An Open Letter to Mary DeMoss

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by Churchill, Nov 18, 2015.

View Users: View Users
  1. Churchill

Churchill Gold Meritorious Patron

I'm posting this with the hope that you'll read it and find it within yourself to speak about your Scientology experiences.

You are well-known, thanks to the internet, and your past dedication to Scientology was total and beyond questioning.

In the years since you left, I hope you've achieved a measure of healing and a greater degree of clarity on the subject

I, like you, was once a ferocious defender of Scientology.

But with the clarity that time... and healing provide, I can say I was wrong...very wrong, in doing what I did.

You and I have never met, Mary, but if, by some chance, you read this, and if you have reached a point in your life where truth and redemption hold a special meaning for you,

I hope you will reach out to Tony Ortega or Mark Bunker and talk.

Thanks for reading this.

Thanks, Mary

2. Smurf

Smurf Gold Meritorious SP

I have comm'd with Mary in Colorado who has moved on & has no interest in discussing her Scientology past. Not all ex's who leave the cult choose to speak out. Her behavior while under the cult mindfuck speaks for itself.

She is happily raising her teenage son & working as an environment consultant.

3. Churchill

Understood. Hopefully it's not set in stone, though

Thanks, Smurf.

People change. Just look at us.

And hope, as they say, springs eternal.

4. DeeAnna

DeeAnna Patron Meritorious

Churchill,
    I do not understand why you would ask for one certain person like this to "come out" with their story. Is this someone you knew personally? Had a relationship with?

Even as a never in, I feel that people deserve their privacy.

I don't understand why you would spotlight a person like this.

Just asking.

5. Churchill

She was referenced in The Underground Bunker today in connection with Lisa McPherson.

As an ex-Scientologist, I agree that people deserve their privacy.

Hope you understand.

6. Boson Wog Stark

Boson Wog Stark Patron Meritorious

Yeah, it'd be nice to know as much detail as possible about Lisa's ordeal, and people's remembrances of it, especially because it is an important part of Scientology history, and when those people are dead, it is gone forever.

I don't think Mary knows anything of importance, because she was new to Clearwater then and low on the totem pole, but if she did know something surrounding the McPherson case, she would fear drawing the attention of Miscavige, or another cult member who is as much of a nutty zealot now as she was when she was in.:omg:

7. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

For people who were big players on staff or in the SO and fucked people's lives up in a major way, I don't see the harm in asking them to do a little bit of service to some of them by speaking out...somehow. She could help to prevent others getting fucked over by the cult too.

I strongly disagree that people who were more than small bit players just get to say "I've moved on now". If they do say that, my response to them is: "Well fuck you too!". "Moving on and bringing up their child or children" doesn't make it any better AFAICS.

8. arcxcauseblows

arcxcauseblows Patron Meritorious

i bet she's a funny character i'd like to see her do a response video to her old youtube videos now that hopefully her head is out of the sand, that would be a warm welcomed redemption in my book

9. tetloj

tetloj Silver Meritorious Patron

Given that information is so compartmentalised in Scientology it sometimes takes very small pieces of information to fit the larger pieces together.

She has a right to not speak, of course. But I can understand a polite request that she does.

:yes:

10. prosecco

prosecco Patron Meritorious

Guess you're not a, 'never regret yesterday...' type of person? :yes:

11. The_Fixer

The_Fixer Class Clown

Agreed.

When someone is pretty high up the totem pole, I do feel there is some responsibility and obligation involved to inform others about the stuff that went on.

They weren't just letter writers and book sellers. They helped the cult directly to further their abuses and misery, so I don't feel it is too much to simply ask them to share their views and some experiences.

Of course, It is entirely up to them to do so or not, but no harm just asking. No pressure either.

12. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

I think there are probably hundreds if not thousands of people who have left the cult and were witness to or party to extremely "out-PR" events...if not outright crimes, who have some responsibilty to go on the record and tell the truth. Because you know the policy of the cult was to cover everything up and destroy evidence.

All we have are witnesses. And if these witnesses don't come forward because they just want to "live their lives" ....then that history can be lost forever.

I understand the pressure they might feel. Maybe the best we can hope for will be deathbed statements. But how many more new people will get wrapped up in the cult in the interim?

I said it before on another thread....we can't have too many tell-all books about cult abuses.

And if Cruise would write a book, maybe all the others would be unnecessary. He could take down the cult with a press conference. LOL

13. Churchill

It has been 7 or 8 years since Mary left Scientology.

After I left, it took me over 20 years before I found the courage to speak.

Thought I should mention that.

14. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

Yes. And that's why people need to be encouraged and supported to start to speak out in a way they feel comfortable with and where they can feel safe, rather than having it suggested that just moving on and shutting up forever is an accepted way to deal with the cult. Thanks for speaking out Cc.

15. tetloj

tetloj Silver Meritorious Patron

Exactly. Speaking out in a safe and supportive environment can help people move past guilt and shame, which are terrible things that can just eat away at a person.

:hug:

16. The_Fixer

The_Fixer Class Clown

I feel in most cases it would help those persons to find closure about their past if they did and begin to address the guilt issues as well.

Burying it doesn't usually make it all go away either.

17. Lone Star

Lone Star Crusader

I think many of you are assuming that she feels any guilt. I doubt that she does. She helped to destroy the LMT and therefore helped DM to cover up the manslaughter of Lisa. She should at least apologize.

She moved to Colorado and has moved on with her life. Good for her. Lisa couldn't do that, nor can many others who are less fortunate than Mary.

Personally, I think some of you guys just have the warmies for her because she's kinda hot. Yep. Even Mark Bunker did.

Hot or not, she's a reprehensible person.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  18. Churchill

I suppose some people who leave Scientology manage to do so without ever looking back, although for me, the de-construction of Hubbard's "Freedom Trap" has been both enormously gratifying, while difficult.

There came a point in the peeling of the Scientological onion when the sheer enormity of the malevolence took shape and came into focus, as the "fog slowly lifted" and "mask of goodness" fell to the ground (to mix metaphors.)

Holy fuck, it's NOT about a "world without war, or criminality" at all!

What followed was the awful recognition that, far from saving mankind, I had (and we all have) helped Hubbard enslave people and cause untold suffering.

That terrible betrayal of trust and idealism, with the recognition of one's own participation in that machinery of evil is what inexorably leads to a search for redemption, which, in the end, is the only thing that gives any true meaning to the tragic mistake of joining Scientology in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  19. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Dear Churchill,

Your courage is appreciated.
    You've educated many ignorant folks. Thank you.

To those who choose to educate, thank you.
    A song...

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GgiZz-aqheU[/video]

JB

20. lotus

lotus autonomous rebellous

Please, don't forget to forgive yourself!
    It seems you have now transmuted any wrongdoing into goodwill and kindness