A Critical Analysis of Study Tech including data on Hubbard's plagiarism

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by Chris Shelton, Jul 27, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Chris Shelton

Chris Shelton Patron with Honors

Hey everyone, I'm posting this here as its own thread because I thought this video was comment-worthy here and because it was on ESMB that I read Alan Walters' information about Hubbard's plagiarism. To get the whole story on Study Tech, I tracked down Ava Berner (Chuck Berner died in 2007) and got her experience with Scientology and Hubbard's plagiarism of her and Chuck's ideas. The actual story from her was a bit different from what Alan relayed in some of the details, but the basic gist of it was correct. It's not in this video, but I will say that the Berners were not declared because Hubbard wanted to silence them about his plagiarism or to get rid of them.

Here is the video. I will be doing a whole series of videos on the basic tech of Scientology and plan on doing them in the same vein as this one. I'm interested in any feedback.

[video=youtube;9MrNQnoE6-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MrNQnoE6-M[/video]

2. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

Chris, that was a truly OUTSTANDING analysis of Hubbard's study tech!

I linked your video over on the Stupid Thread, so that the many devotees of dianetic dumbness could discover and delight in it!

Also made some comments there to avoid derailing this thread with the psych plot to sabotage Dr. Hubbard's study tech with false data and false laughter (stemming from the 4th barrier to study, J&D).

Brilliant work Chris, you are creating a most informative, entertaining & enlightening record! In fact a "cold blooded and factual account" of L. Ron Hubbard's last 75 [STRIKE]trillion[/STRIKE] years on this planet!

Keep 'em comin', man!

ps: If you ever think it is helpful, i am happy to cross-post any of the stupid thread comments here on this thread.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  3. Gib

Gib Crusader

yep, great job Chris. I did love your interview with Ava. I really loved when she said something like here is something that can help and yet Hubbard turned into a big deal. That's something I figured out as well as the two who did their secret intro into scientology, Carrie and somebody else, forget now, oh, it was Ross. They said everything was like it was so profound, every little thing, LOL

so yah, a simple idea gets turned into a big to do, well, there's money in selling lectures & courses to a captive audience as well as when the organization expands. And I do mean captive in the context of a prisoner of the mind, or Hubbard's mind.

4. cakemaker

cakemaker Patron Meritorious

Why were they declared?

5. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

1. Using dictionaries in studies is appropriate however the CofS abuses the use of dictionaries.

2. Using demo kits is silly and making clay models is a waste of time and effort. (When I taught my daughter how to ride a bicycle I did not have her do any clay demo first.)

3. However, when studying a physical item (such as an automobile automatic transmission) it is good to have a cut-away model of the guts to actually see how the Simpson planetary gear train (e.g. simple Ford C4) actually works in front of your eyes and with your hands on it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  6. Chris Shelton

I talked to her about this and have it in the full interview with her, which I will probably post on my Patreon page as a bonus for my Patreon supporters (still thinking about that). Simple answer to the question is enforced disconnection is not something they agreed with.

7. HelluvaHoax!

I don't know why.

But, I would guess it was for the "High Crime" of verbal data.[SUP]1[/SUP]

[SUP]1[/SUP] verbal data. They verbally revealed the data that Hubbard's plagiarized study tech was stolen from them.

8. Gib

Gib Crusader

I thought it was brilliant of you to actually contact and talk to Ava and provide proof during the 1960's time period. However, I might add if you talk to somebody even before Ava, and that would Robert Heinlein. He is no longer with us, but you can actually talk with Heinlein or receive his communication which was left for us all to review, why it was even before Ava and actually in the beginning of Dianetics, or the 1949/1950 time period. One only has to review the questions asked of Campbell and Hubbard by Heinlein in these actual correspondence which at the time was only letters.

9. cakemaker

cakemaker Patron Meritorious

Maybe it was herbal data[SUP]1[/SUP]

[SUP]1[/SUP] herbal data. Coming on course stoned.

10. HelluvaHoax!

LOL!

Sure, that would make an excellent choice for admin courses.

GREEN
    (on white) CRACK

LINK

11. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

Hi Chris. I liked your video - though I wished it included the Key to Life Course. Perhaps you will do one on it. While, IMO the LOC was a piece of derivative crap, I learned a lot about basic language on the KTL and I think it was one of the better courses that Hubbard dreamed up. Granted, he took issue with adjectives and adverbs and invented modifiers to replace them as is usual in his vainglorious, Hubbard has a better idea, bent. However, that aside - it was pretty good otherwise. You looked up a lot of basic words you likely learned as a child listening to others speak, and had never looked up. He had some Disney artist do the drawings which were kinda fun.

It had a crazy format, where you looked up the words in Hubbard's prescribed order so as not to get into M/Us, and you couldn't look up any words in a regular dictionary, only the included glossary which defined every single word used in the text book. You know, his usual overkill.

I believe it was supposed to supersede the Super-Literacy course, in which you looked up every word on the study tapes, including the photography and organ terminology. If I recall the study tapes in their original reel to reel form, he launched into RI's and Line Plots and GPMs, which made for interesting conversations with course sups in those pre "what does the materials state?" days of '66. In all honesty - one of the other students tried explaining that stuff to me and frankly - I was lost. It was my next course after the HAS & HQS courses - sheesh. But I digress (or self derail). I want to say I really liked hearing Ava as the high point of the video. As the Aussies at Flag would frequently say - "Good on ya, mate" for tracking her down.

BTW, my wife, takes exception with some of his punctuation rules, telling me they violated basic, widely known texts on the subject. She would know, since her business is intimately involved with the English language on a professional level.

Mimsey

12. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket Gold Meritorious Patron

FWIW, while I'm not familiar with Hubbard's punctuation rules, I do have punctuation rules of my own. If you read my posts you can see them in action. And I don't give a fig what the pointy-headed English teachers in Chicago have to say about that.

Helena

13. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

Emphasis mine (a pointy-headed English teacher made me do it).

Never begin a sentence with a conjunction ... (unless you don't give a fig).

:whistling:

14. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

Always. Break. The. Rules. And I don't give a fig. :biggrin:

Some of the best authors have been known to mangle the "rules".

But whatever you do, don't confuse its with it's. Or they're, there, and their. Or the Spelling Nazi will hunt you down and destroy you. LOL

15. Chris Shelton

I have now posted the full interview with Ava (it's about an hour long) on my Patreon account. It's accessible by those who sign up on my Patreon campaign, the first time I've ever offered "bonus content" to my supporters.