What's new

1972 French report on Scientology: can you ID anyone?

Albion

Patron with Honors
Morning all,

A few hours ago, I posted a write up of a 20-minute report on Scientology broadcast on French television back in 1972 over at Infinite Complacency.

At first I could only identify one or two people in the report -- mainly because they were named in the full report -- so I sent the two-minute clip posted at the French broadcasting archives over to Tony Ortega to see if his readers could identify them. Tony posted that yesterday and as I knew it would, the Bunker hive mind delivered. I incorporated that material into the longer write-up linked to above -- but there is still work to be done there.

In that longer piece, I have also included screen grabs of some of those interviewed in the full report, most of them French, or at least French speakers. If anyone has an idea as to who they might be, I would love to hear from you, either here, in the comments section below my article, or by email (jonnymcj [at] hotmail.com). If you want to view the full television report, you can download it from the archives for just two euros.

Jonny Jacobsen

Last edited:

Terril park

Sponsor
Morning all,

A few hours ago, I posted a write up of a 20-minute report on Scientology broadcast on French television back in 1972 over at Infinite Complacency.

At first I could only identify one or two people in the report -- mainly because they were named in the full report -- so I sent the two-minute clip posted at the French broadcasting archives over to Tony Ortega to see if his readers could identify them. Tony posted that yesterday and as I knew it would, the Bunker hive mind delivered. I incorporated that material into the longer write-up linked to above -- but there is still work to be done there.

In that longer piece, I have also included screen grabs of some of those interviewed in the full report, most of them French, or at least French speakers. If anyone has an idea as to who they might be, I would love to hear from you, either here, in the comments section below my article, or by email (jonnymcj [at] hotmail.com). If you want to view the full television report, you can download it from the archives for just two euros.

Jonny Jacobsen

Deputy for Policy Knowledge: English accent; Looks like Peter Buttery

He's mentioned here.

http://www.xenu.net/entheta/entheta/1stpersn/ajackson/1996-014.html

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
David Gaiman, Spokesman for Scientology
? (man), Commanding Officer
? (woman), Communicator
Malcolm Nieman [spelling?], Commanding Officer of the College
Peter Buttery, Deputy for Policy Knowledge
Heidi Keely, Registrar

-----

Minister: ___ Logan? (GOWW guy)
Choir, right to left:
? (but looks familiar!)
?
?
Doris Brown
Lyn Collins

Paul

Albion

Patron with Honors
Thank you both for the responses: I've had another suggestion for the Deputy of Policy Knowledge: Donat Perbohner. Are you folk sticking with Mr. Buttery? I've one or two other responses to the members of the choir too and I'll update it when I've cross-checked them.

Thanks again,

Jonny

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Thank you both for the responses: I've had another suggestion for the Deputy of Policy Knowledge: Donat Perbohner. Are you folk sticking with Mr. Buttery? I've one or two other responses to the members of the choir too and I'll update it when I've cross-checked them.

Thanks again,

Jonny

I'll stick with Peter Buttery.

Paul

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Thanks for digging this program up and explaining the history of it. What a good piece of treasure there.

I was not around in those days, much less in the UK or France but I can tell you that Jane Kember ( like Henning Heldt) is an active scientologist in the UK despite what I believe is them being referred to in the IRS agreement somewhere as those permanently banned from ever being involved with the church again because of their involvement with the illegal activities of the GO which they belonged to.

Here are some of Kember's service completions listed on the internet
http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/j/jane-kember.html

I can also tell you that these 'services' were and continue to be propaganda used to present a front to the media and new public, which FSMs are now encouraged to bring in new people to attend. That's the only way those services would be able to continue because scientologists rarely go to them unless they are bringing in a new person to introduce Scientology to them. The content of the service changed to discuss specific parts of Scientology that would presumably interest the public but I gather they continue to do them in such a way as to make it look like a church sermon.

For years it was so hard to get anyone to go to these things that they fell out of use but the powers that be above insisted they hold these services to keep the appearances up, religious cloaking as we call it.

For some reason I could not see the video posted in Tony's article. Even at the link you provide for it, I had a hard time keeping it on play button, having to keep hitting it upon the video stopping.

Keep up the good work. I hope you find all the names of those involved. Thanks for posting about this on ESMB.

Terril park

Sponsor
Thanks for digging this program up and explaining the history of it. What a good piece of treasure there.

I was not around in those days, much less in the UK or France but I can tell you that Jane Kember ( like Henning Heldt) is an active scientologist in the UK despite what I believe is them being referred to in the IRS agreement somewhere as those permanently banned from ever being involved with the church again because of their involvement with the illegal activities of the GO which they belonged to.

Here are some of Kember's service completions listed on the internet
http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/j/jane-kember.html

I can also tell you that these 'services' were and continue to be propaganda used to present a front to the media and new public, which FSMs are now encouraged to bring in new people to attend. That's the only way those services would be able to continue because scientologists rarely go to them unless they are bringing in a new person to introduce Scientology to them. The content of the service changed to discuss specific parts of Scientology that would presumably interest the public but I gather they continue to do them in such a way as to make it look like a church sermon.

For years it was so hard to get anyone to go to these things that they fell out of use but the powers that be above insisted they hold these services to keep the appearances up, religious cloaking as we call it.

For some reason I could not see the video posted in Tony's article. Even at the link you provide for it, I had a hard time keeping it on play button, having to keep hitting it upon the video stopping.

Keep up the good work. I hope you find all the names of those involved. Thanks for posting about this on ESMB.

Last I read about Jane Kember she was doing the occasional extension course and had a son/daughter still in as the main reason for still being in.
It seems to me she is very much a scientologist but has no use for DM.

She is a powerful personality. I recall OTs trembling at rebutting her comments. I was once a very junior member of the London OT committee. I recall being at the rehearsal of some event at what is or was "Stringfellows" night club and David Gaiman, directing rehearsals,
directing re Janes role " Less Lucretia Borgia ". She was an actress.

Albion

Patron with Honors
Thanks for the confirmation on Buttery: I'll see if the other camp is willing to see you and raise you!

And thanks for your information, Mary: I hadn't taken time to chase up Jane Kember, but I had a vague idea she was still in and still in circulation.

chuckbeatty

Patron with Honors
Deputy for Policy Knowledge: English accent; Looks like Peter Buttery

He's mentioned here.

http://www.xenu.net/entheta/entheta/1stpersn/ajackson/1996-014.html

He looked a little tall for Peter Buttery, who later in his Sea Org career went to Flag for training when I saw him.

I thought Peter had lighter colored hair also.

But now I recall he had streaks of gray hair, always combed long slightly over his forehead.

And now I found this to confirm my guess about his becoming Class 12:

"... Peter Buttery, Class 12 and OT8 was always sick, coughing up
phlegm and spitting it out in the trashcan, almost deaf, and late to arrive
for work...."
from http://www.xenu.net/entheta/entheta/1stpersn/ajackson/1996-014.html

Just need to dig up one of the Class 12 photos now.

Last edited:

chuckbeatty

Patron with Honors
Peter Buttery without a doubt IMO. I worked with him for a couple of years.

When I saw buttery, he started either going pematurely gray, and had like gray streaks in his hair and thus I could see how this could be a younger version of him then.

I saw him either late 1970s or early 1980s at Flag, when he came for training, I think NOTs, and then stayed for years as was typical, and then I think he even became Flag staff didn't he?

I kind of recall he somehow became a high up trained Class'd Flag auditor, did he become one of the Class 12s at Flag even, in he 1980s, early 1990s?

In which case he'll appear in some of the Flag group photos, I recall at times the Class 12s all stand together, and even some promo pieces of the Class 12s list their names in some of the years of the promo of them.

Terril park

Sponsor
He looked a little tall for Peter Buttery, who later in his Sea Org career went to Flag for training when I saw him.

I thought Peter had lighter colored hair also.

But now I recall he had streaks of gray hair, always combed long slightly over his forehead.

And now I found this to confirm my guess about his becoming Class 12:

"... Peter Buttery, Class 12 and OT8 was always sick, coughing up
phlegm and spitting it out in the trashcan, almost deaf, and late to arrive
for work...."
from http://www.xenu.net/entheta/entheta/1stpersn/ajackson/1996-014.html

Just need to dig up one of the Class 12 photos now.

I saw Peter in London 40+ years ago. He was then KOT. He definitely had dark hair. This St Hill photo makes him look skinnier than I
recall. Rice and beans? We have Paul and Strat, especially the latter identifying him.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I started having second thoughts about Peter, even got out of bed to post about it, and that was before reading the posts from Chuck.

Peter was London staff at the time, not coming on SH staff until later, 74 or so. The other peeps in the clip there are FOLOUK and GOWW*, apart from the choir. Donat Perbohner was GOWW, although I don't remember what he looked like. The Keeper of Tech and Policy Knowledge post was in the GO at the time, in the Services Bureau I think. Chuck can look that up!

So maybe it was DP. :)

Now I've read Jonny's article. The French sup could be Patrick DeLuz. The woman Master of Ceremonies is Sheila Massey-Hicks, from South Africa.

The blonde woman from the first clip is possibly Eva Marinowicz. I don't know her name before she married Eddie M. I hardly knew the FOLOUK people at all.

*EDIT: Not sure about Malcolm Nieman's org. I arrived at Saint Hill in September 1972, did a couple of months in the EPF, then came into AOSHUK in December. The CO AOSHUK was Dalene Regenass. I saw Malcolm once in the courtyard at the Stables. I don't know what post he was on when the TV crew was there. What post is "Commanding Officer of the College"? Obviously his actual post title was altered for public consumption, like the others, but what was it? Was he CO AOSHUK at the time (where a regular Class IV/V Org had/has an "Academy" a SH has a "College")? FOLOUK has a "Hubbard College of Improvement," HCI, where training was done, but it came under the 2nd Mate (Tech Sec), which I believe was Eddie Marinowicz at the time: he was the course sup while I was on the EPF.

EDIT: On Peter Buttery's hair: it was dark and worn long [70s, not surprising], but I seem to remember he sometimes had blond highlights in it. Not kidding.

Paul

Last edited:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
2nd French woman (the one recruited in Australia) has been back here for a while now - Evelyn Clarke(?) - she has been heavily associated with NarCONon Nepal and various other Asian expansion efforts.

And Peter Buttery it may be but I only remember him as a grey-haired XII C/S busted when I was at FSO for a death or three of XII PCs. That was 1988.

Albion

Patron with Honors
When I saw buttery, he started either going pematurely gray, and had like gray streaks in his hair and thus I could see how this could be a younger version of him then.

I saw him either late 1970s or early 1980s at Flag, when he came for training, I think NOTs, and then stayed for years as was typical, and then I think he even became Flag staff didn't he?

I kind of recall he somehow became a high up trained Class'd Flag auditor, did he become one of the Class 12s at Flag even, in he 1980s, early 1990s?

In which case he'll appear in some of the Flag group photos, I recall at times the Class 12s all stand together, and even some promo pieces of the Class 12s list their names in some of the years of the promo of them.

Hi Chuck, I have one or two sources equally sure it's someone called Donat Perbohner. I need to try to track down photos of one or the other of these candidates.

Perbohner I've not hard of, but Buttery of course crops up in the McPherson case as one of her case supervisers. Since Miscavige is generally thought to have intervened in the case, it might be that PB took the fall when things went wrong.

Albion

Patron with Honors
Last I read about Jane Kember she was doing the occasional extension course and had a son/daughter still in as the main reason for still being in.
It seems to me she is very much a scientologist but has no use for DM.

She is a powerful personality. I recall OTs trembling at rebutting her comments. I was once a very junior member of the London OT committee. I recall being at the rehearsal of some event at what is or was "Stringfellows" night club and David Gaiman, directing rehearsals,
directing re Janes role " Less Lucretia Borgia ". She was an actress.

So probably not much chance of an interview then!

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hi Chuck, I have one or two sources equally sure it's someone called Donat Perbohner. I need to try to track down photos of one or the other of these candidates.

Yes, a separate pic of DP would be good. If Terril hadn't already suggested Peter Buttery I don't think I would have named him. When he turns in profile in the clip it doesn't look like Peter Buttery at all. He was a C/S at Saint Hill for years around 1980 and I saw him often (sometimes with his delicious wife, Christine).

Paul

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Yes, a separate pic of DP would be good. If Terril hadn't already suggested Peter Buttery I don't think I would have named him. When he turns in profile in the clip it doesn't look like Peter Buttery at all. He was a C/S at Saint Hill for years around 1980 and I saw him often (sometimes with his delicious wife, Christine). Paul

As a matter of fact I'm beginning to have my doubts too, he looks a bit too good-looking to be the late Peter Buttery. (His first wife Katie was quite a looker as well btw).

Aamof I sent the URL of the vid to a dear friend of mine, a long-time scn'ist who worked at HSOL as well as Flag asking him to identify the individuals in the film. He could only name two, Gaiman and the second person (Aczel) I think he said - can't tell at the mo his email's on another machine. He knew Buttery v well and I'm sure he would have named him but didn't.

The more I think about it the less I think it's PB, Buttery didn't look so slim and tall and quite so snappily-dressed.

Edit: I just googled peter buttery images. This isn't him is it? Could be Peter O' Buttery.

images

Last edited: