An escape for the ages

Discussion in 'Leaving Scientology' started by Caroline, Dec 13, 2016.

View Users: View Users
  1. DagwoodGum

DagwoodGum Conspiracy Analyst

Hated those! But mostly I was horrified over the full disclosure of what out of tune thinking went into it. For me it was a masterpiece of proof that Hubbard had goofed the phloof, as he would say, and completely exposed hisself as a brain damaged, demented fraud and The Grand Pooba of All Posers. And with that front and center in my mind as the thematic album of my exodus I made my final tracks out of the "Church" of Gynecology.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Poop Poop x 1
    • List
  2. Caroline

Caroline Patron Meritorious

Hi! We’re doing well, fighting the good fight. Gerry recently visited Russia for the seventh time -- to help Canada’s big neighbor on our other border with understanding Scientology and its dangers. Just yesterday Russian media included excerpts from an interview he did at that time.

Good question about the Aftermath. I watched the whole series. There was some confused and false messaging I had wanted to respond to from Season One, and decided to transcribe some video excerpts. While watching the first episodes on tv at regular speed, I had noticed a couple of words flash quickly by in the title segments, but didn’t pay much attention to them.

However, in the process of transcribing sections containing false messages that I’d noted, I inspected the clips with flashing words and noticed that the sequences included more words that I had initially recognized. Eventually I located dozens of subliminal sequences in the series, at least one sequence per episode.

The subliminals consist of emotionally charged profiling terms and memes relevant to the audience Remini and Rinder target. These terms include: “HERETIC; OUTCAST; ENEMY; APOSTATE; VICTIM; SURVIVOR; TRAITOR; BELIEVER; DEFECTOR.” Most of the terms are delivered at rates between 33 and 67 milliseconds, well within the “subliminal threshold.” (Reference: Radu, I. M. (2016 October-December). Subliminal perception of complex visual stimuli. Romanian Journal of Ophthalmology, 60(4), 226-230. PDF format. Retrieved from US National Library of Medicine)

I deconstructed the subliminal sequences frame by frame using open source video editing software called Avidemux. Available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/avidemux/. The software registers frame speeds down to the millisecond, and provides other technical information.

I made transcripts of each episode and posted the relevant excerpts on my Scientology research site: http://scientology-research.org/malignant-persuasion/ On that page, I also include a number of related scientific articles and Scientology-specific documents. The sequences are not identical. There are variations in the timing, the backgrounds and in the choices of flashing words.

There are also subliminal sequences in several free “Bonus” videos on A&E’s YouTube channel. Free “Bonus” A&E videos:

My transcript with deconstructed subliminal sequence): http://scientology-research.org/tra...h-the-irs-bonus-ae-subliminal-messaging-2017/

My transcript: http://scientology-research.org/tra...the-aftermath-bulldog-determination-bonus-ae/

My transcript: http://scientology-research.org/tra...gy-the-aftermath-commanding-officer-bonus-ae/

A number of mainstream media outlets included Aftermath subliminal sequences in their promotional trailers and reviews. One example:

abc 2020 (2017) :

Transcript: http://scientology-research.org/transcript-a-war-without-guns-abc-20-20-subliminals-2017/

Fortunately, my experiment can be replicated at no cost. Simply download one of the above videos from YT, and inspect it in Avidemux. The full episodes are available for purchase on A&E’s YouTube channel, but are not available for download. In order to make the transcripts, I grabbed the full episodes using video capturing software called “Snag-It.” I then stabilized the captured footage by “producing” it in Cyberlink PowerDirector.

Subliminals are by nature deceptive and manipulative. Clearly the producers of the series embedded them purposefully, so there is excellent reason to conclude that their agenda is not what they claim.

In my opinion, the subliminal issue adds a dimension to what we can discern about Rinder’s overall agenda. He obviously thought they were a necessary part of his campaign, and they probably were necessary to help “rehabilitate” his terrible PR. In my opinion, however, he has never been worthy of trust, and the public should be aware of his menace.

With Remini, my first impression was that she could be duped like most of us were. However, it is virtually impossible that she is ignorant about the subject subliminals in her production. Of course Rinder was a corporate insider -- in the conspiracy operating the cult -- and hadn't been duped since at least 1982.

It has been reported that the production will return for a third season, with a focus on the IRS. To me, this focus for the Aftermath series is more or less laughable.

As is very well known here on ESMB and around the world, Mike Rinder has utterly failed to address his decades-long fair game campaign against key persons, notably Gerry Armstrong. The Armstrong case was a critically important issue in the negotiations that led to the tax exemption. Our collection of related documents: http://armstrong-op.gerryarmstrong.ca/documents/irs/

In order to do something effective about the IRS, Rinder would have to come clean about what he and his co-conspirators did to Gerry Armstrong, and what they did, including to Gerry, to get the cult its undeserved tax exemption.

I’ll be interested to see what the producers do about the subliminals in Season 3. I have notified legal counsel for the Aftermath production and have received confirmation of receipt, but have received no response to date.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  3. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

I understand that Gerry has every right to demand a forthcoming from Mike and both Gerry and Caroline have done great work for which everyone should be immensely grateful, but I don't see where the flashing of these words in Aftermath is a contentious issue for anyone except the COS. It isn't so fast and subtle that it is what I would characterize as subliminal or manipulative. I can see it without any aids and I take it as a legitimate graphic effect to draw attention to the Church's secretive paranoid culture and covert manipulative methods of demonizing and destroying it's many perceived enemies.

The anti-Scientology community has elevated shoops and satirical commentary to an art form and I find this to be completely consistent with that. We live in a digital age where imagery can be highly refined and edited so fast that a lot of it gets compressed to the point of being just within the realm of visual registration. I think we understand that that is part of the world we now live in and it is motivated by a desire to reduce video length and minimize expense as much as anything.

OK, now maybe this is a bit of a derail but can somebody tell me just WTF this is?

Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 12.35.21 PM.jpg

It is at .17 in the Scientology "Curious" add:

Is it a Stargate, an inter-dimensional portal to another reality? Are we supposed to be seeing a snowy peaked mountain through a camera lens to impart the idea that Scientology will elevate us to all new spiritual heights? What PR Marketing Survey gave them this image as a positioning button so important that it needed to be included in a Superbowl add?

Tell me if your eyes are fast enough to register it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  4. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Hi Caroline, I very much appreciate the work you and Gerry have been doing to make others aware of the dangers of Scientology, both in Russia and elsewhere!

:thankyou:

With regard to the use of subliminals used in TV, I'm not a fan of them either, and agree that they're manipulative. But the use of subliminals doesn't necessarily indicate that one has an agenda different from the programming they're embedded into. They can and often do align with the purpose of the programming.

If they're being used in Leah's show I don't see how it's obvious that Mike and Leah are even aware of their presence; I would think others are involved with that aspect of the shows production.

5. Bill

Bill Gold Meritorious Patron

What Caroline is referring to is the opening sequence where it says "Leah Remini" and below that, in quick succession, a bunch of, mostly pejorative, words -- kind of referencing all the nasty things the CoS has said about her. There is no evil or even subliminal intent there. I see it as a tongue in cheek nod to Leah's acceptance that she will be viciously attacked by the CoS.

Let me emphasize this point: the title sequence on the Aftermath IS NOT SUBLIMINAL. While quick, it is quite readable. Subliminal is much quicker. Do not accuse Leah of subliminal additions where it is OBVIOUSLY not subliminal. It is visible and readable -- by definition NOT SUBLIMINAL.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Caroline

Hi, and thanks.

Leah certainly implies that she's deeply into the editing process here:

According to recent scientific literature, subliminals change activity levels in different parts of our brains, including the part that processes emotion:

7. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

While Leah may have been deeply involved in the editing process, editing scenes is not the same thing as adding in effects of any kind, or subliminals for that matter.

And I just haven't seen any evidence that either Leah or Mike have an agenda different from what's advertised.

On people who were involved in the CoS that were involved with any harmful activities, including Mike, I try to withhold judgement until after the final scene plays out. I do hope that any differences between him and Gerry are eventually resolved, and would love to see that done on Leah's show!

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Caroline

FCC Press Statement: Commissioner Gloria Tristani (March 9, 2001)
    Tristani, C. G. (2001-03-09). PRESS STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER GLORIA TRISTANI. Washington, D.C.: FCC Retrieved from https://transition.fcc.gov/Speeches/Tristani/Statements/2001/stgt123.html.

9. Caroline

Leah Remini promoted Steve Hassan’s book on Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath (Season 1, Episode 8).

[​IMG]

Notes

Hassan, S. (1988) Combating Cult Mind Control. Park Street Press

* Emphasis mine. Cf. Subliminal messaging in Leah Remini: Scientology & The Aftermath (all episodes). Examples: Season 1, Episode 0; Episode 2

See also: Transcript: Cult expert Steven Hassan on his emotional reaction to the Aftermath series (S1 E8) (2017)

10. Caroline

Historical and Legal Implications of Subliminal Messaging in the Multimedia: Unconscious Subjects
    Salpeter, L. R., & Swirsky, J. I. (2012). Historical and Legal Implications of Subliminal Messaging in the Multimedia: Unconscious Subjects. Nova Law Review, 36(3), 25.

Full article in PDF format: https://nsuworks.nova.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1047&context=nlr/

11. Gib

Gib Crusader

I agree, there is difference between sublime and sublimity. I still contend Hubbard used sublime, elevated thought, that is achieving the state of clear, and then OT, to entrap.

Clear and OT are elevated thoughts to achieve for anybody.

http://www.wdog.com/brian/Scriptorium/sublime_etym.htm

"In philosophy and poetics, something is sublime if it is raised (both by the speaker-poet and by the reader-thinker) "up to" [ibid., sublime] or above the lintel. Around the year 50 A.D., "Longinus" (a pseudopigraphal attribution) made "sublime" his subject in his Greek treatise Peri Hypsous (hypsos, "height, elevation") [PEP, 819]. Longinus took a rhetorical term that referred to the style of writing or oration, and made it refer to "the general phenomenon of greatness in literature, prose and poetry alike. ‘Longinus’ regards sublimity above all as a thing of the spirit, a spark that leaps from the soul of the writer to the soul of his reader" [ibid.]. "‘Sublimity is the echo of greatness of spirit’" "Longinus" wrote [ibid.]."

And what is dianetics and scientology supposed to produce per the Grade Chart, a clear and then OT, both sublime in thought.

12. Caroline

Here is a view of the Nightline interview in PowerDirector. Timelines like this are pretty common in higher end software. They`re handy for navigation and can be zoomed for precision editing. Of course I don`t know what software Leah Remini was using for her production.

(For a breakdown of the actual subliminal frames in this video, go here: http://scientology-research.org/tra...-and-the-aftermath-series-abc-nightline-2016/

[​IMG]

13. cakemaker

cakemaker Patron Meritorious

There's nothing subliminal about the opening sequence of Aftermath.

Subliminal messages are something completely different than a rapid fire opening sequence of what Leah has been accused of by the Cof$.
    Usually subliminal messages are a single frame embedded in a non-related scene with a specific command (not used these days because of the ease of detection with modern digital tools).

That rapid fire intro is simply a common effect used to draw the audience's attention and imply a sense of urgency and controversy.

In a series such as this, it's the producer who engages someone whose talent it is to create opening and closing credits. It's not usual for the personalities in the main show to be involved in that aspect. Regardless, there's no hidden agenda.

Accusing Leah of employing subliminal tactics for some nefarious purpose is a real stretch.
    What next - chemtrails in the background?

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. DagwoodGum

I used to have some programmable subliminal software that I used on my office computer. By programmable I mean that you could change, remove and add whatever messages you wanted to flash on your screen as well as adjust the speed at which the images would appear and disappear. You could slow the tempo way down to where you could actually see them for a split second. The idea was to bombard your subconscious with positive messages that were soothing and beneficial so as to make your time slaving away on your work station pc therapeutic, character building and healing. I thought it worked anyway and it flashed away its messages at my subconscious for years, before I retired. But these were NOT images that you could read by any means while you were working and not like the single words that are used in the Aftermath series at all. Their word usage is to communicate the essence of what they are about to delve into, not to trick your subconscious into receiving a message as they are readable to the conscious mind which is not any part of the theory of subliminal messaging. I may still have the software but you should still be able to find it available on Ebay where I bought mine for under $30. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBLIMINAL...774740?hash=item1cacc68194:g:3kMAAOSwWmlZdOhN
    https://www.ebay.com/str/voodoo-speller?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  15. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks for your reply Caroline. It is good to know you are still very active and diligently working away at exposing the con and expressing both your views in some much greater detail than I expected. I only scanned the rest of this thread and will delve into it at a time more appropriate for myself.
    Both of your contributions of the past and present are in my opinion very valuable.

Keep on trucking.

16. Tanchi

Tanchi Patron with Honors

I am a never in lurker who rarely posts. Nearly every week, I find something new about Scientologys web. From cobwebs to internet webs, it goes on and on.

One thing that puzzles me is Gerry Armstrong. I understand what he has told, and that many feel if it weren't for his discovery of dox, and subsequent actions - removing and preserving them, the con of Elron might not have been exposed so soon.

What confuses me is this - over the years, there have been several open letters to... other COS critics, in which Mr Armstrong takes exception to words used in book titles, seeming, to me, to word clear then deconstruct statements made by exes.

It's confusing, because he takes it point by point, and I can't figure out why all that energy is being channeled into it.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. cakemaker

cakemaker Patron Meritorious

Just don't plug in "The Affirmations"! :)

• LOL LOL x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  18. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

Oh, I don't know. Although I don't particularly agree that there is some nefarious intent behind the example being given in "Aftermath", this is what we do here. Scientology is a study in the use of nomenclature to manipulate people. LRH even came out and essentially told us that the bizarre nature of Scientology was a kind of natural defense against the wog world because they couldn't relate to it. The complexity of Scientology and it's nomenclature provides a kind of plausible defense because it is so weird that they can say critics just don't understand us and then they are free to redefine what Hubbard said in non-Scientology terms that are again per policy, "acceptable truths".

I especially like Gerry's dissertation on the use of the term SP (Suppressive Person). It's Scientology context is very much like how the Nazis characterized Jews as vermin and extremely illustrative of how they think and behave as a group.

In a legal setting what we say has weight in court. If a Scientologist says "We are giving you a 21 year Leave of Absence", what they really mean is we have given up on you. Your body is garbage and you're of no further use to us so you have permission to die now or we are Fitness Boarding you, giving you $500.00, tossing you out on the street and we expect you to re-enlist for the Sea Org with your new body in 21 years. In wog speak the translation would be, "You're too old and sick so you're fired with no benefits". How would that sound in an employee discrimination case?

The whole subject is like this.

19. DagwoodGum

Yes, Hubbard's "affirmations" would lead one to murderous psychosis if used at all.

20. Tanchi

Tanchi Patron with Honors

Okay. Eeeuuwww. I just googled it. A lot of it is posted in Wikipedia. Eeuuww.