-mike-holland.119031/

I don't recall him telling me why. A little later he went back to the UK, and the last I remember he was planning a trip to India to look for a guru. I don't think he ever got there. He now lives in the UK, has been publishing papers about wind noise around tall buildings, supporting a north rail link from the tunnel that bypasses London, and has nothing to do with Scientology.

When Keith published his book "Scientology: The Key to Knowledge", he was ribbed about writing his book with a pair of scissors - cutting and pasting quotes from Hubbard's books.

On the subject of books, another anecdote. Did you know that when Jack Horner wrote his introduction to Scientology, he called it "Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought". But Hubbard liked the title, and stole it. So Jack called his book "Summary of Scientology".

Mike

Last edited:

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I agree that the title of SP is the highest award they can give. I treasure my golden sheet of paper with my list of "crimes".

Welcome to the board Mike.:hattip:

Small correction. I got the name of Keith Gerry's book wrong. It was "The Key to Tomorrow", not "The Key to Knowledge". But you guys knew that, didn't you.

Mike

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
<snip>

Mike

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

This is hilarious!

Welcome to the board, Mike! Lots of interesting things to read on this site. Enjoy yourself.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
I agree that the title of SP is the highest award they can give. I treasure my golden sheet of paper with my list of "crimes".

Welcome to the board Mike.:hattip:

This is so true ThetanExterior!

When I was in - I thought the SP Declare was hardly EVER issued and was told by staff that you had to be REALLY BAD to get one. An SP was a truly evil 2.5% er.

Now that I have mine - it is an honor and a privledge to have this certificate that states I KNOW SCIENTOLOGY IS A SCAM AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO SAY SO.

It is wild how definitions can change when you have ALL THE INFORMATION, knowledge and the truth. :wink2:

Moosejewels

Patron Meritorious

When I was in - I thought the SP Declare was hardly EVER issued and was told by staff that you had to be REALLY BAD to get one. An SP was a truly evil 2.5% er.

Now that I have mine - it is an honor and a privledge to have this certificate that states I KNOW SCIENTOLOGY IS A SCAM AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO SAY SO.

It is wild how definitions can change when you have ALL THE INFORMATION, knowledge and the truth. :wink2:

I just love that the SP Declare is finally being given it's due honor . :biggrin:

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hello all,

Mike

VWD on having enough of your rational mind left: "suddenly realized that all my arguments against psycho-analysis also applied to my acceptance of the tenets of Scientology."

Oh-oh!:no: Must not sit in judgement of Scientology - a high crime to impinge some rational, good-ole critical thinking into their tech: "told them that I wanted to see some evidence" VWD!! Scientology really is the "science of lying and convincing you not to question". Scientology just makes things up so the Organization can obtain tons of money and free labor by mixing a little truth with a whole lot of lies. They get your agreement on a gradient and THAT is hypnosis. Personal Integrity is WHAT YOU HAVE MY FRIEND. Good for you. Warms the cockles of my heart to hear stories like this. :happydance:

"Next thing I knew was that I had been declared a "suppressive person"
" - DAMN - you got the Scientology EP very quickly.

What a smart and honorable person you are!! VWD - you reached the highest level to be achieved from Scientology - The Smart Person Declare.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

Like many here, I don't have my Goldenrod. In fact I only know one exists by word of mouth. Apparently they are too scared it would be on the net in a flash. Funny about that. :eyeroll:

What a smart and honorable person you are!! VWD - you reached the highest level to be achieved from Scientology - The Smart Person Declare.

Thanks for those kind words, Knows, but actually it is not that simple. Achieving SP is just the start of a long journey. Kicking out the rubbish is just the beginning, and then you have to replace it with something good, worthwhile and rational to base your life on. A healthy dose of skepticism is a good start, though.

It took me several years before I felt I had really earned my SP status, studying science, philosophy and religion, and thinking hard, until I felt I had a good basis for my life and beliefs. There are still many holes, where I can only say "I don't know", such as the nature of consciousness, how my experience can be explained by neurons firing signals at each other in my brain, why there should be something rather than nothing, and why this particular something. I shall never know the answer to these conundrums, but at least I believe I can say I have achieved a good, consistent, rational, scientific philosophy of life to live by.

Mike

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Like many here, I don't have my Goldenrod. In fact I only know one exists by word of mouth. Apparently they are too scared it would be on the net in a flash.
I still have my goldenrod. Where would be the scariest place (for the CofS) for me to post it?

I haven't got a scanner so I'd have to type it out, would that matter a great deal?

Jump

Operating teatime
I still have my goldenrod. Where would be the scariest place (for the CofS) for me to post it?

I haven't got a scanner so I'd have to type it out, would that matter a great deal?

Can you photograph it and post the pic? That can be just as good as a scanner.

strativarius

Can you photograph it and post the pic? That can be just as good as a scanner.
Yes, I could do that, but surely, if it would be damaging to the CofS in some way to post such a thing, why aren't we all forging them and flooding the net with them?

Edit: Ok, forgeries could be exposed so maybe not such a good idea.

Jump

Operating teatime
Yes, I could do that, but surely, if it would be damaging to the CofS in some way to post such a thing, why aren't we all forging them and flooding the net with them?

Because that's what they would do?

Haven't you been listening to wbm?? Tsk

strativarius

Because that's what they would do?

Haven't you been listening to wbm?? Tsk
Yes, you're quite right, a post made in haste without engaging the brain cells. See edit. But I'm sure I'm not the only one on ESMB with an ethics order declaring them, but I've not seen one here. Would it scare them as Free to shine says?

Last edited:

Jump

Operating teatime
Yes, you're quite right, a post made in haste without engaging the brain cells. See edit. But I'm sure I'm not the only one on ESMB with an ethics order declaring, them but I've not seen one here. Would it scare them as Free to shine says?

Tory sometimes puts a close-up of hers in her vids. Some others are online, famously the one where Hubbard urges his followers to shoot on sight 12 recently declared Scientologists.

Yes, I think it would be an embarrassment to them. Like, why are they so cagey about releasing them these days?

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, you're quite right, a post made in haste without engaging the brain cells. See edit. But I'm sure I'm not the only one on ESMB with an ethics order declaring, them but I've not seen one here. Would it scare them as Free to shine says?

To show that it's a valid Declare, the person would need to include their name, which I would assume most people don't want to be made public. That's why they post using a pseudonym.

I don't think it would make any difference at all to the CofS except to give them more information to target us with.