What's new

Addiction to Scientology

BardoThodol

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think as scientologists we added way too much significance to things without even realising it, and now I'm enjoying just being who I am and I don't need to understand other people, I can just enjoy them or not, it's OK now to just let whatever is going on wash over me.​

Trouble,

I think I know what you mean--about adding too much significance and just enjoying who you are and who others are.

There's a social intelligence or sensitivity that is thwarted when you put all these patterns of how you must now act around others. Or how you must be. The patterns become blinders.

EDIT ADDED: Some day I will figure out how to work the quotes so they don't look as bad. Me oh my.

Our natures shine through without all that added crap. And mostly, others respond positively to that natural self, just as that natural self is inclined to respond positively to others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

I think as scientologists we added way too much significance to things without even realising it, and now I'm enjoying just being who I am and I don't need to understand other people, I can just enjoy them or not, it's OK now to just let whatever is going on wash over me. =/QUOTE]

Trouble,

I think I know what you mean--about adding too much significance and just enjoying who you are and who others are.

There's a social intelligence or sensitivity that is thwarted when you put all these patterns of how you must now act around others. Or how you must be. The patterns become blinders.

EDIT ADDED: Some day I will figure out how to work the quotes so they don't look as bad. Me oh my.

You have a "=" instead of "[" before the "/QUOTE]" at the end. And if you want to wrap something in CENTER tags the second one needs a closing mark, a "/", in front of it, like "[/CENTRE]" (only spell it right!).

Paul​

Last edited:

BardoThodol

Good Times,

I had promised you an explanation of the post about the rider on a pale horse.

A bit of background. While in a war zone, you tend to wake up every morning wondering if it will be your last. The thought follows you around, sometimes loudly, sometimes whispering. You try not to think about it, like trying not to look down when climbing.

When I came back from Vietnam, I felt fortunate to be alive. But, at the same time, I was questioning the value of being alive. At times, I just wanted to end it. Almost everywhere I went, death seemed to be following. I know that seems melodramatic, but that's how I felt. And I'm betting Hemingway felt something similar.

The rider on a pale horse comes from the Bible--Revelations. He is death. One of the Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse. Clint Eastwood did "Pale Rider," as a nod to the concept, except Death in that movie became a protector of the downtrodden.

My memories of getting into Scientology had been stimulated here as I wondered what compelled me to become part of it in the first place. I remember reading Camus' "Myth of Sisyphus" on the bus ride into NYC when I first encountered Scientology. Camus explored the concept of endless toil which is fruitless. Sisyphus was condemned to endlessly roll a large rock up a hill or mountain, only to watch it tumble down, forcing him to start again.

Much like normal life can seem.

Thus the carrying of stones up the hill to make a cairn.

A cairn is a pile of stones marking a grave or serving as a memorial. I did a portmanteau of those concepts because in the end, in his own way, Death is watching and we will all be carried away on his horse.

So, is life meaningless? Are we struggling for naught? Are we merely piling up stones that will mark our grave? Or do we contribute something that is ultimately valuable?

I prefer to think life has meaning and that we can make valuable contributions.

Though "clearing the planet" has become anathema, I don't know that it's such a bad concept. I still believe in our stewardship of this world and our obligation to provide our children with something valuable.

ps: yes, I know I promised brevity, however...

Good Times,

I had promised you an explanation of the post about the rider on a pale horse.

A bit of background. While in a war zone, you tend to wake up every morning wondering if it will be your last. The thought follows you around, sometimes loudly, sometimes whispering. You try not to think about it, like trying not to look down when climbing.

When I came back from Vietnam, I felt fortunate to be alive. But, at the same time, I was questioning the value of being alive. At times, I just wanted to end it. Almost everywhere I went, death seemed to be following. I know that seems melodramatic, but that's how I felt. And I'm betting Hemingway felt something similar.

The rider on a pale horse comes from the Bible--Revelations. He is death. One of the Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse. Clint Eastwood did "Pale Rider," as a nod to the concept, except Death in that movie became a protector of the downtrodden.

My memories of getting into Scientology had been stimulated here as I wondered what compelled me to become part of it in the first place. I remember reading Camus' "Myth of Sisyphus" on the bus ride into NYC when I first encountered Scientology. Camus explored the concept of endless toil which is fruitless. Sisyphus was condemned to endlessly roll a large rock up a hill or mountain, only to watch it tumble down, forcing him to start again.

Much like normal life can seem.

Thus the carrying of stones up the hill to make a cairn.

A cairn is a pile of stones marking a grave or serving as a memorial. I did a portmanteau of those concepts because in the end, in his own way, Death is watching and we will all be carried away on his horse.

So, is life meaningless? Are we struggling for naught? Are we merely piling up stones that will mark our grave? Or do we contribute something that is ultimately valuable?

I prefer to think life has meaning and that we can make valuable contributions.

Though "clearing the planet" has become anathema, I don't know that it's such a bad concept. I still believe in our stewardship of this world and our obligation to provide our children with something valuable.

ps: yes, I know I promised brevity, however...

wow....

sisyphus eh?

on your way into scientology?

there's a "typewriter in the sky" vignette

with the keys being pounded by a far better author than hubbard

is life meaningless? personally i think not but "even if life is meaningless you still must live as though your life and your sanity depend on how you live because they do" as deropp observes

BardoThodol

wow....

sisyphus eh?

on your way into scientology?

there's a "typewriter in the sky" vignette

with the keys being pounded by a far better author than hubbard

is life meaningless? personally i think not but "even if life is meaningless you still must live as though your life and your sanity depend on how you live because they do" as deropp observes

PAUL, Thanks.

Cali, Are you English?

Birdie,

I had to look up the plot to Typewriter in The Sky. You've got a creative mind, dude.

I read a comment posted by Tom (?) yesterday about creative individuals. Going to have to look it up on my history and give him a thanks.

As for the meaninglessness of life, I figure life exhibits enough design to suggest a creator of some type. Where there's design, there's probably meaning. Smoke and fire.

Either we make it up ourselves or we try to find it. Making it up seems the easier path.

Last edited:
PAUL, Thanks.

Cali, Are you English?

Birdie,

I had to look up the plot to Typewriter in The Sky. You've got a creative mind, dude.

I read a comment posted by Tom (?) yesterday about creative individuals. Going to have to look it up on my history and give him a thanks.

As for the meaninglessness of life, I figure life exhibits enough design to suggest a creator of some type. Where there's design, there's probably meaning. Smoke and fire.

Either we make it up ourselves or we try to find it. Making it us seems the easier path.

of course there's a creator, a real sharpie. he made turds tapered on the end so your asshole wouldn't slam shut

(another good line i so uncreatively stole from someone)

BardoThodol

[And what could possibly have created the creator?]

Cali,

Don't have a clue. It's above my pay grade. Rumor has it Assange was just about to leak that exact document which is the REAL reason for his troubles.

BardoThodol

of course there's a creator, a real sharpie. he made turds tapered on the end so your asshole wouldn't slam shut

(another good line i so uncreatively stole from someone)

Birdie,

And a healthy sphincter helps prevent life's daily dose of santorum from staining the drawers.

Oh, yeah, I guess your earlier quote came from Robert S de Ropp. Had to look him up. Couldn't find that exact quote, but then again, didn't look too hard. Interesting guy. I guess I'll have to add him to my ever growing list of authors to read.

Caliwog

Patron Meritorious
Caliwog said:
And what could possibly have created the creator?
Don't have a clue. It's above my pay grade. Rumor has it Assange was just about to leak that exact document which is the REAL reason for his troubles.

Last sentence: Flunk for being glib. :)

So the "design" of things around you makes you sure there is a creator, but when we get to what could possibly have designed the creator, suddenly you're not sure of anything?

Come on, Al. If the simple stuff around us requires a creator, then surely that creator had to be created by something or someone even more magnificent. And the creator's creator... and the creator's creator's creator...

Suggest you introduce yourself to my homie Mr. Darwin.

BardoThodol

Last sentence: Flunk for being glib. :)

So the "design" of things around you makes you sure there is a creator, but when we get to what could possibly have designed the creator, suddenly you're not sure of anything?

Come on, Al. If the simple stuff around us requires a creator, then surely that creator had to be created by something or someone even more magnificent. And the creator's creator... and the creator's creator's creator...

Suggest you introduce yourself to my homie Mr. Darwin.

Cali,

(Warning: the following contains more lies from the lying bastard. Seekers of truth, beware?)

(Sub-warning: The following should be read to the tune of "Mary had a little lamb." Maybe. Not seriously, for sure. Not as a lecture. For entertainment value only. May contain failed logic.)

Start!

Considering the moments spent wrestling that demon, probably "facetious" rather than "glib."

As a careful analyst, you probably noted that the statement actually read "suggests a creator."

Suggests.

Suggest neither denotes or connotes certainty. Too much certainty is just off putting.

Theory grows from what facts suggest.

Phenomena in Astrophysics suggest a Big Bang. Just a theory. Might not be true.

The Big Bang: a theory fraught with evolution. Just imagine. All those pre-atomic particles suddenly released, rushing forth, trying to find a date for the prom. Wild times. Promiscuous. Infinitesimally small particles joining together to form the most basic of elements, drifting around, joining as gases that gain more and more mass--until...

...stars burst forth, a crucible in which carbon and iron emerge.

Nothing apparently alive yet.

Apparently.

The stars whizzing off into space or pre-space for millions or billions of years until they begin to go supernova. Unimaginable forces collapsing in on one another. Newer and heavier elements forming, until we have material for... wedding rings. Material to blow up our neighbors.

But applying your model (of creators creating creators ad infinitum), what caused the cause that caused the cause (ad infinitum) that became the Big Bang?

Hmmmm.

That mirrors facing each other create an illusion of infinite reflection doesn't mean something isn't sitting behind the mirrors.

At some point in both science and religion, you just have to shrug and accept that some things just are, existing without a precedent.

So the patterns of life to me suggest a designer, a creator, that needs no precedent.

I love Darwin. He contributed so much to our thinking. Vilified when he proposed his theory, vilified today. He was, and still is, considered a "dangerous" thinker. Recently, in Kansas, the Religious Right wanted Charlie's works banned in public schools, wanted his theory replaced with creationism--or at least, in a moment of reflection, demanded creationism be taught as an alternative theory. Even Fox news slams Darwin's work. "Fair and balanced." Got to keep those advertising dollars flowing.

Creationism has many flavors. Abrahamic religions, such as Christianity, emphasize a single creator. Monotheism. Many religions offer up a panoply of creators, sort of a smorgasbord of who did what. Polytheism. Scientology rewarmed that family favorite, "we're all just creating it" and brought it to the buffet.

Of course, several others had already plopped down their green-bean-casserole version of Eastern creationism for Western diners. Too much curry? Sorry. You'll develop a taste for it.

Creationism stutter steps around the vastness of this universe. Me oh my, pumpkin pie, it's big. Bigger than a triple Whopper with cheese. Eating the idea of creationism will blow your philosophical calorie allocation in a couple of bites. God, just fills you right up. You have to postulate this omnipotent, omniscient being who can manufacture mankind before the steam leaves the coffee cup. (Ooops. Spilled my coffee. Let's sue McDonald's.)

Oh yeah, faster than light. Faster than time. All knowing. All powerful.

Yet, as I've pointed out to others, I'd like to see someone create a Porsche I can drive. Poof. 911 Targa. No assembly lines. No digging up metal ores. Just poof. Leather interior. Beefed up amps. Mild to wild mufflers. Vrooom. Vrooom.

The theory of evolution needn't gainsay creationism. Perhaps the creator or creators are evolving in sophistication, starting out with very primitive ideas, applying those, sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing, always learning, always building a storehouse of technique and possibility.

Perhaps, animism has validity and each physical particle is actually alive with consciousness, however minute. Omnipresence. God is everywhere. Some particles and combinations having more consciousness than others. Just as some elements have more atomic weight. Maybe that's why some individuals don't perceive themselves as a spirit or soul--because they're not, because they lack the requisite consciousness, the radioactivity, regardless of intelligence.

Who knows? I don't. After all, look at the Periodic Table: same stuff comprising helium and plutonium, just in different combinations. Then look at how many different molecules can be fashioned from just that small number of distinct atoms.

Despite what Hubbard said, is it possible some have souls, some not?

Perhaps, man was NOT created in one moment of inspiration that had no precedent. Perhaps the creator (creators) actually did begin with one-celled creatures that were extremely crude. Or perhaps pre-organisms were attempted.

I don't know. A gnostic admitting humanistic agnosticism. I have failed.

Because both "glib" and "flunk" serve as trigger words in baiting Scientologists, the use of both in one sentence suggest a certain intent.

Of course, you walk out to the patio and find it splattered with blood. The presence of blood suggests horrifying events. Turns out the kids were experimenting with recipes for fake blood.

Once again, I don't know. Flunk me all you wish.

I tried it on the wall, "flunk!" and it didn't respond. Maybe the wall is brighter, serene in its allocation of consciiousness. It certainly holds its form more persistently than I hold my thoughts. Doom on you, wall. Off-putting certainty, and all. I'd hit it, but that'd probably break my hand. Evil, nasty wall.

In Scientology, "glib" is a condemnation. "Glib" for a Scientologist is a pretense of knowing, the pretense smoothly delivered.

In my circles, "glib" is a compliment. We place a premium on quick, facile wit. To know immediately and express fluently seems a virtue, highly respected and valued. Why waltz with clumsy, heavy steps?

Most scientific and artistic achievements come in bursts of sudden insight. Having inspirations is a good thing. The more, the better. Makes life entertaining.

As for the "flunk." Falling on your face and making a fool of yourself is hardly serious. I highly recommend it. Promotes humility.

To flunk for not knowing? Individuals who know all there is to know and can never be wrong seldom dine with us. We prefer experimenting with new fare-- green-bean-caserole loses its appeal after a while.

As for destructive thoughts (of which I've been accused) having "destructive thoughts" isn't grounds for ostracism in some circles--Kansas Board of Education be damned.

As Darwin proved, it's not your schtick as much as your audience. As my favorite dudette keeps telling me, "Opportunity costs, dude. Why play for an audience that wants you off the stage when the bar down the street just sold out your show? Some people actually like your act."

I know I promised brevity, so I won't launch into how Sputnik crashed into the American school system, sending up a cloud of science and math that blocked out recess. I won't talk about how that cloud dropped the concept of numerical bases onto our young skulls. Nor how concept of numerical bases can be applied to ideologies, which helps explain why different people observing the same thing come to different answers. So, I won't be able to seque into how that applies to this message board. All that must go to the gluttons at my table.

Doom on you, brevity.

As for the long post... I frequent other sites that have nothing to do with LRH and Scientology. It's a cross post--slightly modified. Quadruple duty. Thought it might entertain the lurkers who seem to be running up the views on this thread.

Thanks for the inspiration, Cali.

Birdie,

And a healthy sphincter helps prevent life's daily dose of santorum from staining the drawers.

Oh, yeah, I guess your earlier quote came from Robert S de Ropp. Had to look him up. Couldn't find that exact quote, but then again, didn't look too hard. Interesting guy. I guess I'll have to add him to my ever growing list of authors to read.

the quote is from "the master game". it's not in print but it should be. of course with the kindles etc being out of print doesn't mean anything any more, i guess. i think you're in for a treat. in fact i'm surprised you haven't already come across the book.
deropp was the best known student of peter ouspensky himself the best known student of g. i. gurdjieff, whose school, the institute for the development of the harmonious human being (IDHHB) endures and is listed by CoS as a "suppressive group". i read it before i began studying scn & dn and it was superb preparation as it inoculated me against several psychological diseases which are endemic in CoS

BardoThodol

the quote is from "the master game". it's not in print but it should be. of course with the kindles etc being out of print doesn't mean anything any more, i guess. i think you're in for a treat. in fact i'm surprised you haven't already come across the book.
deropp was the best known student of peter ouspensky himself the best known student of g. i. gurdjieff, whose school, the institute for the development of the harmonious human being (IDHHB) endures and is listed by CoS as a "suppressive group". i read it before i began studying scn & dn and it was superb preparation as it inoculated me against several psychological diseases which are endemic in CoS

Birdie,

Just checked Amazon. Lots of used copies. Ordered one. Think I'll order all of his stuff, along with any Gurdjieff and Ouspensky that I can't find in the library.

After I left Scientology, I almost never got more than 4 hours of sleep a night. Too busy trying to squeeze so much in. Lot of authors I missed. I'd marginalized Gurdjieff for some reason. Maybe I was just tired of listening to others try to tell me what I could or couldn't perceive.

So, I went on my own spiritual walk about. Now, I can see what these guys were talking about better.

Curious what "psychological diseases" you're referring to.

Was just shopping. Joni Mitchell started playing. Long time since I've heard the song. But the lyrics have been playing in my head since I began reading here.

Michael

BardoThodol

Great lyrics by Joni Mitchell

Bows and flows of angel hair and ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere, i've looked at cloud that way.
But now they only block the sun, they rain and snow on everyone.
So many things i would have done but clouds got in my way.

I've looked at clouds from both sides now,
From up and down, and still somehow
It's cloud illusions i recall.
I really don't know clouds at all.

Moons and junes and ferris wheels, the dizzy dancing way you feel
As every fairy tale comes real; i've looked at love that way.
But now it's just another show. you leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care, don't let them know, don't give yourself away.

I've looked at love from both sides now,
From give and take, and still somehow
It's love's illusions i recall.
I really don't know love at all.

Tears and fears and feeling proud to say "i love you" right out loud,
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds, i've looked at life that way.
But now old friends are acting strange, they shake their heads, they say
I've changed.
Something's lost but something's gained in living every day.

I've looked at life from both sides now,
From win and lose, and still somehow
It's life's illusions i recall.
I really don't know life at all.

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'll go walking in circles
While doubting the very ground beneath me
Trying to show unquestioning faith in everything

David Sylvian/Ryuichi Sakamoto
Forbidden Colours

While talking about Christianity, this song has relevance to all who get out only to find comfort back in.

Birdie,

Just checked Amazon. Lots of used copies. Ordered one. Think I'll order all of his stuff, along with any Gurdjieff and Ouspensky that I can't find in the library.

After I left Scientology, I almost never got more than 4 hours of sleep a night. Too busy trying to squeeze so much in. Lot of authors I missed. I'd marginalized Gurdjieff for some reason. Maybe I was just tired of listening to others try to tell me what I could or couldn't perceive.

So, I went on my own spiritual walk about. Now, I can see what these guys were talking about better.

Curious what "psychological diseases" you're referring to.

Was just shopping. Joni Mitchell started playing. Long time since I've heard the song. But the lyrics have been playing in my head since I began reading here.

Michael

the hunt the guru syndrome

the starry eyed syndrome

the curse of the cult syndrome

these are three of the seven listed and described

ouspensky's "tertium organum" will tell you how to build your own space/time continuum. ponderous as is also his "fourth way"

gerjoof's "meetings with remarkable men" is a good read. it was made into a passably fair flick back in 1980. his "beelzebub's tales to his grandson" has sat on my best pal's bookshelf for nearly two decades and i have yet to crack it

G

Gottabrain

BardoThodol;645702 Don't have a clue. It's above my pay grade. .[/QUOTE said:
What's that about the gay parade? What would you like to know about it?

2728779512_bb2ef7cb67.jpg

BardoThodol

What's that about the gay parade? What would you like to know about it?

2728779512_bb2ef7cb67.jpg

I've been reading this board, enjoying the intelligence, the wit, the logic. So many sharing their stories, making friends. So much change and healing.

DM would have held up this picture as proof that gays should be destroyed. Hubbard said in "Science of Survival" that 1.1 perverts should be rounded up and exterminated. Every fascist that's walked the face of this Earth has wanted to wipe out the gays.

When we've killed all the gays, who will be next?

As repulsive as that photo may be, they are exercising their human rights as guaranteed by law.

I wonder what Paul Haggis would say on seeing that picture posted here.

BardoThodol

the hunt the guru syndrome

the starry eyed syndrome

the curse of the cult syndrome

these are three of the seven listed and described

ouspensky's "tertium organum" will tell you how to build your own space/time continuum. ponderous as is also his "fourth way"

gerjoof's "meetings with remarkable men" is a good read. it was made into a passably fair flick back in 1980. his "beelzebub's tales to his grandson" has sat on my best pal's bookshelf for nearly two decades and i have yet to crack it

Did he include the "you must know more than I do so I'll let you think for me" syndrome?

Or the "higher calling justifies any crime" syndrome?

Too many books dealing with mysticism and spirituality are just plain difficult to read. Turgid and confusing. The author is dealing with experience for which little language exists, and which if you can experience, you don't need language. The Tao did ok with it.