2 Years in S.O.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by In&Out, Sep 1, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Jenyfurrr

Jenyfurrr Patron

How long ago did you leave? That's so good to hear - I can't imagine after all the sh...tuff you dealt with in the SO, how good it must've felt to know your family was that excited and willing to invest in getting you right home!

Had any of your family gotten involved w/Scientology prior to that? (If you told your story anywhere on here, I'd love to check it out!)

I'm in my 40's and I remember my dad telling me to stay FAR away whenever the volcano commercial or any of the Dianetics ads came on TV. Grew up in SoCal so I know my dad had a few friends get involved in the 70's, but none that stuck it out too long, that I'm aware of anyhow. But he had very strong opinions about CO$ and he was pretty easy going about most things.

2. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

I left in the early '80s. Part of it was missing a girl I'd left behind when I joined. A bigger part was the realization that if I stayed in much longer, it would be very hard to resume my pre Scn career. I was unhappy in the SO, so it was a case of "get out now, while you still can"

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. In&Out

In&Out Patron

When I joined SO I was very well versed on Dianetics. I had read and studied it a few times and knew more about Book 1 than most SO members. However, all the Scientology was new to me. I bought into it because LRH books helped me leave my body. In the Sea Org everything was strange. Good Grief, I signed a billion year contract on Day 1. I also knew that I would be required to adhere to a nearly impossible standard of "ethics", so I expected this. For the first couple months I felt like I was on another planet, but that's sort of what I was shooting for at the time. I wanted to be able to leave my body at will, and so did all these other people, and to accomplish this for the whole world would require a sort of dedication previously unknown to me. Even after two years, it never seemed quite "normal" to me. Most my bad experiences in Sea Org resulted from my own inability or unwillingness to adhere to this nearly impossible standard of behaviour.

That being said, the dorm smelled like farts, the food was mediocre, and my uniform was often dirty because I was at Chinese theatre for laundry time. In S.O., I did not witness any child abuse or broken families, so these things did not form a "negative experience" for me. Toward my last couple weeks I noticed a lot of familiar kids running around as if they were on the RPF or EPF. At the time, I did not know that the church was making big policy changes concerning children, and I believe these kids had been assigned to the newly formed "Cadet RPF" or some such thing. I remember being concerned about those kids, but at that time I was planning my departure and keeping my new wife was the only thing that mattered to me. Fearing I'd lose my wife was my worse time in Sea Org. I left because of it and was never hassled by the church, although I have seen videos that prove others were subjected to the Squirrel Patrol and other such things.

I did see many people get reamed out. I was several times on the receiving end, and I dished it out a couple times as well. While less than ideal, this did not constitute a "negative experience" because I expected this impossible standard of ethics. Several times I had to get signatures for the "Liability" formula. It was not embarrassing, but then again, I never got caught 'bating. I would have left the S.O. before getting signatures for THAT! Or, nowadays I guess I might borrow $2500.00 instead...

I know I'm behind on responses and I will hopefully get to them soon, although this post probably covers a lot of it. I was only in for two years so my time was much less "eventful" than many, at least as far as negativity is concerned. I was also the only Scientologist in my family, which simplifies things a bit.

Curiosity: The few times I yelled at people always made me feel bad afterward. One time I even hunted down a lady at ASHO so I could apologize. Did anyone else ever feel that way after yelling at someone?

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  4. Jenyfurrr

Jenyfurrr Patron

Hoping you were able to leave with your marriage intact! Looking forward to hearing more of your story & wonder if your seeking people out to apologize to them perhaps helped plant a seed that all the verbal abuse (yelling, etc.) wasn't ok?

5. In&Out

In&Out Patron

Yes! We stayed married for just a couple years and split up. Only yelled at people a few times and could not possibly remember their names. Never yelled at anyone in my org or anyone that I worked with regularly. Most of my "hatting" in this area was on the receiving end. Nonetheless, I hereby apologize to anyone on whom I took out my frustrations, and forgive those that did so to me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List