What's new

A survey for those that still have feelings for Scientology

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Re-post

I'm just trying to be concise so readers can get through a lot of posts!
As I've said before, repeatedly:

Do be courteous and quote only the part of a post that you specifically want to reply to, not automatically the whole thing.

Worst is to quote a big, long post and add just a one-word reply!

Helena, the self-appointed efficiency cop

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
"FIFY" is not exactly a play on words: it's irony. FIFY or FYT (Fixed Your Typo) do have Helena's interpretation as their literal meaning; but they are never used literally, now. They're used as Bill said, to give what the second person thinks is the real meaning of the first person's statement. The joke is to pretend that a whole bunch of (what the second person considers to be) dishonest or self-deceptive word-clowning was just an innocent typo.
That's what IMHO is for.

Helena

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
And CSWs for things like funerals and Christmas - we gotta keep that stuff!

Can we get rid of the traditional Christmas Celebration of the infamous "Beer and Cheese" party and the secret santa shit?

Any chance for a normal Christmas tree, real presents and the ole Saint Nick? Spending time with family and friends celebrating a Holiday that has been on Teegeack for many moons?

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
31) Stop concealing it in the guise of a religion, in both corporate structure and legal/tax statuses. (Run as an open non-profit)
32) Simplify the corporate structure to a single responsible entity.
33) Abolish WISE
34) Abolish CCHR
35) Abolish IAS
36) Sell all Ideal Morgues.
37) Pay all staff a living wage

None of this would result in a cleaned up Scientology - instead it would result in something different. With luck it might do some actual good. At least it might be prevented from continued harm.

And none of this begins to make up the damage this thing has done.

Can I get ALL of my money back, or is REFUND still going to remain a cuss word?

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
Please, please, please, please, please.... for the love of God, PLEASE can we keep the Chinese School lessons/drills/tech/stuff?

If it isn't fun it's not Scientology, folks!

I vote we get our own special Oat Tea Undies - like the Mormon's?

th

Jump

Operating teatime
Gosh I really like those. Sensible. Comfortable.

Cult life and comfortable under-garments. Brilliant. :eyeroll:

I wonder if they come in different colours....

I hope they're fireproof like the Mormon ones. Those purif saunas can get hot.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Look...I know no one is gonna part with "Thank You For Listening", I mean that's a foregone conclusion given, right?

But what do you guys think...may we keep "Can We Ever Be Friends"?

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
"FIFY" is not exactly a play on words: it's irony. FIFY or FYT (Fixed Your Typo) do have Helena's interpretation as their literal meaning; but they are never used literally, now. They're used as Bill said, to give what the second person thinks is the real meaning of the first person's statement. The joke is to pretend that a whole bunch of (what the second person considers to be) dishonest or self-deceptive word-clowning was just an innocent typo.
Huh?

No. "FIFY" has never meant that the second poster really "fixed" the original poster's words. Never. The "fix" was always to reverse the meaning, to argue or to simply make a joke.

I never said it was "to give what the second person thinks is the real meaning of the first person's statement"! That is completely wrong (I never said that) and completely false (that is not what "FIFY" means).

You see, now that is putting words in my mouth - I absolutely disagree with the statement that SoT has attributed to me(!)

Last edited:

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Huh?

No. "FIFY" has never meant that the second poster really "fixed" the original poster's words. Never. The "fix" was always to reverse the meaning, to argue or to simply make a joke.

I never said it was "to give what the second person thinks is the real meaning of the first person's statement"! That is completely wrong and completely false.

You see, now that is putting words in my mouth.

Somebody call me?

So, somebody fixed something somebody said that needed fixing after thinking they fixed the fix someone else fixed before someone else noticed it needed fixing and they fixed it before someone else fixed it. Right after they fixed what they thought needed fixing, so they fixed it first, or thought it was fixed before they noticed it needed to be fixed.

Think I need to let that last Scotch wear off before I get to fixing that lot up!

Well, I am after all, The_Fixer!

Jump

Operating teatime
Somebody call me?

So, somebody fixed something somebody said that needed fixing after thinking they fixed the fix someone else fixed before someone else noticed it needed fixing and they fixed it before someone else fixed it. Right after they fixed what they thought needed fixing, so they fixed it first, or thought it was fixed before they noticed it needed to be fixed.

Think I need to let that last Scotch wear off before I get to fixing that lot up!

Well, I think you fixed me there with a good fix of thoughtful fixings. Fanks!

Free Being Me

Crusader
Can we keep this as well? It's for the greatest good after all. :unsure:

"MAKE MONEY. MAKE MORE MONEY. MAKE OTHER PEOPLE PRODUCE SO AS TO MAKE MORE MONEY."
- L. Ron Hubbard, Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter, 9 March 1972, MS OEC 384

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's what IMHO is for.

Helena

actually, FIFY has been around for aeons... and pretty much most folks who have hung around on the internet for a bit (I had thought ALL folks, until this kerfuffle) get that it absolutely is the second poster's comment and showing their disagreement, a witty (at least in the eyes of the poster) comeback, or even sometimes just a slight take on the first post.

This was (just a WILD guess), more of the first use.

ETA: 'IMHO' is a whole other kettle of fish... it can be self-effacing, or freaking snarky as hell, depending.

Jump

Operating teatime
Can we keep this as well? It's for the greatest good after all. :unsure:

"MAKE MONEY. MAKE MORE MONEY. MAKE OTHER PEOPLE PRODUCE SO AS TO MAKE MORE MONEY."
- L. Ron Hubbard, Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter, 9 March 1972, MS OEC 384

I did enjoy that video of Ron Miscavige, fingertips on desk, in full SeaOrg costume, presenting that secret briefing for some new release(R).

Last edited:

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Somebody call me?

Yeah, pass me some of that Scotch... I was reading the exchange and wondering where the little comment button was for "banging head on keyboard".

ETA: :banghead: .... forgot that was there.... and I didn't want a real post, but mention Scotch and contact high? I end up talkin' :biggrin:

phenomanon

Canyon
Please stop it. That is not what "FIFY" means. Yes "FIFY" stands for "Fixed it for you" but is does not stand for "what the original writer really meant was". "FIFY" has never meant that.

"FIFY" is used when a poster quotes another post but alters it in some way. Pretty much everyone knows that if a quote is followed by "FIFY" it explicitly means the second poster has altered the first poster's words and everyone knows it is now the second poster's meaning not the original poster's meaning.

That's what "FIFY" means. "FIFY" means that the quote has now been altered to make some point that the second poster intends.

"FIFY" is, itself, sarcastic as the "fix" is, inevitably, something the original poster would not agree with. That's pretty much always the case.

No one thinks the second poster intends to "clarify" what the original poster meant. "FIFY" is often used for counterpoint, sarcastic or argumentative purposes but is never done to "put words in someone else's mouth".

If someone quotes another and changes the words without such an indication, THAT is putting words in their mouth and is really frowned upon.

That's why one uses "FIFY"! It is used to indicate that these words are NOT what the original poster wrote.

I understand that you did not know what "FIFY" really meant. Now you do. Can we be done now?

I didn't know what FIFY meant. I didn't want to appear senile by asking, so thanks for the clarification of the letters
PPl who read my posts know that I have not computer skill, so on a few occasions, even just a couple days ago, I asked for someone to post a link that I hadn't the smarts to find. They did. That FIF(M).
I've never thought it to be sarcastic or derogatory or anything but helpful. FIFY now I know! Fixed It For You! Woot